Prison Architect by Introversion

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Rip

Re: Prison Architect by Introversion

Post by Rip »

Defiant wrote:Oh and I will say I was disappointed in the cloining option since I was hoping I could clone a building, but it looks like there's a size constraint.
Yea it is only good for cloning say a cell layout or an office. Hoping at some point they build in building cloning or some type of building template tool.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Rip wrote:
One of the things I have seen cause this is trying to put thing in a location that has a four way intersect. So only run pipes and cables through a single wall. If two walls cross each other the square where they cross each other is unreachable. You can however build the cable/pipe first then build the crossing wires over them.
It may have been something to do wires, but I dont think that explains all of them (and it wasnt a four way intersect - some of the pipes were in the middle of a room.

Also, these prisoners are the most ungrateful SOBs, I work hard to make sure they have a roof over their head and food in their bellies and they' eat my out of house and home, bloody the floors and try to escape as they have the opportunity. I should just put them on lockdown and leave them like that until they starve.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Defiant wrote:
Sepiche wrote:
Defiant wrote: Also, how do I do the behavioral therapy? I had a psychologist with his own office, and added a couple of chairs but it still says All Rooms Booked. I made a classroom, but still no dice.
I haven't played with the new therapy and class stuff yet, but if no one else can answer your question you might try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pSoteVB_lE#t=54

That's the video where they introduced that feature and explained how it works. Hopefully that will help.
That'll be useful, thanks.

It wasnt in the video, but apparently, to do teaching or behavioral therapy or such, you must book a period of time in the day for "Work", this gives the prisoners an opportunity to do those kinds of things (not very intuitive)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Defiant wrote: I should just put them on lockdown and leave them like that until they starve.

They learned of my plan, which led to a big prison riot. Five guards and two prisoners dead. And now the prisoners will have to deal with the consequences. I dont have a morgue, and the janitor isnt moving away the bodies. Enjoy, you animals.
Rip

Post by Rip »

One of the new features is very entertaining.

Tazer mania!
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I think an issue to be resolved (or maybe I just dont know how to do it) is how to make things on the same location accessible. This is part of the reason why lots of people going in/out of a room was such a problem - because I couldnt even access behind the workers and things being carriedn. There are other times when I can't easily click on a person sitting in a chair. It's also odd that a drain sometimes goes on top of other things on the location (eg, toilet)

Also, I'm very surprised that there's no minimap.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Drains can/should go in the same place as shower heads? Well that explains the huge water mess I keep getting. Do other things stack that I'm not aware of?

Also must remember work for my inmates but not now.

It took forever for people to go to the doctor of their own accord.

There should be a way to see who is assigned to what cell or if a cell is occupied at all.

Also I see that I've unlocked setting patrols with the chief, thank goodness, but I don't see how to set them. The security option is obtuse (or perhaps useless at this juncture) to say the least.

I haven't gotten my ten bucks out of it but it's a relaxing way to spend an hour or two after work so far.
Rip

Post by Rip »

LordMortis wrote:Drains can/should go in the same place as shower heads? Well that explains the huge water mess I keep getting. Do other things stack that I'm not aware of?

Also must remember work for my inmates but not now.

There should be a way to see who is assigned to what cell or if a cell is occupied at all.

Also I see that I've unlocked setting patrols with the chief, thank goodness, but I don't see how to set them. The security option is obtuse (or perhaps useless at this juncture) to say the least.

I haven't gotten my ten bucks out of it but it's a relaxing way to spend an hour or two after work so far.
No drains should block any exit from the shower. My shower rooms have a dozen or more shower heads and just two or three drains block the door. No water ever escapes.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Defiant wrote: And sometimes something Im researching doesn't move ahead, even though I have plenty of money.
Not sure if this is what happened to you, but it happened to me as well - It seemed that my Warden and Chief of Security were tired and I didn't have a Staff Room built for them to go relax in. The txt by their names said they were researching, but the bar didn't move until I built a break room for them.

