Diablo 3 Impressions

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Diablo 3 Impressions

Post by GreenGoo »

RLMullen wrote:
GreenGoo wrote: I realize the game is super easy the first run though, but I don't understand how things have changed from the "normal, nightmare, hell, inferno difficulty settings from before).
The biggest change is that there is no "first run through" anymore. You have most difficulties available at anytime (I think "torment" difficulty has to be unlocked by getting a single character to level 60). You can adjust the difficulty before you start your play session. Keep in mind that you can reduce the difficulty without terminating your session.

The other big change is the way the environment scales with your level. When you gain a level you obviously get a few points in your stats, but all of the mobs also get increases to their hit points and damage output. The mobs scale more than you do, which makes sense in that your primary source of "power" is your gear. Keep this in mind if you play at the higher difficulty levels because it is quite easy to outlevel your gear.
When I hit esc and go to the menu, raise difficulty level is greyed out. I can only lower it. So I've only been able to raise it once since I started this character. How do I go higher?

Also, he's pretty bad ass. Going to the hardest (or nearly so) difficulty level so you can be challenged is a pretty good sign that the character is rocking. Of course the game could be designed to make it so every character needs to raise the difficulty level for a challenge. Which is weird. What's the point of the lower difficulty levels if you need to skip several? I realize not everyone wants it to be challenging, but the number of players that enjoy monty haul difficulty must be a minority, I would think.
RLMullen

Post by RLMullen »

GreenGoo wrote: When I hit esc and go to the menu, raise difficulty level is greyed out. I can only lower it. So I've only been able to raise it once since I started this character. How do I go higher?
Go to game settings before starting or resuming your game. This is the same screen where you'll choose campaign vs. adventure mode, and also where you can choose the specific chapter of your campaign if you want.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

GreenGoo wrote:
RLMullen wrote:
GreenGoo wrote: I realize the game is super easy the first run though, but I don't understand how things have changed from the "normal, nightmare, hell, inferno difficulty settings from before).
The biggest change is that there is no "first run through" anymore. You have most difficulties available at anytime (I think "torment" difficulty has to be unlocked by getting a single character to level 60). You can adjust the difficulty before you start your play session. Keep in mind that you can reduce the difficulty without terminating your session.

The other big change is the way the environment scales with your level. When you gain a level you obviously get a few points in your stats, but all of the mobs also get increases to their hit points and damage output. The mobs scale more than you do, which makes sense in that your primary source of "power" is your gear. Keep this in mind if you play at the higher difficulty levels because it is quite easy to outlevel your gear.
When I hit esc and go to the menu, raise difficulty level is greyed out. I can only lower it. So I've only been able to raise it once since I started this character. How do I go higher?

Also, he's pretty bad ass. Going to the hardest (or nearly so) difficulty level so you can be challenged is a pretty good sign that the character is rocking. Of course the game could be designed to make it so every character needs to raise the difficulty level for a challenge. Which is weird. What's the point of the lower difficulty levels if you need to skip several? I realize not everyone wants it to be challenging, but the number of players that enjoy monty haul difficulty must be a minority, I would think.
When you start the game, you don't have any gear. As you get gear, the game will become easier if you stay on the same difficulty, so if you want to keep the game challenging you'll need to raise the difficulty. Also the rewards get a lot better the higher the difficulty....just don't set it so high that you spend most of the time rezzing and most of your gold on repairs.

And yeah, go to Game Settings from the start screen. On the far right will be the game's difficulty and you can change it from there. It also shows you the changing rewards. "Monty Haul" doesn't really work in this game, as the amount of gear that is legendary is not much at lower difficulty levels. When you get to 70 if not earlier, you'll outgrow the rare stuff and just salvage most of it, so getting legendaries is where it's at.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

RLMullen wrote:
GreenGoo wrote: When I hit esc and go to the menu, raise difficulty level is greyed out. I can only lower it. So I've only been able to raise it once since I started this character. How do I go higher?
Go to game settings before starting or resuming your game. This is the same screen where you'll choose campaign vs. adventure mode, and also where you can choose the specific chapter of your campaign if you want.
Ok, thanks. Playing at master now. Used my first health potion.

Then went to get some of Zoltun's blood and got stuck on stairs (mobs on all sides of me) and I didn't have any of the skills that let you pass through mobs, so I died. And instead of moving when I rezzed, I stayed on the stairs, so I died again. :D Then everything died and I got a legendary flail. So it was worth the deaths.

