[Kickstarter] Shadows of Brimstone

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hentzau

[Kickstarter] Shadows of Brimstone

Post by hentzau »

I know it was mentioned in our completely mistitled "What did you play this weekend", but I thought I would start a new topic now that it's in it's last couple of days.

I finally jumped on today. I had looked at it when it was first announced, and kind of put it on the back burner. Went in today to check it out again, and decided that there are enough stretch goals in there that it's worth me jumping in at the $150 level.

I love me some cowboys, and I've always liked the Deadlands setting. This is not Deadlands, but it's close. Plus I have a lot of old west buildings I have picked up to play Legends of the Old West, and these figure sets will give me a good jump start to being able to get some fun games of that set up.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Re: [Kickstarter] Shadows of Brimstone

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Similar to Myth, the number of bonus items you get for that $150 pledge is bananas. It's also a theme I don't have in my collection and I like the co-op element. I am rather curious to see how high it goes...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Ertic

Post by Ertic »

Ugh

So tempted by this!

But the Xbox One, Christmas, and other games have me hesitant!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wait a minute...this is a Jason Hill game? Maker of Conquest of Planet Earth, one of my favorite games?

And, like CoPE, it can be played solo?

AND the female prospector stretch reward looks like Granny Clampett?

...sigh....I'm in.
Covfefe!
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Couldn't do it. The high cost of entry was the main thing. It also kind of bugs me that an established publisher is going the kickstarter route.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The creator sold me on this one. Normally that would be out of my price range.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

In. At Outlaw level. Kind of confused about what I'm going to get. But it does look like it's a lot more than just the two box sets.

Now I really need to start playing games more.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Damn... Outlaw for me, too.
-mf
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote:The creator sold me on this one. Normally that would be out of my price range.
Yeah, while the concept was enough to entice me, I am very much a fan of the FFP games.

I was in as an outlaw before it became "cool" to do so around here... :P

I keep wanting to purchase one of the add-ons, primarily the Succubus pack or the Ancient One mega-enemy, but I figure they will be cheaper to buy piecemeal from online retailers post release.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'm tempted to add a few of the character add-on packs, to give some more variety to the choices for the players.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm really tempted by the Derelict Ship add on. Undead Necronauts? If the game mechanics are as good as CoPE and it has such off the wall horror stories as a crashed spaceship from the future populated by undead astronauts, I'll be one happy camper.

But I think I'll just follow Bael's lead and wait for online shopping. 150 bucks is stretching my upper limits to breaking.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote:I'm really tempted by the Derelict Ship add on. Undead Necronauts? If the game mechanics are as good as CoPE and it has such off the wall horror stories as a crashed spaceship from the future populated by undead astronauts, I'll be one happy camper.

But I think I'll just follow Bael's lead and wait for online shopping. 150 bucks is stretching my upper limits to breaking.

They just added some The Army Painter brand Warpaint paint sets (including brushes) themed for SoB characters.... :shock:

$50 is pretty good to 18 bottles of high quality paint and 2 bottles of ink washes. Not to mention those fine brushes (which are actually my favorite brushes I own).

I'm sorely tempted to get those...
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Was about to get the paints too, but there wasn't enough of a price break for me to do it. I'll just buy the few paints that I need to fill in the holes. Did bump it up a bit to get a couple of extras out of the gate, though.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hentzau wrote:Was about to get the paints too, but there wasn't enough of a price break for me to do it. I'll just buy the few paints that I need to fill in the holes. Did bump it up a bit to get a couple of extras out of the gate, though.
I think I am going to get the paints as, by August 2014, I am bound to be running lower on my Reaper set. I might also spring for the $8 bag of Darkstone Crystals, given they aren't going to be sold separately.

Although... getting the cult of the Crimson Hand and the Ancient One would be cool...
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

hepcat wrote:I'm really tempted by the Derelict Ship add on. Undead Necronauts? If the game mechanics are as good as CoPE and it has such off the wall horror stories as a crashed spaceship from the future populated by undead astronauts, I'll be one happy camper.

