Sandman

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jeansberg

Sandman

Post by jeansberg »

I got a book called The Sandman - Book of Dreams for christmas. I understand that it's somehow connected to the comic book series The Sandman, which I'm kinda interested in getting too (comic book noob ;)).

Has anyone read both? I don't want to spoil myself by reading the Book of Dreams first, but I don't know how closely it's connected to the comics...
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Read Sandman. Read it now. It's absolutely amazing. I've had all 10 trade paperbacks for years, and now I'm getting each of the Absolute Sandman volumes as they come out, because I feel like the series is worth spending the money and the space to have them in gorgeous oversized hardback volumes.

As for Book of Dreams, I can't help you. Of the Sandman spin-offs, I've only read the two Death books, which are both good.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

While I'm sure they were written to allow anyone the chance to read them, I have to believe you'd get much more out of it after reading The Sandman series.

The good/bad news for you is that if you truly are a comic book n00b, reading The Sandman will probably spoil you for most other comic books - but at least you'll have high expectations.

I re-read the series a few years ago after not touching it for about 5 years. The amount of things I picked up on or looked at differently was just amazing. It really deserves all the praise and hype you hear.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
jeansberg

Post by jeansberg »

Smoove_B wrote:While I'm sure they were written to allow anyone the chance to read them, I have to believe you'd get much more out of it after reading The Sandman series.

The good/bad news for you is that if you truly are a comic book n00b, reading The Sandman will probably spoil you for most other comic books - but at least you'll have high expectations.

I re-read the series a few years ago after not touching it for about 5 years. The amount of things I picked up on or looked at differently was just amazing. It really deserves all the praise and hype you hear.
I really just got into comics after reading the Dark Tower graphic novel. I've ordered The Preacher: Gone to Texas and some Dark Knight stuff, but I've yet to receive it.

Thanks guys.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

I think Sandman's one of those things that was incredible when it came out, and it still incredible to revisit if you read it when it came out, but it doesn't have the same power to a new reader than it used to.

The art is dated, and the coloring is *bad* (maybe better in the absolute reprints). Thematically, it's still interesting, but I can't imagine a new reader that I wouldn't send to American Gods or Willingham's Fables books over Sandman.

You might want to skip the first few trades unless you get an omnibus edition - it doesn't really come into its own until it stops trying to be part of the DC universe.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

I need to check out Fables. But I'm so behind with all the things I need to check out.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Sandman definitely picks up in the third trade. The first one is definitely a straightforward origin story, though a few chapters in that really give you an idea that it's going to be more. The second is a series of one-offs that are interesting, but not amazing. The third one is where it really gets its legs under it.

They did re-color the Absolute editions, and they look much better. However, since Sandman featured a changing cast of artists, if you don't like a particular art style, just wait a while, and it'll change.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Smoove_B

Re: Sandman

Post by Smoove_B »

Of all places to learn it from, today in the NYT I'm learning that there's a new Sandman miniseries planned for this October:
Although “Sandman,” which began in the late ’80s, predates the imprint, it was branded as a Vertigo book in 1993 and became one of its biggest successes: a perennial seller of collected editions, critically beloved, winner of multiple awards. “Sandman” helped shape the career of Mr. Gaiman, who seems to write in every form these days, including fantasy novels, screenplays and television scripts; his most recent novel, “The Ocean at the End of the Lane,” was published by William Morrow in June.

“The most peculiar thing for me about returning to ‘Sandman’ is how familiar it all feels,” Mr. Gaiman said. What is new, however, is the level of attention. “When I was writing ‘Sandman’ from 1987 to 1996, I never had the feeling at any point that approximately 50 million people were looking over my shoulder scrutinizing ever word.” (Mr. Gaiman has about two million followers on Twitter.)

For the six-issue “The Sandman: Overture,” Mr. Gaiman has been paired with J.H. Williams III, an illustrator known for his moody imagery and innovative page layouts. “They are the most beautiful pages I have ever seen in periodical comics,” Mr. Gaiman said. “I ask him to do the impossible, and he gives me back more than I asked for.”

The series will be published every other month and will alternate with a special edition of each issue, which will include more of the artwork (because of translucent word balloons developed by the letterer Todd Klein), as well as behind-the-scenes commentary and character sketches.
To say that this is "a big deal" is a huge understatement. From what I understand, this series will explain exactly what Dream was doing right before the incident that opens the original comic book storyline (trying to keep it spoiler free).

