Watch Dogs

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Watch Dogs

Post by Blackhawk »

So, what is the consensus on the controversial multiplayer components? I'm sitting down with my free copy finally, and am trying to decide whether to turn the features on or off.

Unfortunately, the game options do a crappy job of explaining exactly what the penalties are for turning it off. It says that it will lock your notoriety at zero and reset all of your notoriety skills. That might be useful if I knew exactly what those things are - do notoriety and notoriety skills have any relevance outside of the multiplayer?

Also, if left on and I get 'hacked' and choose to just ignore the hacker because I'm busy having fun with something else, what exactly can they do to me?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Blackhawk wrote:So, what is the consensus on the controversial multiplayer components? I'm sitting down with my free copy finally, and am trying to decide whether to turn the features on or off.

Unfortunately, the game options do a crappy job of explaining exactly what the penalties are for turning it off. It says that it will lock your notoriety at zero and reset all of your notoriety skills. That might be useful if I knew exactly what those things are - do notoriety and notoriety skills have any relevance outside of the multiplayer?

Also, if left on and I get 'hacked' and choose to just ignore the hacker because I'm busy having fun with something else, what exactly can they do to me?
You actually have to complete a few story mission before it unlocks which I didn't know so I was racking my brain trying how to find the introduction. So far it hasn't been that bad. After the tutorial, I hacked someone very easily (I think it was a bug because the player just stuck to one place and never got close to me. About 15 minutes later someone tried to hack me. I found him quickly because he was running around (duh) but he ran and got away. I still got point for foiling him.

It hasn't become a nuisance and it actually give me a bit of thrill. You should at least try it out.

Notoriety can be good or bad. Bad happens when you kill innocent people and good happens when you stop crimes. So far I'm good and all that has happened is I get recognized and the vigilante from the news. No benefits yet. From what I understand bad means people will call the cops on you. Cops SUCK. I have a terrible time getting away from them. These are not GTA cops.

Zero Notoriety probably isn't that big a deal so you won't miss much if you turn it off.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im playing wit ha controller now and its much easier. But some things are starting to piss me off. I hacked a box and it then gives me 2 minutes to hack the other 4...but I couldn't get to them so I just walked away. I thought when the timer ran out I'd jus tfail and move on..but no...timer ran out and it reloaded me to where it first started. So all I did in those min is totally gone...U&%^*8....now I seem to be stuck in the 2 min fail loop. Ive either got to do it or keep reloading..I need to find a way to cancel a mission. Silly programming. For shit sake just let the timer run out and fail me...dont reload to the start of the side mission..its NOT IMPORTANT TO ME.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Scoop20906 wrote:Notoriety can be good or bad. Bad happens when you kill innocent people and good happens when you stop crimes. So far I'm good and all that has happened is I get recognized and the vigilante from the news. No benefits yet. From what I understand bad means people will call the cops on you. Cops SUCK. I have a terrible time getting away from them. These are not GTA cops.

Zero Notoriety probably isn't that big a deal so you won't miss much if you turn it off.
That's not what notoriety is in this game. You're talking about the singleplayer reputation, which has nothing to do with notoriety points. Notoriety points are the points you earn (or lose) during multiplayer. There's a set of 5 or 6 skills you can gain by earning notoriety points through multiplayer, and each skill requires a set amount of notoriety. Turning off multiplayer resets your notoriety score, and thus removes your access to these skills. Some of them are only applicable in multiplayer, while others can be useful in single player too.

I have no interest in multiplayer games, and haven't played an MP game I haven't tired of within minutes for many, many years. But Watch Dogs is different. The multiplayer comes in small doses as a natural part of the regular campaign, and it's both different and fun. For once, multiplayer isn't about shooting people. In fact, shooting people often means you lose. I highly recommend trying it out, because for once the multiplayer feels like a meaningful part of the whole experience, and not just another experience that exists entirely on the side of the primary one.
Insert witty comment here.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Daehawk wrote:Im playing wit ha controller now and its much easier. But some things are starting to piss me off. I hacked a box and it then gives me 2 minutes to hack the other 4...but I couldn't get to them so I just walked away. I thought when the timer ran out I'd jus tfail and move on..but no...timer ran out and it reloaded me to where it first started. So all I did in those min is totally gone...U&%^*8....now I seem to be stuck in the 2 min fail loop. Ive either got to do it or keep reloading..I need to find a way to cancel a mission. Silly programming. For shit sake just let the timer run out and fail me...dont reload to the start of the side mission..its NOT IMPORTANT TO ME.
Yeah, it does that when you fail any mission. I am used to other games either failing you back to the main world when you fail a side mission or offering you a choice of retrying or giving up. Not sure if there's a way to quit a frustrating side mission in this one.

