Kickstarter 2015-2016 - Mostly Tabletop, but we aren't picky

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

coopasonic

Kickstarter 2015-2016 - Mostly Tabletop, but we aren't picky

Post by coopasonic »

I just wanted to announce how proud I am that I have not spent any money on kickstarter in 2015!

2014: $794 ($100 recouped in resales, with potential for more... anyone want my MERCS:Recon pledge? Galaxy Defenders?)
2013: $886 (~$350 recouped in resales)
2012: $625 (~$50 recouped in resales)
2011: $90 (~$60 recouped in resales)

I would love to say I am not going to spend anything on KS this year... but, given my record, I *really* shouldn't spend any money on KS this year.

Money well spent by year:
2011: none
2012: none
2013: none
2014: I am holding out hope for Hostage Negotiator.

Zombicide is a purchase I don't regret, but it was not worth the money and season 2 and 3 were definitely not (for me).

Seriously. I should stay the hell away from Kickstarter.
Last edited by coopasonic on Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Re: Kickstarter 2015

Post by Lordnine »

My Kickstarter copy of Aquasphere just arrived about 10 minutes ago. :P
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I've backed away from kickstarter for the most part... I too have a Mercs: Recon pledge I am likely going to try to unload, and also a Myth pledge I am going to unload if it ever is fully shipped out.

I somewhat regret backing the second Galaxy Defenders kickstarter, not because I don't like the game, because I really, really like the game, but because I don't get much chance to play it and I don't really need even more content at this point...

I don't regret Zombicide because I get a lot of play out of it, including the expansions, but I do regret just about every other kickstarter I have backed. I am likely done with any this year. I just have no interest in getting involved in yet another kickstarter.

2014- $1003 spent, way too freaking much... I regret almost all of that. Haven't recouped any money yet though. Mercs: Recon will hopefully recoup some of that money.
2013- $982 spent, again way too much, and I regret Krosmaster, Myth, and a few others. I did manage to recoup around $900 selling it online though, so with that in mind it was a good year. Still Myth to sell, hopefully it brings some money.

I've pretty much determined it would take something special for me to back a new project. The last one I backed pledged June of last year, so I have already gone six months without backing anything.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I an pretty far down the rabbit hole for 2014 between Bones II, Zombicide Season 3 and Paranoia RPG. My regrets are the Alien Frontiers Promo pack, Fairy Mischief, Dungeon Roll and quite a few PC games. It will be pretty hard to convince me to buy in another PC/iOS Game due to the habitual delays. FreeSpace Tactics will fail in 5 days, which is probably for the best.

A few things were cheap experiments that didn't bother me when they failed: Coin Age, Lace Anchors and Tie Links.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The real test for me will come when the inevitable Zombicide Season 4 Kickstarter is posted.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Well, they're trying to make me not spend any more money there. It was way too easy with Amazon Payments. Not sure I want to sign up with another credit card handling site.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

coopasonic wrote:The real test for me will come when the inevitable Zombicide Season 4 Kickstarter is posted.
I heard rumor that they were taking a break before season 4. I wouldn't mind it if they took a break let me fully enjoy what I have... But if they do launch season 4 I won't be able to resist.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Chrisoc13 wrote:
coopasonic wrote:The real test for me will come when the inevitable Zombicide Season 4 Kickstarter is posted.
I heard rumor that they were taking a break before season 4. I wouldn't mind it if they took a break let me fully enjoy what I have... But if they do launch season 4 I won't be able to resist.
My storage solution for z'cide is a pretty beefy toolbox. I am not sure I will be able to get the season 3 stuff in there. I think I have to stop. I am not sure I could possibly carry two of those things.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

So far, I'm 3/3, with 7 undecided. I expect to back the new Shadowrun kickstarter in 2015 because of the Harebrained Studios' proven track record in releasing their one game (and expansion... and re-mastered expansion).

I backed FTL and Planetary Annihilation, both of which came out. FTL I consider a supremely solid investment, Planetary Annihilation less so because I couldn't get into it. I suck at non-pausable RTS games I guess. Wasteland 2 is also a solid investment, although I wish I had held off on playing through it large because patches are still coming out quite furiously.

