Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Holman

Re: Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures

Post by Holman »

Turtle wrote:Hey, if I could use Geordi Laforge as a crew member on one of my ships, nothing could stand in the way of my fleet.
"I can fix a warp drive with chewing gum and some math by Data, but a HYPERDRIVE? That's... that's not even real!"
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

It's difficult for me to wait for the scum and villainy expansions, I find myself more excited about the upcoming wave than I have been about any other expansions to come out.

I managed to get a game in recently with wave 5 ships and I learned a few things from it. I also was able to fully utilize the A-wing improvements from Rebel Aces. I don't have as much experience from either of these waves yet so I really tried to implement both of them in my list.

I flew 2 loaded green squad A-wings (A-wing test pilot, outmaneuver, push the limit, and of course chardaan refit) and a fat Dash list (with heavy laser canon, C-3PO, and predator) against 2 academy ties, a decimator and an interceptor. The A-wings went straight for the decimator and actually managed to make very short work of it. That is one thing I learned in this game, is that although A-wings have very low fire power the fully loaded A-wings were extremely effective against the decimator. because with outmaneuver and push the limit on they were nearly impossible to hit, and yet they always managed to get a hit or two against the decimator every turn. Really that part of the game was helped by beautiful flying on my part (in my biased opinion). I managed to keep the A-wings in range one of the decimator nearly the entire game and even with the decimator having a turret it didn't manage to even take 1 shield off the A-wings (most turns they had both a focus and an evade). A few pictures of that side of the match. The decimator is just so large to loomed over my A-wings at times as they were right up under the Decimator so close they were underneath the model:

The other side of the match was not so pretty. I knew that the tie fighters and the interceptor flying in formation would likely chew up my A-wings or at the very least make them spend their focus tokens and thus be less effective in attacking, so I sent Dash to try and distract them and hopefully eliminate 2 of the tie fighters while my A-wings handled the turreted decimator. Dash... was not successful. This was my first time every flying the YT-2400 and it was ugly. I had an HLC on it, but I managed to roll so poorly that I didn't get hit the entire game. I did not bring the outrider title as I didn't want to be left without the turret at range 1. The tie fighters managed to stay out of my arc and thus were mostly only subject to attack of 2 for most of the game.

Long story short (or at least shorter) the A-wings managed to destroy the decimator without losing a single shield, and the tie fighters managed to destroy Dash without taking a single hit themselves. It was a very bizarre game. The downside was that once the YT-2400 was gone the A-wings simply didn't stand a chance against the still untouched tie fighters and they were destroyed after only managing to damage the tie fighters.

I'm not sure Dash is worth the extra points for me. Sure it's cool that obstacles basically are not a problem for him but I avoid obstacles anyways like the plague with big ships so for me I would probably rather take a different, cheaper pilot if I take the YT-2400 again. Or I should just use better strategy when flying dash and go to the asteroids so the tie fighters have trouble following. I also think I would take the Outrider title next time. There would rarely be a time a ship wasn't in range 2 or 3. Or I could wait for the new canons from scum and villainy to come out to make the outrider title even better.

Oh and fully loaded A-wings rock. Honestly rebel aces made A-wings so much fun to fly, especially when they are loaded up with 2 elite pilot skills. What a great fix for that ship. I am really looking forward to the fix for the Tie Advanced.

On another note, my brother gave me a pretty cool ship for my birthday, he took one of my Tie Phantoms and painted it so that it looks as though it is becoming uncloaked to attack. It looks really cool in person, I am a big fan of it.

I also managed to try my hand at my own modification, but the results were much less stellar. I took one of my falcons and took off the original dish. I order a rectangular dish from shapeways, painted it, and inserted it instead so one of my two falcons looks like the falcon in the trailer for episode VII. It looks cool, except it was my first ever painting attempt. I didn't match colors very well. I am going to give it another try. Luckily it isn't a big deal as the dish simply pops out so I still have the original if I never manage to make it look good. But here is my first attempt:

Edit- because posting on my phone led to many errors and typos.
Last edited by Chrisoc13 on Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I just want to say that I really, really enjoy your X-Wing AARs. Thanks.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Hey Raydude! Impressed that two little A-wings took out that Decimator. I recently played with a friend but it was such a long time since the last time we played that we just stuck to the normal small ships. I think next time the Decimator and other larger ships are going to come out. How do you like the Decimator anyway? It seems like a well armed plodding truck of a ship.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

