Kickstarter Question - Games You've Actually Gotten?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Kickstarter Question - Games You've Actually Gotten?

Post by Zaxxon »

Ahh, Dungeon Roll here, too.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

So far, my list of Kickstarters goes like this:

100% fulfilled: (not counting certain stretch goals) Partially fulfilled: (none of these have been abandoned, for the record. Most of these are partially fulfilled through having released an early/incomplete version of their product to backers) Not fulfilled yet: All in all, looking pretty good. Remember that most of the unfulfilled Kickstarters I just listed are pretty new or weren't supposed to be released yet anyway. We're still not quite at the point where the big flood of the original Kickstarters gets released, though we're close. Some of the ones listed above are very, very close to being delivered. A few are already shipping.kickstarter
Insert witty comment here.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Fulfilled:

Strike Suit Zero
Shadowrun: Returns

Still in process:

Project Eternity - Obsidian RPG
Project Phoenix - indie JRPG

I don't back a lot of stuff... I've backed a few other things, but cancelled after given more thought on it
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

These guys are making the Reaper guys seem communicative. The fact that some here have had their copies for more than a month and I was one of the early bird backers kind of annoys me. Yes, there are 9000 orders, but me first!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

coopasonic wrote:
These guys are making the Reaper guys seem communicative. The fact that some here have had their copies for more than a month and I was one of the early bird backers kind of annoys me. Yes, there are 9000 orders, but me first!
When I got an unexpected international package in the mail yesterday, I actually though it was Zombicide Season 2 despite not hearing anything about it. Turned out to be my physical goods for Shadowrun Returns instead. I have absolutely no idea when Zombicide will arrive, but I'm in no hurry.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

For fun, regrets are in Red. Yes, I regret one that is still open and I can easily cancel, but I am not going to because I am broken. All those "no idea" mean that I haven't been keeping up or the team hasn't been keeping us up to date.

PC Games
Rebuild: Gangs of Deadsville (10/03/2013) - Still open

Torment: Tides of Numenera (03/06/2013) - no idea

Wasteland 2 (03/14/2012) - No idea

Double Fine Adventure Funded (02/10/2012) - No idea

Make Leisure Suit Larry come again! (05/01/2012) - Delivered, played to completion

Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption by the Quest for Glory designers (11/18/2012) - no idea

Project Eternity (09/15/2012) - no idea

Grim Dawn (05/17/2012) - No idea

Board Games
Reaper Miniatures Bones II (10/01/2013) - Still open

Xia: Legends of a Drift System (06/12/2013) - early 2014 I think?

Railways Express: A Dice-Rolling Train-Racing ROTW Game! (06/04/2013) - Delivered, never played

MYTH Funded (04/22/2013) - no idea

Sails of Glory - Miniatures Ship Combat (04/16/2013) - No idea

Dungeon Roll - A Dicey Dungeon Delve (03/19/2013) - Delivered, played a few times

Flash Point: Fire Rescue - Extreme Danger (03/18/2013) - soon?

Zombicide: Season 2 (03/02/2013) - shipping, just not to me!

Dungeon Heroes Advance! Upgraded Edition (02/05/2013) - Delivered, never played

Reaper Miniatures Bones: An Evolution Of Gaming Miniatures (08/21/2012) - Delivered, never touched

Flash Point: 2nd Story, Urban Structures & FF Figures (07/09/2012) - Delivered, never played

Zombicide (05/04/2012) - Delivered, played many, many times

Zpocalypse: An Epic Zombie Survival Board Game (04/22/2012) - Delivered, tried to learn it solo, don't get it, ready to give it away

Puzzle Me! - A Family-Friendly Board Game (12/09/2011) - Delivered, never played

D-Day Dice Board Game (12/01/2011) - Delivered, played once solo

Other
The Veronica Mars Movie Project (03/13/2013) - making a movie takes time

Pebble: E-Paper Watch for iPhone and Android (05/01/2012) - Delivered and wearing it daily

edit: sorted by type... hmm I seem to really regret most board game purchses. there is probably something to be learned from that.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

coopasonic wrote:Double Fine Adventure Funded (02/10/2012) - No idea
Looks like they're delivering this game in two segments. The first half coming out the first of next year and the next about six months afterwards. It's a way to get some more funds in there for the product.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

coopasonic wrote:Sails of Glory - Miniatures Ship Combat (04/16/2013) - No idea
What, you regret Sails of Glory? That game is receiving raving reviews from those who have played it, and it looks more and more awesome with every bit of information they publish about it. With the rules being made available to backers recently, the game cemented its spot in the book of awesome. I was skeptical during the Kickstarter itself, but I'm completely sold now.

