Age of Wonders 3

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Stuie

Re: Age of Wonders 3

Post by Stuie »

Isgrimnur wrote:Awful nice of them to put it up for sale today, no? :)
Game plus both expansions and the pre-order DLC for $40!! That's a steal.

I'll just pay full price for Eternal Lords and be happy regardless. :D
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Stuie wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Awful nice of them to put it up for sale today, no? :)
Game plus both expansions and the pre-order DLC for $40!! That's a steal.

I'll just pay full price for Eternal Lords and be happy regardless. :D
I'm very tempted by this, but am hesitant as the last two fantasy TBS games I bought (Endless Legend & Fallen Enchantress) didn't click with me at all. I just don't know that I have the time or patience to get into complex strategy games anymore.

Still, it looks awfully cool... :?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

AoW is the one that will click. Press the button. Succumb to your whim.

Seriously, though. AoW games are deep but easy to get into. And this is a steal.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

The new expansion seems very very good. I think that they have really improved on some of the pieces of the game and perhaps created one of the best 4x games on the market.

That being said, I only got an hour with it, so it could crash later I suppose. The AI has always been a tad lackluster and I haven't seen anything too different there. The choices you have, however, are amazing. I also really like the new Necromancer class! Not having your units naturally heal is something that requires some strategic thought.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Yeah, really digging the expansion so far as well.

In particular, all the new exploration sites are very cool as well as the way the necromancer class just modifies and corrupts whatever race you pick instead of being a race unto themselves. Also worthy of mention is the new system for getting rewarded for focusing on only one race... it gives some nice advantages if you focus on a couple races instead of just keeping foreign races intact for more troop diversity.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yeah me too, AOW3 always has that 'just one more turn' thing going on for me.
Black Lives Matter
Enough

Post by Enough »

After enjoying Endless Legend but never fully liking a few parts of it, I have succumbed to the Forum Effect (and Steam sale, heh) and got the whole AOW 3 shooting match, kit and caboodle. Another thing that pushed me over the edge was reading Co-Optimus Prime's reviews on it that made it sound like a potentially awesome co-op game even though you can't co-op the campaign. A good friend of mine got MS and we play strictly co-op games these days as he can't do well at twitch stuff anymore and I'm considering buying this for him while it's still on sale so we can co-op. Civ is our main game of choice for the last couple of years at least. Anyone have any thoughts on that plan, or co-op tips for AOW3?
Last edited by Enough on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
RMC

Post by RMC »

Enough wrote:After enjoying Endless Legend but never fully liking a few parts of it, I have succumbed to the Forum Effect (and Steam sale, heh) and got the whole AOW 3 shooting match, kit and caboodle. Another thing that pushed me over the edge was reading Co-Optimus Prime's reviews on it that made it sound like a potentially awesome co-op game even though you can't co-op the campaign. A good friend of mine got MS and we play strictly co-op games these days as he can't do well at twitch stuff anymore and I'm considering buying this for him while it's still on sale so we can co-op. Civ is our main game of choice for the last couple of years at lest. Anyone have any thoughts on that plan, or co-op tips for AOW3?
I have been playing PBEM with 2 friends. It is great, you get an email when it is your turn, and you just log into the game, and hit a few buttons, and it D/L's the turn, you take it and it uploads it. In realtime, it is okay, but the combats can be a little long if you don't make them auto resolve. And you can set-up teams, so Co-op is great for this game.

One other COOP game that you can play together is Dom 4, a great game that we play both a Coop, and PvP game here. We are getting ready to start a COOP Dom 4 game if you want to try it.

Or if you want to try out a Test PBEM AOW3 game, PM me, and we can play so you can see if you want to get it for your friend. :)

Both great games! I am not a twitch player anymore, and love these types of games.

And just to get one other decent coop game, Divine Divinity is a nice COOP RPG if you both like that. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

How is it for setting up scenarios? I suck at campaigns, but enjoyed that in HMM.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The wealth of options you have for custom games is pretty dang great. You also have a whole lot of scenarios that come with the game as well.