AWS260 wrote:I just want to say that I really, really enjoy your X-Wing AARs. Thanks.
Thanks! I enjoy writing up after games (not every game I play but ones that I have pictures of on my phone at least).
$iljanus wrote:Hey Raydude! Impressed that two little A-wings took out that Decimator. I recently played with a friend but it was such a long time since the last time we played that we just stuck to the normal small ships. I think next time the Decimator and other larger ships are going to come out. How do you like the Decimator anyway? It seems like a well armed plodding truck of a ship.
For some reason I never had considered how good the A-wings could be against a decimator. But with no agility for the decimator and 3 attack dice at range one with a focus as well the A-wings did serious damage. I'm not sure what would be more effective the in the future, predator or outmaneuver. They had outmaneuver this time around (as well as push the limit) which of course was effective but that was because he was flying the decimator that once you have damage cards assigned gets 1 agility. So the outmaneuver canceled the pilot skill essentially. But predator with push the limit might be even better. Roll dice. Re-roll blank(s). Use focus to make all 2 or 3 hit every turn. Still have an evade to defend.

In terms of the Decimator, I actually really like it. It is a tank, no doubt. But it is a tank that you have to carefully build with IMO. With no agility it needs support, and it needs some sort of defense. So far I have only used Captain Kenkirk (who's power is if you have no shileds and one damage card you get to increase your agility by 1) with Ysanne Isard as a crew member (who if you have at least 1 damage card assigned give you a free evade action). So I have only taken the very defensive version of the VT-49 in various different situations. With that set up it takes a beating early on (no agility really gets to you) but becomes much better once it hits the hull as suddenly it has an evade every turn and has 1 agility, not much, but enough to make a difference. With the right support ships I have had some real success with this ship.

I have a few other combinations I want to try with the decimator as well, such as:

Admiral Chiraneau (one eye result is turned to a critical hit at range 2 and 3) with experimental interface (use one upgrade card with the "action" title as a free action every turn then take stress) and expose (EPT upgrade increase attack by 1 and decrease agility by one this turn). It becomes an offensive juggernaut then without much compromise in terms of agility (since it rarely has any anyways...).

The ramming speed special- Captain Oicunn (each enemy ship you touch after executing a maneuver suffers 1 damage) with Dauntless title (after overlapping a ship you get 1 free action, then take a stress), Intimidation (EPT that any ship you are touching has 1 less agility), with intelligence agent (see another ships dial before moving) and navigator (change your bearing). Maybe an engine upgrade to make sure it is hitting things. I think I would pair this with either Howelrunner and two acadmy ties in formation, or with Whisper with veteran instincts, advanced cloaking device, and gunner. Something of that nature.

Not sure how either of those would work out but it would be interesting to try so I think I will soon. Paired up with some support ships (mini tie swarm, a phantom or defender, or a couple interceptors etc).
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Hmm, I was flying a TIE defender my last game with an ion cannon for the heck of it which came in handy. I wonder if the ramming variant plus an ion cannon on the Defender to pin down your enemies would be an interesting combo. Best thing about playing this non-competitively is that you can try stuff like this out for fun.

Also can't wait for my Scum ships to come in. Some of those salvaged droids look pretty interesting.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

$iljanus wrote:Hmm, I was flying a TIE defender my last game with an ion cannon for the heck of it which came in handy. I wonder if the ramming variant plus an ion cannon on the Defender to pin down your enemies would be an interesting combo. Best thing about playing this non-competitively is that you can try stuff like this out for fun.

Also can't wait for my Scum ships to come in. Some of those salvaged droids look pretty interesting.
Oh I like that idea. Yeah that's why I like casual play as well. You get to come up with fun combos and not just min/max and make sure your list has all the right counters to everything else. I've played in a few tournaments but they take too long (I can't normally dedicate a Saturday afternoon to gaming) and I get tired of the same lists over and over again and playing my list 4+ times in a row without trying something new.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Well I tried out the ramming special Decimator. it actually worked ok, but I learned a few things about it. Thought I would post a report here about it since we talked about it.

