Grand Theft Auto V - Finally On The PC

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Grand Theft Auto V - Finally On The PC

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm on an i7, using an ATI 7850 w/ 2GB of RAM. Running Windows 7 with 6 GB of RAM @ 1680x1050. The computer was built in 2010 and other than the video card, nothing has been changed or overclocked (do people still do that?). I bumped the textures to high and lowered population density, shadowing and a few other minor things. It runs like greased lightning while not connected to MP.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

I'm running an i5 with 16 GB and 2 - GTX970's in SLI and it is just sweet. I'm going to grab the Crylighting mod tonight and see how it looks.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Haven't played in almost a week. I'm going to be 90 levels behind Cheeba at this point. :)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Was just coming here to see where you've been, Octavious! I think I'm like level 65 now. I also got me one of these!
Enlarge Image
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Super busy. Can't get online tonight either. Stupid releases at work.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

My rig is 2700K I7 with 16GB RAM and 780GTX. Monitor is 1920x1200 or sometimes I play 1920x1080 on the nearby TV. So, it sounds like it will work pretty decent based on all of your feedback. My temptation is even higher now that it looks to rain for the next few days and may even snow on Sunday...

Oh - and thanks to everybody for the feedback on my questions.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Cylus Maxii wrote:... and may even snow on Sunday...
Snow? In Denver? In May? How unlikely :wink:. I went to school at Adams State College in Alamosa. Being from Florida I wasn't prepared when on my first night there, about mid-September, it went down to freezing overnight :shock:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Cylus Maxii wrote:My rig is 2700K I7 with 16GB RAM and 780GTX. Monitor is 1920x1200 or sometimes I play 1920x1080 on the nearby TV. So, it sounds like it will work pretty decent based on all of your feedback. My temptation is even higher now that it looks to rain for the next few days and may even snow on Sunday...

Oh - and thanks to everybody for the feedback on my questions.
You should be fine. That's better than my computer.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still no monster truck. Not sure why it isn't respawning. Makes me wonder where I parked it haha.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Trevor...holy crap. He is disgusting to look at but wow the fun. He says some truly funny stuff . I just went from defending my meth lab wit ha guy who looks like Heisenberg to redneck rampage where I killed 25 rednecks. Lol.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh damn Trevor's bail missions dont show way points. I thought I was hosed until I realized I could look at an online map hahah.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Hunting down the bail jumpers is a fun part of the game. Forced me to really explore the map.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I gave Trevor a horseshoe mustache and a mullet.....wish I could get rid of that bald spot. Also covered him in tattoos. Now he looks more right hahaha. That guy in unpredictable. Im glad I dont know anyone like him. I keep worrying about Michael the whole time I play Trevor lol. I also wonder if the other guy will get out of jail. Im guessing he's in the local prison. The one I stop in and steal cars from :)
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I bought Trevor some nice clothes but the bastard always takes them off when I log back in. I did his truck up in a nice white with bull bars and roll bars and shiny lights and an annoying horn just to annoy people.

I would love a limited edition GTA V with a Trevor statue.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still no monster truck. Cant figure that out.
Frost

Post by Frost »

Daehawk wrote:Still no monster truck. Cant figure that out.

It sounds like it doesn't respawn, or at least not at a speedy rate. You'll probably find it one day when you're not looking for it, maybe while flying around in a helicopter or plane or something.
Some MoFo's are always trying to ice skate uphill - Blade
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hope so I liked that truck.

I bought my first property yesterday..an airfield. I hope it makes some money on its own instead of me having to do all the missions.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Bought it. Downloading. Patiently (?) waiting..
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I posted about it bothering me before but now not having fast travel in single player is pissing me off. Its taking away the fun of the game. Other games have fast travel. All open world games should. Skyrim and Far Cry 4 come to mind. Its very handy and doesn't detract from the fun. Hell it makes it more fun. This game..like others without fast travel is getting to the point where I may sit it aside and never touch it again. I love this game. I have and am still having tons of fun with it....but the lack of FT is killing the fun.

Like now ....I spent about 2 hours real time just hunting and taking pics. But then when I got ready to leave I realized I had to drive ALL the way around the map to get home. So what happens?..I steal a car, cops chase me, cops kill me, and I spawn at the hospital a bit poorer. 12 times so far. I need a car so I steal it...i fail to ge taway...dead...hospital...loss of money...same fucking hospital in the same damn town!!!! Ive los tat least $9000 and I only had 12k after buying that airport!! I cant get away. I cant get home. Im NOT having fun anymore. I want FT damnit.