The other projects I've backed have all been communicating on a regular basis and appear to be doing well and don't look like they've taken their money and run. I don't really care whether they meet their stated release dates, because those things always slip in software development. Eternity and Sunless Sea are expected to release this year, so I'm looking forward to those.
Black Lives Matter
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

The only thing I've spent any big money on was the first Bones KS, and while $100 was too much for me to have spent on minis, I'm okay with it. Since then it's been all small, pretty sure-thing projects: various Flash Point expansions and Coup/Coup Reformation. The only ones I'm still waiting on are A Fistful of Dinero, which I backed because it's by a good friend of mine that I wanted to support, and the 2nd Edition of Funemployed, which I'm pretty confident in.

I came this close ][ to backing Bones II and Xia, I'm glad I chickened out of both of those at the last minute.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

2014 was not as heavy a year for me as 2013, which included my ridiculously large pledge for Cthulhu Wars. I don't really regret any of my KS backings, with the exception of Zombiecide Season 3 (although I think I will not regret it after I get it opened). I'm not sure what to think of Mercs Recon, but I did not go whole hog on it, like others here. I'm poised to get a few of these KS in the mail any time now, notably Fief 1429 (which I am very excited about), Scoville, and my 2013 Cthulhu Wars pledge.

I was very happy about backing Arcadia Quest, as it has gotten the most play out of any recent game.

2013 was far less successful, the games I backed were either delayed majorly or a bit disappointed. I, too, a disappointed in Krosmaster Arena. It isn't a bad game, just not one I want to play very often. Shadows of Brimstone is a hit, but I'm frankly disappointed in the play time and the quality of the minis. Most of the others got pushed, and I think I have been waiting over a year for both my Cthulhu pledges (I also pledge the Call of Cthulhu RPG edition 8).

I don't intend to back much in 2015, due more to money and space restraints (I have no room for boardgames). I did toss money into Rum and Bones, because Arcadia Quest was so impressive.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My entire Kickstarter history:

D-Day Dice - received, never played
Shadowrun Returns: Almost finished the first main campaign
Reaper Bones - received, still in the box
Project Eternity - waiting
Unwritten: That Which Happened - waiting, will probably fail
Torment: Tides of Numenera - waiting
There Came an Echo - waiting
Sunless Sea - waiting; beta installed

And then there's Star Citizen.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

There's a resale market for kickstarter backings?

I have about $30 tied up in Kickstarter on some indie games. That's the sum total I've ever put in on games.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Teggy wrote:There's a resale market for kickstarter backings?
There's significant profit to be made on some board game kickstarters. When I get buyer's remorse I sell them for cost, but some have done quite well. There is always risk, but for the most part there are also people out there that missed the kickstarter and can't imagine playing the game without all of the kickstarter exclusives so pay through the nose for them.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Just backed my first game of the new year. Tiny Epic Galaxies.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive never been part of kickstarter. Any good sci-fi or PC game ones now? Or soon'ish?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

hentzau wrote:Just backed my first game of the new year. Tiny Epic Galaxies.
Me too, after saying I wouldn't back one... But I recently played tiny epic Kingdoms a few times and really enjoyed it.

And as to the earlier question about resale market for kickstarter, yes for some board games there is a significant market. It's a gamble for some, but I made $400 profit on a game last year. Just depends on the game,.the exclusives, and the interest in it.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

hentzau wrote:Just backed my first game of the new year. Tiny Epic Galaxies.
Same. [sigh]
-mf
Holman

Post by Holman »

My Kickstarter history.

Project Eternity (CRPG heir to Baldur's Gate): Not Yet Released
To Be or Not to Be (choose-your-own-adventure Hamlet): Received. Hilarious as you would expect from Ryan North.
Up Front (classic card wargame rebooted): A scam. Money tied up in court. Creator fled to Australia.
The Guns of Gettysburg (tabletop wargame): Received. Excellent game.
Stonehearth (a kind of minecrafty village-builder): NYR
Darkest Dungeon (CRPG/strategy/party killer): NYR
Twilight Struggle Digital (Computer conversion): NYR
That Which Sleeps (Evil overlord computer strategy): NYR
Night Witches (WW2 RPG from Fiasco creator): NYR

That's my whole list. My sister, meanwhile, is up to 282 projects.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

