[TV] Gotham (Spoilers)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Enough

Re: [TV] Gotham (Spoilers)

Post by Enough »

DD* wrote:Any way to get this and Flash if I didn't DVR them?
Both networks have the shows available on their websites iirc.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Rip

Post by Rip »

Hulu
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

I really loved Barbara's hypocrite reaction to finding Jim and his new girlfriend together. Hello? Did she forget about the months of living with her ex girlfriend doing drugs after abandoning him? How the hell does she merit having a daughter named after her?

It was also nice seeing Selina put her in her place.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That was a good episode. They really did a great job of introducing the hood as a character (rather than whatever chump is under the red hood. :ninja: ) So much Joker foreshadowing without nailing down which character is the Joker yet.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rip

Post by Rip »

Blackhawk wrote:That was a good episode. They really did a great job of introducing the hood as a character (rather than whatever chump is under the red hood. :ninja: ) So much Joker foreshadowing without nailing down which character is the Joker yet.

That smile and busting out laughing uncontrollably at the most awkward times has me sold on this one. If he isn't it somebody should be fired for not making it him.

and does anyone else wish they could send a couple people to Zsasz so he could work on them?

You have to admit he does really good work.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Rip wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:That was a good episode. They really did a great job of introducing the hood as a character (rather than whatever chump is under the red hood. :ninja: ) So much Joker foreshadowing without nailing down which character is the Joker yet.

That smile and busting out laughing uncontrollably at the most awkward times has me sold on this one. If he isn't it somebody should be fired for not making it him.

and does anyone else wish they could send a couple people to Zsasz so he could work on them?

You have to admit he does really good work.
At this point I have to say Zsasz is numero uno super bad guy on the show, just super creepy and a tank. No wonder Falcone uses him as his protector. :shock:
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I think he's the likely candidate, too, but with all of the teases they've pushed, plus all of the fans looking for the Joker, he may just be too obvious.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Blackhawk wrote:I think he's the likely candidate, too, but with all of the teases they've pushed, plus all of the fans looking for the Joker, he may just be too obvious.
When it comes to the villains, they really haven't shied away from being obvious. In fact they tend to deliver them with a big ol' nudge and a wink.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Except for the Joker. They've been teasing him throughout the season - a character that fits one characteristic here, a tell-tale laugh in the background there.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Likely spoiler for this season: It is confirmed that
Spoiler:
Smith/Mooney will not be in season 2.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Blackhawk wrote:Likely spoiler for this season: It is confirmed that
Spoiler:
Thank heavens!
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Blackhawk wrote:Likely spoiler for this season: It is confirmed that
Spoiler:
Yep read an interview today where that was confirmed by the actor.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Wow, this thing is peaking nice.

Lot of storylines starting to peak and they are all good.

None is better than the Bruce Wayne character though. The attraction to Selina yet the obvious conflict.

"Everyone is staring at us"

"Well, I am Bruce Wayne"

"I am"

:D

These last few episodes of the season will be an awesome ride I suspect.

The anticipation for the next season will be unbearable.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Its been a fun ride this season. A lot of what they built on early has taken a back seat to the Ogre subplot lately but they are still slipping in small character advancements. They have made some pretty good casting choices for this show. Ben MacKensie Gordon and Donal Logue's Bullock clearly drive the show but they've done and excellent job with but the castings for Bruce, Selena and Cobblepot have been excellent as well. This season is looking to end with a helluva bang.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Good episode last night. I loved the look on Harvey's face as the "high class brothel" went from scantily clad women to guys in diapers, then pigs and chainsaws, or whatever that final act was.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Finale was pretty good but not without some annoyances. The Barbara thing was BORING! An overload of Fish Mooney again. Is she really gone this time? I wish they had done it more certainly like Maroney. Pretty sure he won't be back. :D

I wanted more of the Bruce finding out stuff part but looks like we will have to wait for next season. It also sound like Gordon will be commisioner real soon so that should be entertaining.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

I think they could have used at least a two-hour finale to cover all they tried in the finale. It was OK, but just felt so rushed.