So the imperial list was:

+ Captain Oicunn Decimator (all enemy ships you hit take 1 damage)
- Intimidation (all ships touching it lose 1 agility)
- Engine upgrade (gives boost)
- Intelligence agent (look at a dial of another ship each turn)
- Navigator (change the speed of the chosen bearing)
- Dauntless (May take an action after overlapping a ship)

+ Delta Squadron Pilot Tie Defender
- Ion cannon

+ Academy Pilot Tie FIghter

Against:

+ Keyan Farlander B-wing (can spend stress tokens as a focus on attack)
- Push the limit (two actions, stress ship)
- Heavy laser cannon

+ Nera Dantels B-wing (can shoot out of arc with torpedoes)
- Push the limit
- Flachette torpedoes x2
- Heavy laser cannon
- Bwing/E2 (adds crew slot)
- Nien Nunb (all straight maneuvers green)

+ Green Squadron Pilot A-wing
- Wingman (remove 1 stress token from a ship at range 1)
- Chardaan Refit

Basically the idea of his list was to use stress effectively and have Keyan use stress to increase attack power and have the green squad help shed the stress of the other B-wing. Pretty good list I thought. I rather liked it.

I threw in the tie fighter as filler thinking one extra ship would really help give just a little extra firepower and distraction. But... it didn't work, and for good reason. I planned on obviously putting the decimator right into the battle and going in head first. I was going to keep the defender close to ionize enemies to prepare them for ramming. Then initially my plan was to keep the Tie fighter on the outskirts to annoy them, especially behind the B-wings since they only roll one defense and could fairly easily be dealt with. But I forgot... and for some reason put my Tie Fighter right into the initial scrum. Well... it was one-shot by a B-wing in the first volley. That was it. Gone.

Poor flying and decision making put my tie fighter in a horrible position before the first volley

I thought I was in trouble at that point. I also had some serious trouble even ramming the slow moving B-wings. They are slow moving and yet I still had trouble getting them into position. For some reason when making the list I forgot that you cannot boost if it would cause you to hit another ship... so that upgrade was worthless for my purpose. Yeah I still used it from time to time but not the way I intended.

The Defender did manage to ionize one B-wing and guide it away from the main fight over and over again since the decimator would have been torn to shreds by two B-wings. It was looking possible for me despite having lost a ship in the first volley, but my decimator was taking serious damage from Keyan every turn without being able to ram anyone, and the A-wing I left alone completely focusing instead on the high powered B-wings. I was pretty certain I had lost at this point.

The Defender shepards the B-wing away from the fight with the ion cannon while the other B-wing slowly knocks down my decimator.

A bit later I managed to finally get my decimator into position to do some damage with it's ramming attack. It was an effective ship overall in attacking though, it didn't need to ram to be effective, it was just a lot of wasted points in that particular build. The decimator rammed the A-wing once (the only time it was hurt until the end) and then finished off the Nera B-wing by ramming it twice.

The last successful ramming of the B-wing

Things were looking down though. At this point my Decimator had 2 hull left, and my Defender had 1 hull left. It was ugly. My opponent had an A-wing missing a shield, and a B-wing with 3 hull left. I was certain I was done. I already knew that A-wing could seriously damage the Decimator from my previous game, so I knew I needed to finish off the B-wing. I had some extremely lucky rolling where the B-wing missed the Decimator with the heavy laser cannon and then the Decimator finished off the B-wing in the same turn. Now the tide had turned, and I knew that the A-wing was in trouble. With a Defender AND a Decimator it just didn't have what it took. The game ended shortly after.

So the ramming... didn't work out that well. 3 hits total. It wasn't bad, but building a fleet around it was too many points wasted. But the decimator is a good ship in its own right without the ramming so it was fine. I still continue to enjoy the defender.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Great AAR! Thanks for trying the ramming strategy out. I guess the Decimator is rather cumbersome so it's hard to get it into position. I'm impressed that you flew it through an asteroid field. The Defender did a nice job defending though.
Black lives matter!

Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Shipping notification for scum today... soon... soon.

Scheduled delivery date? Tomorrow... I will miss living this close to miniature market.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Ooh, that means my preorder shouldn't be too far behind.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

And my scum fleet has arrived!