I think I've read through the series three times now and every time it's still a treat. If you're looking for a reason to either start the series or re-read your old copies, this is a great excuse.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Intriguing. Let's hope that Neil Gaiman doesn't pull a Lucas here.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm confident things will be ok. His last foray into the world of the Sandman (Endless Nights from 2003) was an excellent addition to the series.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

AWS260 wrote:Intriguing. Let's hope that Neil Gaiman doesn't pull a Lucas here.
I'd be more inclined to think the other way. I've found Gaiman to be an excellent writer and thinker and who didn't do that great of a job with Sandman. It felt like a missed opportunity to me (Blasphemy! I know.) I found that I always like liked his writing about Sandman in his prologues or epilogues better than his actual writing of Sandman kind of like how it seems I often like reading those little placards at the museum about "post modernist" artwork better than the actual pieces themselves. 25 years of maturing as a writer, I hope, has a chance to really make this franchise be all it could have been.

Of course, I'm probably the only person who feels this way.
Last edited by LordMortis on Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Well, back when he was writing Sandman, he was probably at least a bit constrained with what he could do because he hadn't yet become a name author, as well as being relatively young. Now, he's got enough weight behind his career that he can probably do basically what he likes with it. I'm hopeful.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

AWS260 wrote:Intriguing. Let's hope that Neil Gaiman doesn't pull a Lucas here.
unpossible
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

For those keeping watch, I do believe The Sandman: Overture #1 hit stores yesterday or possibly today.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: If you're looking for a reason to either start the series or re-read your old copies, this is a great excuse.
After reading the high praise here (admittedly from 5 years ago) I'm looking.

Where do I start...with the comic, or the book, and what title? For the truly lazy, an Amazon link would get you bonus points. :D
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You want to start with Preludes and Nocturnes, the graphic novel that contains issues #1-8.

Even though there are 75 issues in total, this first collection is self contained. As I remember, when he wrote this story arc he wasn't told whether or not it would continue, so he made sure to tell an entire story. That being said, it's an excellent springboard for the rest of the series. After that, there are another 9 collected graphic novels that finish out the series, but you can make the call on what you'd like to do based on your feelings in the first collection.

My recommendation would be to read everything in the order in which it was released. Even though this new comic takes place right before what you're about to get, I'd still finish everything else first. There are half a dozen or so spin offs and side comics related to the Sandman universe which you can pick and choose from as well -- after you've finished this core story.

EDIT: It looks like they reprinted the entire series in 2010, and fixed / updated the colors. I think that was an excellent move as some of the comics look...dated.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Aaaand bought. Much thanks for pointing the way.

Shamefully, I haven't read one thing that Gaiman has done, even though I did buy American Gods for Kindle last year (but it's still in my queue, waiting to be read).

Guess I will be starting with his comic stuff!
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I'll add that Preludes & Nocturnes isn't entirely representative of the series as a whole. Think of it like the first season of Supernatural or Buffy: they're laying groundwork, and it's good, but it gets much, much better later on. This first arc was really him trying to draw in the comic-reading audience with something more familiar. Later books get more literary (and are AWESOME).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm very curious to hear how it works out for you. Mostly because it was one of those comic books that was unlike anything else when it was released so reading it now might give you a "I don't get why this was so special?" feeling as by today's conventions it seems perfectly relevant. However, I do think the overall story still holds up and even if you're not 100% on board after the first graphic novel, definitely still grab The Doll's House as that's when the true story really starts. The third volume -- Dream Country -- contains "A Midsummer Night's Dream," which won A World Fantasy Award for short fiction back in 1991. The enraged some traditional book authors so much that they then changed the rules for the award to forever prohibit a "comic book" from ever winning the Short Fiction award ever again.

EDIT: What Chaz said. The first grouping is way more "traditional" in terms of comic writing, but still way above the standard at the time. The entire series is an amazing feat -- the number of references to literature, culture, mythology, history...it's unreal the threads woven into the tale.
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

I am also curious how a new reader sees the series. To me it gets better on subsequent readings since
Spoiler:
there are so many moments of foreshadowing in the backgrounds. Things mentioned off-handedly that come back issues later
I thought so much of Sandman that I think it hurt me when reading some of Gaiman's other works. Example : I thought American Gods retread some of the same things in a different media. Also, when I read the end of Stardust, I could almost see that Death mentioned there was the same sister of Dream.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Well, I downloaded and read what I assume to be the first part (are they all connected?) yesterday, via Kindle Reader for PC, I was so curious. At work, no less.

