Need New Prebuilt Computer

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Matrix

Need New Prebuilt Computer

Post by Matrix »

Mine computer is ok now but its 4.5 years old now and a lot of new games giving it some troubles, my friend built it and it came out to about 1000. I am looking for something in similar range 800-1100 lets say, but i would rather not bother him again and buy it pre built. I dont play that much this days, but when i do, i would prefer it to be at good quality.
Any good places to look for it?
tgb

Re: Need New Prebuilt Computer

Post by tgb »

Dell, if you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks. Or check out the neighborhood Best Buy.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

tgb wrote:Dell, if you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks. Or check out the neighborhood Best Buy.
I dont know, Dell doesnt seem to be a real gaming rig to me. And i dont think i want to pay premium for Alienware brand, which is also owned by Dell. Any comps on new egg or Dell allows enough customization?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Digital Storm's Vanquish Gaming PC is worth a look if you're after an economically-priced gaming system.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You want customization options? Go with Cyberpower. My current gaming rig came from them and was ~$1100.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Thanks for heads up, i really like Digital storm machine for 1k . Thoughts or opinions on it?

Just ran my machine on 3d mark and got this http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8/di ... 9097945251

Ya, need new machines soon. Surprisingly my video card held up best.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Assuming you're looking at the $1k model, it looks decent. The processor and video card are better than the ones I got in January of last year. I ended up with a similar HDD as my boot drive and added a 2GB slower drive for data. Worked out pretty well, as I had to RMA the boot drive when it went bad. I also went with a higher watt power supply (850 vs. 600) for a bit more future-proof in upgrades, but I probably went overboard there.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote:You want customization options? Go with Cyberpower. My current gaming rig came from them and was ~$1100.
This is what I'm currently still running, from when nehalem first came out. It's been a really solid system (though they shipped a crossfire board with an nVidia card), and I feel I could game on it for another few years). I did eventually upgrade RAM (from 6GB to 18, mostly because it was cheap), an SSD (tho mobo doesn't have 6Gb SATA - I don't think it had been invented), and the video card (it shipped with a 9800 GTX+, which was solid until I wanted to max out the textures in Skyrim).

I've been eyeing haswell and the core i9's, but I don't really need it (though SATA 3 would be nice with the SSD...). Realistically, next step will be a 27" IPS monitor that scales above 1080p.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

tgb wrote:Dell, if you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks. Or check out the neighborhood Best Buy.
I don't find Dell's to be good bangs for the buck. If you get a business class machine then you pay a lot more for a lot machine that seems to have a good reliability.

If you pay for a home machine, you get better technology for the same money but the quality is lacking to say the least.

I don't know about quality anymore but alienware has desktops starting at $699

http://www.alienware.com/Landings/desktops.aspx" target="_blank
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I like Digital Storm. I got one a few years ago. It was a higher end one. And from before they started offering "canned" machines. But no problems so far.

My GF got one of the canned options. It's been going strong for over a year. Though it looks like one of the fans may be thinking about barfing.

I also had a co-worker get one. For his sons. He said it's doing great.

I like that they cleaned up the install for me. No bloatware tacked on.
I like that they did my overclocking for me. And thoroughly tested it.
I like that I got both an install image and a windows disk. A real one - not some kind of Dell bastardization.

When I got mine I did a price lookup on the components. I found that buying the items separately would likely run me really close to what I was paying. So for $100-200 they put it together, configured it, tested, etc. And I got a warranty. Seemed worth it.

I'd definitely use them again.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

I am getting old, and no longer want to build my own.
I also hate mail-ordering PCs.

So my last two "builds" have been Dells that I picked up on sale at Best Buy. These were also my first two Dell purchases ever.

The 1st one was a Q6600 bought in 2008.
Added a power supply and video card. It was and still is a reliable gaming system.

The 2nd and most recent was bought in Dec. 2010. It's just a core i7 870 with 8 gigs ram and came with a 1.5 TB HD. Back when I bought it, $700 seemed like an okay price. I ripped out the ATI 5770 and stuck a GTX 570 in there, along with a 750 watt Antec PSU, and an additional WD Black 2 TB drive. Grand total was like $1,400, but it has been stable and rock-solid for two and a half years now. Daily use. So yeah, I basically rebuilt the thing anyway. Now, add to that the Viewsonic VP2770 2560 x 1440 LED monitor I just paid $700 for, and I'm up to $2,100. Ouch. But I'm still in love with the thing, and have no plans to upgrade anytime soon.

