Don't Starve

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Bad Demographic

Re: Don't Starve

Post by Bad Demographic »

Can you make one of those houndstooth vests? Might need hounds teeth and spider webs - I'd have to go look. I think that's supposed to help with restoring sanity. Also the walrus's tam if you can get it.

That's about all I can think of.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
MHS

Post by MHS »

Bad Demographic wrote:Can you make one of those houndstooth vests? Might need hounds teeth and spider webs - I'd have to go look. I think that's supposed to help with restoring sanity. Also the walrus's tam if you can get it.

That's about all I can think of.
I went ahead and committed suicide and started a new game. :)
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Lee

Post by Lee »

iPad version out tomorrow for $5. Full game plus expansion. Figures because I just bought it a couple of weeks ago. I can't imagine how well it would work with a touch interface though, might be kind of tedious.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
dfs

Post by dfs »

Oh there goes the rest of my life.
MHS

Post by MHS »

I can't imagine it on an iPad. But I'll buy it tonight anyway.

BadDemo, I have reached the point where I might be willing to not starve...together! I'm always hesitant because I worry I'll suck and bring other people down. But I'm willing to consider it if you and/or others are interested.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Bad Demographic

MHS wrote:I can't imagine it on an iPad. But I'll buy it tonight anyway.

BadDemo, I have reached the point where I might be willing to not starve...together! I'm always hesitant because I worry I'll suck and bring other people down. But I'm willing to consider it if you and/or others are interested.
Maybe we should see if dfs will join us? I think he has played DST so surely he has survived summer. I haven't yet.
Anyway, based on your base, I'd guess it would be more likely that I would bring you down! I only recently built a couple of bird cages and put birds in them. But I've been playing Fallout New Vegas and haven't tried feeding the birds anything in particular. And I haven't yet tried keeping bees.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
dfs

Post by dfs »

Bad Demographic wrote:Maybe we should see if dfs will join us? I think he has played DST so surely he has survived summer. I haven't yet.
Anyway, based on your base, I'd guess it would be more likely that I would bring you down! I only recently built a couple of bird cages and put birds in them. But I've been playing Fallout New Vegas and haven't tried feeding the birds anything in particular. And I haven't yet tried keeping bees.
I would definitely be draggin y'all down.
I have not made it through a summer yet.
My current goal is to survive a full year and I have not managed it yet.

There are a couple of different modes to dst.
In standard mode you can die, but your partners can bring you back fairly cheaply, but you will be at reduced health till you get a health poultice.
There is also endless mode where you can bring yourself back at the spawn point.

I would be willing to give it a try, but frankly organizing time in my life is like a tetris.
This coming week is actually pretty good.

Has anybody taken the ipad plunge? Is it just rog or is dst in there too?
Lee

Post by Lee »

dfs wrote:
Bad Demographic wrote: Has anybody taken the ipad plunge? Is it just rog or is dst in there too?
It's not out yet, developer says Thursday now, I guess. Together is not in there supposedly.

I am confused, I have made it through a summer and died in winter. The game seems impossible to me. Summer was sort of easy once I got the basics down, but winter, I had no clue how to survive. Talk in this thread makes it seem easy.
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Bad Demographic

Lee wrote:
dfs wrote:
Bad Demographic wrote: Has anybody taken the ipad plunge? Is it just rog or is dst in there too?
It's not out yet, developer says Thursday now, I guess. Together is not in there supposedly.

I am confused, I have made it through a summer and died in winter. The game seems impossible to me. Summer was sort of easy once I got the basics down, but winter, I had no clue how to survive. Talk in this thread makes it seem easy.
Maybe winter doesn't seem so bad to me because in basic DS you only have two seasons - pleasant and cold.

To survive winter you can - make a thermal stone, make a winter hat, make a beefalo hat, make rabbit earmuffs, stand by the fire all night. And you can put farms and transplant berry bushes near your camp for food. Make chests to store rabbits to kill and eat later. Most of those are pretty easy to do in one season. After the first winter I usually make drying racks, crockpots and refrigerators.

I have read about ways to survive summer - make cooling clothes, store thermal stones in refrigerators so you can carry them around to keep you cool, make a reverse fire (creates cold from fuel). To protect your farm and other plants you need to make something called an ice-flingomatic, but that requires gears which usually means you need to kill chessmen.
I haven't played more than autumn in DST but I'm assuming it is like Reign of Giants in that you need to make stuff to keep you dry (rain makes you wet and decreases sanity) in Spring and Fall (and summer?). I'm also assuming that in DST you have Frog Rain in the spring?
I feel like in RoG you don't have as much time to make a stable base - maybe it's just because I haven't played it as much.
If DST is like RoG maybe a group stands a better chance of surviving (more people to get the work done).

