Kerbal Space Program

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: Kerbal Space Program

Post by coopasonic »

AWS260 wrote:
coopasonic wrote:My biggest hurdle at this point is my next step is the moon and I don't have maneuver points (I don't remember what they are really called, but I can't click my flight path and set a maneuver to intercept the Mun). Yeah, I can do it without, hitting the gas as the Mun comes over the horizon and watching for the intercept real time. That's fun for Mun, but I really hope I have it back before I have to go beyond.
I like to use the Protractor mod for this. It doesn't do any flying for you, it just tells you when to launch and when to do your orbital burn in order to reach another moon/planet.

There's also Oleg's illustrated calculator, if you just want to eyeball it.
Yes, I've used protractor for figuring out when to go on long rides. I just asked google and i need to upgrade the tracking station to unlock manuever nodes. (The tooltip says it shows phasic conics... apparently that means maneuver nodes).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

AWS260 wrote:p.s. The cheat menu is Alt-F12, then hold down the Alt key for additional options (I haven't checked to see if this still works in 1.0). You can use it to give yourself extra funds/science without having to exit the game to hack a save file.
Thanks for posting this. I probably saw it mentioned a long time ago but completely forgot it was there.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Yesterday, I booted this up for the first time since I bought it. I like the new Career mode! I became bored with the sandbox nature of the game when I first played it but having real goals to work towards makes all the difference for me. It also means that I'm not overwhelmed by components that I don't understand and don't have to run to online tutorials just to make progress.
Montag

Post by Montag »

It can be a great challenge to try to nail 6+ contracts in one go.
words
Montag

Post by Montag »

Squad admits re-entry is bugged. You can trigger parachutes high up - say 45k and prevent re-entry death. You can also put goo, batteries, temp probes and the like inside the bay - it is supposed to shield the instruments from heat.

Upgrading the tracking station - right click on it. It is not that expensive to get patched conics.
words
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Montag wrote:Squad admits re-entry is bugged. You can trigger parachutes high up - say 45k and prevent re-entry death. You can also put goo, batteries, temp probes and the like inside the bay - it is supposed to shield the instruments from heat.

Upgrading the tracking station - right click on it. It is not that expensive to get patched conics.
There was another building that needed upgrading too, IIRC, before you can add maneuvers.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Alefroth wrote:
Montag wrote:Squad admits re-entry is bugged. You can trigger parachutes high up - say 45k and prevent re-entry death. You can also put goo, batteries, temp probes and the like inside the bay - it is supposed to shield the instruments from heat.

There was another building that needed upgrading too, IIRC, before you can add maneuvers.
Yeah, the one where you get the missions/jobs/whatever. You have to upgrade that pretty quick to increase your capacity for work anyway.

I got it the maneuver nodes unlocked last night and managed a Munar flyby. I didn't have enough fuel to land, but I brought back enough science for a couple more 90 point unlocks. Next I need to get the upgrade that lets you buy the higher level tech tree unlocks. Money is tight. I guess I need to do some more tourist missions. A Munar flyby with 3 passengers will net me about 400k. I'd really like to get to something bigger than a 1 man capsule. You can only stack capsules so high you know. :P At least I have fuel lines now.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Just attempted my first tourist contract. Only requirement was sub-orbital and return safely. I got them to the point where the nav ball says orbit and safely landed (in the water), but it didn't complete. Are there specific parameters for sub-orbital?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Alefroth wrote:Just attempted my first tourist contract. Only requirement was sub-orbital and return safely. I got them to the point where the nav ball says orbit and safely landed (in the water), but it didn't complete. Are there specific parameters for sub-orbital?
For sub-orbital I think it flips when you hit space.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Alefroth wrote:Just attempted my first tourist contract. Only requirement was sub-orbital and return safely. I got them to the point where the nav ball says orbit and safely landed (in the water), but it didn't complete. Are there specific parameters for sub-orbital?
I think I've noticed it flagging it as complete somewhere around 90km.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Thanks. Yeah, I wasn't near high enough I guess.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Wow, been really wanting to try the latest update. But now I can't even run the game. I get as far as the loading screen, the bar fills up then crashes to desktop, no error screen. I've had problems with it in the past, but nothing that prevented me from actually playing. :|

Verified the integrity of the cache, that failed and so I deleted the local content and I'm currently re-downloading the entire game. And that didn't fix the problem. *sigh*

Managed to get it to work by deleting the local contend and folder. Something about the fact I hadn't played in quite some time meant that whatever I had there wasn't quite compatible with the newest version, so once I did that it was all good. And then it crashed right after creating a new profile.
Last edited by Rumpy on Fri May 01, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Rumpy wrote:Wow, been really wanting to try the latest update. But now I can't even run the game. I get as far as the loading screen, the bar fills up then crashes to desktop, no error screen. I've had problems with it in the past, but nothing that prevented me from actually playing. :|

Verified the integrity of the cache, that failed and so I deleted the local content and I'm currently re-downloading the entire game. And that didn't fix the problem. *sigh*
That stinks. All I can think of is to manually deleted the KSP folder under \steam\steamapps\common, in case Steam's "Delete local content" wasn't getting everything.