Also, the flail (Justinian's Mercy) has "Blessed Hammer gains the effect of the Dominion rune", but when I equip the Blessed Hammer skill it doesn't gain the rune effect. Do I need to have unlocked that skill before it will work? The rune is a level 57 rune and the flail is level 34. Is this just the item generator creating a dumb attribute or what am I missing?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I haven't played in a while but as far as I understand it should be behaving like you had that rune installed even though you don't
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

IceBear wrote:I haven't played in a while but as far as I understand it should be behaving like you had that rune installed even though you don't
You're right. I missed it somehow even though I was looking for it specifically. I expected it to circle me only at a fixed radius. It's spiraled outward while keeping me at the center of the orbit. It normally centers on the location it is cast even if I move. Then I fought an elite with the missile suppression aura and it was very clear, as 4 million hammers followed me around in slow motion :D
Last edited by GreenGoo on Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

GreenGoo wrote:
IceBear wrote:I haven't played in a while but as far as I understand it should be behaving like you had that rune installed even though you don't
You're right. I missed it somehow. I expected it to circle me only. It's spirally outward while keeping in at the center of the orbit. It normally centers on the location it is cast even if I move. I missed somehow. Then I fought an elite with the missile suppression aura and it was very clear, as 4 million hammers followed me around in slow motion :D
I bet that looked really cool.

I love my Demon Hunter's Rapid Fire in those missile suppression fields.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

TheMix wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
You're right. I missed it somehow. I expected it to circle me only. It's spirally outward while keeping in at the center of the orbit. It normally centers on the location it is cast even if I move. I missed somehow. Then I fought an elite with the missile suppression aura and it was very clear, as 4 million hammers followed me around in slow motion :D
I bet that looked really cool.

I love my Demon Hunter's Rapid Fire in those missile suppression fields.
It did. My enchantress had long streams of "magic missiles" or whatever her base attack is. It was cool watching the hammers go in and out of the field too. Slow, fast, slow.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Can't quite kill the treasure goblins now. Oh well.

Also, I try to equip any new skills I gain as I level up, just to test them out. I'll often have skills that don't synergize or worse, act counter to each other. It's fun though, as it forces me to pay more attention to what the skills actually do and how to use them tactically.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

GreenGoo wrote:Can't quite kill the treasure goblins now. Oh well.

Also, I try to equip any new skills I gain as I level up, just to test them out. I'll often have skills that don't synergize or worse, act counter to each other. It's fun though, as it forces me to pay more attention to what the skills actually do and how to use them tactically.
It's harder for ranged classes to kill the goblins I've found.
Black Lives Matter
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I believe a recent patch added a way to locate the treasure goblins that have previously escaped from you. Not going to say any more, as it could be considered a spoiler (if it's even correct).
Insert witty comment here.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Talkling about gobs... had a recent T1 game where there was a pack of 6 gobs together, no kidding, we only managed to kill 4, then we found 4 more in that map, there were path of gold everywhere
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Finished Diablo (act IV) with my Crusader at 51, playing on master.

My dps seemed lacking but I don't think he ever got me below 50% hp. Not bragging, just posting info.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Finishes the addon RoS at lvl 42 with my demon hunter and it was way easy. It only took me a few seconds to kill Malthial. Im in adventure mode now. This mode is all new to me.

Im not sure I missed a conversation with Tyrial at the end. After I killed Mal I had Ty walk out to talk to me. He did and a button to say grats its over press OK to go to the main menu appeared. But on the right I could see in the background 'talk to Ty' and he had a icon on his head. But I was afraid if I didn't press OK Id be stuck in the fortress with no end cutscene so I left. Hope I missed nothing.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote:Finishes the addon RoS at lvl 42 with my demon hunter and it was way easy. It only took me a few seconds to kill Malthial. Im in adventure mode now. This mode is all new to me.

Im not sure I missed a conversation with Tyrial at the end. After I killed Mal I had Ty walk out to talk to me. He did and a button to say grats its over press OK to go to the main menu appeared. But on the right I could see in the background 'talk to Ty' and he had a icon on his head. But I was afraid if I didn't press OK Id be stuck in the fortress with no end cutscene so I left. Hope I missed nothing.
If you talk to Ty there you'll get the double secret cow level.

