Windows 9, er, 10.

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Lorini

Re: Windows 9, er, 10.

Post by Lorini »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Krebs
This brilliant new feature, which Microsoft has dubbed Wi-Fi Sense, doesn’t share your WiFi network password per se — it shares an encrypted version of that password. But it does allow anyone in your Skype or Outlook or Hotmail contacts lists to waltz onto your Wi-Fi network — should they ever wander within range of it or visit your home (or hop onto it secretly from hundreds of yards away with a good ‘ole cantenna!).
Thanks, then I'll turn it back on. There's no one that I would add to my contacts that I would care about them having it. The issue is though is that now adding someone to your contacts means adding them to your wifi. I don't see a personal issue with that, but certainly WifiSense should have been opt-in.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It is opt in for new networks. On an upgrade, you get auto opted in. That's a poor choice on MS's part.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I just get failed - error 80070005. Google produced this advice:
Step-by-step instruction

Error code 80070005 is caused by a number of factors some of which include an error in the DCOM configuration or the Automatic Updates service. You can begin to solve the problem by seeking verification for the DCOM configuration. To do this simply click on Start on your main toolbar on the desktop and then choose Run from the pop-up menu. When the Command Prompt appears type in dcomcnfg and then press the Enter key. When the Component Services window opens double click on the Component Services folder and then double click on the Computers folder. Right click on My Computer and then choose Properties from the drop down menu. When the Properties window opens click on the COM Security tab and then click on Edit Default and then check to see that the correct accounts are listed

In the event that one of your accounts is missing you can simply click on Add and then choose Advanced. Click on Locations and then choose Local Computer Name and then choose OK. Proceed to click on Find Now and then press down the CTRL key on your keyboard. Choose the correct Account Names and click OK twice.Under User Names choose the account that you added and then choose Local Access in the Permissions area and then place a check mark in the Allow column and then click OK.

Once you complete this process it is necessary to confirm the default settings for DCOM. You can do this by choosing the Default Propertiestab and make sure Enable Distributed COM has a check mark placed inside the selection box,Identifyis checked under Default Impersonation, and Connect has a check mark under Default Authentication and then click OK. Restart your computer when you have completed this process.
The problem is I normally have somne idea what I'm doing, and I have no idea what this means. When I get to "Choose the correct Account Names and click OK twice", that list is about 30 or 40 items long. I'm not doing this if I have to do it blindly. Any help?
I have but one advocate.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Successfully updated the Win7pro bootcamp partition on my 2010 MacBook Pro. I had to reinstall the various bootcamp drivers, but all the built-in hardware is now functioning. Gonna fiddle with it for a few weeks before I make the decision for my gaming rig. I skipped the line and downloaded the installation to a USB key so I can use it again.

Hammered all the privacy settings down as far as they'll go (and turned off Cortana). With Microsoft's insistence of a camera for the Xbone and all the free sharing of your data on Win10 I'm pretty sure they're just a division of the NSA now.

Or aliens. OBEY :ninja: :mrgreen:
Black Lives Matter
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Also, since the upgrade to 10 is failing, Windows Update will no longer install optional or important updates to 7 without trying to install 10, even if I uncheck the upgrade. This is stupid.
I have but one advocate.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

JetFred wrote:Also, since the upgrade to 10 is failing, Windows Update will no longer install optional or important updates to 7 without trying to install 10, even if I uncheck the upgrade. This is stupid.
You can use the Windows 10 download tool to bypass doing it via Windows Update (this was mentioned in a previous post):

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

Which security are you using? I use ESET and it wouldn't let a Windows Defender update install, which stopped Windows 10 from installing via Windows Update. It really caused me a lot of issues as I figured I'd just do it via the downloader above (which did install Windows 10) but then I got a blue screen of death on reboot due to an ESET driver (which I had to delete). Once I did that I couldn't get connected to the internet until I uninstalled/reinstalled ESET a couple of times. So, my advice is to uninstall any third party security before doing the install :)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I tried the windows download tool. Did not work for me, nor did the ISO. Dookie.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Need more info than that if you'd like us to try to help.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I'm apparently having some deeper permissions problem on my computer. The two other symptoms are that IE will no longer run except as administrator, and it sets off the Malwarebytes toolbarservices warning, but Mwb doesn't actually find or remove it and it hasn't hijacked my default search engine. In other words, IE is sort of broke, but I mean who cares? I did spend a while looking for a solution, though, and Windows permissions on a one-user one-account home desktop don't make sense to me.
I have but one advocate.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