In much the same boat. SO many add-ons I'd like to have, especially something like the Derelict Ship. Very cool. Just have to bump up to the Mine Cart level to get everything... let's see... Round 8, 480 backaziods? :shock: Ah well. I'd buy the paint sets if I had any confidence in me finding a space for the effort let alone the effort itself and setting aside the time to paint them.
-mf
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And it ends. Didn't quite make 1.35 for the next reward, but I'm happy with all I'll be getting.

Was doing some reading on the character classes and man they sound great. It looks like they have almost a full RPG system in place.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I ended up backing down to just the Outlaw level, but I'm still pretty happy with what I'm getting. Looked at the budget for the rest of the month and decided that $50 could be better spent on stuff like, oh, food.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just looking over the add ons. They created a game set in the old west...and they didn't have the Cowboy character class in the base game? :?
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote:Just looking over the add ons. They created a game set in the old west...and they didn't have the Cowboy character class in the base game? :?
LOL!

I hope they let us "up" our pledge with the pledge manager. After seeing the physical models for those Succubi, I think I am going to have to get them. But I am only $2 away from getting succubi and the derelict ship!

I sort of changed my mind about the paints after it ended. I figured that I could just buy some reaper or The Army Painter paints for cheaper and make sure I get exactly the colors I want.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

The following Shadows of Brimstone events are listed for GenCon:
Professional Miniature Painting
Thurs, 8/14 – Sun, 8/17 @ FFP Booth #933
Professional Miniature Painter, Aaron Lovejoy, painted all of the figures shown in the game books for Shadows of Brimstone. He will be at the Flying Frog booth throughout the show, answering questions, and demonstrating his techniques while painting new Shadows of Brimstone figures that will be pictured in future product releases.

Shadows of Brimstone Signing Event
Fri, 8/15 4-6PM @ FFP Booth #933
This is a rare opportunity to get your Shadows of Brimstone games signed by the whole team! Please note that individual members of the team would be happy to sign your games at the booth any time during the show, but this two-hour event will be the only gathering of everyone (including UK artist, Ralph Horsley – who did the cover art for both core sets!) in one place specifically to sign games.

Dark Stone Rush! Event
Sat, 8/16 4-6PM @ FFP Booth #933
Did ya hear the news?!? Thar's a huge chamber filled with Dark Stone deep inside of the North Point Mine! Sure, the dark passages of the mine are filled with mutants, demons, and all manner of unspeakable evil, but is that going to stand in your way of fortune and glory? All comers will grab a Hero and enter the mine for a free-for-all monster hunt and Dark Stone grab! Get enough XP and Dark Stone before being ripped apart and you could walk away with a prize.
Are they really going to have this available at GenCon?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Maybe they have a pre-production copy.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Zarathud wrote:Maybe they have a pre-production copy.
I wish they would be a bit more open about their production progress. I have a feeling this one is going to be delayed from the original release date, as we have yet to get the Pledge Manager.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hentzau wrote:Are they really going to have this available at GenCon?
Apparently yes, they are anticipating having copies for sale at GenCon. I've seen people on BGG suggesting this verbalized at some point, but as a backer it still rubs me the wrong way. While I don't begrudge them the ability to make money, I feel like not taking care of backers first is a just a unwise move. I would have thought shipping it in July and then deferring copies for those interested in picking it up at GenCon would have made more sense. I guess it's possible they still have time for that, but yeah without the pledge manager open at this point I'd say the window of opportunity is closing.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote:
hentzau wrote:Are they really going to have this available at GenCon?
Apparently yes, they are anticipating having copies for sale at GenCon. I've seen people on BGG suggesting this verbalized at some point, but as a backer it still rubs me the wrong way. While I don't begrudge them the ability to make money, I feel like not taking care of backers first is a just a unwise move. I would have thought shipping it in July and then deferring copies for those interested in picking it up at GenCon would have made more sense. I guess it's possible they still have time for that, but yeah without the pledge manager open at this point I'd say the window of opportunity is closing.
To countermand what I just posted, I read some comments made by the devs on the KS site (not in the official messages but in the comments to messages) that says the Core sets are still on track for an August release. So it could be that they will have full copies to buy at Gencon, given its mid-August date.

