Don't Starve

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lyno

Re: Don't Starve

Post by Lyno »

Bad Demographic wrote:What's a box trap?
The rabbit traps.

-Lyno!
TazFTW

Post by TazFTW »

Rabbit traps trapped spiders?? Has that always been a thing?

My tactic was to get them to chase me to a pig village and I pick up the remnants of the battle.
Lyno

Post by Lyno »

TazFTW wrote:Rabbit traps trapped spiders?? Has that always been a thing?

My tactic was to get them to chase me to a pig village and I pick up the remnants of the battle.
Yes, they trap anything small that walks or crawls: rabbits, spiders, frogs, etc.

-Lyno!
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Do the traps kill the frogs? I hate frogs - they attack me / steal stuff when I'm just walking by. The only thing I like about them is if I run through an area full of ponds when I'm being chased by bees.

Have any of you gone underground?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Bad Demographic wrote:Do the traps kill the frogs? I hate frogs - they attack me / steal stuff when I'm just walking by. The only thing I like about them is if I run through an area full of ponds when I'm being chased by bees.

Yes, traps get frogs too. Much easier and healthier than trying to fight them.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Bad Demographic wrote:Have any of you gone underground?
Death.
no.... really.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Bad Demographic wrote:
I have a couple of times. Only do it if you have a couple of miner's hats built. Not much exciting down there, IMO, but there are lightbulb plants that can charge a lantern or miner's hat so I guess that's cool.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Bad Demographic

I'm trying to decide if I want to take WX (the robot) underground. Supposedly you should be able to find gears down there so you can upgrade it. I hate digging up graves because 1) big sanity hit and 2) I get ghosts about 1/4 - 1/3 of the time rather than about 1/10 of the time. I realize that it's just a probability thing, but it's kind of frustrating anyway.
Right now I'm trying out long summer with WX and trying out Wendy in normal seasons. I haven't even tried summoning Abigail yet.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Bad Demographic

On sale now.
If you wanted to try out Don't Starve Together, you can still get into the early access but for less $ for a couple of days. And, I think, still get DST when it goes out of early access.

Black Lives Matter
Bad Demographic

Oh my god - I just used a ham bat for the first time!
I had made it thinking it would be like a normal weapon - only deteriorates when used. Fortunately, I happened to look in the chest I had stashed it in and saw that it was a little over half gone. So I ran off and fought some tentacles (for the weapons) then had the bright idea to go kill chess monsters (because I'm running WX-78). I have eaten 8 gears now. Wow!

Black Lives Matter
Bad Demographic

I picked up Reign of Giants this week (for $1.69). It's much harder than the basic game. I started Wilson because he's fairly easy to play. Died on day 6 - killed by a Terror. It rained a lot and being wet is a factor - a wetness meter shows up just below the sanity meter and your items develop a blue border (around the square the item is in). It looks like your sanity drops when you're wet, too.

Black Lives Matter
dfs

Post by dfs »

Just for what it's worth.... Don't starve together is a blast. My oldest kid has moved to another city. We keep in touch by setting aside an hour or two every week to play don't starve together. The dogs keep getting us......ham bats and a pig army visiting the swamp may be our salvation.
Bad Demographic

I watched part of a video of people playing DST together and it really did look like a lot of fun.

I see that DST will be available on June 3 for current owners of DS. I'm hoping I can find some folks to play with on a semi-regular basis.

Black Lives Matter
MHS

Post by MHS »

Bad Demographic wrote:Oh my god - I just used a ham bat for the first time!
I had made it thinking it would be like a normal weapon - only deteriorates when used. Fortunately, I happened to look in the chest I had stashed it in and saw that it was a little over half gone. So I ran off and fought some tentacles (for the weapons) then had the bright idea to go kill chess monsters (because I'm running WX-78). I have eaten 8 gears now. Wow!
Ham bats are good but I wish they didn't deteriorate so fast. Have you used a tentacle spike yet? I love those!
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Bad Demographic

MHS wrote:Ham bats are good but I wish they didn't deteriorate so fast. Have you used a tentacle spike yet? I love those!
Yes, they're great. I'm running a WX-78 (or whatever its number is) in the Reign of Giants and need to go hang out by the swamp to get a tentacle spike (for the weapon) and some tentacle spots (to make a raincoat).
I can make it through winter okay but have only hit summer once - quickly overheated and died.

Have you tried Reign of Giants yet? More specifically, have you tried Wigfrid yet? She's pretty awesome.

Black Lives Matter
Bad Demographic

So have any of you played the Reign of Giants DLC? I haven't yet made it through summer - winter's not so bad, but summer seems to be quite tough.