EDIT: I said F it and took a taxi. Costs me money but cheaper than that crazy hospital.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok how do you detonate sticky bombs? I put them on the trailers but shooting them seems contrary to the mission. Going to look it up but just in case.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Impotent Rage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been watching a lot of tv within the game. Im surprised by all the work they put into the shows in there. Im also surprised no groups have complained about them hehe. Maybe they just dont watch the tv in game.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote:Ok how do you detonate sticky bombs? I put them on the trailers but shooting them seems contrary to the mission. Going to look it up but just in case.
With the X360 controller it's the right side of the D pad. Not sure what it is on the keyboard, but you don't need to shoot to enjoy :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

On the keyboard it's G. And I don't get the complaint about fast travel. It's easy to elude the cops if you use frequent turns. If you just go down a highway then they'll have cops all along that road, but if you make frequent turns they'll lose you quickly, even if they have helicopters.

Personally I love just going for a drive. But then I'm mostly playing multiplayer and I have one of the fastest cars in the game.

Oh and sticky bombs detonate with G on the keyboard.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Anyone running this with a GTX 660 Ti 2GB? It looks like it should run okay if I don't go crazy high with the textures.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

cheeba wrote:Personally I love just going for a drive. But then I'm mostly playing multiplayer and I have one of the fastest cars in the game.
Some of the best fun I've had is riding a bicycle all over Los Santos and even to the north end of the island. You see a lot more on a bike.

For a different challenge, I will go on foot in Los Santos, attach sticky bombs to a number of cars, or propane tanks, or gas pumps, then set them off and try to escape the manhunt on foot. You really do find every little alley, ladder, staircase and hiding spot that way.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:Anyone running this with a GTX 660 Ti 2GB? It looks like it should run okay if I don't go crazy high with the textures.
I have a 560ti 1GB and everything is smooth and gorgeous at 1080p. Textures are set at normal, but a few things are set on high. The game is really well-optimized.

That being said, I haven't played in a week. I need to get back to it. Damn you life, damn you to hell.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

On the keyboard it's G. And I don't get the complaint about fast travel. It's easy to elude the cops if you use frequent turns. If you just go down a highway then they'll have cops all along that road, but if you make frequent turns they'll lose you quickly, even if they have helicopters.
I was way up north on the other side of the big blacked out area. Ocean on one side and mountain on the other and one long stretch of highway.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Daehawk wrote:I posted about it bothering me before but now not having fast travel in single player is pissing me off. Its taking away the fun of the game. Other games have fast travel. All open world games should. Skyrim and Far Cry 4 come to mind. Its very handy and doesn't detract from the fun. Hell it makes it more fun. This game..like others without fast travel is getting to the point where I may sit it aside and never touch it again. I love this game. I have and am still having tons of fun with it....but the lack of FT is killing the fun.

Like now ....I spent about 2 hours real time just hunting and taking pics. But then when I got ready to leave I realized I had to drive ALL the way around the map to get home. So what happens?..I steal a car, cops chase me, cops kill me, and I spawn at the hospital a bit poorer. 12 times so far. I need a car so I steal it...i fail to ge taway...dead...hospital...loss of money...same fucking hospital in the same damn town!!!! Ive los tat least $9000 and I only had 12k after buying that airport!! I cant get away. I cant get home. Im NOT having fun anymore. I want FT damnit.

EDIT: I said F it and took a taxi. Costs me money but cheaper than that crazy hospital.
Taxi is the fast travel for GTA 5.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Daehawk wrote:
I was way up north on the other side of the big blacked out area. Ocean on one side and mountain on the other and one long stretch of highway.
Except, not really. There are little roads that go all over that mountain. Steal a dirt bike and go along the beach, or right up the mountainside. It's not too hard to ditch the cops. I've done the same thing in Paleto Bay a number of times.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have yet to steal a big semi truck..thats on my to do list
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I decided to finally create my online character. I sat down and got started and was both overwhelmed and put off. Ive seen characters in videos that I wanted to take bits and pieces of their look from. But I cant seem to do that in character creation. I understand that the clothing items like leather jacket and fingerless gloves are probably obtained after creation somewhere. But I cant get the hair, beard, mouth or about anything like the ones I saw. Also the heritage part with the parents may be where my beginning trouble lies. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Here is a good pic of the character I want to take parts from. The one on the right with jacket and gloves. I think the hair is slicked back style but Im not sure what beard that is or the glasses. I thought they were aviators but out of the 3 versions of aviators in creation none look like those. I dont recall having a big selection of things in game so outside character creation Im not sure whats different in clothing and such in online play.

