Cthulhu Wars (Board game) Season 2

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Lordnine

Cthulhu Wars (Board game) Season 2

Post by Lordnine »

My copy of Cthulhu Wars arrived today. Since this is a huge and rather special release I figured I would document the unboxing. I backed at a rather high level so I will also have the expansions coming later in the year if anyone is interested in seeing those as well.

The corner is a little damaged but I don’t care about that. Look at those puny peasant games in the background.

Space Hulk for Size comparison

So what is in the box?

A lot! Most of it seems really high quality, but what is really impressive is that Kickstarter backers should be receiving higher quality versions of a few of the thinner components later this year for free in addition to a bunch of free plastic models. On top of that, anyone who was willing to back at higher levels is getting some plastic components to swap out the cardboard with.

Detail on the larger models is pretty great.

They are also HUGE

Cthulhu now leads the Blood Ravens into an era of heresy!
Last edited by Lordnine on Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AWS260

Re: Cthulhu Wars (Board game) [Picture Heavy Warning]

Post by AWS260 »

Awesome. Going to paint the minis? And can we even call them minis at that size?
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Macro-inis. :D

I plan to paint them eventually but it’s probably not going to be any time soon. The reason I had all my Space Hulk minis there is that I have been (slowly) painting them up, usually about four at a time. Right now I still have about 8 Genestealers left to do.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

So excited! Mine should come tomorrow (it is at my local PO, so they say). I'll confess, I backed at the DVM level, so I will be getting everything (yes, I am a madman). I wish the gates and extra pieces were coming in the first wave, but I have faith they will get those to us in a timely fashion.

Those "macro-tures" or "macro-minis" or whatever are going to be interesting to paint (harder in some ways because you can't "fudge" the small details). Also, I find the otherwordly color palette and alien nature of the Cthulhu mythos hard to paint (you have colors mixing in odd ways, like pinks into blues and the like).
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Agreed on the painting. Most of the minis I’ve painted maintain a fairly consistent solid block of color motif. These will require more blends/gradients to look nice, which is a bit daunting. I figure if I wait and check out Board Game Geek in a few weeks, others will have done the work of finding good looking mixtures for me, and then I can mimic them.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

So wish I had the spare cash to have gotten in on this. The game itself sounds really interesting.

It's too bad that a there won't be a more affordable version put out in wider numbers. It looks like the minis (maxis?) are awesome, but not required for the game mechanics, so doing a version subbing cardboard tokens for the plastic should be possible.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

You have a copy of the reissue of Space Hulk? :shock:

Yeah yeah Cthulhu looks cool whatever.
There is no hug button. Sad!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

killbot737 wrote:You have a copy of the reissue of Space Hulk? :shock:

Yeah yeah Cthulhu looks cool whatever.
I had one too and sold it. I was as ambivalent about Space Hulk as you are about Cthulhu. I'm just not sure what people see in that game. It seems more rolling the die than actual fun.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Chaz wrote:So wish I had the spare cash to have gotten in on this. The game itself sounds really interesting.

It's too bad that a there won't be a more affordable version put out in wider numbers. It looks like the minis (maxis?) are awesome, but not required for the game mechanics, so doing a version subbing cardboard tokens for the plastic should be possible.
After reading the rules and laying out a test game last night, I feel like it shares a lot of similarities with Chaos in the Old World. Cthulhu Wars is more streamlined and polished but it shares a lot of the same mechanics.

The big difference being that COW gives each player access to numerous spells, drawn randomly, to influence battles and areas, whereas CW gives each player only six, which you can plan for/around.

You may want to track down a copy of that game and see if it interests you. It still has miniatures but is much cheaper.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Lordnine wrote:
Chaz wrote:So wish I had the spare cash to have gotten in on this. The game itself sounds really interesting.

After reading the rules and laying out a test game last night, I feel like it shares a lot of similarities with Chaos in the Old World. Cthulhu Wars is more streamlined and polished but it shares a lot of the same mechanics.

The big difference being that COW gives each player access to numerous spells, drawn randomly, to influence battles and areas, whereas CW gives each player only six, which you can plan for/around.

You may want to track down a copy of that game and see if it interests you. It still has miniatures but is much cheaper.
Yeah, I agree. Having looked at the older set of rules and watched the playtests, CW is heavily influenced by CitOW. If theme doesn't matter, Chaos in the Old World is probably the cheaper pick. That being said, CW does seem to have a bit more going on in the strategy game/war game arena, IMHO. The unit powers in CW seem more combat oriented and there is less of the emphasis on the strange type of scoring that is present in CitOW (which is excellent, don't get me wrong, but you don't always win by dominating the map in CitOW). This is all early level thinking without the game in hand, so it could be that I am totally wrong and they are carbon copies of one another when they hit the table.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Oh, I've owned CitOW, and I do like it. But I'm okay with having more world domination games, especially ones that lean more toward direct conflict.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I have the worst goddamn luck. Even though the Shipping Fulfillment company (Newgistics) says that my Cthulhu Wars package was given to my local Post Office on Friday, I called them up and was told that they have no evidence that the package was in that shipment (it wasn't on the manifest nor was it scanned into the USPS ever). Newgistics didn't know anything at all. So, my package is officially lost.