Did you fix your crashing? If so, how?
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

To quit a side mission, bring up the menu and select "quit mission."
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Thanks, I figured there would be a way but the few times I failed a mission I managed to beat it before it got frustrating. Just used to getting a prompt asking if I wanted to retry
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

IceBear wrote:Thanks, I figured there would be a way but the few times I failed a mission I managed to beat it before it got frustrating. Just used to getting a prompt asking if I wanted to retry
Yeah, I agree it's confusing the way they did it. I got stuck on some side mission checkpoint race and didn't care about finishing it, and I also thought it was odd it just kept throwing me back to the last checkpoint I was on.
ScaryMike

Post by ScaryMike »

If only my poor ol' computer could run this game. Its stutter city for me, especially driving fast.

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Chipset: NVIDIA nForce 650i
Ram: 4 GBytes
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570

I was thinking it might be time for a new rig, but its been almost 4 years since I've done that. A bit overwhelming to even know where to start.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks. I'll probably leave it on and just see what happens. If I find it too distracting, I'll turn it off then.

I do think I'm going to wait a bit before I start playing, though, until I have a date for my surgery. It seems like a fairly in-depth game, and I'd hate to have to take a few weeks off in the middle of playing it. Most of the time when I do that in an open world game, I don't go back.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

So... this game is boring the crap out of me. I keep thinking there must be more to it, but I'm only a few hours in and am barely motivated to keep playing.

I loved GTA 3 and 4 and Saints Row IV, but I'm having trouble getting into this at all.

Maybe I need to go play something else for a bit and come back to it.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Effidian wrote:So... this game is boring the crap out of me. I keep thinking there must be more to it, but I'm only a few hours in and am barely motivated to keep playing.

I loved GTA 3 and 4 and Saints Row IV, but I'm having trouble getting into this at all.

Interesting. I just started Act 3 and I'm really quite enjoying it.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Effidian wrote:So... this game is boring the crap out of me. I keep thinking there must be more to it, but I'm only a few hours in and am barely motivated to keep playing.

If you can, give it a bit more time. A number of folks, myself included, thought it started out really slow.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, it's not really grabbing me either, but a lot of it is my mood - I'm more in the mood for a RPG or a RTS right now than anything else and even when I play one of those I am finding I am getting bored fairly quickly.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The reviews (and comments) that I've read suggest it feels like a game that was created around a really cool concept (hacking) but that the overall story is (at best) "meh" (to paraphrase). So once you play with the concept enough, there's very little meat on the bone to keep you playing. Again, that's what I've read. It still looks like a cool game to me, but I am patient boy. I wait, I wait, I wait.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Smoove_B wrote:The reviews (and comments) that I've read suggest it feels like a game that was created around a really cool concept (hacking) but that the overall story is (at best) "meh" (to paraphrase). So once you play with the concept enough, there's very little meat on the bone to keep you playing. Again, that's what I've read. It still looks like a cool game to me, but I am patient boy. I wait, I wait, I wait.
The concept is a lot of fun though, at least for me. I'm nearing the 2/3 mark of the campaign, and some of the tougher missions are really making me call on my entire medley of skills. And I love how much freedom I have in approaching a situation. I could just purely go in guns blazing, or I can spend 10 minutes before a fight disabling reinforcement calls and hacking explosives before the fight begins, or I can just try and cut power to the lights and try and stealth through without any fight at all.