I never had bought Dells before, because a friend of mine loved them, and I didn't care for all the proprietary stuff. But they changed all that. Now, he doesn't buy them anymore, and I buy nothing but...

Y'know, I had a point when I started writing this: Find a Dell with a good CPU on sale at Best Buy, then stick a PSU and a good GPU in there, and you're all set. And I guarantee you won't spend as much as I did. I just went a little nuts. If I have one impulse-buy-type weakness, it's shiny new stuff for my PC.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LordMortis wrote:
I don't find Dell's to be good bangs for the buck. If you get a business class machine then you pay a lot more for a lot machine that seems to have a good reliability.

If you pay for a home machine, you get better technology for the same money but the quality is lacking to say the least.

I don't know about quality anymore but alienware has desktops starting at $699

http://www.alienware.com/Landings/desktops.aspx" target="_blank
Well, Dell owns Alienware now, so... some of the same problems with Dell will arise (mostly poor support down the road as regards drivers for new OS's, etc.). Dell's desktops also tend to come with underpowered custom power supplies, so if you want a gaming system, I'd stay away from the Dell branded systems. Alienware will likely be better, but I'd still want a lot of stock parts that are user-upgradeable in there.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Another happy Cyberpower owner chiming in. I guess mine is about 2.5 years old now and going strong.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Great, i like both Cyber power and digital storm. Digital storm makes it really easy, while cyber power allows for customization. Price wise they seem to be pretty comparable.
Will do some more thinking what i need, and then pull the trigger.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Not to imply anything against those that have and like Cyberpower, but when I was doing research prior to getting mine, I looked into both Cyberpower and Ibuypower. And they have a LOT of negative comments on the web. Everybody gets some, but I thought the volume suggested that you were more likely to have issues with a machine from either of those. Of course, "more likely" does not mean likely. :D

My girl friend got a Cyberpower prior to her Digital Storm. It's mostly been solid. She doesn't do much with it other than use it as a server at home. BUT... it didn't work when she got it. The cable to the hard drive came loose during shipping. And I believe she actually ended up having to replace it before she could get the machine to work.

One thing I liked about Digital Storm is that they test their rigs for three days under load to make sure there are no issues.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

FWIW, I bought my Cyberpower from Costco (online). It came with the (current) standard Costco 2x manufacturer Warranty, etc.. If you are a Costco member, it can be worth it to see what they are offering online.

Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I've been researching and will likely get a Digital Storm PC for my next upgrade. I've been building my own for about 15 years and am tired of it. I think they would do a good job for a reasonable price.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I bought a customized pc from cyberpower earlier this year and was quite happy. They changed facilities during my order, which may have added a day or two, but it wasn't bad. Should be much faster if you pick one of their pre-built systems since they can just toss it in a box and ship it. Theoretically the new facility means they have more room for parts, etc., so there should be fewer back order problems, which I think was the majority of their complaints.

If it's REALLY important to someone to have a machine tomorrow then you just have to go to a local retailer and hope for the best.
No sig, must scream, etc.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Stop making me think about buying a new computer!

I've had 2 cyberpowers and they have both been fine. I've also had a (pre-dell) alienware and it was fine, though expensive as hell. My current one I built myself as I had the urge to do something useful and it is still going strong with nothing but video card upgrades for about 3 years.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My Cyberpower PC is 2.5 years old at this point, with zero problems. I was actually considering buying a new one this fall, mostly because I've given up trying to decode video card nomenclature and I'm not quite sure what I can slap in this thing. Then again, it seems to handle 90% of what I play so maybe I'll just punt for another year. I'd definitely recommend them.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I had a HDD go bad, which required me to send it back to get a new one, and a fan go bad, where they just dropped me a new one.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

I really just want to buy and forget, don't want to do customization, picking of anything. Just buy it off the shelf built by people who know what needs to go into good gaming rig, and leave it at that. I like the Digital storm testing and pricing, will likely buy their 1k model in a few month. Also less headache down the line the better. That they test it for 3 days is really good and likely reduces problems later on.
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

I've done a lot of research and testing in this area when we were looking for a new vendor at work. We had been an IBM shop and then they sold off the non server line to lenovo and everything was still fine for a while. Then they changed support policies and would no longer ship us parts to repair our machines, they required we ship the machine to them. That's not how I roll.

I bought a desktop machine from each of the following: digital storm, cyberpower (and I think ibuypower are the same people), velocity micro, and maingear.

