Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Pyperkub

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by Pyperkub »

Seriously Alabama? Can you please join us in the 21st Century?

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The headline is funny, but the reality behind the situation is pretty sad - Shutdown of Homeland Security averted as Pelosi comes to rescue:
A partial government shutdown was narrowly avoided late Friday evening as House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) made a surprise move to back legislation funding the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for one week.

Pelosi’s support helped Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) move the one-week bill through the House in a 357-60 vote just after 10 p.m., with 55 Republicans and 5 Democrats voting against it. The Senate passed the one-week funding bill in a voice vote...

The complete inability of the GOP to actually govern (which tends to happen when your election platform is 100% anti-govenment) is turning out to be the defining characteristic of the GOP in the teens. When Peter King calls you out as delusional, you've got serious problems:

Republican Congressman Peter King said today that he’s incredibly frustrated with the “self-righteous, delusional” wing of his party ...

...He recalled when Republicans “enthusiastically followed Ted Cruz over the cliff” for last year’s shutdown, and lamented how many members of his party “live in an echo chamber” where everything is always “anti-Obama.” King even went so far to say that this fight over DHS funding may hurt the GOP’s chances in the next presidential election.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Do you not notice the one-sided conversation? :?:
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You don't count?
Covfefe!
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

1, 2, 3, 4........
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zekester wrote:Do you not notice the one-sided conversation? :?:
I thought the Star Wars reference was funny enough to put in.

Plus, I'm used to talking to myself :oops:

Holman

Post by Holman »

Zekester wrote:Do you not notice the one-sided conversation? :?:
Definitely agree that the 21stC GOP is defining itself as totally nuts with no help from Democrats.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

with rumors of Biden running, what was that again?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sad day when the only sane choices may just be Biden or Hillary. The GOP is so torn apart from within that I doubt they'll be able to field even moderate that might have a chance at taking the office.
Covfefe!
raydude

Post by raydude »

hepcat wrote:Sad day when the only sane choices may just be Biden or Hillary. The GOP is so torn apart from within that I doubt they'll be able to field even moderate that might have a chance at taking the office.
I have no qualms voting Republican or vice versa. I just want a reasonable person who believes in science and who believes government can still do good for the people.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

raydude wrote:I just want a reasonable person who believes in science
I looked it up in the Republican catalog and it seems those have been backordered since the Nixon administration and have no indications of being back in stock anytime soon.
Black Lives Matter
raydude

Post by raydude »

Jeff V wrote:
raydude wrote:I just want a reasonable person who believes in science
I looked it up in the Republican catalog and it seems those have been backordered since the Nixon administration and have no indications of being back in stock anytime soon.
Which is weird because I know a few Republican voters who like NASA.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I have qualms about voting for a republican president because of the supreme court lately. I can vote for a moderate republican in state contests, e.g. Ahnold over that idiot Angelides the democrats put up gov a few years back. Of course, it seems to difficult finding moderate republicans (or democrats) lately.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

raydude wrote: Which is weird because I know a few Republican voters who like NASA.
What's so weird about them liking the National Anti-Semitic Association? :P
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

As POTUS, Sen. Graham Vows U.S. Military Force Against Non-Compliant Congress
“…and here is the first thing I would do if I were President of the United States, I wouldn’t let Congress leave town until we fix this. I would literally use the military to keep them in if I had to.”
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

My heart sank a little once I realized that wasn't an onion article.
PLW

Post by PLW »

I worked for that man on the Hill one summer.
Rip

Post by Rip »

PLW wrote:I worked for that man on the Hill one summer.
Wsa the work "hard"?

:twisted:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

You know something's awry when Fox news has hit the point where it's telling the right to back off and settle down...

The radio this morning was playing clips from Fox News going off on the ignorance of the Duggars(?) in and interview with their minister and church protection and what to do with the inability of a family do right inside their own home.

There there's Chris Wallace going off on Santorum for telling the Pope to leave Climate Change to science (Well, uh, and Congress)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I see this site linked to constantly on FB by leftwing mouthpieces and no one else, so I have no idea how accurate it is but it still made me laugh.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/06/09 ... years-old/
Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote:I see this site linked to constantly on FB by leftwing mouthpieces and no one else, so I have no idea how accurate it is but it still made me laugh.

Noah also had sex with his daughters, but that might be more of a second-term agenda.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Holman wrote:
LordMortis wrote:I see this site linked to constantly on FB by leftwing mouthpieces and no one else, so I have no idea how accurate it is but it still made me laugh.

Noah also had sex with his daughters, but that might be more of a second-term agenda.
Actually, that was Lot the Democrat, not Noah the Republican, who slept with this daughters.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Holman

Post by Holman »

Oops. My mistake about the daughter-sleeping!

But Noah was obviously some kind of RINO. A true conservative would have ignored all that nonsense about climate change.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Holman wrote: But Noah was obviously some kind of RINO. A true conservative would have ignored all that nonsense about climate change.
Where's the LIKE button on this thing? :clap:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote:
Wsa the work "hard"?

What's the quote marks for? :?
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

hepcat wrote:
Rip wrote:
Wsa the work "hard"?

Really? Do you really not know? Do you really want to know?

