Formula D League Race 3: Chicago

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

hentzau

Re: Formula D League Race 3: Chicago

Post by hentzau »

3rd please.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Movement roll is 4.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Doing this by memory because I don't have the track on my phone, but let's try right one, straight 4. That should be safe I think.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Doing this by memory because I don't have the track on my phone, but let's try right one, straight 4. That should be safe I think.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That works. Done.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur (White 1): gear selection is 5th. Movement roll is 17. Movement is 17 forward.

1st place! :horse:

NickAragua (Blue 2): gear selection, please.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Woo! Go team white!
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

4th gear.

I'm seriously considering phoning it in and going 4th all the way to the end.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Movement roll is 9.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sticking in 4th might give El Guapo the ability to catch you before the line, as he's only a move behind.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Ten straight ahead.

Also, El G is on my team so it doesn't really bother me too much if he comes in ahead of me - it'd bother me a lot more if I blew out my engine on the last stretch.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Done. Turn complete.

El Guapo (Blue 1): gear selection, please.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, 99% I'm going fourth gear all the way, unless Hentzau gets a sudden burst of speed.

So, 4th gear.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

With that, it pretty much establishes finishing order. With consent, I'll call the race in order.

If not, movement roll is 9.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Nope, I think we can call this one. Stupid jump was my Achilles Heel.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yeah, that was extremely bad luck in getting caught by a bad roll twice.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote:With that, it pretty much establishes finishing order. With consent, I'll call the race in order.

If not, movement roll is 9.
Fine with me.

Otherwise, right 2, straight 7.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, let's call it.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Will do. I'll have updates later today.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Final Results
  1. Isgrimnur (White 1) - 10 points
  2. NickAragua (Blue 2) - 8 points
  3. El Guapo (Blue 1) - 6 points
  4. hentzau (White 2) - 5 points
  5. coopasonic (Yellow 1) - 0 points; DNF
  6. bb2112 (Yellow 2) - 0 points; DNF

Team Rankings
  1. Blue - 34 points
  2. White - 31 points
  3. Yellow - 29 points
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Isgrimnur wrote:Final Results
  1. Isgrimnur (White 1) - 10 points
  2. NickAragua (Blue 2) - 8 points
  3. El Guapo (Blue 1) - 6 points
  4. hentzau (White 2) - 5 points
  5. coopasonic (Yellow 1) - 0 points; DNF
  6. bb2112 (Yellow 2) - 0 points; DNF

Team Rankings
  1. Blue - 34 points
  2. White - 31 points
  3. Yellow - 29 points
Wow, having us both blow up our cars put us from first to wurst. :lol: :ninja:
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yeah, even a finish would have made a positional difference. This race certainly closed some gaps in the points standings.

Any thoughts or feedback on the game?
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Isgrimnur wrote:Yeah, even a finish would have made a positional difference. This race certainly closed some gaps in the points standings.

Any thoughts or feedback on the game?
Overall I liked it. The crossroads were an interesting touch. Didn't like the jump as much. I also thought the blocking out when it reduced to two lanes was kind of cool even if I was on the outside looking in once.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Well, I certainly didn't enjoy the jump. :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It was the most scenic route.

I initially had trepidations about using this map because of the gaminess of the board elements, but I think it added something extra to it that made it a bit more fun and challenging.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I liked it. Honestly in general this game tends to be something of a glorified game of craps, so I welcome anything that adds additional decisions or strategy.
Black Lives Matter.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

El Guapo wrote:Honestly in general this game tends to be something of a glorified game of craps, so I welcome anything that adds additional decisions or strategy.
That's my complaint about Formula D in general. It's all about the dice. I played a game with my 7 year old this weekend. 2 laps and I basically made all of the decisions for both cars and he won by 4-5 turns. There is no strategic difference in those results. I played both cars with the same tactics. The difference was just the dice.

I'm not saying there aren't decisions you can make that will effect the outcome of the game, but there seem to be very few of them.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I think I made a huge tactical mistake on the second jump. I was toying with dropping back down to 3rd to ensure that I wouldn't hit the gap, but I gambled thinking there was only a 2 in 12 chance I would hit that gap again. Well, that gamble brought me from 2nd to last place pretty damn quickly.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Gear selection can be critical. I know of one point where EG screwed himself by entering a 2-stop turn in too high a gear that cost him speed coming out. It would have taken a transmission point to get lower, but it likely made a positional difference against Nick.

What additions would folks like to see to add some in-race strategery? A couple re-rolls/re-hearings per game/lap? Beat in mind that something like that would reduce some of the challenge. As we saw, even having the nitro negated almost all of the opportunities of the jump to have an impact.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Switch to powerboats where you have more options and more control... and I just sold that game, why did I do that!?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I gave up on attempting to figure those out long ago. :P
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It just dawned on me that the street racing characters each have their own special abilities. We could use those. Since the point leaders are winning, the trailers are getting pole position, we could let the middle drivers draft powers first and work our way out in terms of draft order.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

To be honest, I didn't really notice the track-specific mechanics too much. I did like the track layout though.

Soft tires are kind of a no-brainer though, especially at the lower gears. Even at higher gears, it makes a decent difference when your chance of fatally undershooting a turn drops by 16% at 4th gear.

I think I got the hang of it near the end, but I'm going to take a lesson from real life drivers in future races: go into the turn at a lower gear and leave it at a higher gear. We'll see how it goes.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote:Gear selection can be critical. I know of one point where EG screwed himself by entering a 2-stop turn in too high a gear that cost him speed coming out. It would have taken a transmission point to get lower, but it likely made a positional difference against Nick.

What additions would folks like to see to add some in-race strategery? A couple re-rolls/re-hearings per game/lap? Beat in mind that something like that would reduce some of the challenge. As we saw, even having the nitro negated almost all of the opportunities of the jump to have an impact.
That's not where I screwed up (I don't care about my positional difference against my teammate). Where I screwed up was going straight on the big straightaway on the second half of lap 1, instead of veering to one side so that I could veer back going into the one-stop turn. Having that option would've allowed me to do the turn one gear higher without risking dramatic overshoot, which would've kept me from shorting that turn (which I still only had a 25% risk of, but of course that happened). That undershoot snowballed with other bad rolls which moved me from 1st to fourth.

But even that I could've come back from fine if the three drivers ahead of me hadn't all rolled exactly what was needed to block me out of the first space of a following turn. And of course that pales in comparsion to Team Yellow, which did fine but got screwed by horrible rolls right at the end (and which allowed me to finish ahead of team yellow through no ability of my own).

So calls do matter, but it's still 90% luck, 10% choices. So I'm all for drivers. Basically anything that adds more decisions and strategy is good with me.
Black Lives Matter.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

NickAragua wrote:.

Soft tires are kind of a no-brainer though, especially at the lower gears. Even at higher gears, it makes a decent difference when your chance of fatally undershooting a turn drops by 16% at 4th gear.
Hmmm, I have never finished a race with soft tires. With hard tires I was in first place. I'm just saying...