-

I honestly didn't even play alpha 19, but I'm giving 20 play through. It seems like construction times are slower now (which I like), but money is still way to easy. I know there is no real balance yet, but with just the starting cash and the detention center grant I can research pretty much everything and build a roomy 16 person prison with lots of space to grow. Tunnel digging also seems to common. Every 3rd prisoner is digging a tunnel out of a toilet with wooden spoon. That is just silly.

They are doing a really good job adding a lot of broad stroke type features like reform and prison score and prison failure etc etc, but I really want to see more of the nitty gritty day to day of prison management. Gang interactions, prisoner on prisoner violence, drug use/effects and maybe employee moral...lazy guards or something that gives them a bit more depth.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Those spoons aren't wooden. Make sure everyone who enters or leaves the kitchen/canteen is forced through a metal detector. Also I like to change my punishments to cause searching of the person and cell for many offenses. It also pays to do a full prison search every now and then.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I have no doors in my showers. That might be my "problem" There are two narrow entrances with no doors to the shower. What prison has door to it's showers?
Rip

Post by Rip »

LordMortis wrote:I have no doors in my showers. That might be my "problem" There are two narrow entrances with no doors to the shower. What prison has door to it's showers?
I don't use the doors that lock, just a regular door. I think you can probably get by without one but make sure that drains block the access hole out. I have also seen people put a shower in every cell, but same thing block them in with drains to keep the water contained.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

LordMortis wrote:I have no doors in my showers. That might be my "problem" There are two narrow entrances with no doors to the shower. What prison has door to it's showers?
I don't put doors on my showers, I just have drains where the doors would logically be. It seems to work fine. Also, the drain squares are NOT part of the assigned "Shower" room overlay. I don't know if that makes a difference.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rip

Post by Rip »

jztemple2 wrote:
I don't put doors on my showers, I just have drains where the doors would logically be. It seems to work fine. Also, the drain squares are NOT part of the assigned "Shower" room overlay. I don't know if that makes a difference.
It doesn't, showers don't even actually require a drain to be a legal room but not having one makes one hell of a mess.

I kind of miss people getting electrocuted if near an electrical device like a metal detector that comes into contact with water.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

jztemple2 wrote:
Will try that. My drains are in the shower room, all over the place and right before the exits. Maybe a choke point at the exit is what I actually need.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I picked this up and will be looking for some sort of quick-start tutorial/overview. Do any of you have a suggestion? It seems fairly complicated and obviously the feature set is transient since its in development.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Rip wrote:
I don't use the doors that lock, just a regular door. I think you can probably get by without one but make sure that drains block the access hole out. I have also seen people put a shower in every cell, but same thing block them in with drains to keep the water contained.
*adopts fake Scottish accent* Oooh HO! Doors on your showers! What a mister fancy pants, you wee girl! Is this a prison or the Hilton!? :D

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Don't look at me, I didn't do it:

Florida Jail Destroyed By Deadly Explosion
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Cylus Maxii wrote:I picked this up and will be looking for some sort of quick-start tutorial/overview. Do any of you have a suggestion? It seems fairly complicated and obviously the feature set is transient since its in development.
There's a tutorial thats good at showing you the interface and the basics.

Some useful tips:
Every day new inmates will be added, unless you go to the prisoner screen in the ledger and block them. I would recommend starting your prison only accepting minimal security prisoners, and only letting it grow as much as you're comfortable with.

When you define a room, you can hover over it to see what it needs to make the room a working room (eg, an office needs a desk, chair and filing cabinet and has to be a certain size). Also, when looking in the object list, items that make sense for the rooms that are visible on your screen will be highlighted.

There is a demolish walls button. Make note of it, instead of doing what I did and demolishing part of a building to move some walls around. :D

All of the senior staff (the psychologist, security chief, etc) will make use of their own offices, and you need that person and an office for them to work with to acquire the secondary level of research for those paths.