Black Lives Matter
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Bad Demographic wrote:So have any of you played the Reign of Giants DLC? I haven't yet made it through summer - winter's not so bad, but summer seems to be quite tough.
I tried it, but didn't get very far. To be fair, I didn't get very far in the original either. I tend to get bogged down in some minor detail and next thing I know, I'm dead. I don't multitask well.
Bad Demographic

For me, it took a while to get past the first few days in the base game.
Experience in the base game helped me some in Reign of Giants until I got to summer and died of overheating. I'm still trying to survive summer in RoG.

Black Lives Matter
MHS

Post by MHS »

I haven't tried RoG yet. I'm very much a creature of habit; I won't branch out until I'm reallllllly bored with something. I'm not there yet with the regular version.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My wife has discovered the game and has unlocked up through Wickerbottom just now. I'll have to pick up RoG for her if it goes on sale soon.

This is really going to cut into my card farming.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Bad Demographic

I think RoG is incorporated or included in DS:T (which we should be getting tomorrow for owning the base game) - so you might not need to buy her RoG. But check what you get, I could be wrong.

I picked up RoG on sale a few months back so that I could play Wigfrid. She's tons of fun but I haven't yet survived summer. I find RoG much harder. On the plus side, I've started fooling around with the game settings in vanilla - I set Beefalo, Pigmen and Chessmen to "more" and am running WX in that world. It's tough because the Chessmen seem to be nearly as common as saplings, but since I also set beefalo and pigmen to "more" I now have LOTS of meaty food as well as waaaaay more gears than I had expected.

Black Lives Matter
Bad Demographic

Anybody up for not starving Together?

Black Lives Matter
MHS

Post by MHS »

I'd be interested to see screenshots from other people's games. Here's 2 shots of my main camp; I have smaller, satellite camps throughout but try to keep close to my main camp in the winter. You can see tooth traps in the narrow entrance at the top, which help kill hounds. Relocated berry bushes, trunks with supplies and bunnies (I usually have 4-5 chests of bunnies to get me through the winter), other stuff. The pengulls often come out of the water and then I kill them so that they don't break down my stone walls, but I still like having my main camp next to water to minimize the walls I have to build to protect from hounds. You can't see the beefalo/bunny biosphere that's one screen above me, and I've built some pig houses and relocated some spider egg sacs so I've got most of my necessities 2-3 screens away.

Anyway, I'd love to see other people's screenshots, if anyone wants to share. I'm sure yours will make me embarrassed of mine, but whatever. :)

Big IMG'd, click to make bigger

[bigimg]http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t198 ... qonc3b.png[/bigimg]

[bigimg]http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t198 ... 6bxy65.jpg[/bigimg]
dfs

Post by dfs »

Those look great. I've never made it long enough to build anything so grand.

How do the traps work? How do you get enough teeth to build them? As the hound pack expands....and it expands rapidly .....Surviving against them becomes a real priority.
Bad Demographic

I'm pretty stunned by how fortified your base is, and by how organized it is. I haven't yet tried making stone walls, only tried wood ones with one of my characters. And my bases are always pretty much a jumble.
Since I'm currently experimenting with WX (the automaton) - increased rabbits, beefalo, pigmen, chessmen and rocks to "more" (one level of increase) - I don't need to spend much time getting food. Various critters kill each other off and I spend a lot of time picking up meats of various types and, more importantly, gears. As for hounds, when there are too many to fight, I tend to lead them to a beefalo herd or pengulls. As for the Deerclops, I mostly just run away (and wait for summer).

Black Lives Matter
MHS

Post by MHS »

dfs wrote:Those look great. I've never made it long enough to build anything so grand.

How do the traps work? How do you get enough teeth to build them? As the hound pack expands....and it expands rapidly .....Surviving against them becomes a real priority.
The traps get "planted" and each trap is good for about 10 uses. Since the hounds drop teeth about half the time when they're killed, the tooth traps are sort-of a replenishing weapon. You just need 1 rope, 1 log, and 1 tooth to make one. I usually have a trail of 5-8 leading through my corridor. I lead hounds through and the traps kill most of them before them even get to me. You can also stab at hounds through the stone walls using a spear, so I try to keep them on the wrong side of the walls for them to kill me. I also use tooth traps when a turkey pops out of one of my berry bushes; I'll chase it out of my camp and get a couple of drumsticks instead of empty berry bushes. Stupid turkeys.

