Subnautica - another stranded survival game..looks good.

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Subnautica - another stranded survival game..looks good.

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB4V4zStpzk

The video for it. It looks like it may be the best of them. I have Stranded Deep and The Forest. Deep is ok and Forest is not anymore to me. But I may get this one if its cheap.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Re: Subnautica - another stranded survival game..looks good.

Post by jztemple2 »

Yeah, I've got it on my wish list, it looks interesting and has a lot of positive Early Access reviews.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Some great looking games like this atm but all early release, please can we have a great full release somewhere for something
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Subnautica is made by the people who made Natural Selection. So while this is early access, I actually trust them to finish it since Natural Selection 2 they worked on for an incredible amount of time. They run their studio efficiently and frugally. They have also put the game's development tracker online on trello, and are adding and refining features at a good rate.

It's set in the future, after a spaceship crash, so expect future tech. It also takes place primarily underwater, as opposed to on land. So while both those two prior survival games mentioned look a bit samey, it's amazing to swim around in such a good looking seascape.

Finally... IT HAS A DRIVABLE SUBMARINE. Not only that, it has multiple submarines, one is a small one man craft, the other is a proper multi-crew submersible that you can walk around in and upgrade to dive into some great looking underwater locations.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For folks who want some more information on the game, I can recommend the game's announcements page on Steam. There's a lot of good information not only on what's being added or updated in the game, but items like this explaination of the new loot system, which talks about how they responded to inputs from the community to make changes to the game.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

After seeing the Submarine and Base building, I think I want this game, but set in space, and crossed with Bridge Commander and Star Control 2. Is that too much to ask? :)

Are they planning to do a story in the game? Or at least an end goal? (eg, survive long enough to get rescued)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I was a bit bored and so I picked this up on Steam Early Access after swearing I was going to wait for final release :roll: . It's yet another survival game, but the underwater setting gives it an interesting twist. There are a number of "Let's Play" videos out there, but be aware the game has changed quite a bit since the earlier videos. This one, Let's Play Subnautica Part 1 - Game Basics (Tutorial Video of the Basics) is actually pretty good.

After two hours of playing the Survival mode my impressions are pretty positive so far. No crashes or weird glitches so far. I'm still in the early bits of gameplay, just finding resources and building some basic items.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Haven't posted about this in a while. Since I've gotten it the developers have added a number of major updates, the latest being The Habitat Update which adds Moon Pools, Observatories, large compartments, bulkhead doors, and more.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Pretty cool. Im still waiting on a sale. thought the summer sale would have a good one but nope. Its already pretty cheap I know but I want it cheaper.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Wow - looks cool. Added to my wishlist.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

My wife picked this up a while back and I've played her copy a bit. Very fun game with a nice crafting progression and visuals.

The only thing that might give some people some pause is at the moment they are leaning away from making it coop... just single player. Last I read they hadn't decided for sure, but that's the direction they were headed at the moment.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just FYI for some folks, I've had an issue with the game in that it doesn't have a Vsync option and for some reason even though I've enabled Vsnyc in my Nvidia control panel, the game still run at full tilt, trying to achieve 144 fps :shock:. However, you can manual enable vsync through the debug console.

- Press F3, brings up the debug console
- Press Enter on the keypad, opened a text entry window in the lower left
- type "vsync 1" (no quotes) in the window and press regular Enter
- Press F3 to remove console.

You'll have to do this each time you start the game :roll:, but at least it works.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

This looks better than most survival games but I was disappointed to discover that they have no current plans to add any sort of multiplayer component. A large part of the fun of crafting/survival games is getting to show your creations off with others.
Lee

Post by Lee »

One of the YouTube videos I had seen, made it sound like their is a lack of long term content. It doesn't take long to get everything built, and then you run out of things to do. Is this true?
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Lee wrote:One of the YouTube videos I had seen, made it sound like their is a lack of long term content. It doesn't take long to get everything built, and then you run out of things to do. Is this true?
If the video is older, it might not reflect the latest updates. Each new update has added new things to build, which required more materials to be found, which encourages more exploration. The game is still in alpha and I believe there is a plan to add what is essentially a campaign.
Lee

Post by Lee »

