A Town Called Zenda

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hentzau

Re: A Town Called Zenda

Post by hentzau »

For you, Remus, I'll make a raised table and put tunnels under all of the buildings so we can have the town destroyed just like at the end of Paint Your Wagon.

"Oh I, was bo-orn, under a wandering' star!"

(And now that I'm thinking about it, I really need a figure that looks like Ben Rumson from this movie...)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If you put that up at Octocon, I might just have to bring my Malifaux figs for a game. :wink:
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:If you put that up at Octocon, I might just have to bring my Malifaux figs for a game. :wink:
Feel free! I'll probably set up the table on Friday and have it up all weekend (space allowing.)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Just needs a name now...
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

For Consideration;

Church of the Evangelist at the Crossroads
Saint Sebastian's
Holy Church of the Repentant
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

So I think I'm going to make a sign for the church that says "Church of Calvary" and then have the Calvary crossed off and "Cavalry" written in its place.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Cavalry Hill

And see if you can throw a skull in there somewhere.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I could go for the "Mount Calvary" pun...
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'd suggest "Saint Winchester's," but there aren't enough Catholics in the Old West.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

In which building is Fairbanks Jr. holding the King? :mrgreen:

Looking at this feels like a replacement for Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, 'Cept trolley is a wagon filled with desperadoes. lol

In case you ever do something along the same vein in the future you might consider the cheaper alternative of card models http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/Bui ... llage.html You could even burn the town down then. :mrgreen:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I think the point is to have the physical buildings, enjoy painting it and glorify in the excess as the little dudes shoot each other.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

em2nought wrote:In which building is Fairbanks Jr. holding the King? :mrgreen:

Looking at this feels like a replacement for Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, 'Cept trolley is a wagon filled with desperadoes. lol

In case you ever do something along the same vein in the future you might consider the cheaper alternative of card models http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/Bui ... llage.html You could even burn the town down then. :mrgreen:
In my Zenda, I'm trying to decide if my Rupert is the leader of a band of Desperadoes, holed up in an abandoned mine someplace, or if he's the main gunslinger of Michael Elphburg, wealthy cattle rancher. Either case, he's got a couple of options to hide Mayor Rudolph away in when he is kidnapped.

And I've gone the paper building route. Used them exclusively for Warhammer and Mordheim. I have just fallen in love with these 4Ground buildings. It's cost me a pretty penny, but it's also gotten me back into miniatures gaming.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Layout for a game last night. Finally at the point where I don't need to use the plastic Ertl buildings any longer!

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That is very impressive work.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I didn't have room on my table to fit in my livery stable. #oldwestproblems
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

What's the time period? It's begging for a model train!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's beggin' for me to bring my Malifaux figs over for a game... :wub:
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:It's beggin' for me to bring my Malifaux figs over for a game... :wub:
Hep, if you want a set of my Ertl buildings they're yours. I have three sets currently.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Neat, thanks. I may just take you up on that. What's the scale? Are they all 1800's western? Malifaux is nice because it spans the american wild west, victorian london and gothic dungeons with the same ease.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:Neat, thanks. I may just take you up on that. What's the scale? Are they all 1800's western? Malifaux is nice because it spans the american wild west, victorian london and gothic dungeons with the same ease.
The Ertl buildings are about 1:64 scale, which is a little small for 28mm but works pretty well.

Here's a link to someones set with figs so you can see what they look like next to 28mm.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Cool. Next time we get a game day/night together, I'll see if I can't convince you to bring a set you want to dispense with!
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

coopasonic wrote:What's the time period? It's begging for a model train!
Missed your post, coop. Time period is that nebulous period that we call the Wild Wild West. So..call it 1840's-1900. And I've been waiting quite impatiently for 4Ground to release a Train Station. Sarissa has a train station that would require a bunch of finishing work to make look as good as the 4Ground stuff. But I do love the Sarissa Blacksmith Shop. I may have to make an exception and grab one of those for Zenda.

Here's a finished version of the shop.

hentzau

The Good, The Lead, and the Ugly, Scene 1

Post by hentzau »

The Stranger

The Stranger walked out of the saloon, following the McCurdy Brothers out into the street. The McCurdys had been drinking for the better part of the afternoon, and one could tell by the way they staggered down the street, singing at the top of their lungs and firing their pistols into the air. The McCurdys didn't notice The Stranger in the bar, being so involved with drinking and gambling. If they had, they might have noticed the trademark duster and badge under the duster that read "Pinkertons Detective Agency". And that he had been watching them for the better part of the afternoon.

The Stranger glanced around the deserted streets of Zenda...it was almost as if the town knew what was going to happen, and went into hiding. Making up his mind, he walked back into the bar, paused at his table to finally drink the shot of whiskey that was on his table, pulled his pistol from his holster, and opened fire through the windows of the bar at the McCurdys. However, since the window was not set so well (Zenda's glazier was a busy man and took a lot of shortcuts) the shot went wide and missed all of the brothers

Now the McCurdys, being in the state that they were in, did not take too kindly to being shot at. They all rushed towards the saloon, but soon after The Stranger ducked out the back door. Jeb McCurdy climbed up to the top of the roof of the general store, while Zeke ran around the corner of the saloon to the back and Buck staggered down the alleyway. The Stranger ducked through a hole in the fence behind the saloon, right as Jeb made it to the edge of the roof.