The bad thing about having a very established camp is that the Deerclops seem to be attracted to camps and will come and break down your camp in the winter. I usually solve this by trying to lead them away, chasing me, and take them to one of my smaller camps but sometimes I do have to do some renovations when they break my place up a bit.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Bad Demographic wrote:I'm pretty stunned by how fortified your base is, and by how organized it is. I haven't yet tried making stone walls, only tried wood ones with one of my characters. And my bases are always pretty much a jumble.
Since I'm currently experimenting with WX (the automaton) - increased rabbits, beefalo, pigmen, chessmen and rocks to "more" (one level of increase) - I don't need to spend much time getting food. Various critters kill each other off and I spend a lot of time picking up meats of various types and, more importantly, gears. As for hounds, when there are too many to fight, I tend to lead them to a beefalo herd or pengulls. As for the Deerclops, I mostly just run away (and wait for summer).
I saw that you'd increased the chessman. I don't think I've ever killed a chessman, I usually avoid them completely. Knowing that's how I get gears will make me a little braver; I like having a fridge to keep food from spoiling so fast.
dfs

Post by dfs »

MHS wrote:
dfs wrote: You can also stab at hounds through the stone walls using a spear, so I try to keep them on the wrong side of the walls for them to kill me.

VVVhaattt!!!! no! Now, I'm stuck at work till I can try that out!

That means if you are at camp when the dogs are coming, you can wall yourself in and just stab to your hearts content? Build.....self contained anti-puppy bases in places where you won't be able to get back to your main base? .....
How exact is the puppy appearance? They've been the bane of my existence.
Bad Demographic

MHS wrote:I saw that you'd increased the chessman. I don't think I've ever killed a chessman, I usually avoid them completely. Knowing that's how I get gears will make me a little braver; I like having a fridge to keep food from spoiling so fast.
You really need chessmen if you play WX. His intial stats are low but he can raise them by eating gears. If he eats 15 gears, he reaches his max stats of 400 health, 20 hunger and 300 sanity. After that, he can eat gears to replenish heath, hunger and sanity. In the base game, there don't seem to be enough chessmen to max WX out AND build a lot of refrigerators (also, in Reign of Giants, you need gears for other things).
With extra pigmen, I can sometimes lead chessmen to a pig village and the pigmen will do my work for me. After a while, WX has enough health to survive a fight on his own.

There's one chessman that looks like a two-legged rhino. It's probably the easiest to kill because it always runs in a straight line. Get it to charge you, run away then dodge to the side. Then follow it. Hit it once or twice when it stops then move away so it doens't hit you. Rinse and repeat. They don't seem to heal up so you will eventually be able to kill on this way.

Black Lives Matter
MHS

Post by MHS »

dfs wrote:
MHS wrote:
dfs wrote: You can also stab at hounds through the stone walls using a spear, so I try to keep them on the wrong side of the walls for them to kill me.

VVVhaattt!!!! no! Now, I'm stuck at work till I can try that out!

That means if you are at camp when the dogs are coming, you can wall yourself in and just stab to your hearts content? Build.....self contained anti-puppy bases in places where you won't be able to get back to your main base? .....
How exact is the puppy appearance? They've been the bane of my existence.
But you have to leave a way for you to get out; although I guess you could hammer your way out if you built a completely self-contained box (provided you have a hammer handy). Hmmm.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Bad Demographic wrote: There's one chessman that looks like a two-legged rhino. It's probably the easiest to kill because it always runs in a straight line. Get it to charge you, run away then dodge to the side. Then follow it. Hit it once or twice when it stops then move away so it doens't hit you. Rinse and repeat. They don't seem to heal up so you will eventually be able to kill on this way.
Good to know, thanks. I will also try RoG before too much longer!
dfs

Post by dfs »

MHS wrote:The traps get "planted" and each trap is good for about 10 uses. Since the hounds drop teeth about half the time when they're killed, the tooth traps are sort-of a replenishing weapon. You just need 1 rope, 1 log, and 1 tooth to make one. I usually have a trail of 5-8 leading through my corridor. I lead hounds through and the traps kill most of them before them even get to me. You can also stab at hounds through the stone walls using a spear, so I try to keep them on the wrong side of the walls for them to kill me. I also use tooth traps when a turkey pops out of one of my berry bushes; I'll chase it out of my camp and get a couple of drumsticks instead of empty berry bushes. Stupid turkeys.
3rd wave of hounds got me.
I had a nice wall with several tooth traps at the entrance.
Winter hit and the penguins came out of the sea in my camp.
Getting out of my camp they trashed my walls and traps.
And then the puppies came.