It was shortly after the large sub was added, not sure how long are that was. I loved the old Wii game Endless Sea (think that was it, scuba exploration game without combat), and thought it might be a more interesting version of that with some combat. So you think it is worth getting now jztemple, or waiting for it to advance more? I have been wanting a good exploration game.
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Lee wrote:It was shortly after the large sub was added, not sure how long are that was. I loved the old Wii game Endless Sea (think that was it, scuba exploration game without combat), and thought it might be a more interesting version of that with some combat. So you think it is worth getting now jztemple, or waiting for it to advance more? I have been wanting a good exploration game.
I'd say it's a pretty good exploration game right now, remembering that the game map is not unlimited. It's very stable (I've never had a crash). However, while the terrain type changes going from area to area, what you do in each area and for the most part what you are looking for in each area is the same. The challenge is staying alive by having enough food and water and air while you dive deep to the bottom and into caves. And if you really feel like you need to be challenged, there's an Iron Man mode where your game ends the first time you die. There's also an easier mode where you don't need to worry about food or water, just air.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Lee wrote:It was shortly after the large sub was added, not sure how long are that was. I loved the old Wii game Endless Sea (think that was it, scuba exploration game without combat), and thought it might be a more interesting version of that with some combat. So you think it is worth getting now jztemple, or waiting for it to advance more? I have been wanting a good exploration game.

Endless Ocean - was a good game. I think there was even a sequel.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Some of my current work. First, my new sea base! Just a start for now, but I call it home :D

Image click to enlarge

My aquarium, for when I'm just too lazy to go outside and look at the fish:

Image click to enlarge
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Do fish and resources respawn?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Cylus Maxii wrote:Do fish ... respawn?
Something something bears spawn camping.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Cylus Maxii wrote:Do fish and resources respawn?
Sit down son... Let's talk about the birds and the bees...
Lee

Post by Lee »

First game I am about to die of thirst. Lost my silly knife in the sand trying to figure out to equip stuff. That set me back. Will have to start over just as I was getting to be able to build stuff.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

One other thing worth mentioning is that this supports Oculus. When I tried it last a couple months ago you had to jump through a few hoops to get it working, and the framerates were so low it was not really playable in the long term, but it was visually pretty amazing and definitely gave the feel of swimming around the ocean.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

baelthazar wrote:
Cylus Maxii wrote:Do fish and resources respawn?
Sit down son... Let's talk about the birds and the bees...
:)

Seriously though:

I have watched some youtube videos for the game. In some of them, the resources seem to respawn. In others, its discussed that they don't and that areas are eventually picked over and fished out. For me, that would make the base-building aspects less interesting since I would have to pack and move to new areas.

I do understand that there is a larger sub that is basically a mobile base. But I am interested as to how large the game area is, if it is randomly generated and if the resources respawn. I know its a game in development, but I'd like to know the current development direction for these things.
Lee

Post by Lee »

I am thinking I may need to play without food and water. I like having to do them, but they go down so quickly it seems like I have spend too much time ensuring I have both.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Actually food and water aren't that big a concern if you do some planning. Using the Fabricator you can make bleach which makes 30 points of water or just use an airsack fish (which swim slow and glow at night) to make 15. You can catch a number of fish and cook them in the Fabricator, which gives them more food points while giving them less negative (or even positive) water benefits.
For me, that would make the base-building aspects less interesting since I would have to pack and move to new areas.
Actually this is a good reason to build the Cyclops submarine. Essentially it's a mobile base since you can build in it pretty much everything necessary you can put in a base. It's also got a hanger for your Seamoth mini-sub which charges it. I built one on my first playthrough of the game so for this one I've opted to build a big base first to play around with the new content, then I'll build the Cyclops .
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Playing this game at night (on screen and real life simultaneously) is really scary and really cool.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Just wanted to point out that they are doing a story, and there are a few things in already that work in regards to that. You can build a radiation suit to go inside the irradiated zone around the ship, and into the crashed ship, and repair the leaky reactors to prevent them from going critical and removing the radiation in the area.

No details on what the story will end up being, but it's obvious it will involve what strange forces hit the Aurora with the energy pulse that caused it to crash, and probably what happened to the rest of the crew and colonists.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another big upgrade for the game, The Seamoth Update (Steam announcement page here)
A brand-spanking new Subnautica update has been released: Seamoth! It is available right now on Steam, and will automatically download to your Steam Library if you have Subnautica installed. The best place to see what’s inside is the Seamoth Update page,[unknownworlds.com] where you find all sorts of juicy details! Hint: Torpedoes, electromagnetic pulses, armour plating…

The Seamoth Update brings gobs of love to the Seamoth Submersible. Almost everything in the update is centered around making the Seamoth more useful, interesting, and fun to play with. At the heart of all the goodness is the Seamoth upgrade panel, which may be found on the port side of the hull.

This panel facilitates the installation of various new upgrades. For example, Vortex Torpedoes. The Seamoth may now be configured with up to four torpedo tubes, each of which can hold four torpedoes. The ordinance is non-lethal, and designed to trap a dangerous life-form in a vortex of swirling water long enough for our intrepid protagonist to escape, pass, or do whatever needs to be done in the area.