The digital storm didn't post out of the box. After some troubleshooting, I discovered that they plugged the ram into the wrong slots. On that intel motherboard you have to match the colors. I put the ram back as they had it so the system wouldn't post and called to see what support was like. The tech I spoke with claimed to be the one that assembled the machine and after various other diagnosis attempts, we tried moving the ram around and it finally posted. He accused me of moving the ram on my own, then was adamant that the intel documentation was wrong on where the ram should go, which we put it back and it wouldn't post. He was very rude and obnoxious so I just him go. Later the system was unstable so and eventually just parted out.

The maingear and cyberpower machines are still in use after about 2 years, zero hardware problems and have not needed support.

The velocity micro machine had the power supply (fortran I think) die after a few months and support was near impossible to get a hold of so I parted out the rest of that one as well.

In the end I decided to just go with HP Z workstations since they offered me serious discounts and 4 hour support but these aren't gaming machines (quadros and firepros).

If I had to buy a gaming machine, I'd go with cyberpower.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Long term Cyperpower user here. I love how you can configure them. Plus since I live about 80 miles away from the company. I always take the day off and drive over to get my machine. The only component I've ever had any problem with is the hard dive. But since I have always had hard drive trouble, I can't blame them. My current rig is about 2.5 years old so I am now starting to pay attention to the new rigs that are out there.

One thing I noticed about the current cyperpower machines is that the web site says they now come with a 3 year warranty.
AKA: Dajjer
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

D.A.Lewis wrote:One thing I noticed about the current cyperpower machines is that the web site says they now come with a 3 year warranty.
3 years on labor, one on parts.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

I got side tracked by work (and besides my old comp is still kicking alright) but finally getting around to ordering. good thing i waited, it seems for the Level 3 at digital storm they upped video card specs. And now its pretty top of the line.

I looked at cyberstorm, but they have way too many options. i just dont know enough to customize much and just get confused. While Digital storm gives really good value and most importantly keeps it really simple.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

I got my new one from Cyberpower about a month ago.

This particular model is a tower but I prefer the mid towers, still my rig is fast and silent. The quietest computer I have ever owned. Plus I was finally able to finish BioShock Infinite and with everything turned up. The first year with a new rig is the greatest.

Where ever you end up getting one, good luck - your gonna love it once you take the plunge.

BTW, I just look at two main things when I look for a new rig - Video card and CPU. I haven't been hurt with just getting quality parts for the rest of my machine, but I do the homework on the latest and greatest Video Cards and CPUs.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Ya, though i probably will wait till black Monday. I am pretty sure they will have some deals then.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

New digital storm is out. Vanquisher 2

Any thoguts? I still havent bought comp, as by the time i got around to it, it was late last year, and i figured i might as well wait for some imminent upgrade they had to do.

Well it came...

I am thinking about the spec level 3 ,Thoughs? i dont know much about comps, just need it to work for a good number of years and run games on decent level.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Looks like a nice upper end mid level machine:

NVIDIA GTX 760 2GB
- Intel Core i5 4570 CPU
- 8GB 1600MHz Memory
- 1TB 7200RPM HDD
- ASUS H81 Chipset Motherboard
- 600W Corsair CX Power Supply
- DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW
- Microsoft Windows 8.1

The company is well respected for their solid workmanship so you got that also. If you can afford it I would spring for an SSD drive to put your OS on. My computer (with SSD) turns on faster than my flat screen television, and that includes logging on with that stupid Win 8 password.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Awesome, and ya, i think i can add it in the build when ordering from them. And have solid operations system on solid drive.

I have been dragging my feet ordering because i am not a very demanding in terms of my current system and has been able to play most of what i wanted, even if not in best details. But my system has gone done down hill in terms of everything since last year, and has occasional malfunctions and it might be time to pull the trigger.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

This thread was perfect for me. After trying to fix our desktop after a HD crash, and running into errors and more headaches, we've bagged it and are looking for a new one. I'm thinking I'm going with a Digital Storm, though I might pick through Cyberpower's site more and see some choices before pulling the trigger. Thanks for the info.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

If you have a friend with a copy of GRC's Spinrite, you can try to use it to "clean up" your crashed HD. it may work better than ever. I bought it for something else and it's a great thing for your toolkit.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

well.... i finally took a plunge and on a whim went with Cyber power. I was about to buy digital storm version 3, but i didnt like few small options i wanted. Then i swang by cyber power, they had a whole bunch of deals and well here it is.