My only real Kickstarter regret is Match and Magic. It was touted as a game that wanted to replicate Puzzle Quest and its campaign while improving the tile-based battles. What it ended up being was indeed an improvement for the battles, but the campaign seems to be just a long endurance match, not the RPG-like thing I expected. The author also didn't act in the professional manner I expect from someone leading a development project, even if it's indie. At least he delivered a final product. :)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I suspect it will be too fiddly and play too long for me. I am more of a beer and pretzels gamer. I think I backed it because it looked awesome... which it still does, but I have had something of a self-revelation about the kinds of games I play and buying games of a type I don't play doesn't make me play them.

Nothing against the game, I just don't see it being the kind of game I will play.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Your dislike of D-Day Dice also surprises me. It's a favorite of my group, and probably the most played of all of my Kickstarter games.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Montag

Post by Montag »

In process:

Electronic:
Planetary Annihilation - PC
Small World 2 - Android (IOS is already out)

Analog:
Alien Frontiers reprint
words
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Not so much a dislike, I just don't play it to justify the expense. That could be said for most of my games. I would probably give it more time but when I look at the wall of games, it barely gets noticed because it's in a canvas bag off to the side. It doesn't really stack nicely.

I really only played the first intro scenario, so I have not even seen the full mechanics of the game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

coopasonic wrote:I suspect it will be too fiddly and play too long for me. I am more of a beer and pretzels gamer. I think I backed it because it looked awesome... which it still does, but I have had something of a self-revelation about the kinds of games I play and buying games of a type I don't play doesn't make me play them.

Nothing against the game, I just don't see it being the kind of game I will play.
Sails of Glory offers 3 different sets of rules (basic, standard and advanced) with a bunch of optional rules to tweak the experience. This allows you to customize the experience to whatever you're in the mood for. One of the strengths of this game is that it can be anything from a simple, quick game that can be played with children (children learning the game quickly is one of the things early reviewers have pointed out) to a hugely detailed age of sail simulator. It's not fiddly at the lower end of the scale.

As a backer you've got access to the rules. Take a look at them! :)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Heh, I was just reading through the kickstarter description again. Maybe I won't regret it later. These are predictive regrets for many of these games.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I should have complained earlier. It turns out my copy of zombicide season two shipped two days ago.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I received my zombicide 2 shipping notice today. I guess it's time to get back to painting.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Fulfilled: Dungeon Roll

Partially Fulfilled:
Krosmaster Arena
Zombicide Season 2 (still waiting for everything but the base games to be shipped)
Small World 2

Still waiting on:
Galaxy Defenders
Myth

Not too bad.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

In process

Project Eternity

Non game:
3 doodler
Veronica Mars movie

Nothing has come through yet,but all appear solid.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Dang, didn't realize how deep into KS I was until I saw the entire list. :shock:

Just backed:
Dead Man's Draw

Failed:
Shades of Sanity
OZombie

Fulfilled:
Short Stack Editions (Vol 1-3)
Dungeon Roll
Small Box 3 game set
Expeditions: Conquistador
Flash Point expansion
Tsuro of the Seas
Batle of the Bulge
Zpocalypse
Match & Magic
Shadowrun Returns
FTL
D-Day Dice
Miskatonic School for Girls
Eaten by Zombies!
Marian Call European Adventure Quest

In Progress:
Tangiers
Warmachine: Tactics
Alice: Otherlands
Cthulhu WArs
Gettysburg: The Tide Turns
Satellite Reign
Massive Chalice
Harvest
Afterland
Armikrog
AR-K
JA: Flashback
Stonehearth
Divinity: Original Sin
Werewolf
Shroud of the Avatar
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Delver's Drop
Dreamfall Chapters
Shadowgate
Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption
Project Eternity
Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse
Damage Report
Castle Story
Paper Sorcerer
Lilly Looking Through
Dead State
Two Guys SpaceVenture
Tex Murphy
Legends of Eisenwald
Republique
Jane Jensen 'Year of Adventure'
The Banner Saga
Wasteland 2
Double Fine Adventure
Hadean Lands: IF

Funded but I doubt I will see:
Airborne in Your Pocket
UP FRONT the card game
(and yet just yesterday had an update from Rik Falch on both games swearing they are both still coming... we shall see)
Last edited by MonkeyFinger on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
-mf
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Ouch. Backers of Two Guys Spaceventure just got a 'state of development' dev email that basically boils down to "we screwed up." Yadda yadda, there's lots of optimistic stuff in there about how they're still going to find a way to get this to the finish line, and it's nice how frank and forthcoming they're being with the backers, but yeah. Oops!