If you want an awesome compelling story like Last of Us had, you won't find it here. But if you can check your brain at the door and have the campaign make just enough sense to give you a reason why you're in a big fight / car chase / stealthy hacky situation, you'll do fine. Basically, figure out if you need to read all the text from a ! quest in WoW or if you're fine skimming the text and getting right to the action.
JayDeath

Post by JayDeath »

I absolutely agree. The game just doesn't grab me. Plus, I can't get more than a steady 30fps but it's not enough to be enjoyable and I'm running a beefy rig. I already took the game off my system. What a waste! Maybe Ubisoft will optimize the game eventually but who the hell knows? I feel so ripped off.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

A modder has allegedly found files in the game directory that are supposed to make the PC version look and run better...possibly suggesting the PC version was gimped by Ubisoft to make sure it looked and ran identically across platforms. If that's true...good grief. Follow the discussion with links to the mod here.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
naednek

Post by naednek »

wow, can't wait to try this out.... I'm a little afraid to because it already taxes my system, but I'm hoping this fixes my stuttering issues... And if you know me that's a funny statement because I stutter when speaking. Wouldn't that be great if it fixed both :D

check out these shots
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=193
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, since I've been happy with this game, but noticing the stuttering, I went ahead and tried the unofficial patch mentioned above. Here's the forum post, and here's the actual download site. The instructions on the forum post mention about editing the player profile .xml file, but this just changes the graphics settings in the game to what the mod creator uses, and they aren't as good as what my rig is able to use. So I just followed the instruction to download the RAR file and extract the two files from one of the three folders in the RAR. The folders are for near, normal and far camera; I went with the normal. The two files, patch.fat and patch.dat go into the data_win64 folder of your Watch_Dogs installation.

These are the specs of my rig:
Motherboard: Asus® Z87 Plus
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 4770K 3.5GHz
Memory: 1866MHz 2x8GB (16GB)
Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780 3GB
Hard Drive 1: Crucial® M500 SSD 480GB
Hard Drive 2: Western Digital® Black™ 1TB
64-Bit Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium

And here are my graphics settings in Watch_Dogs

Before I patched, I got a steady 60 fps except when driving. When I'd drive, I'd get a stutters down into the 50s, the 40s and sometimes even into the 30s, then a quick jump back to 60 fps. It was disconcerting but didn't keep me from playing the game.

After I patched, I'm getting a pretty steady upper 40s, like 48 fps when I'm outside. When I drive, it stays almost that constant. At times (not very often), it stutters just a tiny bit (nowhere as bad as before) down into the lower 40s, then goes back to the upper 40s. Otherwise, as I said, pretty solid right around 48 fps.

My initial impression is that this patch makes driving much more pleasant; the lack of significant stutter is really nice. Are the graphics different? Hmm, honestly for me they were pretty damn good at Ultra already. I might even say that there is a bit of blurring at distance after the patch, sort of what you noticed when you first started playing GTA4. Again, nothing really that bothers me, and the nicer driving really outweighs any lost of fidelity at distance.

I'm going to keep playing with the patch and I'll post if I seem something different.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've just played through two ctOS Mobile Online Driving Challenges (where you run through checkpoints while being pursued by choppers and generated police interceptors). Racing is much easier with the nearly steady 48-50 fps, unlike before patching when it would stutter significantly.

I'm also seeing that blurring when I drive, or heck, when I walk. What it reminds me is those tilt-shift photographs or videos, where things tend to look out of focus beyond a certain distance, say about 100 50 meters in this game. It's a smooth transition, no line or anything, but after these challenges I can definitely say that, for me, the quality of the graphics isn't as good as before, since before the graphics looked sharp for hundreds of meters. What I'm losing in graphic quality I'm gaining in stable (but lower!) frame rate. Since I'm more interested in a less choppy frame rate change, rather than pretty graphics at a distance, I'll stick with the patch for now.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
naednek

Post by naednek »

ya it's the dof, he has it set too high. Common complaint in the thread that you posted. I think he said he would adjust that in a future update.
naednek

Post by naednek »

man it's night and day for me. I can drive full speed with barely a stutter. It's a little choppy when you in downtown, but now that the game doesn't have to draw every detail it only has to focus on the area I'm in. It's a little weird at first, but the gain in performance is nice, and everything near you looks great.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just let my geForce experience set mine.

Im right now going to completely restart. I was concentrating on just side missions after the intro and got kinda lost so I think a total restart will help. I must say having the disable car alarm is very handy. I can jump in anything and just drive away.