Now I sit and wait to hear back from the Petersens, hoping they can find some way to help me.

Seriously... this seems to happen to me every. damn. time.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten a chance to play my copy yet. (silly friends having lives!)

But if anyone feels disappointed that they didn't get in on the game the first time around, you can get it as part of their new game launch, Theomachy. Not a great discount (shipping hurts), but if you are already interested in both games, not bad.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Yow, dat shipping. Effectively $30 extra just to ship Cthulhu Wars seems...excessive.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Well, still haven't got my copy yet. Still in shipping limbo. The Petersens know about it and have promised to get me a copy - but so far no exact details on how and when.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Now I want to see a copy of OGRE next to Cthulhu Wars.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Send me a copy of Cthulhu Wars and I'l take the pictures.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud wrote:Now I want to see a copy of OGRE next to Cthulhu Wars.
aaaannndddd add OGRE to the list of games you won't let the rest of us play here in Chicago. I don't even hear you talk about it any more.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I did play someone else's copy of OGRE in the House of Yodel. I keep forgetting to reread the rules, much like Cyclades.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Zarathud wrote:Now I want to see a copy of OGRE next to Cthulhu Wars.
Whenever I get the damn game, I'll do this.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud wrote:I did play someone else's copy of OGRE in the House of Yodel.
You mean Yoder Dame?
Covfefe!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I've played the game a few times now and have been very happy with the product. The games creator made an interesting admission recently though and I thought it was worth sharing since a lot of people have commented on the price.
Okay here is the honest to God truth about why the game was made so "overproduced" as it has now been infamously described.

I thought this was going to be the last game that Sandy Petersen ever designed on his own. I had had no income for about two years, while I failed to get a small phone app company going. I decided to take a job working for The Man - doing games decided upon by corporate suits, sequels, and knock-offs. I'm not whining - The Man is whom I worked for most of my life, and he has been good to me. So I was fine with this. I had gotten an excellent job offer with terrific benefits, a good salary, and even stock options. I was going to head to my new firm in August 2013.

But before I went back to The Man, I wanted to do One Last Game. And if it was going to be my last game from the innermost depths of the soul, it was going to be on my favorite topic, using my favorite type of gameplay, and by golly I was going to finally fulfill my boyhood dream of making a big plastic Cthulhu toy. My favorite toys as a lad were plastic dinosaurs, and I would have LOVED to have Cthulhu monsters as well.

I wanted my last game to be a massive,deluxe horror that was basically a love-song to my favorite author, genre, and games, all rolled into one. So it had to be 28mm figures, and LOTS of them. It had to be striking, stellar art, creating a whole new style for Lovecraftian horror - no longer staid and underplayed but active and wriggling. I really sweated blood on this one.

But despite this, I expected Cthulhu Wars to be a simple cash cow that would earn maybe a couple hundred thousand dollars, and set up an income flow to help support me in the future.

Instead it skyrocketed, and I had to phone The Man and tell him I had created myself a new job from scratch. Instead of being my last game ever, I founded a whole new company from it and now I am kept busy designing more games.

I will never regret the high price of Cthulhu Wars, because of where it came from. If I had expected it to be the first in a series of projects, it might have been smaller-scale, I admit. But on the other hand it might not have had so much of ... my soul ... in it.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

After a month, several emails, and switching from USPS to 2nd-Day UPS shipping... I GOT MY COPY!!!!

As promised, the pics with Ogre Deluxe:

You can see, Ogre Deluxe is about two times bigger, but the models for Cthulhu Wars are three times the size of the Ogres. Is this game overproduced? Absolutely. But I have to say that Tom Vasel's complaints about this seem unfounded when you think about why the game was made in this way. Also, he complained about the other parts of the game having weaker production values, but all the cardboard chits are extremely heavy duty, so I'm not sure what he means. The faction boards could be a bit nicer, but a bit of lamination might cure that.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Glad you finally got it! Given it a test run yet? Among my group it has been a constant hit (played four times so far), the only problem is that with the base game, it’s only four players and my group tends to run 5-6.