Maybe it'll still see the light of day at some point in the future, but nobody should be holding their breath waiting for this one.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

wonderpug wrote:Ouch. Backers of Two Guys Spaceventure just got a 'state of development' dev email that basically boils down to "we screwed up." Yadda yadda, there's lots of optimistic stuff in there about how they're still going to find a way to get this to the finish line, and it's nice how frank and forthcoming they're being with the backers, but yeah. Oops!

Maybe it'll still see the light of day at some point in the future, but nobody should be holding their breath waiting for this one.
I didn't end up backing, but as a long-time Space Quest fan, this is disappointing.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Well, if you want to have hope, they did say:
We are not broke and we are all still in this 100% and will make this game become a reality even if it kills us.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My shipping notice on Zombicide Season 2 has not changed in 10 days, and I don't see a lot of updates. It looks like CMON tried to buy themselves some time buy submitting batches of shipping info long before they were actually ready to ship. Terrible.

Arrivals:
Pebble (Sept 2012 arrived April 2013)
FTL
Alien Frontiers expansion (delayed by a few months)
Zombicide (waiting on zombie survivors due March 2013)
Lace Anchors 2.0
Dungeon Roll (Aug 2013)
Zombicide Season 1 extras (delayed from March 2013)
Small World 2: The Return (Oct 2013)

Waiting on:
Ogre (Nov 2012)
Kobolds Ate My Baby! In Color!!! (Jun 2013)
Monsters Ate My Birthday Cake (Aug 2013)
Zombicide Season 2 (Sept 2013)
Delver's Drop (Oct 2013)
Fairy Mischief (Nov 2013)
Eminent Domain (Dec 2013)
Robot Turtles (Dec 2013)
Wasteland 2 (???)
Project Eternity (???)

News is great so far on Robot Turtles and Fairy Mischief. Both projects seem well-managed.
The Eminent Domain expansion had a printing error, but they have plenty of time for a December ETA. I'm actually glad that Tasty Minstrel has slowed down their updates.
OGRE Deluxe is a massive undertaking, but I'm getting anxious at being so close to the finish/1 year overdue mark.
The Kobolds Ate My Baby is taking more time in editing and layout, but I'm not surprised. Guys are brilliantly funny, but not the most organized. I can't wait to catch them at GenCon/Origins next year.
Monsters Ate My Birthday Cake is a great concept, but I'm not sure they can deliver and they've really failed at regular updates.
Delver's Drop sounds like it needs a lot more work, so I'm holding off on trying the beta.

Basically, it's going to be hard to convince me to back any more video game Kickstarters in the future.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Ogre Designer's Edition Not Fulfilled (Should be soon)

The Official Settlers of Catan Gaming Board 50% Fulfilled. (Ordered 3-4 player board and 5-6 player seafarers board. Only 3-4 player was delivered so far)

Dice Rings Fulfilled.

Dungeon Roll - A Dicey Dungeon Delve Fulfilled.

Blue Laser Lamp- with passive cooling technology Not Fulfilled

Penny Arcade's Podcast, "Downloadable Content": The Return Fulfilled.

Xia: Legends of a Drift System Not Fulfilled
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I've seen an Ogre set in person. It was sitting out, and assembled in Plano last month at the DGM.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Got an email recently from the makers of Hero U(niversity), and didn't need to read beyond the first sentence to get a mental "uh oh", as I have seen more than a few of these from other projects already.

"One year has passed since we posted the Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption Kickstarter project. Ten months since we received the proceeds. Originally we listed Oct. 2013 as the Estimated Delivery date. I'd like to talk a little about the scheduling and budget process...."

But I did, out of curiosity, though I had a pretty good idea what was to follow:

"Lori and I remain 100% committed to delivering Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption to all of our backers and to the market. The game development is far behind schedule, but we are completely confident that we can and will finish it."

"After funding costs and rewards we've promised to backers, $275,000 of the $432,000 gross became available for the actual game development. Coincidentally, that's almost exactly one-half of my original estimate."