A little bit of a blurry picture, but the ships sure do look good (as always).
I feel like my collection is getting a bit out of hand though... Looking forward to playing the new ships and getting them on the table, should be a lot of fun to have so many new options to try. It will especially be nice to have the Firespray in the right hands finally too.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Had a chance to play a game with my new scum ships today. I played against the rebels, I learned a lot, although I did lose and it came right down to the wire. I'm going to post a session report or two with picture tomorrow (not the best pictures I must admit but pictures non the less). To put it briefly at this point though- I really enjoyed the new ships and the scum faction. It was fantastic. More to come.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My ships arrive tomorrow. :)
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

I don't remember if it was reposted by someone here or elsewhere, but the idea of modding the X-Wing stands with magnets is brilliant. After only $10 in supplies my admittedly small collection is fully converted over to magnetic stands. I went with neodymium ring magnets for the ships and ball bearings (BBs, essentially) for the stands. Gluing ball bearings to the stands was tougher than I expected, but otherwise it worked great. Much easier to get everything set up for a game now.

I am going to have to redo the B-Wings, that 90-deg bend in the stand needs to stay. I also modified the two large ships I have (Decimator and YT-2400) but in retrospect, I'm not sure it was necessary. Their stands are already a lot beefier, and you have to be a lot more careful about putting the magnet on the model's CG, or they will tip over pretty easily.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Would love to see a parts list and pictures.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Are you talking about this?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I've been supergluing washers to my bases like this:

Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Blackhawk wrote:Are you talking about this?
Yes, that is exactly what I used, right down to those exact magnets and ball bearings. I bought 20 of the smaller ring magnets (with matching steel bearings) and 5 of the larger countersunk 3/8" magnets and matching bearings. Total was about $10 plus a few dollars for shipping.

I basically broke the pegs off of the miniatures, cleaned up that area a bit, then glued a magnet in its place. I started with Gorilla Glue as well because I had some, but quickly switched to superglue. Regular Gorilla Glue expands as it dries, so I had several bits of overflow on some models that I had to trim off. You don't see it in play, because it's on the underside, but the superglue dries much cleaner. For the stands, I snipped off the end of the peg that inserts into the model, used a file to flatten it smooth, then drilled out a shallow depression in the end of the peg (easily the trickiest part). The bearings rest nicely in that with just a tiny drop of glue to secure them.

The ring magnets snap right onto the ball bearings. The B-Wings, as I said, don't work as well as I'd like because the magnet is mounting on the back, rather than the bottom. However, the peg I pulled off the model can be modded to put a ball on the end of that, which will add a nice 90-deg bend to the stand for the B-Wing to mount on.

I also think the worth of modding the big ships is debatable. The pegs are already much beefier, so less concern over breakage. The models are heavy enough that you really can't bank them, they just end up sliding all the way sideways. The larger ring magnets are strong, but not THAT strong. You'd have to do something to resurface or rough the bearings so the magnets don't slide as much. It would probably make more sense to use flat magnets for both the ship and stand, so the ships don't move at all.

I'll try to post pictures later.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Boudreaux wrote:It would probably make more sense to use flat magnets for both the ship and stand, so the ships don't move at all.
Disc magnets?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Alright so for a little report from a game yesterday.

Scum Vs. Rebels, 100 pt limit

My scum list:
2 IG-88 list.

IG-88B (once per round if you miss with an attack, you can attack again with a cannon) and IG-88C (if you perform a boost action, you may perform a free evade ) both with the exact same layout otherwise:
- IG 2000 title (share all pilot skills)
- Determination (ignore pilot critical hits)
- Heavy laser cannon (range 2-3)
- Autoblaster (range 1)
- Inertial dampeners (illicit upgrade- discard card to do a white 0 maneuver and add stress instead of your move)

I have been excited to try the two ship IG lists, so I thought this was fitting. And although it was a lot of points, I thought it would be fun to use the dual cannon slot as well so the ships had an opportune shot regardless of range, and if they miss... a second shot.

My rebel opponent flew:

Eaden Vrill YT-2400
- Outrider title
- C-3PO
- Mangler cannon (rage 1-3)

Corran Horn E-Wing
- Predator (re-roll 1 dice attack, 2 if opponent skill is 2 or less)
- Accuracy Corrector (automatically get two hits)
- R7-T1 (action- choose a ship range 1 or 2 and get a target lock, then perform a free boost)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (Z-95 head hunter)

Using the Mangler cannon on an outrider was something I think lots of people were looking forward to because it gets rid of the doughnut hole problem of the HLC). But Eaden had a pretty useless power when using the Outrider title.