The Doctors can make use of a medical room

Drains help with flooding from showers (and on rare occasions, toilets). You can have multiple objects in the same location (though it may be hard to access both with your mouse)

You can access objects like doors/etc by right clicking on them. You can do things like always keeping a door open (if you dont want to have to wait for a guard to open it each time).

Dont let your prisoners see a free way out of the prison (eg, dont leave any outdoor door in their sights open - using an airlock is what I do)

That should get you started.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

LordMortis wrote:Drains can/should go in the same place as shower heads? Well that explains the huge water mess I keep getting. Do other things stack that I'm not aware of?
Well, toilets and drains do too, though the drain goes on top of the toilet.

I also got flooding in the morning that went out of the showers (until they drained away, even though I had a ton of drains, but making the room larger helped

I know that to release released prisoners (that hadnt left) I would click on them and right click them near th edoor and a uard would take them to the door and open it and they would leave then. Maybe something similar would work?

Agreed. Also some way to see student progress when they're not curently in the class.
[/quote]

You mark the path they go on, and then click again on one of the locations to assign a guard to it (which will be assigned to one of the unassigned guards)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Citizen wrote:
Not sure if this is what happened to you, but it happened to me as well - It seemed that my Warden and Chief of Security were tired and I didn't have a Staff Room built for them to go relax in. The txt by their names said they were researching, but the bar didn't move until I built a break room for them.
It was actually a lack of their own offices.
-
They are doing a really good job adding a lot of broad stroke type features like reform and prison score and prison failure etc etc, but I really want to see more of the nitty gritty day to day of prison management. Gang interactions, prisoner on prisoner violence, drug use/effects and maybe employee moral...lazy guards or something that gives them a bit more depth.
I wish they had some sort of way to incentive stuff. Eg, take a class or work and you get more free time and a bigger cell. Punishment seems a little off, too (kill someone? 4 hours solitary. I understand that time isnt representative, but I have no idea if thats going to do anything or not, and given how busy my guards are, the prisoner might not even get to solitary for a couple of hours.

Also, from what I can tell, the only thing that helps with getting students to take classes (at least, the education ones) is to reduce punishments, as they are more likely to make a prisoner less interested in classes and ore likely to miss classes (and therefor do badly in the class if they do stick it out)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

One problem Ive been having is having everyone eat. I have two kitchens and two canteens both of which are fairly large (with a total of like five tables with benchs on either side), and yet the percentage of people who've eaten never rises about 80% or so, even when I put in 4 hours for eating (and oddly, the percentage starts at like 30% at the start of the day. Must be all the people who've gotten food contraband they've been snacking on...)

Which means Ill never be able to achieve the psychological experiment grant with the food.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Defiant wrote:
Citizen wrote:
It was actually a lack of their own offices.
-
I wish they had some sort of way to incentive stuff. Eg, take a class or work and you get more free time and a bigger cell. Punishment seems a little off, too (kill someone? 4 hours solitary. I understand that time isnt representative, but I have no idea if thats going to do anything or not, and given how busy my guards are, the prisoner might not even get to solitary for a couple of hours.

Also, from what I can tell, the only thing that helps with getting students to take classes (at least, the education ones) is to reduce punishments, as they are more likely to make a prisoner less interested in classes and ore likely to miss classes (and therefor do badly in the class if they do stick it out)
The counter for lockdowns and soliltary don't start until they are returned to their cell or placed into a solitary confinement cell.