If so, try doing a Google image search for the word "hard" and (without even bothering to test my hypothesis) I'm willing to bet the answer will "come" to you.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I fully understand juvenile sexual humor. I revel in it at times (although I hope more eloquently than you). What I was puzzled about was the context of its use by Rip. I wasn't aware that Sen. Graham was gay. Although I guess there's also the possibility that to some the term "working on the Hil" is a euphemism.
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

hepcat wrote:I fully understand juvenile sexual humor. I revel in it at times (although I hope more eloquently than you). What I was puzzled about was the context of its use by Rip. I wasn't aware that Sen. Graham was gay. Although I guess there's also the possibility that to some the term "working on the Hil" is a euphemism.
I apologize for my crude response. All I that I intended it to mean was that there as only one obvious -- and innately crude -- reason that springs to mind as to why he would use the quotation marks and that smiley in combination, and I honestly took your comment as puzzlement as to what he meant rather than why. It appears that I was mistaken, as I often am, as to the intent of your question, and may well be mistaken in my interpretation of his comment as well. I assumed that he was riffing on the long-standing "closeted gay social conservative politician" memes that have been common on the internet for many years (e.g. "wide stance" references) rather than implying anything about Senator Graham specifically, but I should know better than to make assumptions, or make an ill-conceived joke about an apparent joke in a serious political forum.

I'll try to behave more appropriately in the future, and speak only when spoken to in matters of such great weight. I'll also try to find out what "eloquently" means, and will make an effort at self-improvement. In context, I think it means your juvenile behaviour is more humorous than mine, but I could be mistaken. As we have established, I often make mistakes.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And I may have mistakenly taken your comment as being more abrasive than was intended, just as I think you mistook the tone of mine. No harm, no foul in any case.

Also, no need to apologize for crudeness around here. Especially in a thread with Rip.
Covfefe!
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote:
Rip wrote:
Wsa the work "hard"?

Because I am unable to make quote marks in the air as I say hard, when referring to you "working" for him on the hill.

We know what you were really doing.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote:I fully understand juvenile sexual humor. I revel in it at times (although I hope more eloquently than you). What I was puzzled about was the context of its use by Rip. I wasn't aware that Sen. Graham was gay. Although I guess there's also the possibility that to some the term "working on the Hil" is a euphemism.

Haven't you heard? He is a Bro with no Ho. :wink:
Holman

Post by Holman »

A Southern gentleman is either a Rhett or an Ashley, and Graham is definitely an Ashley. In my experience, though, neither one proves a sexuality.

Do insiders take the rumors seriously?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

hepcat wrote:And I may have mistakenly taken your comment as being more abrasive than was intended, just as I think you mistook the tone of mine. No harm, no foul in any case.

Also, no need to apologize for crudeness around here. Especially in a thread with Rip.
Fair enough, no hard feelings. On reflection, jumping into a thread relating to US domestic political identity with a glib drive-by joke was unwise at best. Not my country, not my parties, not my politicians and not my place to poke fun.

Cheers!

Rip

Post by Rip »

Max Peck wrote:
hepcat wrote:And I may have mistakenly taken your comment as being more abrasive than was intended, just as I think you mistook the tone of mine. No harm, no foul in any case.

Fair enough, no hard feelings. On reflection, jumping into a thread relating to US domestic political identity with a glib drive-by joke was unwise at best. Not my country, not my parties, not my politicians and not my place to poke fun.

Cheers!
If you apologize one more time I will take that as confirmation you are Canadian.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rip wrote:
Max Peck wrote:

Cheers!
If you apologize one more time I will take that as confirmation you are Canadian.
Sorry, eh?

Rip

Post by Rip »

:lol:

Crap now I want to go watch another episode of Murdoch Mysteries.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Is that any good? It's on Hulu plus and I've debated checking it out in the past.
Covfefe!
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote:Is that any good? It's on Hulu plus and I've debated checking it out in the past.

I am enjoying it. If you are a history buff and a little science geeky it is fun. Perhaps a little slow but the glimpses into people Like Tesla, Doyle, and Houdini are intriguing. I also love seeing people talk about discoveries that we no longer appreciate with amazement.

I find it so good I can even got over the fact that it is Canadian through and through.

Sometimes annoyingly so.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rip wrote:
hepcat wrote:Is that any good? It's on Hulu plus and I've debated checking it out in the past.
I am enjoying it. If you are a history buff and a little science geeky it is fun. Perhaps a little slow but the glimpses into people Like Tesla, Doyle, and Houdini are intriguing. I also love seeing people talk about discoveries that we no longer appreciate with amazement.

I find it so good I can even got over the fact that it is Canadian through and through.

Sometimes annoyingly so.
Hey, now.

I don't generally like police procedurals, so I haven't seen a lot of the show, but I think I know what you mean. I'm not sure I can quite put my finger on it, but to me it seems just a little too... clean. When someone review-bombs your show because in *one* episode a character said "goddam" then maybe you need a bit more grit. :)

There is, however, one aspect of the show which I find flawless:
Enlarge Image

P.S. There appears to be no thread which I cannot derail. Of all the superpowers to discover so late in life... Ah well, with great power comes great opportunity.