Squad has a pretty robust support forum -- probably worth trying.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, initially letting Steam delete it was leaving too much behind and it didn't help, so I deleted everything and tried again. It worked. There had been too much that changed between the version I had, making it bug out, I'm guessing.

And err, scratch that. It's back to crashing like it did.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ok, finally got this to work. It was difficult to diagnose since I wasn't getting any error messages, so I've basically had to fiddle around with the settings and it was pretty much trial-and-error. I also didn't realize there was a launcher menu that could be accessed from within the Steam directory, useful because I couldn't get far enough into loading the game to get to the settings.

Basically, the issue was that I had the texture settings set too high. I had it set at full-res, and dropped it down to half-res and the game runs.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm liking the new fairings, they add a whole new level of crazy to my designs:

UPDATE: Changed to my actual planned moon lander.

This is what it looks like under the fairing:

And the complete command and lander in space. The blue and white striped component is the separator:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I took 4 tourists to Mun and when i got back to earth learned the two parachutes I had to landing weren't enough. It was too late to revert so now I have them orbiting Kerbin until I can come up with a way to bring the ship down. Any thoughts on how to bring down a basic command pod attached to a hitchhiker module by a rockomax adapter? I'm all ears. On the plus side, I have about 10 game years to come up with a solution... That mission is worth about 400k to me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've gotten myself into rather a pickle. I sent my "just like Apollo" mission to the Mun. All went well until the lander tumbled on hitting the ground. So, two Kerbinauts stuck on Mun. Got the one in Mun orbit back to Kerbin!

Sent a rescue mission with one pilot in the three man (Kerman?) craft. Pilot transferred to lander ok, got down on surface, rescued one of the stranded crew, as it's only a two crew landing can. Got back into Mun orbit but since there is now no one in the command module to fly it to the in-orbit lander, the lander is now stuck in Mun orbit. So, for those counting, that's one on the surface, two in orbit.

Second rescue mission now on the way!
Rip

Post by Rip »

coopasonic wrote:I took 4 tourists to Mun and when i got back to earth learned the two parachutes I had to landing weren't enough. It was too late to revert so now I have them orbiting Kerbin until I can come up with a way to bring the ship down. Any thoughts on how to bring down a basic command pod attached to a hitchhiker module by a rockomax adapter? I'm all ears. On the plus side, I have about 10 game years to come up with a solution... That mission is worth about 400k to me.
I would imagine send up another flight with extra seats, xfer everyone and land that. Leave the unit without enough parachutes in a decaying orbit unless you want debris to clean up later.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Rip wrote:
coopasonic wrote:I took 4 tourists to Mun and when i got back to earth learned the two parachutes I had to landing weren't enough. It was too late to revert so now I have them orbiting Kerbin until I can come up with a way to bring the ship down. Any thoughts on how to bring down a basic command pod attached to a hitchhiker module by a rockomax adapter? I'm all ears. On the plus side, I have about 10 game years to come up with a solution... That mission is worth about 400k to me.
I would imagine send up another flight with extra seats, xfer everyone and land that. Leave the unit without enough parachutes in a decaying orbit unless you want debris to clean up later.
Oh, I forgot to mention, tourists can't EVA. :doh:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

coopasonic wrote:
Rip wrote:
Oh, I forgot to mention, tourists can't EVA. :doh:

Crap, I didn't know that. That sucks. I suppose that mod that let's you move people and stuff around between docked vessels without EVAing is going to end up back on my mod list. Right now waiting for Mechjeb to get a patched to support the latest KSP patch.

It would appear they fixed the early parachute deployment issue I had heard about, Tried to deploy at 30K feet or so last nigh and ripped the chutes right of. Had to revert back to launch and fly it all over again. Did I mention how much I miss mechjeb?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Can anyone speak to whether the tutorials are any better?

I really don't do well following guides on teh interwebs to begin learning a game. I'd rather have a decent tutorial, with great tool-tips, etc.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Rip wrote: Crap, I didn't know that. That sucks. I suppose that mod that let's you move people and stuff around between docked vessels without EVAing is going to end up back on my mod list. Right now waiting for Mechjeb to get a patched to support the latest KSP patch.

It would appear they fixed the early parachute deployment issue I had heard about, Tried to deploy at 30K feet or so last nigh and ripped the chutes right of. Had to revert back to launch and fly it all over again. Did I mention how much I miss mechjeb?
It looks like MechJeb has already been updated for KSP 1.0.0. Latest version was upload 4/27.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Holman wrote:It looks like MechJeb has already been updated for KSP 1.0.0. Latest version was upload 4/27.
Yup, Mechjeb has been updated, I've been using it since it was updated for the retail release. You can use it on KSP 1.0.2 even though you get that caution message when you start up the program, nothing in the two little updates have broken Mechjeb as far as I can tell. Also, if you want the latest Mechjeb release, you can go to the dev builds page.
Rip

Post by Rip »

jztemple2 wrote:
Holman wrote:It looks like MechJeb has already been updated for KSP 1.0.0. Latest version was upload 4/27.
Yup, Mechjeb has been updated, I've been using it since it was updated for the retail release. You can use it on KSP 1.0.2 even though you get that caution message when you start up the program, nothing in the two little updates have broken Mechjeb as far as I can tell. Also, if you want the latest Mechjeb release, you can go to the dev builds page.