Any help with describing what all the right character there has? And is that black hair or a brown? In the end I want my guy to look like a greasy Italian style guy. Later I may suit him up nicely for mafia style look.

Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

gbasden wrote:There are little roads that go all over that mountain. Steal a dirt bike and go along the beach, or right up the mountainside.
Just watch those mountain passes. I was pedaling my way through a mountain range and a wrong turn took me off a cliff. Hello hospital.
Montag

Post by Montag »

The min requirements states Q6600 quad core. I have a 8500 Wolfdale dual core with a 7870 vid card and would run it 1680 x 1050. Any guesses / similar experiences to how I would fair?
words
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Still trying to get this to work. It craps out somewhere during the opening flashback sequence. I updated all my drivers before I even downloaded it and have double checked since.

Last night I told it to verify the game cache and it found 2 bad files. I told it to download them and went to bed. Hopefully it will work when I try it after work today.

EDIT: still no joy in this. It fails either as the garage door opens for the outside shootout, or when Trevor escapes and it hits the funeral scene.

I am now removing older version of C++ redistributables and re-installing the Rockstar launcher manually. I have also done a clean video driver install. Memory checks OK and I'm not having any other issues. Its frustrating

Note: I am also backing up everything in case I need to rebuild next weekend. I'd rather not..

EDIT #2: Motherboard BIOS updated, and found newer sound drivers for my HT Omega Claro. Now it seems to work. At least I got through that first act. I'm looking forward to getting in some play tonight. I've been working hard to get it going. lol
Frost

Post by Frost »

Cylus Maxii wrote:Still trying to get this to work. It craps out somewhere during the opening flashback sequence. I updated all my drivers before I even downloaded it and have double checked since.

Last night I told it to verify the game cache and it found 2 bad files. I told it to download them and went to bed. Hopefully it will work when I try it after work today.

EDIT: still no joy in this. It fails either as the garage door opens for the outside shootout, or when Trevor escapes and it hits the funeral scene.

I am now removing older version of C++ redistributables and re-installing the Rockstar launcher manually. I have also done a clean video driver install. Memory checks OK and I'm not having any other issues. Its frustrating

Note: I am also backing up everything in case I need to rebuild next weekend. I'd rather not..

EDIT #2: Motherboard BIOS updated, and found newer sound drivers for my HT Omega Claro. Now it seems to work. At least I got through that first act. I'm looking forward to getting in some play tonight. I've been working hard to get it going. lol
I'm a PC guy all the way, but this is why I can totally understand why some people, especially those who are not PC savvy, opt for the consoles. Glad to see you got it going.
Some MoFo's are always trying to ice skate uphill - Blade
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No idea how I have almost 12 hours in to this game -- time is just melting. 80% of that is in the SP campaign, but GTA online is pretty impressive. It's definitely quite an adjustment to come out of SP with leveled-up characters and then drop back down to someone that can't drive, run or shoot.

I was swimming off the pier (water and waves are unbelievable, btw) and someone put a sniper round through me. Didn't think my mental state was at the point where I could be targeted, though maybe jumping off the pier allowed me to be targeted for a bit. It sucked.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I should be back online tonight or tomorrow. What a crappy last 2 weeks arr.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So yeah, I'm jogging around the beach when two guys in an APC start tooling around the pier and shooting everything in sight. I try to escape but they're just mowing down everything with machine gun fire. I respawn and jump in a car thinking I can out run them. Well as I get closer to them they're partially visible and my car passes right through them. Ok, so they're clearly ghosts. I take off and completely leave them behind, except all of a sudden I'm floating in the air and my car drives off without me. They somehow arrive near me (along with police officers) and sure enough, they're partially visible guys, running around in SWAT gear. I take off running again and they're trying to mow me down in a police cruiser. I dive into the bay and start swimming towards a wave runner. I'm just about to board it but my guy just starts floating and struggling. It stops after a second and I'm able to get on the wave runner and take off. But magically some how one of them is on the back of the wave runner with me now and firing an RPG? I jump off, run to the street, hot-wire a car and take off. They're tied up with police and other players so I get away.

Some of it felt like my crappy DSL rubber-banding, but I couldn't help but think they were possible l33t haxx0rs, which I didn't think was possible . Anyway, f-ing weird when I all I want to do is jog around and build up my stamina. :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

People that are ghostly to you are in a different mode. You can set yourself to passive mode and no one can attack you and everyone else not in passive looks liek a ghost and you to them. Vice versa too..if you are in non passive mode..aka fighting mode...pvp mode...then passive players you cant touch look like ghosts.