Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Grifman

[Spaceship RPG] Rebel Galaxy

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Butterknife

Re: [Spaceship RPG] Rebel Galaxy

Post by Butterknife »

The Polygon article made it seem like an action-RPG, so I got excited for a moment. Looks like it is just a spaceship RPG, so I'm a lot less interested (as that's in the thread title, I feel a little silly).
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Looks like it might be fun in a Freelancerish type way, though I fervently hope that the trailer isn't using the actual soundtrack.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I'm a big fan of Travis Baldree and his games (Fate, Mythos, Torchlight) and I'm always interested in what he's going to try next. This looks pretty interesting. Seem basically like a procedurally generated sandbox space RPG with some Star Control 2 and Firefly flavors mixed in. Plenty there for me to like.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Homepage

This looks like one of the better indie games in the pipe. Its one I want almost more than the others...almost. The talking heads look a lot like the old Starcontrol 3 ones.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Imagine Firefly, Space Rangers, Wing Commander: Privateer and Sid Meier's Pirates all thrown togethera and what do you get - Rebel Galaxy:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/290300/

By the developers of Torchlight, this is a 3d, procedurally generated universe of broadside/turret firing capital ships. Take the old tub your aunt left you and make something of yourself. I was luck enough to score a preview key from the developer and this game is really a lot of fun. You can see a preview here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0HqXzPBCFk

Keep your eye out for this one!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Giant Bomb did a video on this a few days ago. Looked good.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still interested in this. Years ago this would have been my number one game. Im just not who I was then and I dont like myself for that hehe. I still love this games though just not as much. Ill grab it for sure though.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Big news, we have a release date at last and I'm friggin' excited about it. It will be out on October 20th. Available on Steam and GOG for a mere $20.

New release trailer (with awesome Firefly type soundtrack): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMZPVgycrAE

Press release: http://rebel-galaxy.com/pc-release-date ... 20th-2015/

I've watched some LP vids and THIS is the game I'm most looking forward to getting next month. Insta-buy for me.
Check this one out for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ONoMWqO1wU
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The part in that video where he is showing the ship customization made me think of doing that with Star Control 2. Loved that stuff so much then...wish I was the same now as then. Ill enjoy it..but not like I once did.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

ColdSteel wrote:I've watched some LP vids and THIS is the game I'm most looking forward to getting next month. Insta-buy for me.
Check this one out for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ONoMWqO1wU
Ok, that video sold me. I'll probably be on the day 1 bandwagon now.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Whoa. Totally missed this last fall. Thanks for the bump. Looks pretty damn cool.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Also, same devs as Torchlight and some who worked on Diablo and Diablo 2. So a fairly reliable development team.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

baelthazar wrote:Also, same devs as Torchlight and some who worked on Diablo and Diablo 2. So a fairly reliable development team.
I'm not all that interested in an Elite/freelancer/privateer style game, but I should probably take a closer look, given that both Torchlight and Diablo are strong games in and of themselves.
tgb

Post by tgb »

They were giving beta keys away over at qt3 a couple of months ago. I didn't get one myself, but everyone who did raved about the game and now wants to pre-order.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

baelthazar wrote:Also, same devs as Torchlight and some who worked on Diablo and Diablo 2. So a fairly reliable development team.
Very reliable. Travis Baldree developed Fate (sort of an early version of Torchlight) as a one man act and after that was hired to be the lead for the Mythos MMO (before Flagship Studios crashed and burned over Hellgate: London, taking Mythos with it). I played the Mythos beta a lot. It was actually kind of like Path of Exile and was a lot of fun.

After the Flagship Studios collapse Travis helped found Runic and was the lead developer on both Torchlight games before he and Erich Schaefer (he's the ex-diablo guy) decided to split from Runic to form Double Damage Games. Not only is Travis a super nice guy, he's really, really, good at creating procedural games. He's also a rarity, someone who's equally proficient at doing game art and coding. I think it's incredible what they've been able to accomplish on Rebel Galaxy with a two man team.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

tgb wrote:They were giving beta keys away over at qt3 a couple of months ago. I didn't get one myself, but everyone who did raved about the game and now wants to pre-order.
I watched about 1/2 the video so far.

I didn't hate what I saw, but I need more before I'm on board. I realize it's early video footage and I of course am keeping an open mind for it's development, but I'm saying it didn't grab me, although the combat concepts look good.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

ColdSteel wrote:
Very reliable. Travis Baldree developed Fate (sort of an early version of Torchlight) as a one man act and after that was hired to be the lead for the Mythos MMO (before Flagship Studios crashed and burned over Hellgate: London, taking Mythos with it). I played the Mythos beta a lot. It was actually kind of like Path of Exile and was a lot of fun.
I sort of wish he would update Fate. It was such a fun time waster and I enjoyed the lack of story and the procedural dungeons and quests. Nothing like an instant dungeon crawl. In comparison, Torchlight felt constrained by classes and skill trees (not that it was a bad game, just no Fate).

I also wish Hellgate London could be salvaged. So much about that game was interesting and cool, but the gameplay was just too broken.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Had fun in the Hellgate beta but compared to what the videos promised it lacked...well almost everything.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

baelthazar wrote:I sort of wish he would update Fate. It was such a fun time waster and I enjoyed the lack of story and the procedural dungeons and quests.
I agree, such a fun game. I think the WildTangent bought the game and IP from him when they hired him. I think I remember reading something about that, anyway. Nothing to stop him from creating something similar, of course. But after Fate, Mythos, and then the two Torchlights, I think he got a little sick of developing dungeon crawlers. Hence Rebel Galaxy.