Black Lives Matter
MHS

Post by MHS »

I started playing RoG yesterday and would agree that it's much harder to make a stable base. It's harder in general. Regular DS was getting a little too easy, so I'm glad for the ratchet up in difficulty level, but we'll see if I still feel that way when I'm more than 17 days in in the game. I really hate that the bunnies can go bad and can't just be kept in a chest forever.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Bunnies gone bad screams for google image search... And that search is about what you'd expect it to be...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Artistic b&w shots of nude women wearing giant costume bunny heads, for those less brave.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

LordMortis wrote:Bunnies gone bad screams for google image search... And that search is about what you'd expect it to be...
dfs

Post by dfs »

Lee wrote:I am confused, I have made it through a summer and died in winter. The game seems impossible to me. Summer was sort of easy once I got the basics down, but winter, I had no clue how to survive. Talk in this thread makes it seem easy.
In the expansion reign of giants they added in Spring and Summer. Winter stayed as winter and the original summer then became fall.

Fall is by far the easiest season to survive.
The cold in winter blocks your non-rabbit food and you need to make sure you stay warm. As noted below thermal stones are very important.
Food isn't a problem in spring, but the rain will drive you crazy very quickly if you don't build gear to keep you dry.
Summer......I don't know. I've only seen a few days of summer. It looks like the supplies you need to survive summer are pretty easy to come by, but spontaneous fires can be an issue.
Lee

Post by Lee »

I am getting the impression I need to stay far away from the expansion until I get good at the game. I was really having fun with it, then it just seemed like every day was such a struggle that it became tedious. Probably need to watch some YouTube videos.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I just started playing this since I've got some time while on a business trip. It's a lot of fun even though I keep dying. At first, I was just trying to figure out how to play. Then, as I figured out what did what, I was thinking it would be easy - right up to the point I did something stupid and died. :D It's neat, though, that each death is a teaching lesson and helps me get just a bit farther the next time. My last death was annoying as it didn't need to happen. I knew it was getting dark, but I just had to try and make a wall for the first time - only to find out I used up all my grass and couldn't start a fire. :doh: Looking forward to getting some more time in over the next few days.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ugh, I died by a toad. So ignominious.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Bad Demographic

So is anybody interested in trying to play Don't Starve Together?
I backed off last time because I hadn't made it through a full summer in Reign of Giants so figured I wasn't ready for DST. I've sort of made it through four seasons of RoG but I noticed that in DST I can set up a world with fewer or no Giants (and can set the giants separately). So now I feel I might be able to handle DST.

It'll be easiest to connect if you are a member of the Octopus Overlords group in Steam.
Game style could be either co-operative or Social ("This server is a place for friendly chatter, a relaxed playstyle...).
For now I'd prefer to not have to deal with Giants (Deerclops is okay) but we can work out what we want in the world.

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Shipwrecked
In Don't Starve: Shipwrecked, Wilson finds himself stranded in a tropical archipelago. He must learn to survive all over again in this new environment filled with new biomes, seasons, and creatures.

Don’t let the tropical breeze lull you into a false sense of security - the world might be different, but it is still equal parts unforgiving and uncompromising. You will quickly find these islands are full to the brim with things that want to kill you.

Key Features
* Navigate the Open Ocean: Craft a boat and set sail for adventure!
* Explore an Entirely New World: The entire world is different. Explore new biomes filled with new resources. Scavenge for new sources of food. Run for your life from a host of new creatures.
* Brave New Seasons: A set of tropically inspired seasons will try their hardest to kill you.
* Craft New Recipes: Build an array of new gadgets to help yourself survive these harsh islands.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Neat.
Bad Demographic

I haven't tried Shipwrecked yet - I'm still trying to get decent at RoG.
I'm now into Spring #2. I set Autumn to long and it worked for the first Autumn but seems to have reverted to the default length. Turned off all the giants except Deerclops.
So far (in this game) I've survived:
Deerclops 1 (by running far away)
Frog Rain
Summer (mostly by staying near an endothermic fire pit)
Deerclops 2 (combo of tooth traps and large beefalo herd - and now I have a Deerclops eyeball)

I've built:
only 2 pig houses so far (I want a small pigman village nearby).
1 bird cage. Eggs!
3 Fling-o-matics

I haven't explored the entire map yet and haven't found any walrus camps. I have found and killed 1 koalephant - made a lightweight vest with its trunk.

Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kids have been playing Don't Starve Together which has gotten me interested in the game again. Spending a lot of time in the Vanilla version of the game. Having a great time. Once/If I get better at the base game I'll try out the DLC's.

I like this game better than a lot of other survival games, including Ark.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It has a very cool flavor. I have all of the DLC, and would still think the base game offers quite a bit by itself. Reign of Giants brings too much challenge to the table, IMO - I tend to disable the giants and keep the rest.

This and Terraria are the only two games my wife will play with me on a semi-regular basis. She loves the artistic style, but not so much the survival aspect.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Paingod wrote:This and Terraria are the only two games my wife will play with me on a semi-regular basis. She loves the artistic style, but not so much the survival aspect.
The are is what hooked me a long time ago. I really need to get back to this. I keep telling chaosraven that I'd be up to relearn the game in multiplayer with his tutelage but then I keep sucking and never commit to a plan, but I do love the art. I loved how during pre-release they made every update into a production with movies and posters. I really fell in love with Klei over their entire production. That's how I started really getting sucked in to pre-releases.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I absolutely adore the stylized graphics and theme of the game.

I much, much prefer getting my survival gaming from Don't Starve than from ARK, for example. I'd even say that Don't Starve is the more complex game. ARK is basically an open world with a large crafting tech tree. Don't Starve is an open ended strategy game with specific challenges built in.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Don't Starve and Terraria have been the most played computer games in my household for the past 2 years. Terraria being my personal favorite.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Torfish wrote:Don't Starve and Terraria have been the most played computer games in my household for the past 2 years. Terraria being my personal favorite.
I would love to play Terraria with my 8-year old, but it's too damn frustrating. While I'm fighting bosses and making nice things, he's pillaging (and accidentally losing) my well-organized loot collection and blowing up my structures (accidentally) - as such, we've only logged maybe 8 hours of play together since he got the game.
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Torfish wrote:Don't Starve and Terraria have been the most played computer games in my household for the past 2 years. Terraria being my personal favorite.
I'd say Terraria is the better game in terms of sheer building and things to do. Sometimes I'm intimidated by too many choices. If I get back to Terraria I almost certainly will read a guide or 3 to give me some structure and focus.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My son started playing Terraria again this past weekend on our XB1. It just looks like a bewildering mess to me.

(Oh, and Don't Starve is great. I was never any good at it, but enjoyed every minute of it.)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Accidentally cooked my very first Koalafant trunk. :shock: :oops: :cry:

edit: From a practical standpoint, it basically changes nothing. From an emotional perspective, it was very disheartening and demoralizing. Which is weird. I'm very well situated to be going into Winter #2. Losing the trunk changes very little.

Still, annoyingly demoralizing.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Damn it!

I have over 100 hours in the game now and I only just learned that basic traps kill spiders with no risk.

Not that it matters. I quite like killing spiders manually and if you have abigail it's really, really fun, but the fact that you could take on beginning spiders nests with only twigs and grass is something that would have been useful to know a hundred hours ago.

My bad.

In my defense, I *thought* you'd have to fight the spider anyway when you picked up the trap so I never bothered to trap them. I was thinking multiple traps to thin the herd, then release each spider 1 at a time to fight one on one. Since I have never been in a situation where i needed to fight one on one (rather than kite or just power through) I never bothered to trap a spider.

At least I learned something cool about a part of the game that I thought I already understood.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Started a new game for a variety of reasons:

1. I like the early struggle to get established
2. I know what I need to do in the early game
3. I don't know what to do in the late game and it both frustrates and frightens me.
4. I like the different challenges the different characters bring to the table.

Right now I'm playing as WX-78. I survived my first hound attack by dragging them through beefalo. It's a tried and true method, but it was my first time using it. It worked fine.

I have not found any gears or chess pieces. Gears are going to be a problem. In the meantime I'm squishy as hell. I almost died waiting for meatballs to finish on my crockpot. I didn't even realize. Before I ate the meatballs I looked up only to see I had 6 hp left.

Multiple lightning strikes seem to stack as far as duration of Overload goes. I got hit 3 times (twice in rapid succession) and I must have been sped up and glowing for over 24 hours. I was also completely insane for a bit (like, sanity=0), but constructing prototypes and picking flowers dragged me back to sanity pretty fast.

I have easy access to trees, beefalo and the pig king, but rocks are too far away and reeds even farther. Many guides suggest ignoring rabbits as fiddly work and a waste of time but I've found that a few traps (cheap, easily found resources to make) in an area that you often walk by is free meat. And meat early game is a rare and valuable resource. You often have tons of carrots, berries and even mushrooms, but meat requires some prep work. Harvesting rabbits IS a pain, but it's pretty easy to just grab one or two here and there.