Things started out pretty well for me, well for one of my IG-88 ships. I had one go straight in and one try to slowly get around the outside. The boost free evade combo was pretty awesome, but without push the limit or another ability it meant anytime I used it I wasn't getting any ability to modify dice (focus or target lock) every time I used the boost action. I initially took determination because the idea of losing one of their pilot abilities and it costing both of them the ability but I think predator or push the limit would have been better.

Anyways my one IG-88 managed to get behind the helpless Z-95 and took care of it. The E wing was target locking and boosting out of arcs with it's astromech and doing plenty of damage to my other IG-88. All the while the outrider managed to skirt around the outside and deal plenty of damage to the same IG-88.

Shortly after the first scrum, I'm not in bad position but I do have 2 stress tokens.

My second IG-88 flipped and then used inertial dampeners to stay put to allow the E-wing in front of it. It worked well, but it was costly as now my ship had 2 stress tokens on it which meant no actions for at least two turns. Ouch.

I had incredibly lucky rolls with my IG-88 in trouble to keep it alive with one single hull. The outrider with the mangler cannon was simply killing me.

The Z-95 died this round, due to the other IG-88 off camera. I used the inertial dampeners to get a great finishing shot on the Z-95.

Within a turn or two after this I managed to eliminate the E-wing, and now it was just the outrider and 2 IG-88s. Although my one IG-88 was on death's doorstep. Only 1 hull left, a stray piece of space dust would finish it off.

I maneuvered my healthy IG-88 right in front of the outrider hoping it would draw fire from the other IG-88 but of course with a mangler cannon it simply didn't matter as my rebel opponent completely ignored the IG-88 in front of his nose and took a shot at the limping IG-88. My weakened IG-88 was shot down and it was one on one.

My IG-88 followed the outrider and managed to really do some damage against it, but of course while the outrider couldn't manage to get out of my arc he also didn't need to even keep me in his arc and continue doing damage.

The great chase across the map of the IG-88 following the outrider.

Finally it was down to one hull each, next shot was going to win, and of course I had the higher pilot skill and with an autoblaster at range 1 there was nothing the outrider could do to defeat me! I was going to win. Or so I thought. The outrider had flipped the previous turn, and then went 1 forward green maneuver to wipe the stress and then barrel rolled off to the side. I would have been fine, except I went one straight because I had thought there was no way I would not be able to fire on the outrider, but alas with the final move I had no shot to take and the rebel finished off the scum. If only I hadn't already used my inertial dampeners!

The final positioning, when my last IG-88 was taken care of.

I really enjoyed the game, it came down to the very end and ultimately I was done in by good flying. But the two IG-88 scum list worked very, very well.

A few thoughts-

- Illicit upgrades are incredible. I didn't talk about it much but I was able to use inertial dampeners on both ships to great use. They are especially good on higher skill level ships. It really was useful, and for only one point it was a no brainer if I have an extra point and don't have an illicit upgrade I think I will take it every time. It is the simplist of the illicits to use, but I am looking forward to trying the other ones.

- The IG-88 skill sharing title is awesome. It really is cool to have so many powers. But I don't know if determination was worth it. They have 4 shields, so it will take a while for crits to hit anyways. Instead I think I would rather take push the limit or something which would then allow for more dice modification while still making use of evade and boost etc.

- The mangler cannon on the outrider was great, sure it doesn't hit as hard as the HLC, but it also hits at range one so it takes away that weakness.

- I should have taken autothrusters on the IG-88s! The prevalence of turrets in the game at this point means I think it's almost an auto-include with ships that can boost. It would have helped immensely against this list since the outrider just tore me apart almost always out of it's arc.

- I liked the dual cannon set-up, but it was expensive. Not sure if it was worth it or not. But it was fun! I think next time I would take a mangler cannon and then add push the limit and autothrusters instead.

Looking forward to trying out some of the other scum ships now.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

At Octocon, Seppe and I are going to set up our Star Trek Attack Wing game right next to Chrisoc and Zarathud's game. Then we're going to make even louder ship noises than they do. Eventually, we're just going to hurl our ships at their table from across the aisle while shouting, "Chewie on this!"
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I look forward to watching Ryker crash the Enterprise....
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'll have Manfred Von Richthofen come in and shoot all of you suckers down.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As the slap war spills out into the parking lot, many cries of "For gryffindor!" are heard from the younger crowd, as the older participants break out their collector edition, still in the box phasers and light sabers.