Still, RG is a similar procedurally created sandbox kind of game with loot and character advancement (in the form of your ship). It's just set in space. No pets this time though. Unless you want to count the Mercs you can hire as pets.

What's encouraging to me about that let's play I linked above is that all that stuff is happening in just one system in a big, big procedural galaxy. There's always some procedurally generated interesting thing to do no matter where you are. They also said it has a story line but you can just ignore it and play how you want. That guy was playing for hours in just the first system without touching the story. What's not to like?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Definitely interested. Why can't I play nowwwww?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I've watched this for a while too. Incredible what can be done with a dedicated and talented two man team these days like The Curious Expedition. Very excited to have a release date for PC and its only $20 friggin dollars. Should be fun!
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Here's a new and really excellent let's play vid by Travis himself. It's the best one I've seen and shows a lot of the game's systems and how it actually plays. Travis does a great job showing it off. If you're at all interested in this game I highly recommend checking it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMOpIdwdtjc
Jag

Post by Jag »

Wow. This looks awesome. Totally going to grab it.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Jag wrote:Wow. This looks awesome. Totally going to grab it.
Ditto. I've been in the mood for a space game for a while, but nothing has quite grabbed me enough to dive in. Maybe this one will do the trick.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Jag wrote:Wow. This looks awesome. Totally going to grab it.
+1

This is going to be a tough time until Christmas - this, Fallout 4' Wasteland 2 DC, Van Helsing DC, Hard West, and I don't know what else!

I guess Inshould be glad that XCom 2 got delayed and ROTTR isn't being released for PC until early next year!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

This just jumped up my wishlist. Looks good.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The only thing I noticed that it seemed to be missing is any sort of stats/level up for your character/pilot. A lot of these games have that mechanic and adds some additional gameplay and allows you to specialize even further. I'm just wondering if building a better ship is going to be enough.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Reminds me of Starpoint Gemini 2. Very much so. The broadside thing is a new twist, but battles in that game come down to who can turn in better circles and do more damage per circle.

I do like SG2 despite the voice acting. This game seems Extremely similar.
There is no hug button. Sad!
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Grifman wrote:The only thing I noticed that it seemed to be missing is any sort of stats/level up for your character/pilot.
In this game your 'character' is really your ship. And it's all about getting bigger/better ships and finding/buying all kinds of cool upgrades to install. There's even misc. devices you can find that add a variety of cool abilities to your ship. This is all very familiar to those that have played other, similar kinds of space games like SPAZ or Transcendence. It's a lot of fun leveling your ship by adding better and better stuff to it. And in this game there's 21 other classes of ships you can buy and fly, from smallish to enormous. Probably the "RPG" in the thread title is a bit misleading in this regard. No skill trees here.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

ColdSteel wrote:
Grifman wrote:The only thing I noticed that it seemed to be missing is any sort of stats/level up for your character/pilot.
In this game your 'character' is really your ship. And it's all about getting bigger/better ships and finding/buying all kinds of cool upgrades to install. There's even misc. devices you can find that add a variety of cool abilities to your ship. This is all very familiar to those that have played other, similar kinds of space games like SPAZ or Transcendence. It's a lot of fun leveling your ship by adding better and better stuff to it. And in this game there's 21 other classes of ships you can buy and fly, from smallish to enormous. Probably the "RPG" in the thread title is a bit misleading in this regard. No skill trees here.
Yes, I am aware of this - I Abe played the games before :) My point though is that other games like Starpoint Gemini 1/2, Starwolves, etc have skill trees and it would be cool if this did too.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

ColdSteel wrote:
Yes, I am aware of this - I have played the games before :) My point though is that other games like Starpoint Gemini 1/2, Starwolves, etc have skill trees and it would be cool if this did too.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Id love a new Starwolves.

Still waiting for a cool Stargate game though. I want a sim type where Im the boss and manage my gate teams and send them out on promising missions to get new tech and end up with my own ships and such.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Daehawk wrote:Id love a new Starwolves.

Still waiting for a cool Stargate game though. I want a sim type where Im the boss and manage my gate teams and send them out on promising missions to get new tech and end up with my own ships and such.
Have you heard of a game called X-Com? I believe it's very popular.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I speak of a full Mercenaries type game not a squad based game. I want to be General Hammond and run the place not the teams.
astyanax

Post by astyanax »

Don't have as much time to game as I used to, but this looks interesting. I'll wishlist this one. Thanks for making the topic, Grifman.
Daehawk wrote:I speak of a full Mercenaries type game not a squad based game. I want to be General Hammond and run the place not the teams.
Sounds like you're looking for something like Rebuild, but in space?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dont know that one will need to look at it.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I thought the below post by Eric Schaefer over on the Rebel Galaxy forums is fairly illustrative of just what a one man wrecking crew Travis really is. Basically he's done the entire game by himself, which is pretty amazing. He did the same thing with Fate as well (all the coding, art, animation... everything). All that talent plus he's one of the nicest and most humble guys you'll ever see. Just one of the good guys. It's why I've been following his career for years. I always figured a guy that talented was bound to make some great games someday.
mediumheadboy [developer] Oct 3 @ 1:33pm

--- Originally posted by SouldomainTM:
--- Oh, I thought your job was the tech part, and Schaefer’s job was to do the art, story, etc.?

Travis does everything - it's really pretty incredible!
Art Director
Technical Artist
Artist
Animator
UI Artist
... this list is going to be too long. But he does a lot of the the voices, and directs the others, and the story and much more (like being the only engineer for just a small thing).

I pretty much just do design, balance and testing.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Couldn't find that Rebuild game.