Age of Wonders 3

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

JetFred

Re: Age of Wonders 3

Post by JetFred »

ColdSteel wrote:Also, they're giving away the original AOW game free today.
Thanks, I like to accumulate the DRM-free versions. I "bought" it but haven't gotten the email yet.
I have but one advocate.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

PBEM is coming back! (At least, the concept--won't actually involve emailing attachments.) Neat.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Tigrans are also going to be added in the new expansion! http://ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-the-tigrans-part-i/

RMC

Post by RMC »

Sepiche wrote:Tigrans are also going to be added in the new expansion! http://ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-the-tigrans-part-i/

Nice. Any ETA on when this expansion is planned to come out?
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

RMC wrote:Nice. Any ETA on when this expansion is planned to come out?
Speculation is around the end of next month.

It looks like they are squeezing everything they can into this expansion. So, it appears they feel this may be the last one unless it sells well. I'm certainly going to buy it. So much awesomeness in a single expansion.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
RMC

Post by RMC »

ColdSteel wrote:
RMC wrote:Nice. Any ETA on when this expansion is planned to come out?
Speculation is around the end of next month.

It looks like they are squeezing everything they can into this expansion. So, it appears they feel this may be the last one unless it sells well. I'm certainly going to buy it. So much awesomeness in a single expansion.
Yeah, I love this game, so this expansion will be a day one purchase for me.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ditto, even tho I don't get to play much lately.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Golden Realms really pulled this game together. I can see this next expansion just pushing it that much further into awesomeness. Bring it on!
Warfran

Post by Warfran »

Stuie wrote:Golden Realms really pulled this game together. I can see this next expansion just pushing it that much further into awesomeness. Bring it on!
Right, just like what Shadow Magic did for AoW2, made it a classic.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Can't wait for this expansion. I loves me some AoW3.
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

So spent a few hours playing this and I have to say that I love it still. I have been trying to get into Warlock 2 and World of Magic, and they just do not compare to AOW3.

I love that you can get allies of some of the unplayable races, and how much depth there is to these races even though they are not playable. (Okay, they only have a few units, but still it is very fun.)

I am hoping with a PBEM version to play, that I am going to be able to get some more play time out of this against other opponents. It is hard to find people and time to play in real time, but if Dom 4 has shown me anything it is that if you host a server they will come. :)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

RMC wrote:I am hoping with a PBEM version to play, that I am going to be able to get some more play time out of this against other opponents.
This. The arrival of my 2nd kiddo shortly after AoW3's release killed my ability to play very much, but I could sneak a daily PBEM turn in. We will need some OO games once that feature hits.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zaxxon wrote:
RMC wrote:I am hoping with a PBEM version to play, that I am going to be able to get some more play time out of this against other opponents.
This. The arrival of my 2nd kiddo shortly after AoW3's release killed my ability to play very much, but I could sneak a daily PBEM turn in. We will need some OO games once that feature hits.
Yes! And my kids are finally getting old enough to give me some time, but also taking time from me in different places. My youngest is now 6, so she does not need constant supervision, but my oldest is now 11, so she needs constant transportation... <sigh>

But PBEM is one of the best ways to allow me to play.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

I love the Tigran images; although I have to admit these particular ones look like the nightmare I’d get from overdosing on AOW SM..

The Tigrans were always, for me, a puzzling race. I envisioned them as being tougher than they actually were but I suppose Tigrans are to tigers the way humans are to chimps: smarter but nowhere near as tough. Of course, Tigran shredders have more effective missiles than the simians.

The Shredders, btw, were my favorite of their units. They weren’t especially impressive, I just prefer missile units; hitting without having to take a hit. I always included them in my line-up as they were low cost and low maintenance in gold coins. Tigran Hunters, I mostly prized for their speed, but the Hunters were slowed too much by the other Tigran units in a combined-arms stack. Hence I used them mostly for variety.

Now that I think about it, I’ve missed the Tigrans. The Fire Cats bolts of flame. The Cat Masters – my near favorites – fast mounted archers, tigers riding tigers. Awesome. Prowlers, too, I loved for their wall-climbing. Expensive but you got what you paid for.

The Manticores, Sphinxes, Mystics – all fun, but expensive and higher level treats. What I usually liked to do was employ cheaper units but more of them. The game felt more challenging that way and somehow more ‘authentic’ in that the AI had more of a fighting chance against a mixed group of low level units than it did against a stack of heavy hitters.

Anyhow, I tigress…
Last edited by JonathanStrange on Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I sat down this morning and was all excited by all the active topics on a Sunday, when there usually isn't anyone talking about anything. Every freaking post was by human-bot.

Human bot seems to be going back and copy-pasting something from the first page of each thread, hoping to look on-topic. This one was a quote by Odin.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

New dev journal up that has some exciting new diplomacy features:
http://ageofwonders.com/dev-journal-vas ... diplomacy/

Some really cool sounding changes in there that fill in quite a few holes in the basic game.
RMC

Post by RMC »

So playing this again, on a very large random map. The AI is still a little dumb in some situations. One of the other leaders started underground right by me, which was fine. But he kept attacking me with very bad stacks. One time it was 3 heroes, which I guess if done right would have been okay, but one was a level 1 guy, and the highest level was like 5 or 6. So he was easily defeated.

The one downside I actually had this game was, I am playing a creationist Arch Druid mage, so lots of summoned animals, and growth type spells. Well one of the first NPC cities I got was the undead archons. Man they are tough soldiers, but they are the evilest bastards, so I can't recruit them or they bring my morale down for my entire stack. Also, if I leave the undead units on the city by themselves, or without a decent stack watching them, they revolt and take the city back. <sigh> I really want to just raze the damn city and build one of my own cities, but that is an evil act. Anyone know any spells or anything to help with this type of morale buster, other than not using the units. :)

I like the giant NPC's, and the dragons kick ass, but of course I don't have either of those npc cities as part of my empire yet.