I will say it again, I wonder if there is maybe too much focus on "rewards", especially with these early Kickstarters. There seems to be a pattern where the extras either cost a LOT more than expected, thus cutting significantly into costs, and probably resulting in a lesser polished game, or they cause delays as logistics/manufacture/shipping seems to cause major headaches for these small operations. I wonder how much money these guys would raise if there were no such extras offered?

This particular project was not as heavy into the reward tiers being additional things that had to be manufactured outside the game (a stuffed Meep, a few printed items), as others I have backed, but even those few things take a LOT of time resources unless you just slop it together (and probably cost a lot more than most of these guys realize just to put together and print).

The thing that boggles my mind is that backers are paying lots of money, to often get tokens or items from a game that doesn't even exist, as if they are a fan! What if the game sucks? Would they want $300 worth of paraphernalia of a crappy game? (maybe, from a collector perspective?) Or maybe they are just so into the game idea, that they want to pledge that much, and the extras are gravy? If the latter, man, how much better could these games potentially be if devs could use that money they are spending on "meep manufacturing", for actual game content/development/voice acting, etc?

So of the $409K raised for this project, KS got their 5% cut ($20,450), leaving $388,550 + Paypal payments of about $20K = $410,000. That means about 1/3 of money raised was used to fund "rewards".

I completely get the fact that marketing is a HUGE part of these Kickstarters, and for Kickstarters that are producing physical goods (like the miniature figurines for instance), the reward tiers they had were a perfect fit IMO...pledge more, get more of the thing (miniatures) you want to get made in the KS.

My point is that maybe video game devs should focus more on digital content rewards, rather than physical items. Is the KS creator raising money to create a video game, or stuffed animals and printed books?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I don't disagree with anything you said, other than that KS fees in total are 8-10%, not 5%.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zaxxon wrote:I don't disagree with anything you said, other than that KS fees in total are 8-10%, not 5%.
Ooh, didn't know that - thanks. So KS gets 5%, and Amazon Payments gets 3-5%. I thought 5% was awfully low!

Kind of shocked that Amazon has not bought them out already.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Insert joke about Kickstarter making money and therefore being anathema to Amazon.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

The problems with Hero-U started right after the Kickstarter ended, so this is nothing new. IIRC, their main coder left them almost immediately for some reason, but allowed them to keep a bunch of stuff he had made. They also decided, based on backer feedback, to move the style of the game closer to the old Quest for Glory games, which I think is a good thing.

Hero-U is the best example of a high-risk, high-reward project I can think of. The risk that they won't be able to deliver, or will deliver a shoddy product, is clear and present. On the other hand, if they can deliver, we could end up with something very special. And in any case, we'd never be able to see a result from these particular people if it wasn't for Kickstarter.

In other news, I should be getting Sails of Glory this November. That's one of the bigger, more expensive Kickstarters I've participated in, and the results I've seen so far (both the quality of the models themselves and the contents of the rulebook) have exceeded my expectations. I can't wait to give it a try. :)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

TiLT wrote: IIRC, their main coder left them almost immediately for some reason,
Well that's a huge piece of info I was not aware of.

Also: that's terrible!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I haven't received it yet, but got an update this morning that Superfight is shipping.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I got Battle Worlds: Kronos this week.
I played a mostly done Beta a few weeks ago and liked what I saw, I'll probably download the finished game and dig in over the weekend.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I got Battle Worlds: Kronos yesterday as well. Going to save it until my newest PC comes back from repairs, as my old one (that I'm currently on) is prone to get very hot very quickly in games.

And today I got the rewards from the Dwarven Forge Kickstarter. It's quite the haul: (click to see full size)

Enlarge Image
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

TiLT wrote:I got Battle Worlds: Kronos yesterday as well. Going to save it until my newest PC comes back from repairs, as my old one (that I'm currently on) is prone to get very hot very quickly in games.

And today I got the rewards from the Dwarven Forge Kickstarter. It's quite the haul: (click to see full size)

Enlarge Image
So very jealous...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Just to rub it in... ;)

Set up a small test room and had tons of pieces left over. It looks very good assembled. A couple of pics:

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

OK, I am way more impressed seeing them in use. Nice.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Even more jealous...
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Oooh, I want Dungeon Legos.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

TiLT wrote:Just to rub it in... ;)

Set up a small test room and had tons of pieces left over. It looks very good assembled.
Looks fantastic - thanks for sharing. What's the next step? I have no idea what this is (part of a board game?), but it looks great.