New User Requirements - Spam Prevention

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Rip

Re: New User Requirements - Spam Prevention

Post by Rip »

While it is a pain in the rear, I am sure you will appreciate how little spam makes it on the board and that what does is disintegrated quickly and with extreme prejudice.

Rip
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
T4.Hwa

Post by T4.Hwa »

I am a particularly clueless spammer.
Last edited by ImLawBoy on Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I am amused.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

As am I, but I actually went ahead and hit the report button, too. :P
It's almost as if people are the problem.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Fishpants, I changed the CAPTCHA for a forum board over the weekend. Now "people" have to answer a question instead of solving the 3D image. I'm writing because it's like a wonderful vacation! Going on 3 days without ANY spammers registering. Give the option a look at if you have the time or wanted to try it out. Should be available for you in the Administrative Control Panel, under General, down to Board Configurations, and click Spambot Countermeasures.

Something that took me some time to figure out is, make sure the question IS in the default language. I learned that English comes two ways, British and US. Keep an eye out for which one is asterisk-ed and match that when forming/configuring your question. The suggested manner to use (which is what I did) for a question is, the first 3 and last 3 letters. In other words, come up with a question that cannot be searched easily on Google. The sweet thing is you can put in a few variations of the answer too! ALSO there is a button to turn on specifics like spacing and capitalization. I've put in a few answers in case the person who really and honestly register for the forum uses spaces and caps.

Example, Q: What are the first 3 and last three letters of the word OctopusOverloards? A: Octrds (like I mentioned, you could add octrds and oct rds for possible answers too.

EDIT to add a minute later:
AND of course, I went over to register on OO to see if you all already had this in place... my OH my, you have a nice defense set up!
Guess you can say, "Oh, how cute... the computer guy's little wife is trying to help us out. Awww, isn't she so cute... let's give her a mouse pad and she if she uses it?"
Sorry guys, should of known better but had to put it out there.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

I don't know what defenses are in place for registration here now, but if you notice how regularly the "our newest member" updates with yet another random string of characters, lots of not-a-person accounts are getting through. Relatively few of them are posting though. We have yet to hear from zoopyteepejoT.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And when real new people do register, we line up and execute them on the assumption that they're spambots.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

silverjon wrote:...We have yet to hear from zoopyteepejoT.
Ha! great name! It gets old fast with all the spam. I still hear Monty Python every time I type the word spam, cracks me up... but believe me, that is the only thing enjoyable about all the bogus registerers. What the OO admins have set up now is pretty impressive. I'm actually surprised that spammers get through.
Blackhawk wrote:And when real new people do register, we line up and execute them on the assumption that they're spambots.
I do enjoy the jolly ol' fun had with the spambots who are able to post. I've only witnessed one execution though, very interesting to watch however. Glad I wore my bullet proof vest when my number was called :wink: few bruises but nothing a little make-up wouldn't hide.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Wow. We are being monitored. Registered users:

chooclodype
roorwaywodolo
PaulDAUBTETTY

Have all been around for a while and are browsing and I have no idea who any of them are as they've registered and never said a thing.

I'm ascared.

And they were just joined by

RofRourb
Hamsterball_Z

Post by Hamsterball_Z »

LordMortis wrote:And they were just joined by

RofRourb
Ruh roh
(HBZ)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

KKBlue wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:And when real new people do register, we line up and execute them on the assumption that they're spambots.
I do enjoy the jolly ol' fun had with the spambots who are able to post. I've only witnessed one execution though, very interesting to watch however. Glad I wore my bullet proof vest when my number was called :wink: few bruises but nothing a little make-up wouldn't hide.
I am still concerned that genuine new posters will end up getting mobbed by responding to an old thread they found via Google. It isn't like we have an excess of new members.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Blackhawk wrote:I am still concerned that genuine new posters will end up getting mobbed by responding to an old thread they found via Google. It isn't like we have an excess of new members.
Naw, the OO's seem to do a little research first before pouncing. Sure they poke with a stick to see if it moves or reacts. Nothing more than the typical animal can handle. At least in my experance. Lots of lurkers on the board. Bet ya not everyone is registered who visits the forum too. You've had some older members resurface and it's always nice to have an original member pop in to make a comment. Think the forum has great life, happy to be a part of the group (as many others are too).

It's day 5 and still not a one spammer since the change to the registering requirement.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

I implemented "Spam Hammer" as the bots had a human queue set up to answer random questions, including stuff like "identify what this picture is". I was getting annoyed with them (I've also blocked IP subnets from China and a number of other high risk areas around the world) -- spam hammer seems to really work though. They have to post a certain number of times to include hyperlinks, have a signature and so on (and their initial posts are scanned for spammy phrases, and blocked if they have links/spam in them).