Overall, I am playing this a lot lately, and hoping that the expansion is going to make the awesome simply better. Oh and maybe make the AI a little less dumb. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Arrgghhh...why won't they release the expansion already!?!? :wink:
Covfefe!
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

RMC wrote:I really want to just raze the damn city and build one of my own cities, but that is an evil act. Anyone know any spells or anything to help with this type of morale buster, other than not using the units. :)
I tend to raze undead cities if I'm playing uber-good guy
Last edited by Bakhtosh on Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Bakhtosh wrote:
RMC wrote:I really want to just raze the damn city and build one of my own cities, but that is an evil act. Anyone know any spells or anything to help with this type of morale buster, other than not using the units. :)

I tend to raze undead cities if I'm playing uber-good guy
Yeah, I think that is what I am going to have to do. <sigh> Not sure why it is an evil act to raze an evil city that only produces evil units.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Hey All, the Beta is out and it contains PBEM.

I started a game with some local friends and it works fairly well.

One person sets up the map, etc and how many human and AI players. Then sets a password and names the game.

Then everyone else joins the game, and put in their leader.

When the last person adds their leader, then the turns start. The game emails each participant, to tell them it is time for them to take the turn.

That is simple as well, go to multiplayer, choose PBEM and select the game you want to play, and hit the play button.

Anyone want to set up an OO game? All you have to do is upgrade to the latest Beta, which may have bugs, but it's all in fun to test it out. :)
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

RMC wrote:Anyone want to set up an OO game? All you have to do is upgrade to the latest Beta, which may have bugs, but it's all in fun to test it out. :)
I'm barely keeping up on our Dom games at the moment, but once the new AoW expansion is officially out hopefully work will have slowed down enough that I'd be interested in giving it a try.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Sepiche wrote:
RMC wrote:Anyone want to set up an OO game? All you have to do is upgrade to the latest Beta, which may have bugs, but it's all in fun to test it out. :)
I'm barely keeping up on our Dom games at the moment, but once the new AoW expansion is officially out hopefully work will have slowed down enough that I'd be interested in giving it a try.
hehe.. I have been working full time and going to school full time for so long, now that I am only working full time, it feels like I have tons of time. :)

I'll keep posting here as the expansion gets closer. :)
RMC

Post by RMC »

Been playing a PBEM game with some local friends. It works very well, and really does let you play when you can. No server to set-up, or anything funky. Just set-up the game, set a password, tell your friends what game to log into and they set-up their leader and then the game starts. It emails everyone when it is their turn, and there are some nice functions, IE - send an email out to all players, etc..

The expansion is getting very close to being released. Still not sure when it will be released, but the new class and the 2 new races look awesome.

Anyone else as excited as me?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm excited, just not enough hours in the day to give it the attention it deserves.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

RMC wrote: The expansion is getting very close to being released. Still not sure when it will be released, but the new class and the 2 new races look awesome.

Anyone else as excited as me?
They announced April 14th as the release date.... and I am counting the minutes. I've been trying to limit my playtime with the current game so as to fully enjoy/engage with the expansion, but that hasn't really been working. I keep playing regardless.

It's funny how the game seemed so simple and straightforward when I started, but the more I play the more layers appear.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Here's a new let's play posted by Tombles of Triumph Studios showing off the Necromancer and Frostling gameplay in the expansion. I can't wait for this. One more week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKJ6RtE0iBk
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
RMC

Post by RMC »

It's being released today. Still can't buy it, and I have no idea what the price point is, but I will be purchasing it today. :)
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

RMC wrote:It's being released today. Still can't buy it, and I have no idea what the price point is, but I will be purchasing it today. :)
Announcement on their site indicates it will be 19.99 in whatever your local currency may be (dollars or euros). My Steam wallet is loaded and ready to fire. :)
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'm not even seeing any mention of it on GOG, which is unusual.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Stuie wrote:
RMC wrote:It's being released today. Still can't buy it, and I have no idea what the price point is, but I will be purchasing it today. :)
Announcement on their site indicates it will be 19.99 in whatever your local currency may be (dollars or euros). My Steam wallet is loaded and ready to fire. :)
Out to Best Buy and getting my Steam card to load so I can buy it. :)
Jag

Post by Jag »

tgb wrote:I'm not even seeing any mention of it on GOG, which is unusual.
Unlocks on Steam in 4 hours. Probably be available on GOG at the same time.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoo hoo, I know what I'm doing tonight!

...I really shouldn't leave straight lines like that just lying around threads.
Covfefe!
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'm going to do my best to wait for a sale. I've barely made a dent in Pillars, have my Ryleh campaign going in Stardrive 2, and would like to get back to Sovereignty some time soon.

That said, I get paid Thursday and will be lucky if I make it to the weekend.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Folks were trying to convince you NOT to buy Pillars of Eternity based on your dislike of the Baldur Gate games and your expressed reluctance to add another game to your backlog.

...you lasted about 48 hours in spite of that.

Let's not play this charade again. Just grab it at noon. :lol:
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote:Folks were trying to convince you NOT to buy Pillars of Eternity based on your dislike of the Baldur Gate games and your expressed reluctance to add another game to your backlog.

...you lasted about 48 hours in spite of that.

Let's not play this charade again. Just grab it at noon. :lol:
I managed to hold out on Cities for almost 2 days as well.. This is a buy when I get home game..
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

tgb wrote:I'm not even seeing any mention of it on GOG, which is unusual.
Noticed the same thing.

Not that I need it right away, with Sovereignty and Pillars, but still...
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

and boughtened
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Awful nice of them to put it up for sale today, no? :)
It's almost as if people are the problem.