I just started the necro campaign last night, but I'll probably do what I did previously and just start a random map and have fun with it too.
Covfefe!
Jag

Post by Jag »

Enlarge Image
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Just got the expansion and started a new random game as a Tigran warlord this evening. Fun stuff.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I really need to revisit the original campaign. I got steamrolled a few times (I'd just start getting established and the AI would roll in with untouchable god-units and destroy everything I had) and took a break from it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Jaymann wrote:How is it for setting up scenarios? I suck at campaigns, but enjoyed that in HMM.
This video by Das24680 will give you an idea of all the variables you can throw into a custom map. A couple more have been added since then (he's playing the base game) such as the Unifier victory condition. I love the overview he provides and his description of the different types of games you will get depending on what you select. Good stuff.

For me, Age of Wonders has always been about the sandbox mode, not the campaigns. I don't think I've ever finished one of the campaigns...
Enough

Post by Enough »

RMC wrote:
Enough wrote:After enjoying Endless Legend but never fully liking a few parts of it, I have succumbed to the Forum Effect (and Steam sale, heh) and got the whole AOW 3 shooting match, kit and caboodle. Another thing that pushed me over the edge was reading Co-Optimus Prime's reviews on it that made it sound like a potentially awesome co-op game even though you can't co-op the campaign. A good friend of mine got MS and we play strictly co-op games these days as he can't do well at twitch stuff anymore and I'm considering buying this for him while it's still on sale so we can co-op. Civ is our main game of choice for the last couple of years at lest. Anyone have any thoughts on that plan, or co-op tips for AOW3?
I have been playing PBEM with 2 friends. It is great, you get an email when it is your turn, and you just log into the game, and hit a few buttons, and it D/L's the turn, you take it and it uploads it. In realtime, it is okay, but the combats can be a little long if you don't make them auto resolve. And you can set-up teams, so Co-op is great for this game.

One other COOP game that you can play together is Dom 4, a great game that we play both a Coop, and PvP game here. We are getting ready to start a COOP Dom 4 game if you want to try it.

Or if you want to try out a Test PBEM AOW3 game, PM me, and we can play so you can see if you want to get it for your friend. :)

Both great games! I am not a twitch player anymore, and love these types of games.

And just to get one other decent coop game, Divine Divinity is a nice COOP RPG if you both like that. :)
This was a really a helpful and detailed reply, thanks so much!
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Anyone want to try to convince me that I don't need to play Shadow Magic, now that this version is apparently better than when it first dropped (and at that time I read many comments saying that Shadow Magic was better for whatever reasons)?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Anyone want to try to convince me that I don't need to play Shadow Magic, now that this version is apparently better than when it first dropped (and at that time I read many comments saying that Shadow Magic was better for whatever reasons)?
You don't need to play Shadow Magic.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I got this on sale through Steam, and the developer's site keeps prompting me for a product key. WTF? I don't have a stinking product key. At least it allows me to play "offline." I doubt I want any "benefits" of online play.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Jaymann wrote:the developer's site keeps prompting me for a product key
Single player is all done in off-line mode. If you want to play other people in MP mode you'll need to use the Triumph MP server and you have to set up an account there to do that. I'm guessing that's what it's prompting you for. I've never messed any with MP. I just set it to the off-line guest account on day one and forgot about it. So if you want single player games, just set it to guest account and go.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Well, the AI certainly seems improved quite a lot in this latest version of the game. I'm playing a random map with the AI at Lord level and all AI set to be their own team and it's doing a really good job. It's highly aggressive and building stacks that actually make sense. I ran into a necro hero stack with two heroes and some nasty kinds of undead in it that was going straight for my nearest city. I intercepted with my weakest hero that was also a necro and lets just say that didn't work out too well for me. In the past I would have easily been able to win a fight like that so kudus to Triumph. Now I'll need to actually bring in my best hero to deal with them. Hopefully that goes somewhat better. :shock:
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I concur, the AI is very aggressive, even at Lord level. For a long time things were quiet in my game and I built up a nice necro army. But I was consistently missing out on the optional "achievement" quests (such as getting 7 cities or be the first to a Metropolis). The AI was much more efficient in its build up. I finally found a nearby dwarf dreadnought AI and steamrolled his city, thinking that the AI was lax and still too passive (although he declared war on me, not the other way around). Fooled me... he let me sit on that new city for a little bit and they did a surprise attack from a nearby underground entrance (that I missed) and massacred about 3 full stacks and two heroes (not to mention liberating his city). His stacks were also utilizing these horrifying cannons and fire tanks, which basically chewed through my ghoul army.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Wow, the PBEM feature works great! Is that new with the Eternal Lords expansion or was it always there?
"Some people say never...I just say no"
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