OK, got the impression it wouldn't work wit 1.0.2

Good to know, I got concerned when I read about people having ascent problems. I can fly but I do so inefficiently. I prefer just letting Mechjeb do it. Never tried getting it to fly space planes though. Might have to give that a whirl. I also am more of a rocket guy.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Get the Kerbal Inventory System mod (KIS) - It (in theory) should let you add small parts to the outside of your craft. I think you could get a Kerbal up there, and with that inventory system, give him a couple parachutes and a wrench and your tourists should survive?

Just an idea to Mr All Ears. :D
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I want to solve it without going to extreme measures, like installing mods that change the gameplay. I do like the idea though. Having another ship rendezvous to install another parachute sounds like a totally plausible idea. Of course, having tourists be able to EVA also seems plausible. :P

Does anyone know if the "grabber" that is used for asteroid capture can be used on ships?

My other thought is to use some kind of cradle on a much larger ship to encircle it and bring it down. safely, but that sounds kinda tricky.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

coopasonic wrote:My other thought is to use some kind of cradle on a much larger ship to encircle it and bring it down. safely, but that sounds kinda tricky.
LOL. No, really - go for that. :D
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Does the stranded ship have an engine and a fuel tank?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Unagi wrote:Does the stranded ship have an engine and a fuel tank?
I don't recall for sure, but I think they've been dropped by now.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

coopasonic wrote:I want to solve it without going to extreme measures, like installing mods that change the gameplay. I do like the idea though. Having another ship rendezvous to install another parachute sounds like a totally plausible idea. Of course, having tourists be able to EVA also seems plausible. :P

Does anyone know if the "grabber" that is used for asteroid capture can be used on ships?

My other thought is to use some kind of cradle on a much larger ship to encircle it and bring it down. safely, but that sounds kinda tricky.

I've done that back before the heat and such were in. I get the feeling that it wouldn't survive now though.

Without a docking port things are pretty hairy.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I have my doubts that a docking port connection would survive re-entry. It's pretty freaking violent now. I should probably just give it up but I have to try.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

coopasonic wrote:I have my doubts that a docking port connection would survive re-entry. It's pretty freaking violent now. I should probably just give it up but I have to try.
If you use the Ship Manifest mod you can move people around between docked vessels. Build a space station and move them onto that and send up another ship to ferry them back.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

coopasonic wrote:I want to solve it without going to extreme measures, like installing mods that change the gameplay. I do like the idea though. Having another ship rendezvous to install another parachute sounds like a totally plausible idea. Of course, having tourists be able to EVA also seems plausible. :P

You should be able to capture it with the grabber. Make a small remotely-guided grabber drone with parachutes, grab the stranded ship from the top, ride it back down, pop the parachutes (maybe using drogues first to avoid a big jerk)... it could work.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It wasn't pretty but I accidentally bumped into it with the grabber armed and decided to bring it down as it was... and it worked!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =437654451

I need to see if I can remap the F12 so it doesn't activate that overlay. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Nice thing that KSP does now is tell me that there is an update to a mod I'm running, in this case Docking Port Alignment. I got the latest version of that, which fixed a toolbar problem it had, and the latest dev build of Mechjeb which has fixed some problems with AoA of taller rockets. It still needs some manual tweaking of the ascent curve, but it's better than before.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

coopasonic wrote:It wasn't pretty but I accidentally bumped into it with the grabber armed and decided to bring it down as it was... and it worked!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =437654451

I need to see if I can remap the F12 so it doesn't activate that overlay. :P
That picture is so Kerbal.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Update on my lost in space Kerbals. I sent Liselle as solo crew in a three Kerbal ship to go rescue the two crew stuck in orbit around Mun in a lander with no fuel/oxidizer and little RCS. She successfully reached Mun and orbited, then changed plane and did a Hohmann maneuver to rendezvous with the lander and rescued the two crew and return to Kerbin. On her next flight she returned to Mun and rescued the stranded Valentina on the surface. Not bad for a newbie pilot!

Having landed Kerbals on another body I decided to start doing unmanned (err, unKerballed :D) landings on all the planets and moons with this:

That's the lander and upper stage. I tried to design my rocket so that the upper stage would arrive at the destination as full of propellant as possible.

Here's the lander on Duna. I've already reached Mum and Minmus.

The latest Mechjeb is just chock full of tools to help planet to planet transfer. I'm just not really very understanding of how to use some of them :roll:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Is there a mod that allows me to set the solar (err, Kerbol?) system model to a particular time? In other words, pick a certain year, day, hour and the mod would advance the position of all the bodies in the system to the appropriate location for that time? I can always warp ahead of course, I was just wondering if there was a way to just enter a date and time and just ahead to that time.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

jztemple2 wrote:Image
This is the weapon of a Kerbal. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age.