Eventually, the police show up and, after 25 straight minutes of laughter and numerous selfies, they reestablish order by threatening to call everyone's parents.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Boudreaux wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:Are you talking about this?
Yes, that is exactly what I used, right down to those exact magnets and ball bearings. I bought 20 of the smaller ring magnets (with matching steel bearings) and 5 of the larger countersunk 3/8" magnets and matching bearings. Total was about $10 plus a few dollars for shipping.
That's fantastic, and just gave me an idea for miniatures. I've been toying with an idea for a way to make it possible for animal companions/familiars to be moved from their own bases to their masters' and back as was needed for play. I may have to experiment.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:As the slap war spills out into the parking lot, many cries of "For gryffindor!" are heard from the younger crowd, as the older participants break out their collector edition, still in the box phasers and light sabers.

Eventually, the police show up and, after 25 straight minutes of laughter and numerous selfies, they reestablish order by threatening to call everyone's parents.
These are Chicago Police, remember? They would haul us all off to an undesclosed "Black Site" and make us all play Wealth of Nations until we are broken.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Soooo...4 guys crying in pain while Zarathud giggles with joy then.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:Soooo...4 guys crying in pain while Zarathud giggles with joy then.
Just another Saturday night.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I will have to arrange for that to happen. There mist be some benefit to my wife volunteering as a CAPS Coordinator and provider of baked goods to patrolmen.

Wealth of Nations is a much maligned economic market game inspired by the classic PC game MULE that I discovered at my first Origins Game Fair. The fiddly market auction rules were fixed in revised rules, after the locals started to chase Fantasy Flight's latest and greatest releases.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

A package came while I was out of town:
X-Wing: YT-2400 Freighter Expansion Pack (Fantasy Flight Games, No, New)
X-Wing: M3-A Interceptor Expansion Pack (Fantasy Flight Games, No, New)
X-Wing: Most Wanted Expansion Pack (Fantasy Flight Games, No, New)
X-Wing: Rebel Aces Expansion Pack (Fantasy Flight Games, No, New)
X-Wing: StarViper Expansion Pack (Fantasy Flight Games, No, New)
X-Wing: IG-2000 Expansion Pack (Fantasy Flight Games, No, New)
X-Wing: VT-49 Decimator Expansion Pack (Fantasy Flight Games, No, New)

I believe with that my current storage solution has met its match.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'm on my third Red Plano 5231, one for each faction. Only the Epic ships and pilot cards don't fit inside:

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

ImageImage
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You spend more time organizing that game than you do playing it. :P
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He and Zarathud should host a show on the Style Network called "Tray Chic" in which they excitedly show how to organize chits for approximately 42 minutes each week.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zarathud wrote:I'm on my third Red Plano 5231, one for each faction. Only the Epic ships and pilot cards don't fit inside:

Are those the new rebel tie fighters?
Isgrimnur wrote:You spend more time organizing that game than you do playing it. :P
I can't really argue with that. I need to do some more work to make starting a game faster. I need to play more to figure out how best to accomplish that.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Wave 7 was announced today, initially since it was being announced at the Star Wars celebration I was expecting it to be Episode 7 ships since there are some options from even the teaser alone, but it is not. I've heard of all but the little scum fighter before, but only really excited about 1 of the ships in wave 7 just off first glance. But I wasn't excited about lots of other ships in the past which ended up being pretty fun (E-wing, Z-95, M3A etc.) so I will give them a fair shake and pick up one or two of each and try them when they come out. So far FFG hasn't let me down once so I'm looking forward to trying them.

Houndstooth (ship I am most excited about by far), Scum Kihraxz fighter (looks pretty cool actually), and then the K-wing on the right in the background:

Tie punisher (kind of dorky looking, like a bomber on steroids) and the K-wing in the background again:

It looks like at first glance from images earlier that the Houndstooth has the first 180 degree shooting arc which is really interesting. And there is something interesting about the K-wing, might be a 360 turret up front? Can't completely tell actually but interesting all the same. Not that the rebels need another turret if that indeed is what it is.

I'm assuming this wave will attempt to fix the secondary weapons issues. I'll be interested to watch for the release articles to see what exactly these ships can do but I'm always excited for new content.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I was afraid of this when they went with scum and villainy. At least the S&V faction ships looks decent. Now though, they're going deeper into the silliness of the Extended Universe which exists mostly off nostalgia than quality.