Rule of thumb for first play-through of D3: you'll be back through again so don't worry too much about missing anything.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

I just fired this up today after what looks like about 2 years off. Oh my, is this thing different. I just cleared out Westmarch, but I'm not really sure what I'm doing anymore. I started level 57 and in 45 minutes I was up to Level 60 and never came close to dying. I also found a legendary source. I may have to put some more time into this and see what other changes have happened.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

You want to be playing Adventure mode with greater rifts and bounties. And then move onto seasons.
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Burned out on Diablo3 for PC long ago but we picked up a PS4 a few months back - and the entire family has been hooked ever since.

The controls work way better with a controller and playing with 3-4 players on a single screen works quite well. It's a ton of fun to run around as a group. We're almost through Act V in our first playthrough so hopefully we can do some Adventure Mode this weekend.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:horse: ... Battle.net is no more

“Battle.net” Update
We’re going to be transitioning away from using the Battle.net name for our gaming service and the functionality connected to it. Battle.net technology will continue to serve as the central nervous system for Blizzard games—nothing is changing in that regard. We'll just be referring to our various products and services using the Blizzard name instead. You've already seen this recently with things like "Blizzard Streaming" and "Blizzard Voice," and more changes are on the way.

When we created Battle.net, the idea of including a tailored online-gaming service together with your game was more of a novel concept, so we put a lot of focus on explaining what the service was and how it worked, including giving it a distinct name. Over time, though, we’ve seen that there’s been occasional confusion and inefficiencies related to having two separate identities under which everything falls—Blizzard and Battle.net. Given that built-in multiplayer support is a well-understood concept and more of a normal expectation these days, there isn’t as much of a need to maintain a separate identity for what is essentially our networking technology.

We just wanted to make sure everyone was aware as we moved forward with this change over the next several months; we’ll provide any relevant updates as the transition progresses.

tl:dr = name change
Ain't nobody got time for that
KDH

Post by KDH »

:horse: so ... in the mood for speculation?

As you may know, the community keeps track of Blizzard job postings. Game Director in the Diablo franchise was posted after Josh Mosqueira left Blizzard .... and recently the posting was removed (filled?)

then there was ... This!

not sayin' nuthin' ... just sayin'
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Wow, from the way back machine, David Brevik was the not in the top names mentioned I ever remember and he appears to be the actual of father Diablo. Blizzard really stole his thunder back then, I guess. Max Schaefer, Pat Wyatt, and Bill Roper took all of the kudos for a long time.

Now I may have to check out what The Nonomancer is.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:horse: well .. after Brevik's twitter post (mentioned above) was followed by Roper's twitter post, I was willing to concede that they were just there to consult and schedule their place in the Blizzard 25th anniversary festivities and keynote speeches

and then there was ... THIS! :pop:
For 20 years, Diablo-like games have evolved & surprised us. I'm proud to be the adviser for the game that pushes this genre to new heights.

Enlarge Image
KDH

Post by KDH »

:horse: Official BlizzCon Announcement

Official Diablo III: Rise of the Necromancer Pack Reveal – BlizzCon 2016 <--- ewetoob

Dev Blog - Reveal

tl:dr ..

Male + Female Necro Characters coming via paid expansion 2017 .. modeled after D2 necro (corpse explode, bone spear, skellies, life-leach) .. 2 extra char-slots ... 2 extra stash tabs .. 2 new areas .. new cosmetics

the BlizzCon dev-panels will be discussing coming patches\tweaks

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cool says me...but I also say , on a 4 year old game?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I enjoyed the necromancer in II. I also enjoyed the unique spin they put on the classes in III. This just seems like a copy of an old class, which is good, I guess. Just feels like they went to all this trouble to have unique classes for II and then III, but now they are rehashing an old class.

I guess I don't care.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just got my invite to necro beta. I had forgotten about this completely. I was just saying to one of my friends the other day that D3 needed a necro. The witch doctor just isn't the same. And then I get my beta invite today lol.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Daehawk wrote:Just got my invite to necro beta. I had forgotten about this completely. I was just saying to one of my friends the other day that D3 needed a necro. The witch doctor just isn't the same. And then I get my beta invite today lol.
Get busy checking out the necro and tell us what makes him any more fun/different than he was in D2. :horse: :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not sure Im going to get a lot of time in. Seems you cant play the campaign with him just the adventure stuff...bounties and such which Ive never done.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I got mine a week or so ago. Put in some time and enjoyed it. You have a *little* more control over some of your pets, and have the ability to summon way more than the witch doctor. I enjoyed it, but after two or three days, they pulled the ability to play, and my character even disappeared from the test server. I made a new one, but the "START" button is grayed out and it says, "The necromancer is not yet active to play."

