The Art of the Donald Trumpocalypse

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

The Art of the Donald Trumpocalypse

Post by Holman »

trump wrote:They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.
trump wrote:The silent majority is back, and we’re going to take the country back!
trump wrote:The beauty of me is that I'm very rich.
Although the election is still 15.5 months away, we can probably go ahead and call it. Donald Trump is the frontrunner for the GOP nomination and almost certainly the next leader of the Free World. It's time to consider how America came to be so lucky.

So why Trump? What explains his popularity now?

(By the way, it appears that Scott Walker is announcing today. IMHO his politics are mean-spirited and wrong, but he isn't a cartoon like the Donald. If Walker's entry bump doesn't solidly eclipse Trump, we'll know the GOP is in a tailspin.)
Last edited by Holman on Thu May 05, 2016 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rip

Re: The Art of the Donald Trump Sideshow

Post by Rip »

I wonder if we could maybe get press conferences where he tells people they are fired? That would be fun.

I look forward to taking my grand-kids to the park to play on the Donald Trump statue someday.

:pop:

Oh, and I think his popularity is a more or less direct public response to what is seen as our future open door immigration system. Public opinion on the immigration policy they expect out of the current front-runners is in the tank.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote:
Trump appeals to the lowest common denominator in this country. The people who are angry that our country isn't one color, under God. If Trump puts up a billboard of himself with a rifle in one hand and the bible in the other, the sound of the collective orgasm that would come from Tea Party strongholds would be deafening.

The saner voices of the GOP are terrified of him. He won't win as the majority of Americans realize that to vote for him, you'd have to be bat shit insane, but he will steal votes from legitimate, non-psychotic candidates.

I'm calling it now. Dems in 2016. Easily. And all thanks to the raging ego monster that is Donald "The Chump" Trump. Or, as he was known during the heyday of Spy Magazine, The Short Fingered Vulgarian.
Covfefe!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote:
Holman wrote:
Trump appeals to the lowest common denominator in this country. The people who are angry that our country isn't one color, under God. If Trump puts up a billboard of himself with a rifle in one hand and the bible in the other, the sound of the collective orgasm that would come from Tea Party strongholds would be deafening.

The saner voices of the GOP are terrified of him. He won't win as the majority of Americans realize that to vote for him, you'd have to be bat shit insane, but he will steal votes from legitimate, non-psychotic candidates.

I'm calling it now. Dems in 2016. Easily. And all thanks to the raging ego monster that is Donald "The Chump" Trump. Or, as he was known during the heyday of Spy Magazine, The Short Fingered Vulgarian.
2 things:

1. Trump has all but ensured that he will get exactly 0% of the Hispanic vote, which the republican candidate will need if he wants to win.

2. Trump is still only doing this for the publicity and there is no way even he expects to make it past the primaries. He runs for president (or threatens to) every four years and it raises his public blow hard appearance.
FTE
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I don't know that Trump is genuinely popular. He has some positive poll results (second behind Bush in NH, I believe), but polls are worthless this far out - 90% of it is name recognition at the moment.

I do appreciate his candidacy as a democrat in that he's going to do some damage to the GOP brand for as long as he can keep running (especially among minorities, which will hurt whomever the eventual nominee is).
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I assumed at first that this was another publicity stunt, just like the last time he "ran". During that stunt, he withdrew fairly early. I think he fully intended to do the same thing this time around. But I also believe it backfired on him. The average man on the street isn't his bread and butter, it's the media and the corporations that support his brand. And right now they're running from him as fast as they can. I get the feeling that he's backed himself into a corner and his pathologically huge ego won't let him apologize or stand down.
Covfefe!
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Holman wrote:What explains his popularity now?
15% of one third of the population (or about 5%) is popular now?

(For politicians running for the white house, anyway.)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

El Guapo wrote:90% of it is name recognition at the moment.
Yeah, that's probably a big part of it.
Rip

Post by Rip »

People are also tired of the progressive game that typically begins when a liberal feigns being offended, followed by the filing of a lawsuit to seek “damages” and eventually ends when the speaker is silenced.

The offending party must be financially crippled because they dared to have an opinion of their own that wasn’t politically correct. The matter cannot be resolved until the offender is crushed and silenced. Score another victory for progressives!

Trump on the other hand has refused to be silenced by the financial threats.

He has become the voice of many who have reluctantly remained silent because they fear losing everything they own.

It’s not that Trump is a political genius who can solve all of the country’s problems.

At this point, however, I’m not even sure that most people really care what his political views are. All that matters is that Trump is giving the left a run for their money.