Still, those new ships do actually do new things for X-Wing. The K-Wing might be the first turreted by default small fighter. But it's just really ugly, worse than the E-Wing.

Meanwhile the Punisher might have some new mechanics for the use of missiles. The TIE Punisher is actually the TIE Interdictor in the EU, although most likely here it's just an upgraded bomber.

There was talk about FFG changing how they were using missiles, for example them putting in munitions failsafe for 1 point is a good sign they know that missiles and torpedoes aren't that cost effective. They way they've upgraded the TIE Advanced with a free upgrade to include a new system upgrade slot, and a new system with a reduced cost for the advanced is interesting.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

The models of course look fantastic, because this is FFG. The punisher to me looks a little silly at first glance, but the model does look really good, and if it is a heavy bomber with some serious payload and FFG has found a way to make ordinance worthwhile while packing a punch then I am all for it's inclusion.

The K-wing I was surprised with how much I like the look of it. I thought the drawings I had seen in the past were stupid, but it really looks like a cool model, even if the ship is a bit odd. I'm hoping it is a heavy ordinance carrier as well and with a new fix really packs a punch that way. I don't love it having a turret. We have enough turrets.

Hopefully these ships and fixes they carry will also breathe some life into the Tie Bombers and also manage to give yet another use for the Y-wings (which has become a really versatile ship in the game now).

The houndstooth I love. It looks fantastic, and huge. I'm guessing it will come in with the same price point of the Decimator.

The impossible to pronounce scum ship I'm very "meh" about. I feel the same about it as I do about the M3-A or whatever. It's small and fills a role, but doesn't really fit star wars for me.

I'm trusting FFG because up to this point they have made a beautifully balanced game and I expect that to continue. They have managed to breathe new life into the interceptors, balanced down the phantom, increased the use of Y-wings, managed to find a great fix for the dead Tie Advance, and even support ships like the Lambda and the HWK have a place in the game. All with new releases and upgrades instead of huge lists of errata which would have been the "easy" way but much less impressive or elegant in the long run. I trust they will be able to fix bombs and missiles, torpedoes etc. They haven't failed yet.

Hopefully getting a game in today with some scum action again. Still getting used to the scum faction but I do enjoy it.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

For those interested the new articlefor Wave 7 is up on FFG website.

Looks pretty interesting overall honestly. A few things that stuck out that I really liked:
- The houndstooth with a Z-95 escape pod essentially, that is a cool new mechanic.
- The SLAM action
- The K-wing in general looks like one of the most unique ships in the game yet, small base with a primary turret, only ship with a SLAM action, and heavy ordinance as well. Looks like it will be a new experience and I like that, even if the ship is a bit interesting looking.
- The boost for ordnance that this wave is getting, partially via new ordnance, partially via this card:

It seems like a lot of people don't like this form of patching, but I actually do like it. I think it rewards ships that have the primary purpose of carrying ordnance, without simply benefitting every ship in the game. I also like that it isn't a modification so you can still take munitions failsafe with it or a different modification. Overall I find it really good fix, along with new ordnance and it really should help fix the ordnance a bit. I think ordnance should not always be an auto include so I'm fine with the fix. It makes ordnance heavy lists (like fleets of bombers or punishers, Y-wings, K-wings) viable without continuing to make them obsolete by giving every ship that carries ordnance a boost. A good fix in that regard.

Speaking of subtle fixes over the course of the last few releases the Y-wings have really been beefed up and continue to benefit from multiple upgrades to the point where they are bow becoming extremely viable ships.

The punished looks nice, and I do like it having a system upgrade, but it doesn't necessarily excite me as much as the K-wing with it's new mechanics and the Houndstooth with all the new stuff it brings.

The Kirhaz is very "meh" but it does fill an important role with the scum faction so they now have a strong midrange fighter that can be a bit of everything and is a good fit for many lists for scum. Overall I think it isn't the most exciting or interesting ship in wave 7, but likely will end being a heavily used ship since it essentially looks to be the Scum faction's X-wing.

Also had a chance to play a scum vs scum game recently, and played it on ym FFG death star mat for the first time, snagged a picture of it:

I really like the FFG mat actually. It is a bit slippery on the top but it looks beautiful and really complements the game well.