Also once again WATER ISN'T ATTRACTED TO DRAINS, DRAINS BLOCK THE WATER! So how many you have doesn't matter. You can control an entire room of shower heads with a single drain.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Rip wrote:The counter for lockdowns and soliltary don't start until they are returned to their cell or placed into a solitary confinement cell.
Yes, but in that case, if a guard is late an hour or two getting them out, that's doubled their 1-2 hour solitary punishment.
Also once again WATER ISN'T ATTRACTED TO DRAINS, DRAINS BLOCK THE WATER! So how many you have doesn't matter. You can control an entire room of shower heads with a single drain.
No they dont. I've had a shower room full of drains in every single location including under the door. The hallway would still flood for a while each day until I made the room larger.
Last edited by Defiant on Thu May 01, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Defiant wrote:One problem Ive been having is having everyone eat. I have two kitchens and two canteens both of which are fairly large (with a total of like five tables with benchs on either side), and yet the percentage of people who've eaten never rises about 80% or so, even when I put in 4 hours for eating (and oddly, the percentage starts at like 30% at the start of the day. Must be all the people who've gotten food contraband they've been snacking on...)

Which means Ill never be able to achieve the psychological experiment grant with the food.
People only eat when they are hungery. So if not everyone is red it is impossible to get 100%. Two hours should be more than enough to give everyone a chance to eat. You may need to have just one meal to starve everyone enough that they are all hungry and will therefore all eat that meal.

I run with just two meals a day. One in the morning after an hour of shower and hour of free time then another just before bed followed by an hour of free time before forced sleep time.

I run one stretch of work time that consumes the middle of the day in what would be the noon meal time.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Every release I play. Every time it's a battle of keeping the prisoners happy. I have visiting rooms, I have yards, I give them free time, I even up their meal quantity. I just can't get them to stay happy.

And then now, I build this nice prison, and I can't get anyone to work in the workshop. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. A few patches ago they introduced programs. So I'm assuming I need to train people work in the workshop. Out of 12 people who took the class, 3 passed, but they won't go work.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

naednek wrote:Every release I play. Every time it's a battle of keeping the prisoners happy. I have visiting rooms, I have yards, I give them free time, I even up their meal quantity. I just can't get them to stay happy.
Is there a particular place or time of day you tend to have problems at? In one of my prisons I used to have lots of problems with fights during the morning showers when prisoners needs are at a peak after sleeping, but I was able to keep them in line by setting up an armed patrol outside the shower. Armed patrols pacify any inmates that walk nearby which kept the problems under wraps.

At the very least though you should be able to go through all the various reports and see what's making the prisoners angry and try to correct the problem.
naednek wrote: And then now, I build this nice prison, and I can't get anyone to work in the workshop. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. A few patches ago they introduced programs. So I'm assuming I need to train people work in the workshop. Out of 12 people who took the class, 3 passed, but they won't go work.
Hmm not sure. You've built a workshop, stocked it with equipment they're trained for, assigned prisoners to it, and added work hours to your regime?
naednek

Post by naednek »

Sepiche wrote:
naednek wrote: And then now, I build this nice prison, and I can't get anyone to work in the workshop. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. A few patches ago they introduced programs. So I'm assuming I need to train people work in the workshop. Out of 12 people who took the class, 3 passed, but they won't go work.
Hmm not sure. You've built a workshop, stocked it with equipment they're trained for, assigned prisoners to it, and added work hours to your regime?
How do I know what they trained for? It just says workshop class or something similar.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

naednek wrote:How do I know what they trained for? It just says workshop class or something similar.
Sorry, was going off memory and had to look it up. Looks like right now there's only the workshop safety class and the carpentry apprenticeship, so as long as they have the workshop class they should be able to at least make license plates.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Not exactly the same thing, but I managed to pass the "get workers working in the kitchen, cleaning room and laundry" grant, even though it didnt look like anyone was working when I looked at the jobs map, but sometime later I noticed that those slots would suddenly be filled during work hours, then disappear again. (which isnt terribly useful). so it might be possible people are working but you dont get feedback for it?

When I first ran into the problems, some people mentioned to make sure that the work rooms defined be at least 5x5 (even if it's not a min requirement) and be completely blocked (with walls and a door) and not shared with any other space (so the entire room is defined to be the laundry, for example).