A hail of bullets followed, and soon, Jeb fell forward off of the roof, dead. The Stranger had been winged, but not badly.

As the brothers heard their Jeb cry out, adrenaline kicked in and the drunken fog seemed to lift from them, giving them purpose...avenge their brother's death! The Stranger could hear Zeke and Buck approaching, trying to surround him. He dashed forward into into the corner between the fence and the general store to await which brother would poke his head out first. Buck made it down to the end of the alley and got off a single shot, close to The Stranger's head and shaking him, but his resolve held. He aimed carefully, and despite the cover that Buck had, he soon joined his brother on boot hill.

Zeke rounded the corner to see The Stranger running across the yard behind the general store towards the alleyway where Buck lay dead. He squeezed off a quick shot that took out some splinters in the stairs, but had little effect on The Stranger. Crazed beyond care, Zeke ran out after The Stranger and shot at him, but both shots went wide, he was firing so quickly. The Stranger stood his ground and fired three shots at Zeke, wounding him twice. Zeke ran back to cover around the fence corner, seeking shelter and clutching his wounds, when he heard the sounds of hoofbeats tearing up the main street.

"You hear that, Stranger?" Zeke shouted out. "That's the rest of my gang, and they're coming here to see you get what's coming to you! You got nowhere to run, mister! You're going to be dead in a minute! Dead, I tell you!!!" There was no answer from The Stranger, though. No return fire, no sound at all. Cautiously Zeke poked his head around the corner of the fence, and found...no one. The Stranger was gone.

Donny McCurdy came thundering up on his horse, face like a storm, seeing the bodies of Jeb and Buck laying dead. They searched through Zenda for The Stranger, but never saw a sign of him. Based on what Zeke told him, he knew the Pinkertons were after him...and once they started on a case, they never stopped. But now, he knew they were after him, and he was ready. Let them come.
Last edited by hentzau on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

+1 for awesome craft and attention.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

-1 for lack of tumbleweed
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

coopasonic wrote:-1 for lack of tumbleweed
Actually, coop, you jest (I assume :) )but you have struck on something that I'm wrestling with. My ground cover and what it should look like.

Right now I'm just using a piece of textured vinyl. Works well for the streets. But I was trying to avoid having Zenda end up in the American southwest, in the middle of a godforsaken desert that it seems like every western town existed (at least in Hollywood.) I was going for more Montana or Wyoming for Zenda, and as such I want clearly defined dirt streets and roads but I want trees and backyards with grass as well. The only way that I can think of that I can get that effect to work is to build out actual terrain boards. I am contemplating trying to paint the vinyl, but I don't think that will hold up well. I like the flexibility of the vinyl mat...easy to transport, and I can change the layout however I want. If I go with terrain boards with defined streets, it looks way better, but is harder to transport and would be limited for setup.

Anybody ever try and paint a vinyl mat like this?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

This remains my favorite thread to check into. Love the work you've done, Hentzau.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Too long since an update. :ninja:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I have a brand spanking new hardware store at home right now. Unfortunately I'm in Orlando.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

hentzau wrote:I have a brand spanking new hardware store at home right now. Unfortunately I'm in Orlando.
So....a new building you COULD have posted pictures of but did not and an unspecified return date as to when we will see said potential post? You double suck. :P
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Ah Hem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Remus West wrote:Ah Hem.
How did you know that I was working on Beherens Dry Goods and Tailoring Shop?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I still think you should rent out your town to seppe and I for a game of Malifaux. :wink:
Covfefe!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

hentzau wrote:
Remus West wrote:Ah Hem.
How did you know that I was working on Beherens Dry Goods and Tailoring Shop?
I'm beginning to think you stopped posting pictures as punishment for missing the last two Octocons. As though missing them were not punishment enough for any transgression. :(
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Ok. I had time to get two crates built. How's that?

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

That is...............disappointing.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Actually, I thought the crates were pretty damned cool. They blow the homemade balsa crates I've made out of the water!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote:Actually, I thought the crates were pretty damned cool. They blow the homemade balsa crates I've made out of the water!
Don't get too excited, BH. They're still from a kit. Very little creative work went into them, other than creatively avoiding getting white glue on my fingers. :)

(But they do look pretty sweet, don't they?)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

All of the finished crates. I may get another set, these turned out so well.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Those are great. I could tell they were a kit, but they look fantastic, and the kit process has to be simpler than scratch building. I can't afford all the buildings (and have no room to keep them), but I may put some crates on my wish list.

/edit - and ooh,they have wagons! How is their shipping to Americaland?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)