- Last we saw Fish she was shot in the gut, then she shows up with a bedazzled head and then we get a "two weeks later"?? Oh, and Selina joins up because... why?
- Last we saw Gordon he was presumably the man of the hour for putting a stop to Ogre, now he warns a rookie not to get to attached to him because he's on the outs because.... why?
- GANG WAR!!! Except it looks like everyone's been arrested, Falcone is out and about buying chickens then gets ambushed and has suddenly lost all his crew but wait! He can fix all this he just needs 2 days in his hideout?
- Penguin was seemingly robbed of his moments but he pushed Fish into a river (oh I'm sure she's dead) and then declares himself the King?
- PLEASE let Barbara go. Is it wishful thinking the doctor bashed her head in and killed her but they simply didn't have time to cover that?
- The introduction of the Riddler side of Nygma was well done but felt like they dragged it out. OK, we get it, he's going schizo on us.
- Needs more Batman.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

+ 1 to Daveman on all counts ... especially the Selina turnaround.

Guessing the next season starts us off by filling in those blanks?
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I agree the finale seemed rushed but...

As far as Gordon pushing a rookie cop away? He was still a major target of the commish and the last cop he befriended caused the whole Ogre situation.

I didnt care for Selina joining Fish's gang but I can see her being impressed by Fish's Washington crosses the Delaware return to Gotham and being draw to following a powerful woman.

The rest, yeah spot on.
mori

Post by mori »

Slutty Barbara was good, crazy Barbara not so much.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Michael Chiklis is back in law enforcement - and heading to Gotham.
The Shield alum will play GCPD Captain Nathaniel Barnes in Season 2. A "law and order zealot" who enters the police force "like a tornado," Barnes shakes up the organization and racks up enemies on both sides of the law while doing so.
http://www.tvguide.com/news/michael-chi ... -season-2/

Enlarge Image
Rip

Post by Rip »

Season 2 started off well.

This is going to be fun!
Odin

Post by Odin »

I'm apparently destined not to watch this show. Halfway through season 1, a fight between Verizon and Fox caused me to miss an episode. Well, I couldn't very well watch any more of the show at that point, so I figured I'd re-watch season 1 on Netflix and then dive back in with season 2. Except apparently at some point I got sick of deleting the episodes TiVo was still recording every week and nuked my season pass. Which means that it didn't record the season premier last night. Fooey on the whole thing - I'll binge-watch it on Netflix someday.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enough wrote:
DD* wrote:Any way to get this and Flash if I didn't DVR them?
Both networks have the shows available on their websites iirc.
Just to follow up, Season 1 was added to Netflix yesterday. I didn't give the show a look when I heard about it last year, but I watched the first two episodes last night of Season 1 and added the new season to my TiVo. I like what I see so far and I'll do my best to catch up. :D

EDIT: Oh, I guess...Odin has that covered.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It was one of the bigger surprises of last season for me. I honestly thought it was going to suck. But the kid they got to play Bruce Wayne is fantastic, the actor portraying Penguin nails it...and Jada Pinkett Smith disappears for a while at least.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, from the limited amount I've seen the actor playing the Penguin is stealing the show. I picked up quite a few of the nods and references, but the article linked at the beginning of this thread covering all the hidden stuff in the first show was great. I'm a bit surprised it a 22 episode run, but I guess if it works for Agents of SHIELD it can potentially work here.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rip

Post by Rip »

To try and be cryptic and not give anything away.

I will still spoiler just in case but note it I really don't consider it much of a spoiler.
Spoiler:
I always expected that Gordon eventually becoming commissioner would somehow be due to Bruce so that the relationship makes sense. That said the kind of passive way in which he turns Gordon from a honorable feisty do-gooder into a man with a purpose, willing to do what the job requires was brilliant.

I'm just asking questions. Forgive me if I have offended you

The kid pulled it of like a natural.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

They have certainly changed up the tone with the new season. If it possible, it seems much darker and yet campier at the same time. The kid that is "possibly" a young Joker, is channeling a real Nicholson vibe without going too over the top. I also like what they've done with Barbara. She is apparently filling the slot of femme fatale that was vacated by Fish ( smart move, writers ) and chews up the scenery big time when shes around. Its a great flip from the mousy eye candy she played most of last season. Bruce Wayne is great, as is the Penguin. And the guy playing Victor Zazz has one of the best "Im a frikkin lunatic" faces on TV. Oh and Morena Baccarin in a sheer black teddy, yeah, that happened. The only thing Im hope isnt happening is that it seems like they are pushing Bullock to the background a bit. I hope that isnt the case because I really think Donal Logue nails that role.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's one of those shows you have to enjoy on its own terms, versus comparing it to the larger Batman canon. Once you wrap your head around the fact that this is just another take on the Batman story, it becomes entertaining for what it is.