Also, it probably helps if the prisoners arent suppressed/unhappy.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Defiant wrote:Not exactly the same thing, but I managed to pass the "get workers working in the kitchen, cleaning room and laundry" grant, even though it didnt look like anyone was working when I looked at the jobs map, but sometime later I noticed that those slots would suddenly be filled during work hours, then disappear again. (which isnt terribly useful). so it might be possible people are working but you dont get feedback for it?

When I first ran into the problems, some people mentioned to make sure that the work rooms defined be at least 5x5 (even if it's not a min requirement) and be completely blocked (with walls and a door) and not shared with any other space (so the entire room is defined to be the laundry, for example).

Also, it probably helps if the prisoners arent suppressed/unhappy.
Laundry and cleaning workers don't need skills. Kitchen staff do. So far I have 0 shop workers and 1 kitchen worker but I always have volunteers for Laundry and cleaning.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Don't hire a janitor. He breaks the point of prison labor imo. He moves stuff in from delivery, he moves laundry carts, he picks up dirty uniforms, he delivers clean uniforms and he still has time to mop the floors. He is almost an entire prison staff for $50 bux a day or whatever he charges.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Citizen wrote:Don't hire a janitor. He breaks the point of prison labor imo. He moves stuff in from delivery, he moves laundry carts, he picks up dirty uniforms, he delivers clean uniforms and he still has time to mop the floors. He is almost an entire prison staff for $50 bux a day or whatever he charges.
You need at least one to get staff only areas cleaned. I always hire two and one gardener to satisfy the needs for one of the grants.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

How much land can you buy? I think I made a mistake buying property. I figured I see how much land I could buy and dropped 100k in grant money and don't see the edge yet and now I have no operating case to expand my prison.
Rip

Post by Rip »

LordMortis wrote:How much land can you buy? I think I made a mistake buying property. I figured I see how much land I could buy and dropped 100k in grant money and don't see the edge yet and now I have no operating case to expand my prison.

Not sure but you can try getting a loan to get you rolling, also check your autosave and maybe it saved before you spent it all. If all else fails edit the save to give yourself some cash.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Is there no way to make an open bay dorm? Do you have to make cells individual with walls and doors? Seems like you should be able to make a minimum security open bay dorm with a lot of beds. I find it impossible to deal with 8 new prisoners every day. I have to turn it off.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Cortilian wrote:Is there no way to make an open bay dorm? Do you have to make cells individual with walls and doors? Seems like you should be able to make a minimum security open bay dorm with a lot of beds. I find it impossible to deal with 8 new prisoners every day. I have to turn it off.
About the only way to do that is make it a holding cell.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

naednek wrote:Every release I play. Every time it's a battle of keeping the prisoners happy. I have visiting rooms, I have yards, I give them free time, I even up their meal quantity. I just can't get them to stay happy.

And then now, I build this nice prison, and I can't get anyone to work in the workshop. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. A few patches ago they introduced programs. So I'm assuming I need to train people work in the workshop. Out of 12 people who took the class, 3 passed, but they won't go work.
Is your workshop still booked for more classes?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

noxiousdog wrote:

I am 45 days into a prison with about a current residency of 250 and so far I have had two prisoners interested is workshop safety. 1 passed. 0 have been interested in woodworking... 11 have been interested in general education and none have passed that either. None have wanted their diploma. (also none "passed" psychological training and 1 of 3 have passed cooking) I'm wondering if this is bugged, if I am missing something to generate interest.
Rip

Post by Rip »

LordMortis wrote:
noxiousdog wrote:

I am 45 days into a prison with about a current residency of 250 and so far I have had two prisoners interested is workshop safety. 1 passed. 0 have been interested in woodworking... 11 have been interested in general education and none have passed that either. None have wanted their diploma. (also none "passed" psychological training and 1 of 3 have passed cooking) I'm wondering if this is bugged, if I am missing something to generate interest.
Perhaps they are suppressed a lot? Do you use a lot of armed guards and dogs? When you look at some prisoners is their Punishment measurement high? I have read that being suppressed a lot decreases the desire for training/education.