My Kickstarter History:

Zombicide Season 2- Still really happy with, game gets a lot of play
Small World 2 The return- Eh, happy with, I never use the app but it didn't cost much
Dungeon Roll- Waste of money. Sitting on ym shelf, boring game.
Galaxy Defenders- Played it ten times, love the game, but have trouble getting people to play with me because it isn't all that straightforward to teach.
Myth- Ugh. The biggest waste of money I have ever spent on KS. I need to sell it but still waiting on a few pieces.
Krosmaster Arena- Not my type of game, just didn't click. But I can't care that much because I managed to sell it for $400 profit so... yeah doesn't bother me.
Wrath of Kings (Zombicide Characters)- Eh, I bought a few copies of the characters for friends and myself so I over paid but I do love Zombicide and that is all I bought from this KS so no bigge.
Buccaneer Bones- Only $9, and I have managed to play it quite a few times so not disappointing.
Monsters & Maidens- Actually a really fun dice game, what I wish Dungeon Roll had been. Not disappointed about this at all.
Dungeon Roll Winter Promo Pack- Huge waste... just a silly boring game. Best solo...
Templar Intrigue- Haven't played it yet... maybe good who knows
Coine Age- Haven't played it yet
Burgoo- Haven't played it yet
Tiny Epic Kingdoms- Just played this for the first time, not sad about it at all, really happy with it actually. And it was cheap!
Ultimate Werewolf Deluxe Edition- Probably too much werewolf for me. Only needed the base set likely but it has been used in a few parties already.
This Town Aint Big Enough for the 2-4 of Us- Eh, ok game, it was $2 so I don't really care if it wasn't that great.
Mercs: Recon- Ugh. Why did I back this again? I have no idea.
Galaxy Defendes 2- Probably a mistake. Big money spent on it and I have no use for more Galaxy Defenders.
Zombicide Season 3- Not sad about. I have already enjoyed 4 games of Rue Morgue and it has been a blast.
Eminant Domain MicroCosm- Cheap, not sure why I backed this.
Tiny Epic Galaxies- Just backed this probably will be good.

So looking over the list the problem is the miniature games. I spend way too much money on them (hundreds) and they just are not worth that much. The mini games I don't feel bad about at all. Generally they are just a few bucks and even playing them just a few times I get my moneys worth out of them. Not too shabby. Not shabby at all.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

If you are into miniature games I’m surprised you don’t have Cthulhu Wars on your list. I actually just got a shipping notice this morning.
Enlarge Image

My actual backing history is pretty large but I enjoy reading about the production process and the anticipation almost as much as getting the finished product, so I don’t really consider it a bad thing. Besides, with the exception of a couple projects that are still delayed, I have yet to be disappointed with something I backed.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I looked at the game when it initially launched and it was somewhat tempting but it had one problem... And i know this is heresy in gaming... But I'm not a fan of cthulhu...
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Lordnine wrote:If you are into miniature games I’m surprised you don’t have Cthulhu Wars on your list. I actually just got a shipping notice this morning.
So jealous. Looks like I am waiting until next week for mine.

And ChrisOC, you best be careful... not a fan of Cthulhu... :evil:
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Chrisoc13 wrote:And i know this is heresy in gaming... But I'm not a fan of cthulhu...
We should start a support group for people not interested in Cthulhu but hang around with people who are. It'd be like Al-anon but with less monsters.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I so wanted to back and play Cthulhu wars. The price tag kept me far, far, far away. I'd absolutely be in line for a version that used cardboard tokens instead of all the plastic. The minis are super impressive, but wasn't the price of the base set something like $150, and it only had a few of the available factions? That's just crazy money for a game nobody had played at the time.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Chaz wrote:I so wanted to back and play Cthulhu wars. The price tag kept me far, far, far away. I'd absolutely be in line for a version that used cardboard tokens instead of all the plastic. The minis are super impressive, but wasn't the price of the base set something like $150, and it only had a few of the available factions? That's just crazy money for a game nobody had played at the time.
Four factions are in the base set and I think two additional factions are coming as add-ons. For what it's worth, the print and play version has been available for a long time. Impressions have been almost unanimously positive.