JetFred wrote:I'm apparently having some deeper permissions problem on my computer. The two other symptoms are that IE will no longer run except as administrator, and it sets off the Malwarebytes toolbarservices warning, but Mwb doesn't actually find or remove it and it hasn't hijacked my default search engine. In other words, IE is sort of broke, but I mean who cares? I did spend a while looking for a solution, though, and Windows permissions on a one-user one-account home desktop don't make sense to me.
Given your earlier 0x80070005 update error, I'd suggest using the SubInACL tool to reset all the relevant file and registry permissions back to their default values. If possible, I'd also suggest you create a system restore point prior to attempting the procedure, just to err on the side of caution.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zaxxon wrote:Need more info than that if you'd like us to try to help.
I tried using the media creation tool several times, but I always get the following error:

'Setup couldn't start properly. Please reboot your PC and try running Windows 10 setup again'

I read quite a few posts online about the issue. Tried increasing amount of space on install drive to >30GB, re-ran, same thing.
Tried using a different profile (USER) since perhaps a corrupted profile was causing it: same thing

I suspect the reason that I have been getting failures on several Windows updates for the past...2 months maybe? has to do with this, but not sure.

One of the others solutions online that I tried, was deleting old versions of Windows (backed up install files), which also didn't work.

Unless someone has some magic cure here (which would be lovely), I guess my only option at this point is to do a reinstall/repair of Win 7 and try again. Was kinda hoping 10 would install over, and correct the problems I suspected I was having, like ME did for my Win 98 install, but nay.

EDIT: trying one more thing, checksur.exe
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Saw this on Blues and don't remember it being mentioned yet - WUDO where Microsoft goes all torrent-style on us.
-mf
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Noticed another issue last night. Since I've got multiple monitors at work that are enormous, I typically have many windows open at once, and use the keyboard shortcuts to snap them in to various locations. It works the same on Win7 as it does in Win10, except that Win10 lets you snap to quarters.

Anyway, I noticed last night that Chrome seems to be freezing up on me sometimes when I snap it to one of the sides, and it appears to be snapping to the wrong side (or at least it thinks it's the wrong side). Other times it works perfectly.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
malchior

Post by malchior »

My first of 4 machines got prompted to upgrade on Friday. It ran through the process for about 30 minutes and then went to reboot and failed - then decided to rollback to Windows 7 - and left it in an unbootable state. I had to use rescue tools to fix it. Not the best upgrade I've ever had. :)

My second one went fine and still waiting on the next 2. Ironically my newest and fastest machine running 8.1...still hasn't gotten the download. I'm not in a hurry to upgrade it since it works fine but I thought that was funny in a way.

Unsurprisingly my wife's Surface Pro 3 (not counted in the 4) got it immediately upon availability. Her upgrade went flawlessly and it seems to have made significant improvements in usability and speed on it.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

MonkeyFinger wrote:Saw this on Blues and don't remember it being mentioned yet - WUDO where Microsoft goes all torrent-style on us.
You can switch off the P2P updates. There is a setting that limits the P2P to your local network, so if you have multiple Win10 devices on the network it should actually save bandwidth on your internet connection.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I installed Windows 10 yesterday and everything went smoothly. So far, so good except that Windows File Explorer seems extremely slow. For example, if I change how the files are sorted (say by date rather than by name), it takes a few seconds to sort the files. In Windows 8.1, it would be almost automatic. Anyone else having this issue?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Check your indexing settings.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Interesting that someone else had permissions issues come up. Initially at upgrade mine was fine but yesterday I discovered my entire documents folder was no longer accessible which I discovered when I tried to fire up AOW3 and it couldn't write to the My Games folder and thus refused to run. I will try the fix that AB posted and see if that helps. I had already started to manually change the permissions, but this seems like a more thorough way to do it.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Please let me know how that turns out.
I have but one advocate.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lost child user settings
Child-friendly Family Features from Windows 7 and 8 won’t be recognised or accepted in the new operating system.