It's hard for me to judge the AI as I usually play half-drunk while watching Vikings The Series. But the AI seems aggressive and that often passes for strategic AI 'cause you're always thinking "What's he up too?"
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

For those of you (like me) who were hesitant on pulling the trigger during the Steam sale earlier this week, GOG.com has basically the same deal running today (through the weekend?).

- AOE3 base game: $13.59
- Golden Realms Expansion: $7.99
- Eternal Lords Expansion: $19.99
TOTAL: $41.57

After reading up on it this week, I think I'm going to give it a shot and hope it fares better than the other fantasy TBS I've tried lately.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

This latest expansion, added to the previous one, puts this game into the stratosphere in my book. I think it's the best 4X game out there right now. The replayability alone with the (excellent) RMG is off the charts. And then there's all the campaigns, including the new necro one. They're gushing about the expansion over at Quarter to Three and they tend to be picky types. With the current sales, now is definitely the time to get it if you're at all wavering. :D
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Man, that tutorial is just awful. Just finished it and there's so many things I'm completely baffled about.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

ColdSteel wrote:This latest expansion, added to the previous one, puts this game into the stratosphere in my book. I think it's the best 4X game out there right now. The replayability alone with the (excellent) RMG is off the charts. And then there's all the campaigns, including the new necro one. They're gushing about the expansion over at Quarter to Three and they tend to be picky types. With the current sales, now is definitely the time to get it if you're at all wavering. :D
I agree. This is what I think:

Age of Wonders 3 (with expansions) = Civ V (with expansions) > Endless Legends (but only by a little) > Star Drive II > Star Ruler 2 > SM Beyond Earth
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Add about 4 more blank spots between SM Beyond Earth and any other game and you're talking.

My necro campaign just ended in an embarrassing defeat at the hands of one of the other necro leaders in the first damn mission/scenario.

Sigh...back to the drawing board.
Covfefe!
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Wow, I just had an unusual cosmic event occur in my current game. A high level archdruid loaded with high level equipment and an army of dire penguins is roaming the land. So far I've been attacked by 3 stacks of dire penguin armies but I haven't seen the main army with the druid as leader. I'm hoping he's on another continent bothering somebody else.

I managed to take out the goblin necromancer that was plaguing me fairly early on in the game. She had two cities (as did I) so I left her main stack alone, since she was at sea, and took both of her cities instead with some very,very tough sieges I barely won. After a few turns she surrendered and I now have her doing hard time as a port city governor. She was carrying some nice stuff so I divvied that up between my guys. In general I have learned that I do NOT like fighting necros. They are very tough. So now I have 4 cities (I'm playing without city founding turned on).

I'm getting nervous because I haven't run into any other AI players yet but I keep seeing notices about them completing Empire Quests. Which means they're ahead of me in development. However, I did just get the reward for being the first to get a tier IV unit. So I have a nice Manticore Rider Paragon now. Those things and Warbreeds are just plain wicked as Tigrans.
tgb

Post by tgb »

hepcat wrote:Folks were trying to convince you NOT to buy Pillars of Eternity based on your dislike of the Baldur Gate games and your expressed reluctance to add another game to your backlog.