Vortex Torpedoes are effective against lone or closely clustered lifeforms. They’re not much use if your Seamoth is surrounded by predators. Enter the electromagnetic perimeter defense module. Activating this module sends a non-lethal burst of electromagnetic radiation into the surrounding water, scaring off all but the largest ocean predators. Be cautious though, every activation drains the Seamoth battery to a significant degree.

These defensive capabilities will come in handy when exploring deep-ocean cave systems. Finding such cave systems just got a whole lot easier, thanks to the Seamoth Sonar module. This module sends out a sonic pulse, and displays the returned echo as a three dimensional mesh on the Seamoth head-up-display.

The Seamoth is good for getting a diver from place to place. It can now move a diver’s stuff from place to place too! Storage modules may be installed to facilitate the carriage of supplies, equipment, and material.

Also available are hull re-reinforcement, battery expansion, solar array, and armour plating modules. All these modules allow the Seamoth to be configured for a wide variety of different missions. Going cave exploring? Pack food in a storage compartment, sonar, electromagnetic defense, and an extended battery. Searching for resources in an area with lots of hostile creatures? Load torpedoes, and fit empty storage compartments to carry the loot.

It gets better. Seamoths can now be customised using the new Upgrade Console. Install the console in a Moon Pool attachment point, and then use it to modify your Seamoth colour scheme and name.

A fancy, upgraded Seamoth will be a very useful companion for exploring the newly re-worked ‘Jellyshroom’ cave system. This striking network of caverns is teeming with life and exudes eeriness.

There’s so much more to the Seamoth Update than is contained in this post. Check out the Seamoth Update Site[unknownworlds.com] to see more goodies like birds, mountain ranges, and some really creepy new caves.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'm very excited for this update. I'm not too far in my current game and have been waiting for an update to restart. This sounds like just the ticket!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

OK, I don't want to sound negative.... but.... I feel that 'vortex torpedoes' sounds like a silly idea.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unagi wrote:OK, I don't want to sound negative.... but.... I feel that 'vortex torpedoes' sounds like a silly idea.
Wait till you see them in action. I just tried them and they are fun. The fish get caught up in a swirl and then get flung out of the way.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Unagi wrote:OK, I don't want to sound negative.... but.... I feel that 'vortex torpedoes' sounds like a silly idea.
Really? I think it sounds cool. No more silly than a single person being able to construct an undersea base and submarine all by himself (even if he has some sort of fancy fabricator!) :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'm looking forward to the sonar in the caves. Its hard to orient in the dark.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Of course they still haven't added Vsnyc to the options menu :roll:, so to enable it you still have to bring up the console window. Not a big deal, but then I wouldn't think that adding the Vsync option would be that hard either.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Grifman wrote:
Really? I think it sounds cool. No more silly than a single person being able to construct an undersea base and submarine all by himself (even if he has some sort of fancy fabricator!) :)
OK, well I'm over "crafting sillyness", clearly.

For starters, I wonder why not just make the torpedoes lethal... or perhaps stun the fish if "lethal" is off the table?

But more to the core of my issue: creating a vortex just doesn't seem to be the likely result of a torpedo delivery system. I know I am supposed to just sorta ignore science, and I'm normally cool with that in a game like this... but - I don't know... it just seems to lean toward a level of silly that I didn't want Subnautica to go too far with. It's like a 'Quick Sand Bazooka" or something of that ilk. There are games where I would welcome a 'Quick Sand Bazooka".... but there are other games where I'd find it a distraction because it's silly.

I haven't seen it in action (haven't been able to get that deep into the game) - so I don't feel I should argue this point too much, but - meh... Seems a little silly. :)

And all of you guys that are OK with it are Silly McBillies. :lol:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone playing? I purchased it on sale today. I used Xmas money so have to put that back in in DEC for the Wishmas trading :P

It says I can start a new game without thirst and hunger. Are they that bad that they needed to add an optional start without them? Do you still need to eat to regain health? Not sure which start to go with...Im guessing to keep the hunger and thirst in. How did you guys do it?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've played about twenty hours in it. You shouldn't skip the food and water requirements, they make the game more interesting. It might seem a bit tedious, but it motivates you to expand your research into better ways of preparing and storing food, which leads to other areas. It's definitely not a game you want to rush through. I might recommend that you wait till the game is complete; there is new content being added and it can be frustrating (as it was to me) to put in so many hours and then find that they have totally revamped some aspect of the game and you want to experience it, but now you have to restart a new campaign.

However, don't be discouraged, it's one of the better survival games out there because it takes advantage of the third dimension (depth). It's also very nice looking.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I think that option is as much due to the in development nature of the game as it is for people who just want to build.

I haven't been following the game much, even though I know I will buy it, but I have noticed they keep overhauling and fleshing out systems. The food and water stuff is probably going to get a major overhaul at some point, assuming it hasn't already and I missed it.