Not sure if they are releasing invites in waves and only letting people play for a few days then deleting and sending out new invites or if they have just shut down beta access. Lemme know if you are able to get in. I was enjoying it (got up to around lvl 25 or so), but they don't have any necro-specific gear yet and as mentioned, you can only play in "adventure" mode.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Out of curiousity, what is "way more"? My petdoc generally has 30+ pets running around. All he does is 'tag' the mobs so that the pets do more damage. He doesn't even try to do significant damage. So he can focus more on picking up loot. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Not sure what build you're running...of course, I'm not that familiar with builds in general, I just play the game with stuff I find. For example, my doc has five zombie dogs, a zombie giant, and a fetish army of about 8 (more if I have Gidbinn equipped). **Edited to add a Queen spider from my set gear.

By level 25 or so, in my limited experience, my necro had a flesh golem running around with six skeletons, and could at will summon six-seven more (temporary) skeletal mages. But my mana regenerated so quickly, I might as well have been able to keep them up and running. So at less than half the level, and with no toon-specific gear whatsoever, I could have almost as many as my level 70 doc. There were dozens of skills (both passive and active) and even more runes that I didn't even get to see, much less build upon with gear. I might be off, but that was my reasoning behind the "many more" comment.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hmmm... well, I guess I'll find out when I eventually make one. :D

Without checking... my recollection is something like:

6 zombie dogs (with the passives that give extra dogs)
3 gargantuans (using the ring that splits the 1 into 3 smaller, but better, ones)
8 fetishes (think that uses the rune that adds 3?)
~15 fetishes from the Belt of Transcendence (they are pretty much up the entire time I'm not in town)

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Finally got some play in and enjoyed it. Corpse explosion is great. Saw some high lvl necros..like 63 or 73 online.

I heard one skill automatically summons all the corpses as minions and you dont even have to click.

The trouble I had with the necro in D2 was on boss fights once my army of dead were gone I was useless. I could not solo the game.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Well... after all these years I think I finally beat the game. I pushed further than I ever have this season. As of tonight I finally beat a level 70 GR (still waiting for my first primal ancient), and I'm at paragon 517. My best build has 7 out of 13 ancients. (Actually could be 8 if one if the ancient rolls didn't suck.)

What am I doing with my life?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

:D

I did barely make GR70 on one of my non-season characters. Took me a couple of tries (after giving up on the first couple of characters that I tried it with). Then the season started; so I actually haven't even started to try for my first primal.

My non-season characters have 722 Paragon levels. When the season ends, I'll have another 395 Paragon levels' worth of experience to add to that. Plus whatever I add to it before the season ends. Running GR 40+ tends to net me 2-4 Paragon levels per run on the season side. It's slowed down a lot on the non-season side.

I'm actually not sure what my best number of ancients is. I do know that I still haven't completed a set of ancients. I think the best that I've done so far is 3 ancient set pieces.

I've managed to knock out Slayer on the last 3 seasons (to get the portrait). I'm only 1 objective away from Champion this season (also the first season that I've used Icy Veins to tweak my builds). I just have to master a set dungeon. I gave up on the dungeon for the set I got as a reward, but I've collected a second set that I'm thinking about giving it a try with. I think I now have all the gear that I need to give it a go.

The nice thing about Diablo 3 and working from home is that I can squeeze in a rift run pretty easily since they don't take long. Especially running a Steed build.

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dont know what seasons are. I finished the game as a Demon Hunter and didn't go back until this Necro testing.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Okay....

Seems like that would be pretty easy to remedy. If you cared...

Black Lives Matter

baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Not playing seasons and adventure mode is like playing 1/3rd of the game. Sort of like getting to level 60 in World of Warcraft and stopping.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Only like the campaign in D3. In D1 and D2 I was all about the mp. Im forced to do the adventure part bounties as the Necro because thats all they have.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

baelthazar wrote:Not playing seasons and adventure mode is like playing 1/3rd of the game. Sort of like getting to level 60 in World of Warcraft and stopping.
Agreed.

Before I started doing Seasons, I was lucky if any of my characters could handle T3-4. I thought I was doing okay. I didn't think sets were that big of a deal. Then I ran my first Season. And got my first full set. And went :shock: . Now I have characters that run T12-13 without breaking a sweat. And all of my characters can run at least T6-7.

Black Lives Matter