ECDMPWTFEYemen?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Defiant

Re: The End of Yemen?

Post by Defiant »

You could also have an assassination, provided they don't have Contessa.
Holman

Post by Holman »

"Coup" is short for "coup d'etat," which, if I'm not mistaken, is a play on "coup de main." A coup de main is a swift strike that accomplishes its goals in an instant with skillful precision. Street fighting and bloody struggle lasting days or weeks is by definition not a coup.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Like I said.
The Saudi Ambassador to the United States would not rule out the possibility of the Saudis creating their own nuclear bomb to counterbalance a nuclear-armed Iran in an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer on Thursday.

"This is not something we would discuss publicly," Ambassador Adel Al-Jubeir said on "The Situation Room." Later, when pressed, he said, "This is not something that I can comment on, nor would I comment on."

"But the kingdom of Saudi Arabia will take whatever measures are necessary in order to protect its security," he added. "There are two things over which we do not negotiate: Our faith and our security."

Al-Jubeir said, however, the details disclosed by the Obama administration to the Saudis about the developing nuclear deal with Iran were "positive."

"I can't say that we like it, because we don't know the details," he said. "The assurances we have received from the administration have been positive but we want to see the details before we can make a judgment."
http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/26/politics/ ... index.html

You have to read between the lines but it obviously something they would likely do if Iran does. I suspect the same could be said of Egypt.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A UN solution?
Ousted Yemeni President has called upon his allies, Shiite rebels whose power grab triggered a month-long Saudi-led offensive, to comply with a U.N. resolution which obligates them to withdraw from the cities they occupy.

Ali Abdullah Saleh issued his appeal on his Yemen TV network on Friday.

A combined force of Shiite rebels, known as Houthis, and army units loyal to Saleh took over the capital last fall and eventually forced the Western-backed president to flee the country. They have advanced deep into southern Yemen despite the airstrike campaign targeting them.

Referring to the Houthis by their alternative name, Ansar Allah, Saleh said, "I call upon Ansar Allah to accept the Security Council resolutions and implement them," in return for an end to the Saudi-led coalition offensive.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Saudis shoot down Scud:
Saudi Arabia shot down a Scud ballistic missile fired from Yemen early Saturday by forces loyal to Yemen’s Houthi rebels, according to a statement by the official Saudi news agency. It was the first time Yemeni factions had used the weapon in the conflict, which began more than two months ago.

The missile was fired from northern Yemen toward the city of Khamis Mushayt, in southwestern Saudi Arabia, and was intercepted by two Saudi Patriot missiles, the statement said. The city is near a Saudi Air Force base.
The firing of the missile on Saturday, which was part of a broader assault by the Houthis across the border, came a day after Saudi airstrikes in northern Yemen killed at least 50 people, according to Yemeni health officials.

The ability of the forces linked to the Houthis to launch the weapon undermined claims by the Saudis that they had destroyed the Houthis’ stocks of heavy and ballistic weapons with hundreds of airstrikes targeting military bases and weapons stores. And it raised questions about the aims of the Saudi offensive, which has failed to complete most of its original goals over the course of a war that has killed more than 2,000 people so far.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Holman wrote:"Coup" is short for "coup d'etat," which, if I'm not mistaken, is a play on "coup de main." A coup de main is a swift strike that accomplishes its goals in an instant with skillful precision. Street fighting and bloody struggle lasting days or weeks is by definition not a coup.
I always thought of coup d'état as a pun on coup de tête, since it is essentially a strike at the "head" of the state. In addition to your point above, coups typically involve factions internal to the existing government structure (the classic example would be a military coup that overthrows a civilian government), with one faction seizing control of the state from the faction currently in charge. If a government is overthrown by an outside faction, it is probably more properly described as a revolution rather than a coup, even if the transition is short and sharp. In either case, if the attempt to seize power doesn't result in either quick success or quick failure, you've likely got yourself a civil war.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

d'etat is French for state, as governing body. Vorret, tjg or Grund can correct me if I'm off.

USA is Etats-Unis d'Amerique.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

So the French can make puns, too?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote:d'etat is French for state, as governing body. Vorret, tjg or Grund can correct me if I'm off.