BLUETOOTH: None
CAS: Thermaltake Urban S21 w/ USB 3.0 [+3]
CASUPGRADE: None
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: None
COOLANT: Standard Coolant
CPU: AMD FX-9370 4.40 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology
CS_FAN: Default case fans
DOCKINGSTATION: None
ENGRAVING: None
FA_HDD: None
FAN: Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler - Enhance Cooling Performance (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
FLASHMEDIA: None
FREEBIE_VC: FREE! AMD Never Settle Forever SILVER (2 Games)
HDD: 128GB SanDisk SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 490 MB/s Read & 350 MB/s Write [-2] (Single Drive)
HDD2: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+92] (Single Drive)
HEADSET: None
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
KEYBOARD: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
MONITOR: None
MONITOR2: None
MONITOR3: None
MOTHERBOARD: * GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3 AMD 990 ATX w/ Ultra Durable 3, On/Off Charge, GbLAN, 4 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 1 PCI
MOUSE: AZZA Alpha 1600 DPI Gaming Mouse
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
NFC: None
NOISEREDUCE1: Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts [+9]
OS: * Microsoft(R) Windows 8.1 (64-bit Edition) + Office 365 FREE 30 Days Trial [+104]
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
RUSH: Standard processing time: ship within 2 to 3 weeks
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR [3 Year Labor, 1 Year Parts] LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOFT1: McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2014 [+0]
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
TEMP: None
TVRC: None
USBFLASH: None
USBHD: None
USBX: None
VIDEO: AMD Radeon R9 270 2GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card [+17] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
VIDEO2: None
VIDEO3: None
WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11n 150Mbps Network Interface Card [+19]

And with all discounts they had , it came out for me slightly cheaper then Digital storm once i get my Windows rebate.

All in all this will cost me slightly less then Digital storm would have, and i get better comp with: SSD memmory and larger traditional hard drive, much better mother board, about same video card and similar processor http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4 ... MD-FX-9370 , wireless ability and a more serious case.

What you think? good decision or should i have gone with digital storm?

To give you comparison, this is the digital storm Version 3 i was thinking about. https://www.digitalstormonline.com/conf ... ?id=927499
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I like my Cyber. I would buy from them again.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Well, Matrix. Congrats

My past 3 computers have been Cyberpower. I am happy with them. I am sometimes tempted to go with Ibuypower Computers. They are in the same geographic area as Cyberpower and have very similar deals and web pages. But I just haven't been tempted enough to change. Your rig looks great but I can not comment on the AMD card, I'm an Nvida guy. You're gonna have so much fun when you start playing on the new rig. BTW, if you get your games from Steam and leave everything on default, your saved games should be on their cloud.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Thanks Kraken and Da, ya it was a very fast decision, i literally went from thinking about it to buying it on Cyber power in 30 min. Since, i was ready for a while for new comp, but i think i over focused on digital storm without looking at alternatives. With Cyber power i was able to get a lot things i thought were nice to have without going over my budget on this.
Friend of mine also mentioned AMD chip and something about fidelity (after i ordered it), for me, as long as its better then what i had and similar to Digital storm rig power, its should more then do. Most of my games on steam, and i have also outside hard drive where a lot of them stored, might not even need to reinstall some of them.
This should be huge upgrade from what i had.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Updates. Had a comp for about a week. Its very good, very fast, great graphics.
Interestingly, since i have never been maximizer, i dont play many games that requires really latest comp. Hence, i dont feel as much change.
I did play Rome total war 2, and it run like crap on my old machine. And runs amazing on my new gig, hence its very nice.
I thought i had a whole backlog of high end games, but nope , not really. I think Rome 2 was the only game that actually needed muscle power of my new machine.

Noticed a much faster over all loading of youtube videos, when i scroll through them, which before would result in stuttering, now it just flies by.
Ironically, about week and half before i got my new comp, my old computer totally lost ability to connect to ethernet, and no cable support or anything could recover it. And i had no wifi abilities built in,, hence no internet, all in all I couldn't have ordered in a better time.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Thanks for the update, Matrix. I am going to buy a computer in the next couple of days and am going to use CyberpowerPC. I was able to spec out a really nice machine for around $1,000. Now to decide between Windows 7 and 8. I think I'm going to go with 8. I know the interface is crazy, but I really want to have something different than the same OS I've been using for years.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

So Matrix, how's the new computer treating ya?????

Did you splurge during the GOG or Steam sale?????