Rather, children using Windows 10 PCs are seen as standard users; no dedicated child-user account exists.

That means any existing age-related website controls, app and game restrictions, PC time limits, plus your ability to view recent activity, won’t work on Windows 10.

Adults must now create a completely new set of family settings through a long-winded procedure in Windows 10 that requires the child’s participation.

Microsoft had explained the new controls, here, but the details will be lost on many millions following Microsoft’s advice to run Windows 10 on existing PCs.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The procedure isn't that long winded, and if you're managing your child's PC access to that degree you probably don't need their participation to check their email.

On the other hand, it all has to be done with online Microsoft accounts. It can't be done locally. That means, amongst other things, that your child account can't be opted out of some of the privacy issues that come with signing in through an online account.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Enough

Post by Enough »

JetFred wrote:Please let me know how that turns out.
Even though after I changed ownership of the borked folders it wasn't working, I decided to reset permissions on the root one more time (even re-doing ownership settings/not just permissions) before trying the tool AB posted. The good news is for some reason it worked this time. I may have messed up a keypress last time or maybe it was just good mojo but I am now all set on my permission issues.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
tgb

Post by tgb »

If I didn't reserve W10, can I get it now or do I have to wait?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yes. Read up a bit in this thread.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yes it u can, that is.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I am seriously going to kill my computer.

Storm a'comin', shut down computer.
Restart computer.
Automatically trying to download Windows 10. There are other updates available.
Stop Windows 10 download.
Uncheck Windows 10, check optional updates. Try again is the only choice available.
Automatically trying to download Windows 10. Stuck forever. Restart.
Preparing to configure your computer. Stuck forever. Nasty restart.
Windows Live ($%&@ me) failed to log in (don't ask me why I care). Restart.
Your computer is ready for Windows 10! Schedule upgrade.
Trying to download Windows 10. Stuck forever. There are other updates available.
Windows cannot update system files while they are in use. Restart.
Automatically trying to download Windows 10. There are other updates available.
GOTO storm a'comin'.
I have but one advocate.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

How do I tell it never mind, never try again?
I have but one advocate.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Oh sure, now it says it's ready. And I didn't agree and I didn't schedule the upgrade and dumb old me restarted again and now it's doing something that's taking forever. I've never called myself a power user, but I usually have some idea what's up. This is making me feel like a moron.
I have but one advocate.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Nope. Stuck forever, nasty restart. Although it claims to have successfully installed the optional updates anyway. Who knows?

On the other hand, my wife's year-old HP Split is halfway through the upgrade with no hitches so far. I may regret it. What/when is this "free" upgrade going to cost us?

Okay, I'll stop spamming the thread now. I'm just really sick of watching Windows screw around for hours while I have to keep stopping everything else I'm trying to do on the computer.
I have but one advocate.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote:The procedure isn't that long winded, and if you're managing your child's PC access to that degree you probably don't need their participation to check their email.

On the other hand, it all has to be done with online Microsoft accounts. It can't be done locally. That means, amongst other things, that your child account can't be opted out of some of the privacy issues that come with signing in through an online account.
There are a couple issues for me in the changes to family safety.

First, we've lost granularity on the screen time options. Now it's just screen time starts here and ends here and you have this much time. Before I could allow a window in the morning and another in the afternoon and all day on the weekends. Now it's one continuous window per day.

Second, when he is out of the window it says ask a parent for more time. Previously there was a "my parent is here" button and I could enter my password and give him some time. Now, that option doesn't appear. The language of the message seems like it ought to be there, so maybe it's a defect.

It looks like there may be changes to blocking apps and websites, but we haven't run into specific cases there to judge what has happened. Based on my observations above, I am not hopeful.