...you lasted about 48 hours in spite of that.

Let's not play this charade again. Just grab it at noon. :lol:
You know me too well :D .

I got it Thursday, and have to say that this expansion elevates AoW to Civ IV + BtS levels of greatness. It's now overtaken Endless Legend as my favorite fantasy 4X game. It may not bring anything innovative to the genre like EL does, but it does all the standard stuff so well I can forgive that.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

tgb wrote:this expansion elevates AoW to Civ IV + BtS levels of greatness.
@#^%@!^&%$ I was hoping no one would do that. I will write this as much for myself as anyone...I WILL NOT PLAY THIS FOR WEEKS IF NOT MONTHS...NO NEED TO BUY NOW. JUST WAIT, YOU IMPETUOUS, FICKLE FOOL.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
tgb wrote:this expansion elevates AoW to Civ IV + BtS levels of greatness.
@#^%@!^&%$ I was hoping no one would do that. I will write this as much for myself as anyone...I WILL NOT PLAY THIS FOR WEEKS IF NOT MONTHS...NO NEED TO BUY NOW. JUST WAIT, YOU IMPETUOUS, FICKLE FOOL.
Yeah, this is basically where I'm at right now. I do play AoW3 sometimes, but it's not like I'm hooked and would give it the attention it deserves. That said, I probably pick it up soon regardless. /sigh
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Question about inventory:
I have multiple heroes in the same group. Is there any way I can pass items between them?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Jaymann wrote:Question about inventory:
I have multiple heroes in the same group. Is there any way I can pass items between them?
Yes, when you click on an item in your inventory (or that's equipped) there are some icons that pop up on the lower right of the inventory screen. One of those will put the item on the ground and then you can switch heroes and pick it up. Another icon there will "mail" the item to a hero that's not in your stack. The further away they are, the longer it takes it to arrive.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That's pretty funny, you can't hand it to your ally, but you can throw it on the ground, "You pick it up!"
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
RMC

Post by RMC »

Think I am seeing some bugs with the new places. One of them gives units that 'kill' a unit life steal, but none of my units that killed the enemy got this benefit.

Not sure if only the units that are defending the place get the benefit, but usually it states that only defending units get the benefit in this case it just says units.

Also, some of the powers for the necromancer seem to have some flakiness to them. I have not played the necro too much, I am more the good guy rather than the undead guy in these games, but I have played a little.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Jag

Post by Jag »

RMC wrote:Think I am seeing some bugs with the new places. One of them gives units that 'kill' a unit life steal, but none of my units that killed the enemy got this benefit.
Are your units undead? I don't know if life steal would work with them.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

RMC wrote:Think I am seeing some bugs with the new places. One of them gives units that 'kill' a unit life steal, but none of my units that killed the enemy got this benefit.
If it's described in an icon on the upper left in the tactical battle screen, this is the battle effect for that particular location and it applies only to the defending units. However, there is a location that gives all your units the life steal ability but only for your next battle. You get it after capturing the location and it takes 6 turns or so to recharge.

The only glitch I've seen so far is my manticore riders are supposed to get +6 regen at veteran rank but it seems to stop working when they hit elite. I don't think that's working as intended.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Jag wrote:
Are your units undead? I don't know if life steal would work with them.
It does, and it is one of the few ways that undead units can heal.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, I keep trying to go back to this. I've tried the campaign three times since it was released (with a few months between tries), and the same thing happened every single time: I'd get myself established, research a couple of upgrades while exploring nearby, gather up enough units to make one army to advance, and as soon as I did, I'd get steamrolled. The AI would come in and wipe out everything I had with a huge stack of untouchable units (I seem to remember a steam tank of some sort.) I'd lose the campaign in four or five turns at that point.

What am I doing wrong?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)