I'm kind of surprised when Batman die-hards express a negative opinion of the show, given that of all superheroes, Batman is re-versioned and re-defined seemingly every few years. I've been a huge Batman fan since I was a kid, and I survived Burton, Schumacher, Frank Miller, Nolan, Superfriends, animated series, and every other take on the character, all of which are wildly different from each other.

I think all the villain casting is great.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Odin wrote:I'm apparently destined not to watch this show. Halfway through season 1, a fight between Verizon and Fox caused me to miss an episode. Well, I couldn't very well watch any more of the show at that point, so I figured I'd re-watch season 1 on Netflix and then dive back in with season 2. Except apparently at some point I got sick of deleting the episodes TiVo was still recording every week and nuked my season pass. Which means that it didn't record the season premier last night. Fooey on the whole thing - I'll binge-watch it on Netflix someday.
you can watch it on fox's website
http://www.fox.com/gotham/full-episodes
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

YellowKing wrote:It's one of those shows you have to enjoy on its own terms, versus comparing it to the larger Batman canon. Once you wrap your head around the fact that this is just another take on the Batman story, it becomes entertaining for what it is.

I'm kind of surprised when Batman die-hards express a negative opinion of the show, given that of all superheroes, Batman is re-versioned and re-defined seemingly every few years. I've been a huge Batman fan since I was a kid, and I survived Burton, Schumacher, Frank Miller, Nolan, Superfriends, animated series, and every other take on the character, all of which are wildly different from each other.

I think all the villain casting is great.
Exactly. If youre complaining about all of the canon changes that Gotham brings, go compare Batman over the years from Adam West to Christian Bale and all of the stuff in between. Then tell me how Gotham is ruining continuity. As YK said its a just another take on the Batman mythos and its a pretty good show judged on its own merits.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Who, oh who is the new head villain (Theo Galavan) they introduced in this episode? It has been hinted that he may be a known villain. We've already covered quite a few classics. We know the Penguin, we've seen Two-Face and Riddler. We've seen (probably) Black Mask and Joker. Tommy Elliot has shown up (and is too young.) Many of the villains would be too young. So... Hugo Strange? Ra's al Ghul? Something involving the Court of Owls?

It did stand out to me that they threw out he word 'magic' three separate times in relation to him, too. Zatanna's father?

Pondering is fun.
Odin

Post by Odin »

naednek wrote:
Odin wrote:I'm apparently destined not to watch this show. Halfway through season 1, a fight between Verizon and Fox caused me to miss an episode. Well, I couldn't very well watch any more of the show at that point, so I figured I'd re-watch season 1 on Netflix and then dive back in with season 2. Except apparently at some point I got sick of deleting the episodes TiVo was still recording every week and nuked my season pass. Which means that it didn't record the season premier last night. Fooey on the whole thing - I'll binge-watch it on Netflix someday.
you can watch it on fox's website
http://www.fox.com/gotham/full-episodes
Thanks for the tip!

Hmmm.... hmmm.... It looks like they keep the last four episodes. So assuming that I didn't re-watch the episodes I've already seen, I'd have three weeks or so to watch the second half of season 1 on Netflix before the first episode of season 2 would drop off Fox's site. Hmmm.... that might be do-able.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Thanks to the Emmys we now know that Benjamin Mckenzie and Morena Baccarin :wub: are a couple in real life as well.
-mf
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

New season trailer.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Blackhawk wrote:New season trailer.
Looks great but one thing I noticed, no Bullock at all in there. I will be disappointed if they have dumped Donal Logue.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

rshetts2 wrote:Looks great but one thing I noticed, no Bullock at all in there. I will be disappointed if they have dumped Donal Logue.
He's listed throughout the season on IMDB and featured in promo posters/pics, so I imagine/hope he's still in.

I enjoyed the season opener very much but I'm a little concerned. I've been watching the show with my 13y/o son and last season exercised parental censorship a few times. The season opener and glimpses of the season are really dark, surprisingly so IMO for a show at 8pm.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I'm all caught up! And I'm glad I did, too. The season finale and season opener were both really good.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, it looks like Morena Baccarin (Leslie Tompkins) and Ben McKenzie (Gordon) are The Pregnant and getting married.
Rip

Post by Rip »

No wonder Barbara was so upset.

:D