On the other hand, the upgrade appears to have gone smoothly on both computers (except I had to reload the video driver on one) and I am up and running and haven't been too annoyed with what I have seen so far. I used Edge a little bit and yep, it's a browser.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

HP Split is now throwing BSOD regularly with storport.sys errors that weren't there before the upgrade. I was occasionally getting it with iastora.sys errors, but all hardware checks out. What device driver am I waiting for to fix the storport errors?

EDIT: I hope I fixed it by changing page file settings. Now if I could find a fix for the system service exception (iastora.sys).
I have but one advocate.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

JetFred wrote:HP Split is now throwing BSOD regularly with storport.sys errors that weren't there before the upgrade. I was occasionally getting it with iastora.sys errors, but all hardware checks out. What device driver am I waiting for to fix the storport errors?

EDIT: I hope I fixed it by changing page file settings. Now if I could find a fix for the system service exception (iastora.sys).
If memory serves, iaStorA.sys and StorPort.sys are both part of Intel's SSD RAID drivers. So it may behoove you to try downloading and installing the latest version of their RST drivers, and see if that rectifies the problem.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Thanks for the reminder. I did this about a month ago, but not since upgrading last night, and they have a newer version posted now.
I have but one advocate.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm still getting the accessibility bug where if I leave my PC alone for an extended period of time, when I try to log back in my keyboard is set up for some sort of accessibility mode and doesn't type correctly. Narrator turns itself on as well. The only way I've figured out how to fix it is to reboot, which is a pain.

I think I'll just try turning off any power saving sleep features tonight to see if that helps.
WarPig

Post by WarPig »

I thought I was good on my upgrade on my home desktop until I forgot to put my PC to sleep for the night and woke to a blue screen MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. I restart, everything works for hours, no problem. Go to lunch and come back after it being idle for an hour or so to the same error. Restart, works fine again and I leave it for the night. Wake in the morning to the same error.

Finally, this morning I'm sitting in my office on my work PC and go to play some music on my home Win10 PC and it's frozen. No mouse, no keyboard, the screen is on the desktop, just won't respond to anything. I let it sit for a few minutes and up comes my blue screen error. Now, I haven't had a blue screen in Windows 7 in I'd say at least a year. Upgrade and they happen all the time.

Research points to a hardware issue or driver issue. Possibly programs installed. So I'm going through and uninstalling stuff; noticing that driver versions of most things have been changed to the windows version and release (10.0.10240.16384) instead of their original driver versions so Windows thinks all of my hardware drivers are up to date.

I'm just venting; seriously considering rolling back.
"Your test assignment will vary depending on the manner in which you have bent the world to your will." - Cave Johnson
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ok, signed up for the free Windows 10 upgrade and tried installing this morning but unfortunately I got the following error message:

C1900101-4000D

I don't know why companies give this obscure error messages because they really don't mean anything that anyone can tell. It doesn't really tell you anything specific as to what the problem is or how to fix it. Apparently, from reading various forum posts on the same issue, there are a number of different steps that could be taken that might fix it, but I just really can't be bothered with any of them. It's not just worth to me to spend half day trying to fix MS lame upgrade.

Sorry, MS, epic fail here. I'll just wait until I get a new PC in a year or two. And given some of the other problems people here are reporting after installation, that may be for the best. I'm long past the time of when it was fun to try and figure this stuff out. We shouldn't have to be doing this researching and fixing and tweaking now.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Just upgraded and for some reason I have lost the ability to change my monitor resolution. I'm stuck in 1024x768 hell but my drivers are all up to date, according to W10. :evil:

Edit - Got it. Had to reinstall the Nvidia / GeForce software altogether. :roll:
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

My upgrade is ready for me to schedule it... just not sure I'm ready to go down that rabbit hole quite yet. :|
-mf
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Based on three computers in my house, I give the experience a meh out of 10. One worked but needed every freaking driver manually checked to stop throwing BSOD. One repeatedly refuses to upgrade, for no consistent reason. And one hasn't offered it yet.
I have but one advocate.