With morsels and carrots/berries/mushrooms I can make meatballs which is a very reasonable recipe. I have 5 advanced farms supplementing my food income as well. Spiders are far away, so silk is a problem, and with that no bird trap. being squishy means I've got to pay more attention when fighting spiders than I'm used to. That said, my post above means I should be able to use a trap to harvest silk relatively safely.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote:Gears are going to be a problem.
Look for graves and tumbleweeds, too. I love WX-78. He does start off very weak but can become permanently quite potent with a lot of work.

For my, my greatest enemy later in the game became boredom. I had "survival" down to a science, but needed challenge. I started getting reckless while looking for it and that doesn't bode well for anyone. I don't know what I thought would happen when I tried to melee a spider queen, but it ended up as you'd imagine... that sort of thing.
GreenGoo wrote:That said, my post above means I should be able to use a trap to harvest silk relatively safely.
If you find a number of spider nests, too, it's worth it to raid them and whittle down the numbers. They grow to Tier 3 and then eventually spawn a queen that settles a new nest a little ways off. Over time they can eventually dominate an area by virtue of being too numerous (while getting harder to root out). Lay out a bunch of straw traps, run up to a nest, swat it, and then drag the resulting swarm across your trap-grounds. When it's emptied, run up and finish the nest - lots of Silk!
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I have yet to unlock Wes or Maxwell, so those are longer term goals. If I find I am still interested in playing after getting survival down to a science, I will try a Reign of Giants or Ship Wrecked game.

Currently I'm playing vanilla, and that doesn't even include wetness, let alone over heating or any of the new mobs and additional challenges of the DLCs.
dfs

Post by dfs »

Paingod wrote:My, my greatest enemy later in the game became boredom. I had "survival" down to a science, but needed challenge. I started getting reckless while looking for it and that doesn't bode well for anyone. I don't know what I thought would happen when I tried to melee a spider queen, but it ended up as you'd imagine...
Oh, so much this. That's what this game is about.

I wonder what happens if...Oh. Oh, my. That was a bad idea.

That's how learning takes place.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

My issue with that kind of learning is that hours and hours of work can disappear in the blink of an eye. And even though I'm mostly ok with that in Rogue-likes, the problem with that in Don't Starve is that the first few hours are almost always identical. Who wants to spend 2 hours, lose, spend 2 hours doing the same thing then 30 minutes with new stuff, lose, then spend 2.5 hours doing the same thing then 30 minutes of new stuff, lose, etc, etc.

I've come to the realization that I much prefer someone to tell me what I should be trying to do and then try to do it more than "hey, there's a chest, a thermometer and a icebox here. I wonder what happens if I open this chest" only to die of hypothermia within seconds of opening it.

It makes for fun video watching, but it freakin' sucks as far as fun goes. And I'm the kind of person who will normally put tons of hours into games restarting and doing the same sort of stuff again and again.

You know if there is a limit on my tolerance for replaying the opening of a game it's gotten repetitive.
Bad Demographic

Iirc, you can make a copy of the save game folder, then if you die you can replace the new save game folder with the copy and get your character back. Some folks may consider it cheating, but if you have a good start it allows you to continue and maybe learn new things.

Black Lives Matter
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

LordMortis wrote:
Paingod wrote:This and Terraria are the only two games my wife will play with me on a semi-regular basis. She loves the artistic style, but not so much the survival aspect.
The are is what hooked me a long time ago. I really need to get back to this. I keep telling chaosraven that I'd be up to relearn the game in multiplayer with his tutelage but then I keep sucking and never commit to a plan, but I do love the art. I loved how during pre-release they made every update into a production with movies and posters. I really fell in love with Klei over their entire production. That's how I started really getting sucked in to pre-releases.
And here I am, waiting to get some DST going!
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Chaosraven wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
And here I am, waiting to get some DST going!

It's high time I make a commitment. What's your week look like?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Console version of Don't Starve Together finally dropped a couple weeks ago, so I picked it up for the XBox One. The wife was thrilled, as she has spend dozens of hours in SP, and has wanted to play with me badly. I kind of bounced off the SP game, but I'm willing to play with the wife to buy her chairs.

We died in the first five days on our first attempt last week, as I am still getting used to the interface, and she had a derp moment, so we failed to get any fire going before the darkness ate us.

I don't know how far we got last night in terms of days, but she died to combat. I knew there was something somewhere in the inventory for a revive, but I didn't find it before the meteor storm killed me, too. Thus endeth our second coop attempt.