They did say the "extras" would not be ready by August, so they will come in a different shipment. This seems to be par for the KS course, these days.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well there you go. According to this morning's update they are indeed going to sell a limited number of copies at GenCon. I get it, they have to maximize exposure and make money, but it's still something that should have been planned better.

I guess I can't complain too much. The amount of stuff coming for $150 is still bananas. Not really thrilled about plastic sprues though for the models. I was assuming they'd all be ready to use out of the box. Assembling the 125+ figures is going to be...cumbersome.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote:Well there you go. According to this morning's update they are indeed going to sell a limited number of copies at GenCon. I get it, they have to maximize exposure and make money, but it's still something that should have been planned better.

I guess I can't complain too much. The amount of stuff coming for $150 is still bananas. Not really thrilled about plastic sprues though for the models. I was assuming they'd all be ready to use out of the box. Assembling the 125+ figures is going to be...cumbersome.
I put in my request for GenCon pickup. We'll see if I make the list. If so, I'll give an AAR/Unboxing report as soon as I get back from GenCon.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That would be cool. I skimmed the rules this morning and it looks like it has potential to be big fun.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hentzau wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:Well there you go. According to this morning's update they are indeed going to sell a limited number of copies at GenCon. I get it, they have to maximize exposure and make money, but it's still something that should have been planned better.

I put in my request for GenCon pickup. We'll see if I make the list. If so, I'll give an AAR/Unboxing report as soon as I get back from GenCon.
I would love to do this, but I don't think I could even make the short drive over to Indy to pick it up. :cry:
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

So... yeah... you guys saw in the update that this game requires you to assemble the miniatures? Not sure how I feel about that, particularly after my harrowing Super Dungeon Explore experience.

Let me ask you all a question, do you all paint before assembling? I can see how that might make certain pieces easier to paint.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

baelthazar wrote:Let me ask you all a question, do you all paint before assembling? I can see how that might make certain pieces easier to paint.
The only thing I've assembled were MERCS metal minis. Never again. I did paint some of them before assembly, yes as it was easier when a leg or arm wasn't on first. As I said earlier, I'm not thrilled about assembling these figures but I'm confident it won't be difficult. There were some sprue cutters that were mentioned in the official discussion that I'll probably pick up for <$10 and my buddy said he'll help cut everything apart to get me painting faster.

Anyway, in looking at the figures they've shared I don't think it will be all that difficult because not everything is a bipedal humanoid. For example, the tentacle things might just snap together and the snake men might just need arms or something.

I'll eat my socks if it's at my house before October though.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Assembly doesn't bother me in the least. And still crossing my fingers that I can get my copy at GenCon.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Alas, denied.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hentzau wrote:Alas, denied.
Shoot, I was hoping you were on the list.

I'm still not sure how I feel about them selling the game at Gencon before the backers get it. As they said in one of their updates, they aren't usually this transparent when it comes to game production and selling a game that is not quite released at Gencon is par for the course. But Kickstarter is a new element, so that brings new things.

I do also wish they would say what goes out in the first shipment. I was happy to see the paint sets were available at Gencon, because that may sway me to using the extra pledge money I put in to get the paint sets (my original plan, but no need if they will be months later, as I have paints that I can use). I'll likely also add the Succubi and lost spaceship or whatever. The other stuff should be available for purchase later.