You'd be amazed at the number of bots that keep hammering against the wall, but the few that actually get through are far and few between. Once in awhile I clean up the user DB and delete 0 post accounts that registered and haven't been back, which reminds me that's probably overdue.
No.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

FishPants wrote:You'd be amazed at the number of bots that keep hammering against the wall, but the few that actually get through are far and few between. Once in awhile I clean up the user DB and delete 0 post accounts that registered and haven't been back, which reminds me that's probably overdue.
That's cool. Although I am relatively certain that zoopyteepejoT and chooclodype aren't human lurkers, though they are online here quite regularly.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

silverjon wrote:
FishPants wrote:You'd be amazed at the number of bots that keep hammering against the wall, but the few that actually get through are far and few between. Once in awhile I clean up the user DB and delete 0 post accounts that registered and haven't been back, which reminds me that's probably overdue.
That's cool. Although I am relatively certain that zoopyteepejoT and chooclodype aren't human lurkers, though they are online here quite regularly.
They're NSA assets.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

FishPants wrote:I implemented "Spam Hammer"...
I remember you telling me about this too. I got excited. It felt like I realized the world was actually round and had to share. The Spam Hammer seems pretty impressive. Just like water, the spammers can only be kept out for so long.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

KKBlue wrote: Example, Q: What are the first 3 and last three letters of the word OctopusOverloards? A: Octrds
So close to "Octards." Close enough that I now have a new name for forum members.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Kraken wrote:
KKBlue wrote: Example, Q: What are the first 3 and last three letters of the word OctopusOverloards? A: Octrds
So close to "Octards." Close enough that I now have a new name for forum members.
:lol: Awesome.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

That is funny Kraken. Think I'll use the Q&A as a sig, ha.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
silverjon wrote:
They're NSA assets.
Now that I've noticed them I can't unnotice them.

And what really strange is that chooclodype registered in Dec 2012 but Google says it's been watching a lot longer:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&nfpr=1&q=+ ... 08&bih=691" target="_blank

And watches only us.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

I think that has to do with what Octards were online when Googlebot snapped the picture, while the date shows when the thread was actually created.
wot?

silverjon

Post by silverjon »

A whole bunch of users just turned up with account names based on Louis[char] and Vuitton[char].

I wonder what they are selling.
wot?

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Building good will for Coach?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Tony L

Post by Tony L »

I just decided to look around here, and found this thread.
I am a BOT, really just go check some of the other forums recently! :)
Just joking people!

Regards,
Tony L
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

:D

And you seem to have joined just in time. Browsing right now (in addition to all of the the spam posts of the last few days)

Dilmfendelm
Fiebonnaa (who has an outside chance of not being a bot)
irncvqvh
Lelfelige
xgxhqrgw
Zireejaxjaift

I think we need a bigger wall.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

I haven't seen zoopyteepejoT in a while. I hope nothing bad has happened.

PaulDAUBTETTY spawned a brother briefly, though I forget the given name.
wot?

Tony L

Post by Tony L »

Wow, quite the unusual crew here.

Since first posting the other day, Bots have really been the only subject to get a reply too.

He's a Bot... She's a Bot... It's a Bot...

WTF, :grund:

Really :roll:

Geeez :shock:
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Sorry, I don't do racing games.

If you went and introduced yourself in the EBG forum, you'd get a warm welcome, laced with teasing about how can we be sure you're not a bot.
wot?

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Given enough time, will a thousand bots with a thousand algorithms log in as Shakespeare?
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Yeah, Tony. It's nice having a new voice around. Unfortunately, I didn't respond since I wasn't into the racing game. Hope to see you around in the other forums.

And in bot news, Hj9FWqcuu2 is lurking around... that guy gives me the creeps. :shock:
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

silverjon wrote:I haven't seen zoopyteepejoT in a while. I hope nothing bad has happened.

And people said my name was hard to pronounce. I totally wish I'd grabbed zoopyteepejoT, but now somebody beat me to it.
And in bot news, Hj9FWqcuu2 is lurking around... that guy gives me the creeps.
At least zoopyteepejoT was pronounceable.
Unpronounceable people do give me the creeps as well.
It all started with Cthulhu.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
rechly160

Post by rechly160 »

- El Spammo Removo.
Last edited by FishPants on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

LOL, the honeypot strikes again.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It really was a remarkable post.
Rip

Re: Message

Post by Rip »

rechly160 wrote:Thanks for sharing lots of information with this post. I really enjoy your post.

and we really enjoy your posting about enjoying the post.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

On Friday The Thirteenth no less.
Valentine's Day Eve to boot!

And only three days before...Hey, could it be Obama in love, having a bad day?

Happy Valentine's Day, rechly. Now, hurry and get back home to Michelle before she finds out where you've been.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

missed opportunity title: "Spambada: The Forbidden Dance"
365Trends

Post by 365Trends »

Odin wrote:Nice! It's not like we've got a huge flood of potential new users to risk offending.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Turing test fail?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

We're getting a new wave of spammers that seem to be making accounts then building up their posts with either very generic comments in random threads ("I agree!", "That's great!") or by simply quoting an earlier response verbatim. I'm guessing it is either a new flavor of bot or a sweatshop lab somewhere.

Does staff want to be notified when these guys pop up, or do you prefer to wait until they hit the requirement and add links?