Trump is telling the left what most Americans have been wanting to say for the past eight years and he, unlike many Americans, has the money to defend himself from any lawsuit that may come his way.
http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/p ... rspective/
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Rip wrote:
People are also tired of the progressive game that typically begins when a liberal feigns being offended, followed by the filing of a lawsuit to seek “damages” and eventually ends when the speaker is silenced.
I thought that the progressive game was Parcheesi.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The answer is pretty simple. People are sick and tired of being called on their racist views and homophobia. Trump is the first candidate to come along since perhaps President Ronald Reagan and “tell it like it is.”
Fixed the article for her.

What a load of hogwash. :roll: She's not "putting it into perspective"...unless you mean "her perspective".
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Curious. Are the Blaze at all credible? I'm not sure where or when but some where in the last few years, I got to the point where I can't read their "news" which always seemed to be lazy OpEd pretending it's news. It never his my radar in the past but for the last two years or more they seem to be at the top of every political Google news search. So I'd click on their link and get about three or four paragraphs in before I realized their version of news was just lazy editorializing. I'd never click on the link to get their facts but that quote tells me nothing, which just my bias against that site wasting top new headlines on Google news search.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wiki wrote:TheBlaze is an independent news and entertainment television network and website founded by talk radio personality Glenn Beck.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It just reads like all the other "boo hoo, we're victims of political correctness because you won't let us discriminate against blacks, hispanics and gays anymore!" crap off which breitbart and drudge make their money.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote:Curious. Are the Blaze at all credible? I'm not sure where or when but some where in the last few years, I got to the point where I can't read their "news" which always seemed to be lazy OpEd pretending it's news. It never his my radar in the past but for the last two years or more they seem to be at the top of every political Google news search. So I'd click on their link and get about three or four paragraphs in before I realized their version of news was just lazy editorializing. I'd never click on the link to get their facts but that quote tells me nothing, which just my bias against that site wasting top new headlines on Google news search.
No. They're the NY Post, only slightly more unhinged.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Wiki wrote:TheBlaze is an independent news and entertainment television network and website founded by talk radio personality Glenn Beck.
And there we go.

El Guapo wrote:No. They're the NY Post, only slightly more unhinged.

The post never show up in my news searches. The Blaze are always all over the top of front page and I (used) to tend to thing the top 5 or 10 stories in a Google news search would be the relevant. Not so much any more.
Rip

Post by Rip »

They aren't trying to disguise it as news.

Reading is fundamental.
TheBlaze contributor channel supports an open discourse on a range of views. The opinions expressed in this channel are solely those of each individual author.
OPINIONS!
raydude

Post by raydude »

El Guapo wrote:
LordMortis wrote:Curious. Are the Blaze at all credible? I'm not sure where or when but some where in the last few years, I got to the point where I can't read their "news" which always seemed to be lazy OpEd pretending it's news. It never his my radar in the past but for the last two years or more they seem to be at the top of every political Google news search. So I'd click on their link and get about three or four paragraphs in before I realized their version of news was just lazy editorializing. I'd never click on the link to get their facts but that quote tells me nothing, which just my bias against that site wasting top new headlines on Google news search.
No. They're the NY Post, only slightly more unhinged.
I thought I'd give the article the benefit of the doubt and started reading. Then I saw that she linked to Breitbart as a source for her "verifiable facts" to back up Trump's claims of illegals and their criminal activity. So I sighed and gave Breit the benefit of the doubt and tried to find their source for statistics. Then I found this gem
The only options Americans are left with is to use anecdotal data
and I punched out.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Rip wrote:They aren't trying to disguise it as news.

Reading is fundamental.
TheBlaze contributor channel supports an open discourse on a range of views. The deranged opinions expressed in this channel are solely those of each individual author.
DERANGED OPINIONS!
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I heard something at the gym, didn't see what channel was on, that the rest of the GOP might like Trump in the race at this point because they all look moderate by comparison. It would be amusing if true.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Reading is fundamental.
TheBlaze contributor channel supports an open discourse on a range of views.
OPINIONS!
That range is pretty limited.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Reading is fundamental.
TheBlaze contributor channel supports an open discourse on a range of views. The opinions expressed in this channel are solely those of each individual author.
OPINIONS!
Then why is theblaze at the top of Google news feeds and not just listed as some blog?

/To the Internet!!!

so Google says

http://www.google.com/intl/en_us/about_google_news.html
Google News is a computer-generated news site that aggregates headlines from news sources worldwide, groups similar stories together and displays them according to each reader's personalized interests.
I can't figure out how Google defines what a news site is but I found some of this interesting

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/feb/25/1

http://www.mondaynote.com/archive/archi ... heir-scale
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Immigration is shaping up as a major issue among Republicans. It polls as their #3 concern, higher than healthcare (a bad sign for the ACA repealers).