USA is Etats-Unis d'Amerique.
That is correct. "Coup" means "blow" and "état" means "state." The literal translation of "coup d'état" would be "blow of state" (or maybe "blow to the state"?) Fortunately, in English we just stole "coup d'état" wholesale, without bothering to translate the phrase. English is great that way -- we take what we want and make it our own, like linguistic buccaneers. :)

I've seen coup d'tête translated idiomatically as various phrases, such as "head shot", "head kick" or "head butt", depending on context. The literal translation would be "blow of head" (or "blow to the head"?) I guess.

Since coup d'état and coup d'tête have similar spelling and pronunciation, and since a coup d'état involves figuratively (and some times literally) lopping off the head of state, I've always thought of it in terms of a pun, but I doubt that it was originally intended as such. I simply meant that *I* think of it as a pun, not that it actually is one to anybody but me.
Rip

Post by Rip »

So Monical Lewinski was trying to launch a coup?

:lol:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm no linguist and I'm certainly not fluent in French, but d'etat is pronounce day-tah, whereas de tete is pronounced de (can't think of how to make this easily understood for the average english speaker. I hate the pronunciation symbols) tet (as in the first part of tetley tea). I guess they sound sorta similar but one has a definite "t" sound at the end while the other does not.

Because French and English are so closely related, a lot of literal, direct translations work. But because they aren't the same language, sometimes literal translations are not correct and you have to translation the meaning of the phrase. Which is why translator is a real job and not something that a speaker of 2 languages can automatically do easily and clearly.

Coup d'etat is one of those. A literal translation is very close, but not quite the exact meaning in French and English. So we all basically understand that coup d'etat means overthrowing the government (typically by military action, despite no reference to military in the words).

I think of coup as cut, but I have no confidence in my opinion (isn't couper "to cut"?). It could easily be "blow" as in "struck a blow". Coup in this case is a noun and not a verb, as Rip is trying to make it. :wink:

I am constantly doing the same thing as you, in that I either return to the etymology of a word because it's funny to me, or create my own meanings/interpretations/puns for words, so I certainly understand your desire to substitute one for the other.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rip wrote:So Monical Lewinski was trying to launch a coup?

:lol:
I guess that would have been a... coup de tarte? (I'm a bad person and I should feel bad...)

I know that coup d'état/coup de tête doesn't qualify as a proper pun, since they have neither identical pronunciation (they are similarish to my ear but not the same) nor spelling (again, similaresque to my eye but not the same). However, I have an established policy of not letting letting trivial things like proper grammar or facts get in the way of a good joke, or a bad pun. The problem is that unless you see language through the sort of autistic haze with which I am blessed, you will probably -- at best -- agree to disagree with me as to whether the joke or pun actually exists, regardless of whether it is good, bad or otherwise. The main thing, I suppose, is that we are amused, even if sometimes (OK, most times) I have to settle for that being a "royal" we. ;)

I should also point out that I'm breaking the definition of pun in the way of usage, since I'm not talking about substituting one phrase for the other in a sentence for allegedly humorous purposes. I'm just amused by a whimsical correlation between the accepted meaning of the one and a badly strained literal interpretation of the other. That qualifies as word play of a sort, but I don't know if there is a proper and specific term for it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Can we update the thread title to "The Etymology of 'Coup d'etat'"?
Black Lives Matter.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

El Guapo wrote:Can we update the thread title to "The Etymology of 'Coup d'etat'"?
My bad, sorry.

Saudi-led air strikes have killed at least 44 people in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, rebels say.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Can we update the thread title to "The Etymology of 'Coup d'etat'"?
My bad, sorry.

Saudi-led air strikes have killed at least 44 people in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, rebels say.
I usually just give him the middle finger when he gets uppity. Don't apologize. That just encourages him.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Oh, I'm not complaining (I was, after all, the first person to ask about the usage of 'coup') - on the contrary, I am amused and pleased.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

As long as we're on tangents, did I miss Max Peck's introduction somewhere? I'm kind of new here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Nope, he just hit the ground running. Hell, I think I may have even reported him as a convincing bot.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I just noticed that he joined in August 2005!

Anyway, welcome - I guess we finally created a comfortable enough environment to encourage posting!
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

El Guapo wrote:I just noticed that he joined in August 2005!

Anyway, welcome - I guess we finally created a comfortable enough environment to encourage posting!
I noticed that immediately and thought about giving him the usual congratulations for emerging from the shadows but...that's not really my thing.