As to the production values, I kind of the agree on the player boards and doom tracks, but at the same time, I believe Kickstarter backers are getting thicker cardboard boards when we get the remainder of the stuff this summer. That doesn’t help newcomers but it makes it harder for me to complain about.
Lordnine

Re: Cthulhu Wars (Board game) [Picture Heavy Warning] Season

Post by Lordnine »

It was revealed recently that the Cthulhu Wars expansions cost too much to produce to actually keep in stock. That means that anyone who did not back at higher levels on the Kickstarter are sadly out of luck. After a bunch of people voiced their disappointment, Peterson Games has decided to move forward with a Season Two Cthulhu Wars Kickstarter. (likely within the next month)

So far, things on the agenda include:
  • Free component upgrades for people who backed the original Kickstarter. This includes thicker Ritual/Doom Tracks to go with the thicker player boards we’re already getting.
  • Reprint of all expansion factions.
  • Access to the plastic gates and dice.
  • New neutral GOO’s, likely including those created by Ramsey Campbell.
  • Possibly a MASSIVE sized map to accommodate 8 players.
  • Possibly a new faction expansion. (there has been talk of a human faction)
On the bad side, they have admitted that shipping the first KS was painful, so shipping prices will likely be much higher this time.
What this also means, is if any of you are interested in getting the faction expansions instead of just the base game, this is probably your only opportunity, at least within the next year or so.
baelthazar

Re: Cthulhu Wars (Board game) Season 2

Post by baelthazar »

I did finally get my copy, but it was after two of them disappeared (I am pretty sure they got stolen and sold on eBay). I am glad that I backed at the DVM level, and I expected something like this to happen (that the neutral GOOs would eventually be basically KS exclusive). With the way this project was worded, it sounded like it was a "this may be the only time these are available" sort of thing.

That being said, a Season 2 sounds interesting. Hopefully, having gone all in for the last one, I can get some of the new stuff at a lower cost pledge.

I still haven't been able to play a proper game of it. I intend to play the weekend after next with some major Cthulhu cultists, so that should be fun!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

My box 'o goodies for the rest of the Kickstarter pledge showed up this week... an 18lb box stuffed with boxes and boxes in boxes. No clue how I'm going to store all of it.
-mf
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Nice! Mine is expected to arrive tomorrow. I suppose this means I need to hurry up and finish painting my Blood Rage figures…
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Lordnine wrote:Nice! Mine is expected to arrive tomorrow. I suppose this means I need to hurry up and finish painting my Blood Rage figures…
Mine is Tuesday. I really should get back to painting. The blood rage figures would look awesome painted!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

baelthazar wrote:The blood rage figures would look awesome painted!
The amount of detail in them really is impressive. I have all the Monsters and one set of sculpts (4x5) for each army painted at this point. The Cthulhu Minis look good but CMON really knock it out of the park.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Ok, the sheer mass of Cthulhu Wars stuff is pretty amazing. I have no idea where I am going to store the 3 boxes and 30+ pounds worth of new stuff!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

baelthazar wrote:Ok, the sheer mass of Cthulhu Wars stuff is pretty amazing. I have no idea where I am going to store the 3 boxes and 30+ pounds worth of new stuff!
Well, I would be happy to take a 6-8 player map and extra faction off your hands if they are cluttering up your space too much. :D
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Lordnine wrote:
baelthazar wrote:Ok, the sheer mass of Cthulhu Wars stuff is pretty amazing. I have no idea where I am going to store the 3 boxes and 30+ pounds worth of new stuff!
Well, I would be happy to take a 6-8 player map and extra faction off your hands if they are cluttering up your space too much. :D
LOL! Not likely, at least in the case of the factions. On the other hand... check back with me in a few months about that other map. I will probably never get a chance to use it.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Hah, well, I actually pledged enough on the OS2 Kickstarter to get the 6-8 player map, but that wont likely arrive till next August at the earliest.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Some pictures of the new stuff!

This is MOST of the items from my CDG pledge. The cardboard box on the right is filled with the plastic grey gates and there are about a dozen more figures that are duplicates of monsters from the main factions, as well as little plastic stands to display them all in another box.

A comparison of the largest new models in CW with the largest from Blood Rage.

I think the Giant can take it!
Enlarge Image

Sword lady, maybe not so much.
Enlarge Image
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Those painted minis look so excellent! I wish you could give me a master class in painting!

I am also so stocked that we got a set of red CW minis as part of the KS (along with awesome altars). Those will look great painted and on my office desk!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Thanks. I find them really fun to paint because of the huge amount of detail they have. With the exception of Games Workshop, I’ve never seen minis that were better.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Lordnine wrote:Thanks. I find them really fun to paint because of the huge amount of detail they have. With the exception of Games Workshop, I’ve never seen minis that were better.
I got a chance to play Blood Wars and, in addition to the excellent minis (as you said), the game itself it quite fun. I think it was one of my favorite backed projects, just under Arcadia Quest and Cthulhu Wars for sheer value and awesome stuff.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lordnine wrote:
Sword lady, maybe not so much.
Enlarge Image
Is that Mum-Ra?
Black Lives Matter.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

So I have to admit, I went back on my original plan and upped my pledge for Onslaught 2. I thought that my original pledge in O1 included the high priest expansion. Adding them now increased my pledge to within $30 of the tier to unlock the extras, so I figured I might as well just go for it even though they didn’t excite me that much.

Now I’m also getting the Library Map Expansion.
El Guapo wrote:
Is that Mum-Ra?
Don’t pick on my fire giant! He is angry and burny! :P