They divide into two camps: The pro-business mainstream who see immigrants as a valuable source of cheap labor, and the xenophobic tea party wing who see immigrants as a threat to their livelihoods and values.

Wingnuts dominate primaries, hence Trump's ascendency. Immigration serves as a litmus test for how far to the right a candidate leans.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Reading is fundamental.
OPINIONS!
Google The Blaze and see what words come before opinion in the title link.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Alefroth wrote:

Reading is fundamental.
OPINIONS!
Google The Blaze and see what words come before opinion in the title link.
TheBlaze - Breaking news and opinion
TheBlaze
TheBlaze
Television network
TheBlaze is an independent news and entertainment television network and website founded by talk radio personality Glenn Beck.
Again, some good has come from this for me though. Now I know why I've learned to loathe seeing them top my news searches and I know Rip is wading out past the credibility deep end when he posts a link to them.

/GI Joe PSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pele5vptVgc
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Look for a 'Personalize' button on the Google News page. Hit it and find 'Adjust Sources'. In the text box, type, copt, etc. TheBlaze.com and hit the +. It is now in the slider list and you can move it to the left for 'Rarely'. Save and enjoy.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:Look for a 'Personalize' button on the Google News page. Hit it and find 'Adjust Sources'. In the text box, type, copt, etc. TheBlaze.com and hit the +. It is now in the slider list and you can move it to the left for 'Rarely'. Save and enjoy.
I was reading about that sort of thing in one of links I was looking at. It's something I plan on experimenting with... Except I turned off a lot of the advance features of cookiedom in Firefox recently... Which devil do I go with? (I'll experiment and find out)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

stessier wrote:I heard something at the gym, didn't see what channel was on, that the rest of the GOP might like Trump in the race at this point because they all look moderate by comparison. It would be amusing if true.
Out of your own back yard :P

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/l ... 19956.html
It's not mentioned in that article, but he also called Trump a "wrecking ball".

A party of one does not make consensus of course, out of 68 Republicans running for President, but I could see how others would be embarrassed to be in the same fighting pit, if you will, with him.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I had no idea these were real. I suddenly feel like I need a commemorative Trump Piñata.

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Oh, now that is spectacular. What a brilliant idea.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet_pissr wrote:he also called Trump a "wrecking ball".
And now I have a Trump/Miley mashup in my head. Thanks for that.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: The saner voices of the GOP are terrified of him. He won't win as the majority of Americans realize that to vote for him, you'd have to be bat shit insane, but he will steal votes from legitimate, non-psychotic candidates.
Well, I'm pretty sure the Republicans would only put up one candidate in the general election, so if that be Trump, there is no "legitimate, non-psychotic candidates" (does the Republican Party even have any such beasts?) unless the primary loser decides to pull an Adlai Stevenson Jr. and sacrifice himself in the general election forcing a split in the Republican vote. But that would take a candidate with integrity -- I just don't see it among this bunch.
Black Lives Matter
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Democrats in open primary states are sure to vote for Trump, although Republicans could then vote for Bernie Sanders (who appears to be the anti-Trump).
There is no hug button. Sad!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

killbot737 wrote:although Republicans could then vote for Bernie Sanders (who appears to be the anti-Trump).

Yes please.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

killbot737 wrote:Democrats in open primary states are sure to vote for Trump, although Republicans could then vote for Bernie Sanders (who appears to be the anti-Trump).
Sanders is not remotely comparable to Trump. Sanders is to the left of Clinton, as Trump is to the right of mainstream GOP candidates, but Sanders is sane and respectable, and a plausible President, while Trump is a joke candidate (though plausibly sane if you assume that his candidacy is a publicity stunt).
Black Lives Matter.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I think that's why he's contrasting, not comparing.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Alefroth wrote:I think that's why he's contrasting, not comparing.
He's presenting Republicans voting for Sanders as the at least rough equivalent of democrats voting for Trump. But my point is just that Sanders and Trump are so different that those are quite different things.
Black Lives Matter.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I was contrasting.

Sanders seems sane, well reasoned, and not ready to grind my bones to make his bread/brain tonic after declaring bankruptcy on my body.

I saw the same sort of insane rage against the poor (Takers!) inside Mitt Romney, but he was much better at hiding it. Luckily he was also incapable of acting like a human in any other way.

Trump suffers from assmouth syndrome (spews a lot of shit), and I am experiencing a lot of schadenfreude when the other Republican candidates try to dance around his statements.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's interesting that Trump is the Republican other Republicans are willing to attack from his Left, if only on the issue of not condemning all immigrants as criminal tools of the Mexican government.

If Trump is as smart as he says he is, he'll seize other issues and stake out the Right edge of the field. He could stay in the game a long time by securing *that* border.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Today the Trump campaign tweeted this patriotic image...

Enlarge Image