I gotta say the looking around sensitivity sucks. I have both set to max 100 and I still feel like Im looking around slow and up and down.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

After I get to my hideout and sleep should I do the story missions for a bit or should I do the side quest stuff around the motel's area?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Daehawk wrote:After I get to my hideout and sleep should I do the story missions for a bit or should I do the side quest stuff around the motel's area?
There is a point in the storyline you have to go to before it unlocks some of the skills. So I did mostly storyline stuff until I passed that point. IIRC it is the point you meet badboy17 that you need to play up to in order to unlock the extra skills.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've had an odd occurrence. I got the game through Steam and I use Steam to launch it, which then fires up Uplay, which launches the game, all well and good. For the first fifteen or so hours I had no problem using F12 to get Steam screen shots, but for the past few hours of game play, even though I'm launching it the same way, F12 no longer grabs a screenie for me; I've had to resort to using FRAPS. Anyone have any ideas how to re-enable use of F12 and get screenshots again?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Did you stop and restart Steam? I've had the UI bugger out on me before. You didn't turn off the Steam overlay did you? other than that, I have nothing
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

IceBear wrote:Did you stop and restart Steam? I've had the UI bugger out on me before. You didn't turn off the Steam overlay did you? other than that, I have nothing
I just did as you suggested, but still no dice. Weirdly, not only can't I get F12 screenshots or the Steam overlay, but I can't get the Uplay overlay either, which tells me it's something in the game. Weird, but not critical.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My problem with the Steam F12 and the overlay may be Steam related after all. I tested a number of Steam games and they did have the overlay and the F12 screenie button working. However, Banished, which shows Steam overlay enabled (same as Watch_Dogs), also has a problem with the overlay and F12 not working. So it's not necessarily a Watch_Dogs problem. Weird.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I found a thread where someone was having the same issue with Warframe. One guy got it working by turning off 64-bit and dx11 and then turning them back on. There were some other things to try it there too

http://steamcommunity.com/app/230410/di ... =french#p1
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You could try going in and changing the SS key from F12 to something else. If that works you then might be able to switch it back to F12 and keep having it work.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a try.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Patch info on a Kotaku article "Watch Dogs Patch Promises Fixes for PlayStation, Xbox, PC Players"
Details on the patch appeared the company's support forums today, listing fixes for players on PlayStation, Xbox and PC platforms. The update will be rolling out for PS4 today, with roll-outs for PS3 coming soon after. PC players get it next in a few days and Xbox One and Xbox 36o owners will have to wait until next week. Here's what's getting fixed :

MAJOR GAME FIXES
•Automatically reconstructed corrupted save files which prevented loading to go further than 90%. Some collectibles may remain unrecoverable.
•Fixed the issue preventing players from using hacks in game.

GAMEPLAY FIXES
•Fixed several mission-breaking bugs.
•Fixed minor mission and item-related issues.
•Fixed the issue that caused the empty weapon-wheel.

MULTIPLAYER FIXES
•Fixed several minor respawn issues.
•Fixed some connection and session joining issues.

PC SPECIFIC FIXES
•Fixed graphical glitches on Low & Medium settings.
•Fixed some crashes on SLI configurations.
•Implemented several performance improvements.
•Implemented a few control improvements.
•Fixed issues causing infinite messaging and timing-out when trying to access the Online Shop from the Extras Menu while Uplay is set to Offline mode.
•Fixed issues connecting to a Multiplayer game.
•Implemented several mouse modifications.
•Fixed "Drinking Game" control issue where wrong information was displayed when played with a gamepad.
•Fixed "Chess Game" control issue.
•Fixed bug where the invasion setting was never saved.
•Fixed graphical issues during cut scenes and cinematics.
•Fixed several graphical and texture bugs.
•Removed Vista OS check to prevent false positives.
•Added game version in main menu.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is anyone playing wit ha gamepad? Im considering it....its just the aiming stuff that I really hate on gamepads.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote:Is anyone playing wit ha gamepad? Im considering it....its just the aiming stuff that I really hate on gamepads.
I'm playing on a PC with a wired 360 controller and it works fine.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I'll second that playing with the 360 controller works fine.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Rip

Post by Rip »

I will third. Some games I don't like playing on a gamepad but this one it works well. You are shooting so seldom compared to hacking/driving/beating the crap out of people that the aiming firearms being slightly more difficult isn't really much of an issue.
Tokek

Post by Tokek »

I'm also playing this on a 360 controller and I prefer it that way. Way easier to control your driving, which you do more often than aiming and shooting in this game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wonder what a 360 controller runs with play and charge kit? Just need a used one. Get so tired of not having mine to use cause wife is watching tv with it.