Shoot.
Just fwiw in ROG I don't get anywhere near the drop rate of 1 tooth per 2 dogs.
OTOH you can go to the desert biom and harvest teeth from the bones and such.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Sorry it didn't work better for you. :( Maybe the hounds are more wimpy in the non-RoG version, which is what I'm still playing.
Bad Demographic

dfs wrote:
MHS wrote:The traps get "planted" and each trap is good for about 10 uses. Since the hounds drop teeth about half the time when they're killed, the tooth traps are sort-of a replenishing weapon. You just need 1 rope, 1 log, and 1 tooth to make one. I usually have a trail of 5-8 leading through my corridor. I lead hounds through and the traps kill most of them before them even get to me. You can also stab at hounds through the stone walls using a spear, so I try to keep them on the wrong side of the walls for them to kill me. I also use tooth traps when a turkey pops out of one of my berry bushes; I'll chase it out of my camp and get a couple of drumsticks instead of empty berry bushes. Stupid turkeys.
3rd wave of hounds got me.
I had a nice wall with several tooth traps at the entrance.
Winter hit and the penguins came out of the sea in my camp.
Getting out of my camp they trashed my walls and traps.
And then the puppies came.

Shoot.
Just fwiw in ROG I don't get anywhere near the drop rate of 1 tooth per 2 dogs.
OTOH you can go to the desert biom and harvest teeth from the bones and such.
I haven't progressed to building walls yet, so when the hounds come, I usually run to the nearest beefalo herd. Pengulls and pigmen are also helpful with hounds (pigmen more so than the pengulls) and, to a limited extent, eyeplants are also helpful.

Maybe you could build a sort of panic room - a smaller fort with a long corridor of toothtraps that you just run into when the hounds come. I don't know if it would work but it might be worth a try. Just don't put anything that would burn up right outside the mini-fort/panic-room so that if you're attacked by summer (fire?) hounds, your farms/berries/flowers/tree-farm type places don't burn down.

Black Lives Matter
dfs

Post by dfs »

I'm having limited success with the panic room concept with a fire pit, science machines, fridge and drying racks inside. That's exactly the direction I'm headed.

I've reached the point where I'm not gonna starve and I don't need a mass of berries.

What gets me with the hound is being to far from home and get caught in the open.

I have not made summer yet.

Oh ...got my first spike weapon the other day.....what a difference. Gives you a very good reason to scan the swamps.
dfs

Post by dfs »

50+ days in and the microbase concept worked well. A very small defensible perimeter with room for just a firepit, some storage and a crockpot. Better than the microbase was using the cooked green mushrooms to aid sanity and the blue mushrooms to help health. The puppies were not giving me any trouble at all. I did have one wave that dropped a passle of teeth so the trapps on my corridor where doing ok.....

and then the rain of frogs hit my base.

Game over man....Game over.

I should have prepped a secondary base.

Ouch.
Bad Demographic

The Rain of Frogs is really tough. The first time I experienced it I had NO IDEA why there were frogs everywhere. What a disaster! I know I've had the rain of frogs other times but don't recall what happened. I probably quit in disgust - or maybe died. You get Rain of Frogs and those killer summers in Reign of Giants, and apparently that's integrated into DST.
I have yet to survive more than a couple of days (really, maybe two) of summer.

Now that I have DST, I'd like to try to play it with some of you.

Black Lives Matter
MHS

Post by MHS »

I have a really stupid glitch going on in my game right now...it constantly thinks the hounds are coming. Every 5 minutes or so, Wilson says "Did you hear that?" or whatever he says right before they show up, but they don't actually ever show up. I'm 30 days in and haven't had a hound yet. It sounds great in theory, EXCEPT...I can't sleep (the game thinks it's too dangerous because it thinks a hound attack is imminent), so I'm losing sanity like crazy. I'm using mushrooms and the Top Hat to try to stay on top of it, but my chests full of bunnies don't do me much good if they're nightmare-ish because I'm insane. :( I don't know what caused this.

Part of me thinks I should just commit suicide by darkness or something and start over, but the other part of me is kind of interested by the challenge.
Bad Demographic

Can you make taffy? I think it's a stick and three honeys. Gives +15 sanity.
And various hats help. And picking flowers.
Of course, those won't help with the glitch, just the sanity.

The character Wigfrid in Reign of Giants gets some sanity back by killing things - and she's very good at that. When I play her and get in trouble with sanity I usually just wait until the shadow things attack. She gets enough sanity back from killing them.

Black Lives Matter
MHS

Post by MHS »

Bad Demographic wrote:Can you make taffy? I think it's a stick and three honeys. Gives +15 sanity.
And various hats help. And picking flowers.
Of course, those won't help with the glitch, just the sanity.

The character Wigfrid in Reign of Giants gets some sanity back by killing things - and she's very good at that. When I play her and get in trouble with sanity I usually just wait until the shadow things attack. She gets enough sanity back from killing them.
Yup. I've been eating taffy and wearing my top hat and picking flowers. Like I said, on the one hand it's an annoying glitch but OTOH, it adds a little spin to things. Makes me mad that I have a useless tent and bed roll, though.