The funny thing about the price is that they apparently sold the rights to a miniature reseller to keep costs down. That company basically said that the board game on kickstarter is way undervalued for the number and quality miniatures we're getting. I believe each individual miniature of the Great Old Ones is currently selling for between $30-120 if you go to their website.

Someone posted a link on Board Game Geek about a week ago but I can’t find it.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

That's cool that there's a print and play version. I'm not interested enough to spend the time/money to make it up, but it's nice.

I get kind of annoyed at it because it's part of this trend that seems to have gotten way worse with Kickstarter where the thing to do is take a board game, and add a massive ton of plastic to it. It usually doesn't actually add anything to the game itself, but it sure as heck adds a lot to the price. Kickstarter allows it to happen because there's always a number of people willing to throw lots of money at tons of plastic. But ultimately, it keeps pushing the price of games higher and higher, which then locks out a way larger portion of the audience from ever getting it.

Unfortunately, the way Kickstarter works, it heavily favors flashy production values over actual market viability. A more reasonably-produced game without a ton of minis, but able to be priced low enough that it might actually survive on shelves just won't get funded these days. I'm willing to bet you if Flash Point ran its first Kickstarter today, they'd be in danger of not making it.

Rant over, carry on! :)
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I’m probably part of the problem then. Most of the games I’ve backed on Kickstarter have pretty high production values. The reason is two parts; one I care a lot about theme in games, it’s one of the most important considerations as to whether I will like a game or not. And two, a lot of these games are unlikely to get a large distribution channel with normal retailers, so if I want to play them, I have to back them.

My board game list:
Cthulhu Wars (Huge expensive minis)
The Shadow Over Westminster (Has some minis)
Dungeon Lords Anniversary Edition (No minis but very high production values)
Aqua Sphere (This one is actually cheap!)
Black Market Warehouse (A light $15 card game)
Lift Off! (Has custom meeples and looks cute, definitely lighter than the rest)
Rise of the Kage (Rivals Cthulhu Wars for number of minis)
Dark Age Z (No minis but really nice art and a unique concept)
Raid & Trade (Has some minis)
Rum & Bones (Too many minis, this may be my first regret)

This list is larger than I realized...
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isn't Steve Jackson Games supposed to kickstart a revived Car Wars this year? It was promised during the Ogre Designer's Edition campaign.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I hope so. The motto "I made Steve Jackson work on Car Wars!" was a motivator for getting Ogre. Both play heavily on my gaming nostalgia. Ogre was my first game at GenCon, and my game group played a modified version of CarWars/GURPS through high school.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I STILL say a Car Wars game based on the Wings of War/Wings of Glory/X-Wing model would be brilliant.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hentzau wrote:I STILL say a Car Wars game based on the Wings of War/Wings of Glory/X-Wing model would be brilliant.
That's EXACTLY what they are going with. I played the prototype with the designer at BGG.CON back in November.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

coopasonic wrote:
hentzau wrote:I STILL say a Car Wars game based on the Wings of War/Wings of Glory/X-Wing model would be brilliant.
That's EXACTLY what they are going with. I played the prototype with the designer at BGG.CON back in November.
See! I should have been a game designer!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I had the same brilliant idea... as, I think, did every other person who has ever played car wars and a flight path system game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Shush. Let me have my moment.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

All time, I'm in for $245 and probably received that much in retail value back so far-with no project actually being completed yet!

Torment: Tides of Numenera - "All About the Games" - waiting (but recieved Wasteland Beta access and Wasteland so far)

Geekbar - "KNIGHTED Friend of Geek Bar" - waiting (but received private access with the kiddo at ChiMSI, access to a lot of other events, free food, and tons of stuff I didn't take advantage of).
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hentzau wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
See! I should have been a game designer!
I feel I should point out the system does differ in a few interesting ways. Most interesting to me is that you can fail a maneuver and your speed determines your base defense. Also, it has location specific armor as you might expect. The maneuver system is quite different as well, but I am too lazy to describe it. Anyway, it isn't a carbon copy of X-Wing/Attack Wing/etc.... and of course, it was a prototype in development and everything is subject to change.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Please tell me it's keeping car design and damage to individual systems rather than generic hit points.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Next time you back something (as I just did with SR: Hong Kong) you'll find they've dumped Amazon payments for Stripe.
-mf