Having read the rules, I have to say that I am very excited for this one. The rules seem simple and the style is exactly what I wanted from a Castle Ravenloft-like co-op dungeon crawl.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So now we're 5+ days after GenCon and we still have no idea when backers are getting copies...because the pledge manager still isn't out. Meanwhile random people that attended GenCon (both backers and retail) now have copies. I'm trying not to be irritated by it all, but it's very difficult. Hell, there are already people on BGG complaining they've played it a few times and there aren't enough tiles, making it repetitive....and 95% of the people that backed the game don't have it or know when it's coming.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote:So now we're 5+ days after GenCon and we still have no idea when backers are getting copies...because the pledge manager still isn't out. Meanwhile random people that attended GenCon (both backers and retail) now have copies. I'm trying not to be irritated by it all, but it's very difficult. Hell, there are already people on BGG complaining they've played it a few times and there aren't enough tiles, making it repetitive....and 95% of the people that backed the game don't have it or know when it's coming.
That's why I'm avoiding the SoB thread on BGG like the plague...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's not too bad - because no one has a copy but Flying Frog is still the greatest game publisher on the planet. If I'm to believe what I read, they allegedly want to have retail copies on shelves by November, so in theory that should mean backer copies arrive between now and...November.

I don't know what Amazon charges to do the warehousing and distribution of KS projects, but I can't help but think it would alleviate a lot of problems if project owners let them do it. It's been suggested that the FF warehouse is too small to accept the nearly 5,000 backers worth of product and that they need to do everything in waves. Which I'm sure will work out super.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote:It's not too bad - because no one has a copy but Flying Frog is still the greatest game publisher on the planet. If I'm to believe what I read, they allegedly want to have retail copies on shelves by November, so in theory that should mean backer copies arrive between now and...November.

I don't know what Amazon charges to do the warehousing and distribution of KS projects, but I can't help but think it would alleviate a lot of problems if project owners let them do it. It's been suggested that the FF warehouse is too small to accept the nearly 5,000 backers worth of product and that they need to do everything in waves. Which I'm sure will work out super.
IIRC, they are doing a roll out not unlike Ogre Deluxe, which was done in waves. They said they projected that backers will get their copies from September to October, but you know how that is. I'm still unclear at what extras are or are not included (and what stuff we could buy made it to this shipment). They have been pretty mum about things, and for all we know it is hung up at customs (like many games on KS). They seemed to have missed their window of shipping within August, unless they start quickly next week.

I'm not overly pleased that people who were not backers could snag a copy at GenCon. Nor am I overly pleased that reviewers were either given or sold a copy before KS backers. However, we were not promised exclusivity (some KS's have) and normal game production for Flying Frog would have certainly been sold and given out at GenCon, because that is smart business.

I think it looks fun, and I am hoping for the best. As far as the idea of low variability in core set tiles, people complained about the same thing with Eldritch Horror and it was still extremely fun and replayable. Besides, I think KS backers are getting some of the expansion tiles for free, but I can't recall exactly what we are getting in that mass of stretch goals.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

baelthazar wrote:They seemed to have missed their window of shipping within August, unless they start quickly next week.
The problem is that the pledge manager isn't out. And once it is, they need to give people a reasonable amount of time to fiddle with it, then collect and sort the data. I have to believe that's 3+ weeks worth of scope at this point. Because if they don't leave it open long enough, people will complain and/or people will miss it meaning more work for Flying Frog HQ.
I'm not overly pleased that people who were not backers could snag a copy at GenCon. Nor am I overly pleased that reviewers were either given or sold a copy before KS backers. However, we were not promised exclusivity (some KS's have) and normal game production for Flying Frog would have certainly been sold and given out at GenCon, because that is smart business.
It really reinforces for me that this was a pre-order and not a true KS project that needed money to get off the ground.

As excited as I am for the game, I'm guessing it's going to be well into 2015 before all of the unlocked extras make it to your door. I was all set to go gangbusters in the pledge manager and maybe pick up a whole bunch of add ons. But at this point, I just want the games.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

They said something about, since the core games are basically all they have coming now, the Pledge Manager was not necessary for shipping (they were going to use the survey option). Who knows if that is accurate, but it was something bandied around a bit.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't buy that at all. If they've been holding off the last month on simply sending out a survey to get mailing addresses, that's absurd. Plus, it's in their best interest to ship as much as possible at once - otherwise it will be the death of a thousand cuts for shipping multiple waves.

What has me wondering is the repeated comments that they're losing money on this whole KS project as they underestimated how much production would cost - in particular for the mine cart level. If they've been holding off because they're trying to figure out how to deal with being unable to fulfill all those KS unlocked extras...trouble.