It *is* always nice to get someone new posting though!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Well, I've already broken this thread, so I might as well use it to explain myself.

TLDR for everything below: Words. I like them. Every now and again, I use lots of them, usually with great ineptitude. Like I just did.

In the beginning the GoneGold.com site was shut down. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. I don't remember when I first started reading the GoneGold forums, but I'm pretty sure it was the first forum that I read regularly in my post-BBS period. I was mostly just a lurker there, with a low single-digit post count, but I liked the community.

In the post-GoneGold era, I eventually found some of the places where remnants of that community resettled (Octopus Overlords, Quarter to Three and Gaming Trend, for the most part) and those became my new go-to places of lurkage. I don't actually remember why I originally opened an account on OO, but about the only thing I did with it was suggest what ended up being the final version of the OO LotRO kinship, Eyes of the Watcher. (BTW, FWIW, EotW is still in existence although there are all of about 2 active members, both from the second wave of post-OO membership. But I digress -- and overuse acronyms -- as is the way of my people...) The years passed, I read many interesting things, and was content.

TLDR version of the next paragraph: I recently found myself with lots of free time.

A couple of years ago, I started to slide out of my well-established rut. It all started when my bureaucratic overlords rolled out yet another cringe-worthy "training" directive. I thought to myself "Self, screw this, I can't be bothered with this crap. What's the worst they can do, take away my birthday? Ha!" However, I am not normally given to acting on rash impulse, so I actually did take some time to contemplate the possible consequences. The worst case scenario that came to mind was termination (in the euphemistic sense) and entombment under an executive parking space, but that seemed a very remote probability and was therefore discounted. The most realistic worst case scenario worth considering was the non-euphemistic termination of my services. When I looked at the implications of that scenario, I discovered that I had sufficient resources to be financially self-sustaining for a period of, well, forever. This, in turn, led me to spend time considering whether I wanted to continue working, regardless of my employers' opinion on the matter. On the one hand, I enjoyed the actual work and liked most of the people with whom I worked. On the other hand, when I looked at my chain of command, there wasn't anyone left between me and the Queen who I really respected anymore. All I could see were executives who had spent years deliberately crafting a corporate culture that valued looking good over actually being good, and career-builders who had what it took to thrive in that environment. So I spent a few months contemplating my options, discussing the issue with friends and colleagues, and in due course submitted my letter of resignation in late 2013, becoming a professional slacker in early 2014. This gave me a lot more free time, and much less opportunity to "amuse" and/or annoy people with my inane ramblings.

One fine day in early 2015, I was reading the Elite: Dangerous thread on Quarter to Three and noticed a problem someone was having with the game. I knew how to fix the issue, but had no way to share that information, so I broke down and registered for an account. It took a couple or three weeks for it to be activated, by which time the original issue was moot, but once it was active I started to occasionally post things. Recently, though, I made the mistake of interacting with the proprietor of that fine establishment. I'll spare you the messy details, but the outcome was that he quite properly decided that I am stupid, disrespectful and disruptive while I quite unreasonably concluded that he is a petty child-tyrant with aspirations to malignant narcissism. As those of you with the patience to be still reading this may have already deduced, I'm not inclined to display unearned respect simply because someone is in a position of authority. This surly attitude may have led me to subtly mock his criticism of a third party in a thread unrelated to the one wherein the initial conflict occurred. Erm, I may have been using a little bit of hyperbole, sarcasm and possibly some irony just now (thanks to Alanis Morrisette, who the hell knows what is or isn't ironic anymore). The end game is that I am no longer able to post links to allegedly funny pictures there, and he is no longer receiving a trickle of ad banner revenue while I continue to read interesting things on his forum. The balance of life was restored.

Or was it? The next time I ran across a good "Walrusski" macro, how was I to share that joy with the world (or a small segment thereof)? I felt despair, and somewhere a certain website proprietor felt the warm glow of victory at having forever silenced me. But then I remembered that I had a long-dormant account here, and thought "Hey, self, OO has a thread for silly pictures!" and I hied myself here only to find I couldn't post things like URLs or words like "fuck" or "player" without triggering the spam filter. So, with a sincere intent to be respectful and stay on topic, I stepped into what I hoped was the shallow end of the pool and started to raise my post count toward whatever lofty threshold results in freedom from the heuristic muzzle.