I liked it, but I think I will read the rest on the iPad since it was a little small on my screen. Plus, the color should be better (my monitor at work is a TN piece o' crap, while the iPad screen is IPS, and fairly color accurate).

Let me get a few more stories under my belt and I will report back in more detail.

KINDA reminds me of some absolutely ghoulish comics I read as a kid, which I probably shouldn't have at that age, whose titles I can't remember. They all dealt with horror though (lots of blood, violence, and the supernatural), and I LOVED them. :D Forbidden fruit I guess.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Smoove_B wrote:I'm very curious to hear how it works out for you. Mostly because it was one of those comic books that was unlike anything else when it was released so reading it now might give you a "I don't get why this was so special?" feeling as by today's conventions it seems perfectly relevant.
I think I have seen the exact same sentiment written about The Watchmen.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

OK, who on OO works for NPR?!

Recurring Dream: Morpheus Returns In Gaiman's 'Sandman' Prequel

http://www.npr.org/2013/10/31/241644273 ... m=facebook" target="_blank

Edit: oops, sorry Smoove - didn't realize the re-animation of the thread was based on this that you mentioned already.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Sandman is on Kindle's daily deal today.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

McNutt wrote:Sandman is on Kindle's daily deal today.
You just cost me $2.99.

Thanks! :P
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

Me too. Thanks.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I bought this a few months ago for my 7" Fire HD and was pleased with how easy it was to read on the device. Their panel view worked very well.
Carpet_pissr

Sandman

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Almost finished. Loving it so far. I'm a little worried about what kind of toll going down this rabbit hole will take on my wallet though. There appears to be a shit ton of these!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
KINDA reminds me of some absolutely ghoulish comics I read as a kid, which I probably shouldn't have at that age, whose titles I can't remember. They all dealt with horror though (lots of blood, violence, and the supernatural), and I LOVED them. :D Forbidden fruit I guess.
Keep reading. :-)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

live action production news
The movie adaptation of Neil Gaiman's comic classic Sandman has had another nightmare: its writer has dropped out. Eric Heisserer said he was leaving the project last night, telling io9 that the source material wouldn't work as a movie, and would be far better suited as a TV series.

Heisserer — who wrote Nightmare on Elm Street and The Thing — said that he many conversations with Gaiman about adapting his work for a movie, but that he "came to the conclusion that the best version of this property exists as an HBO series or limited series, not as a feature film, not even as a trilogy." The departure is another blow for the proposed Sandman movie, which saw its producer and head cheerleader Joseph Gordon-Levitt back out due to creative differences earlier this year.

The appointment of Heisserer was seen as being connected to Gordon-Levitt's dumping of the Sandman project, but the veteran screenwriter tells io9 that the actor had actually "quietly left" seven months previously. Speaking on Facebook at the time, Gordon-Levitt said he "came to realize that the folks at New Line and I just don’t see eye to eye on what makes Sandman special, and what a film adaptation could/should be" — a viewpoint Heisserer says he came to share.

Somewhat ironically, Sandman was in line to become a TV show in the early 2000s, with both HBO and Warner Bros. Television pursuing potential deals, but nothing came to pass. It's not clear yet whether New Line will continue with the planned movie version, but things aren't looking so dreamy for the project.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It would make such a killer episodic show and I have no idea why they're insisting on making it a movie - particularly when you consider all the short-run premium cable shows that have been created in the last decade.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote:It would make such a killer episodic show and I have no idea why they're insisting on making it a movie - particularly when you consider all the short-run premium cable shows that have been created in the last decade.
Absolutely agree.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Agree
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

X gets the square!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:It would make such a killer episodic show and I have no idea why they're insisting on making it a movie - particularly when you consider all the short-run premium cable shows that have been created in the last decade.
And how the comic book genera is taking over TV and movies. This is both Comic Book and different. And it has the same sort of huge cult base following that launched things like GoT in pop icondom.

Of course, it needs to be done well...
malchior

Post by malchior »

New Line is desperate for LotR type revenue but this as a movie isn't going to deliver it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Warner Brothers chopped all of the Vertigo titles over to New Line last year.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:Warner Brothers chopped all of the Vertigo titles over to New Line last year.

Why oh why, do I sometimes read comments?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

LordMortis wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Warner Brothers chopped all of the Vertigo titles over to New Line last year.

Why oh why, do I sometimes read comments?
Because you're clearly a glutton for punishment.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

how hard can it be for them to do a series?

Lucifer has a series.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis