Go Bernie!

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kraken

Go Bernie!

Post by Kraken »

NYT says Sanders is going to run. That'll inject some life into the D primaries. Nothing can withstand the Clinton machine, but maybe Bernie can compel a tune-up.
GreenGoo

Re: Go Bernie!

Post by GreenGoo »

Kraken wrote:Nothing can withstand the Clinton machine
Sorry to derail, but I read earlier today an opinion piece from Fox that hilariously attempted to tell me how Hillary is just about to fail, how she had used up all her political capital, how old she was, how her career left her alienated from America (which is completely different from every other politician who has ever become president).

The guy was trying so hard to explain why, despite all appearances, Hillary was going to falter any moment now.

I mean, anything is possible, but this attempt to spin the current situation reeked of desperation/rationalization.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It's a given that R media is going to take Hillary down with anything they've got, even when that's nothing. The D media are going to be more interesting. Some have bought into the party line and some haven't. Sanders can find a wedge there. Whether it's really a contest or not the media loves conflict, so Bernie will enjoy disproportionate support from those that haven't bought The Anointed One yet.

Meanwhile, D's will be happy to watch the R's pile onto Sanders instead of Clinton.

"Everybody knows" that Sanders doesn't have a chance, but just for yucks: What if 2016 gives us an election as polarized as the electorate, instead of the usual pair of centrists? Something like Sanders v Cruz would be epic.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

They won't - the R's reflexively throw a conniption at the thought of Hillary. Most don't even know Sanders.

I can't see Sanders having the money to run any kind of competitive campaign. He'll be good for some soundbites, but he needs a Sheldon Adelson or a Koch from the left, and all of those Angels are going to save for Hillary and the General Election.

Hillary, despite everything is not a bad candidate, it's just that she's a known quantity and press hates those, despite the wingnut drama it will bring.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

As pure political calculation, I'm sure Hillary wants a primary challenger. Actually running for the nomination looks better than having it handed to her, and she can count on Dem opponents being in it to shape her eventual agenda rather than to tear her apart.

Plus, for a clear frontrunner, the whole primary process is just free advertising.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I would vote for Bernie. Maybe he can parlay his run into a VP slot.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote:Whether it's really a contest or not
It won't be (even if I don't like a lot of what Bernie is trying to do). :(

At the very least I hope he shows the American people what a success Vermont has been with regards to "socialized medicine" compared to the ACA. It'd be nice for him to shine a spot light on the darkness of Federal Government and Wallstreet sleeping together and specific undo influence of lobbyists on Washington.

I don't particularly want him as president but I want his influence felt and out of the field of Rs and Ds presented to me, he is the only one I could vote for, even if I want something different than what he has to offer.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well, I hope he makes it all the way to the actual primaries (even though, as he said, billionaires aren't exactly flocking to his campaign). It feels refreshing to vote FOR someone instead of AGAINST, even if it's a futile act.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kraken wrote:Well, I hope he makes it all the way to the actual primaries (even though, as he said, billionaires aren't exactly flocking to his campaign). It feels refreshing to vote FOR someone instead of AGAINST, even if it's a futile act.
Yup. He could even influence our current President (hopefully) if he can get a good dialog going.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

I'm for Hillary, but I'm glad Senator Sanders is running. He's a great Senator and a strong voice on the left. He'll make the primary better and more substantive.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I'll have to wait to hear what he has to say, but I think he will be a good addition to the field. I could easily see myself voting for him in the primary if only my state mattered for primaries.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Taibbi weighs in:
Sanders genuinely, sincerely, does not care about optics. He is the rarest of Washington animals, a completely honest person. If he's motivated by anything other than a desire to use his influence to protect people who can't protect themselves, I've never seen it. Bernie Sanders is the kind of person who goes to bed at night thinking about how to increase the heating-oil aid program for the poor.

This is why his entrance into the 2016 presidential race is a great thing and not a mere footnote to the inevitable coronation of Hillary Clinton as the Democratic nominee. If the press is smart enough to grasp it, his entrance into the race makes for a profound storyline that could force all of us to ask some very uncomfortable questions.

Here's the thing: Sanders is a politician whose power base is derived almost entirely from the people of the state of Vermont, where he is personally known to a surprisingly enormous percentage of voters.

His chief opponents in the race to the White House, meanwhile, derive their power primarily from corporate and financial interests. That doesn't make them bad people or even bad candidates necessarily, but it's a fact that the Beltway-media cognoscenti who decide these things make access to money the primary factor in determining whether or not a presidential aspirant is "viable" or "credible."

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Great read. "Thus this whole question of "seriousness" – which will dominate coverage of the Sanders campaign – should really be read as a profound indictment of our political system, which is now so openly an oligarchy that any politician who doesn't have the blessing of the bosses is marginalized before he or she steps into the ring." Amen to that.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote:Great read. "Thus this whole question of "seriousness" – which will dominate coverage of the Sanders campaign – should really be read as a profound indictment of our political system, which is now so openly an oligarchy that any politician who doesn't have the blessing of the bosses is marginalized before he or she steps into the ring." Amen to that.
That's been an open secret from at least as long as I've been voting. The further you get away from local politics the less control "the people" really have and I think that starts with primaries in a two party system. Were they design of coporate bosses and unions? I don't know. I'm history stupid. I didn't even know "bosses" openly controlled primaries until I saw the PBS miniseries on the Roosevelts.

The Illuminati don't have to hide or make their agenda secret. That's where conspiracy theorists fail. They've been openly duking it out among themselves for at least a few generations.
PLW

Post by PLW »

LordMortis wrote:
Kraken wrote:Great read. "Thus this whole question of "seriousness" – which will dominate coverage of the Sanders campaign – should really be read as a profound indictment of our political system, which is now so openly an oligarchy that any politician who doesn't have the blessing of the bosses is marginalized before he or she steps into the ring." Amen to that.
That's been an open secret from at least as long as I've been voting. The further you get away from local politics the less control "the people" really have and I think that starts with primaries in a two party system. Were they design of coporate bosses and unions? I don't know. I'm history stupid. I didn't even know "bosses" openly controlled primaries until I saw the PBS miniseries on the Roosevelts.

The Illuminati don't have to hide or make their agenda secret. That's where conspiracy theorists fail. They've been openly duking it out among themselves for at least a few generations.
Compared with what? Before the primaries came along, the nominee was literally selected in a smoked-filled back room.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Hillary will win the nomination and she will lose to whatever sock puppet the Republicans choose. Then the US will continue marching towards disaster.

That being said. I would love to see Bernie Saunders win the nomination, although I am slightly more jaded since this president turned out to be a total tool.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hillary's support is a mile wide and an inch deep. When there was nobody else running she only polled 60%, indicating that 40% of Democrats want anybody else. If Sanders can lock up that 40% and peel away the most lukewarm of her 60%, he could make it a horserace.

Not that I think he will, but it's possible.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Kraken wrote:Hillary's support is a mile wide and an inch deep. When there was nobody else running she only polled 60%, indicating that 40% of Democrats want anybody else. If Sanders can lock up that 40% and peel away the most lukewarm of her 60%, he could make it a horserace.

Not that I think he will, but it's possible.
A horserace. :D

My money is on horseface.

:twisted:
tgb

Post by tgb »

Rip wrote:

Sarah Jessica Parker is running?

Assuming Sanders can get some traction, how long do you think it will be before the religious wackjobs on the right raise the most important issue?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Also he is 6 years older than Clinton.
Expect a lot of photos of HRC on the church house steps.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

CNN reports that he raised $1.5 million on Day One, more than any of the R candidates did. Average contribution was $43. Clinton campaign won't say how much they vacuumed up on their first day.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That reminds me. What sort of communist watch list will I get on if I donate to Bernie?

And how can I give Bernie money electronically without registering my contact information with him. Fucking Obama has been the source of never ending spam from every corner of the democratic party and beyond since 2007. Fucker. (thanx Obama)

And what happens if he bows out? Where does my money go? He can't go giving my money to Hillary can he?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

tgb wrote:
Rip wrote:

Sarah Jessica Parker is running?

Assuming Sanders can get some traction, how long do you think it will be before the religious wackjobs on the right raise the most important issue?
I love it. Hire him!

tgb

Post by tgb »

LordMortis wrote:That reminds me. What sort of communist watch list will I get on if I donate to Bernie?

And how can I give Bernie money electronically without registering my contact information with him. Fucking Obama has been the source of never ending spam from every corner of the democratic party and beyond since 2007. Fucker. (thanx Obama)

And what happens if he bows out? Where does my money go? He can't go giving my money to Hillary can he?

Think of it as Kickstarter.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Somehow I don't think Bernie and Hillary are going to end up as money-sharing BFFs when this is over. These are the rules. Basically, if he has anything left over after fighting the Clinton money machine he can keep it for future campaigns, donate it to the party, or give up to $5,000 to another candidate.

Looks like you can't donate online without giving an email address. I have a junk address that I use for such cases. And believe it or not, I'm thinking about making a donation. If I do it will be the first time I've ever given money to a candidate.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

donate it to the party
Nope.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

LordMortis wrote:
donate it to the party
Nope.
How about "donate it for a party", because who doesn't love a party, right? :dance:
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Biyobi wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
donate it to the party
Nope.
How about "donate it for a party", because who doesn't love a party, right? :dance:
I might be swayed there.

https://medium.com/@honeystaysuper/how- ... 1263608fff
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Drazzil wrote:Hillary will win the nomination and she will lose to whatever sock puppet the Republicans choose.
I seriously don't think the Republican primary can produce a candidate that's viable to the rest of America.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I have no idea what I am going to think about this yet because I have no idea what the bill says but

:pop:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/0 ... 1237093328

I don't think I've ever cared about primary debates before but this season I really want to see Sanders speak. He really is Dorothy in Oz and he has the ability to pull back the curtain like no one has before in my lifetime, even I don't think he can win.

He's more than the Obama beautiful talker that got me to sleep with him before doing the walk of shame. He seems to really walk the walk.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That's pretty ballsy, but I'm sure the bank perspective is: "Look at the cute monkey man with his silly little bills."
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

LordMortis wrote:And how can I give Bernie money electronically without registering my contact information with him. Fucking Obama has been the source of never ending spam from every corner of the democratic party and beyond since 2007. Fucker. (thanx Obama)
Me too. I will never again donate money to a candidate using an account registered with my primary email address.

After the Obama Experience I'll probably just never donate again at all.
Last edited by Exodor on Fri May 08, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Think of all the spam SuperPACs have to deal with!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

LordMortis wrote:I have no idea what I am going to think about this yet because I have no idea what the bill says but

:pop:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/0 ... 1237093328

I don't think I've ever cared about primary debates before but this season I really want to see Sanders speak. He really is Dorothy in Oz and he has the ability to pull back the curtain like no one has before in my lifetime, even I don't think he can win.

He's more than the Obama beautiful talker that got me to sleep with him before doing the walk of shame. He seems to really walk the walk.
Yeah Obama talked a good game didn't he?
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Bernie's 404 message
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Fireball wrote:I'm for Hillary, but I'm glad Senator Sanders is running. He's a great Senator and a strong voice on the left. He'll make the primary better and more substantive.
I'd love to hear your reasoning if you don't mind sharing.

I'd love to "burn" a vote on a more liberal candidate even if I know he won't win, unless he's hiding some crazy, single issue like "All banks must be abolished!" or something equally looney.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Unagi wrote:
Drazzil wrote:Hillary will win the nomination and she will lose to whatever sock puppet the Republicans choose.
I seriously don't think the Republican primary can produce a candidate that's viable to the rest of America.
Unfortunately, it's pretty much Ohio and Florida who will decide this election - as it has been since '96.

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Moliere wrote:Bernie's 404 message
:lol:

And with that he shows he's as 'in touch' as any of the other candidates. I know, it isn't a high bar.
Last edited by Alefroth on Tue May 26, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Alefroth wrote:
Moliere wrote:Bernie's 404 message
:lol:

And with that he shows he's 'in touch' as any of the other candidates. I know, it isn't a high bar.
I don't know why this 404 page cracks me up.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

10,000 in Wisconsin is the biggest crowd that any candidate has drawn in this cycle yet.