I have, at least so far as I've noticed, managed to remain respectful. So far.
Last edited by Max Peck on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Getting back on topic, what we now call Yemen was part of what was once known as Arabia Felix, meaning Happy Arabia.

Currently, this is an example of what we refer to as Ancient Fricking History...
stessier

Post by stessier »

First time I've ever heard R&P described as the shallow end of the pool, but Welcome! :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Max Peck wrote:so I broke down and registered for an account. It took a couple or three weeks for it to be activated
I've been waiting...seven years? I don't remember any more, but I'm guessing there's a reasonable explanation. Welcome...back? It's always nice to read about people arrive to the OO shores.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Well, the contribution was shallow even if the pool was deep. It's what I do best. Well, no, lovingly crafted orthogonal frequency-division multiple access waveforms is probably what I do best, but the best I'm going to do *here* would be shallow, obtuse, hopelessly self-referential contributions to randomly selected threads.

The important thing is that writing that epic tale of woe and bad behaviour reminded me that I wanted to post that Walrusski picture, which I have done.

Mission Accomplished! <== It doesn't get much more R&P than that... :horse:

P.S. And thanks muchly for the welcomes.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ok, so now we should change the title to "The Etymology of Coup D'etat and Max Peck's Welcome Thread (featuring the End of Yemen)". :)
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's a bit wordy. You need to go full military industrial complex and turn it into a impenetrable acronym.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote:It's a bit wordy. You need to go full military industrial complex and turn it into a impenetrable acronym.
ECDMPWTFEY? Not sure whether to include the parenthesis part in the acronym.
Black Lives Matter.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Belated welcome.
I'll spare you the messy details, but the outcome was that he quite properly decided that I am stupid, disrespectful and disruptive while I quite unreasonably concluded that he is a petty child-tyrant with aspirations to malignant narcissism.
You will no doubt be pleased to learn you don't need to worry about that here. Instead of a Tyrant we have a Cabal and while petty no one would confuse any of us for a child. Most importantly I can assure you that none of us have any aspirations, malignant or otherwise.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:It's a bit wordy. You need to go full military industrial complex and turn it into a impenetrable acronym.
It would break up the WTF in the middle, so no parentheses. And we need to identify it from the category page, so I recommend ECDMPWTFEYemen.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote:
We should probably go the congressional route and come up with a cool acronym first and then stuff words into it.

I think something like USAMAXTHREAD.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
It would break up the WTF in the middle, so no parentheses. And we need to identify it from the category page, so I recommend ECDMPWTFEYemen.
Agreed.

I just noticed that you started this thread, so now that we have that settled, why don't you go ahead and take care of that.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
We should probably go the congressional route and come up with a cool acronym first and then stuff words into it.

I think something like USAMAXTHREAD.
We're not quite that silly. :snooty:
LordMortis

Re: ECDMPWTFEYemen?

Post by LordMortis »

It totally worked. Changing the thread name forced me to come in here to figure out ECDMP WTF was going on.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

#ECDMPWTFEYemen will be trending soon.
Black Lives Matter.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I am torn...

On the one hand, the thread title now includes the string 'TFEY' which grants implied authority to post pictures of Tina Fey, which is always a good thing.

On the other hand, I wanted to push for replacing 'Yemen' with something like 'TheFormerHappyArabia' but that would ruin the Tina Fey reference. Maybe 'YeOldeArabiaFelix' would work... ECDMPWTFEYOArabiaFelix?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

WTFEY is spectacular.

My inner voice pronounces that "WHAT THE FUCKEY"

Brilliant.

And to Max Peck (if that is your REAL name), pretty good writin' for a bot. Congrats on making it to shore. We normally start pelting rocks at any approaching dinghies from quite a ways out, which tells me you are either extraordinarily sneaky, or extraordinarily thick-skinned.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Welcome... I take it you're another French Canadian on board or you just know your way around the language?
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Vorret wrote:Welcome... I take it you're another French Canadian on board or you just know your way around the language?
No, I'm just an Anglo with a smattering of Franglais and an unhealthy fascination with words and language.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Max Peck wrote:
Vorret wrote:Welcome... I take it you're another French Canadian on board or you just know your way around the language?
No, I'm just an Anglo with a smattering of Franglais and an unhealthy fascination with words and language.
"Unhealthy" fascination?
Black Lives Matter.