Pillars of Eternity from Obsidian

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jag

Re: Pillars of Eternity from Obsidian

Post by Jag »

So start fresh for expansion or continue with existing party?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I'm not jumping up and down with excitement to play this expansion, so I'll probably grab it when it goes on sale.

When I do get it, on the one hand, I kind of want to replay the game with a new character. On the other hand, I spent way too much time staring at loading screens on my first play through, so maybe I'll just send in my dwarf to mop up instead.
Black Lives Matter
KDH

Post by KDH »

Zaxxon wrote:On a related note, watch the documentary on the same topic. That's part 1, and here's part 2. The rest I believe you have to have been a backer to see.

Image .... part 3 (5:13)
Ain't nobody got time for that
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Today is The White March Part 1 Day. Anyone else jumping in? If so, make sure to avoid the mistake I made, and buy the pass for both parts rather than just part 1. $5 off that way.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Zaxxon wrote:Today is The White March Part 1 Day. Anyone else jumping in? If so, make sure to avoid the mistake I made, and buy the pass for both parts rather than just part 1. $5 off that way.
I'll wait till both are available. Too many games on tap
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I already own the expansion from the Kickstarter so I will be giving it a look later today.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Lordnine wrote:I already own the expansion from the Kickstarter so I will be giving it a look later today.
High roller!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Zaxxon wrote:
Lordnine wrote:I already own the expansion from the Kickstarter so I will be giving it a look later today.
High roller!
I think it was only an extra $20 to add the expansion to your pledge…
Last edited by Lordnine on Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It was the $165 pledge. Didn't realize you could also add it a LA carte.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Yep, just found my pledge amount. $40 total for the base game and full (both parts) of the expansion.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice. Wish I had the foresight to have done that.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So if you get the expansions do you have to start over? Any new classes?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I haven't started yet but my understanding is it continues the game. New companions, weapon types, and I believe classes. I've purposefully avoided most previews, so my info may be suspect.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

From the IGN review I gathered that it actually takes place before the end-game. So if you started from the beginning you would run into this content on your journey to complete the game. If you've already finished the game, however, it's just additional stuff that supposedly took place during your previous campaign that you didn't actually do since it didn't exist yet. IGN likened it to finishing a book, and then the author releases some additional chapters that happen to go in the middle.

Honestly, it made me want the expansion less. I'm not going to start the game from scratch to experience the new content chronologically, but the idea of just running through some extra content that doesn't really matter isn't very appealing.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That is weird.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have saves from Act 1 through Act 4. Need to figure out the sweet spot to run the DLC.

I came in near the end of Act 2, and could see nothing new on the world map. Where do I find the new content?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Jaymann wrote:I have saves from Act 1 through Act 4. Need to figure out the sweet spot to run the DLC.

I came in near the end of Act 2, and could see nothing new on the world map. Where do I find the new content?
You should have received a notice that a letter arrived for you back at your keep. Go there and you will unlock two new areas to the northeast.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Well I am starting over from the beginning. I stopped around Act 2, as the announcement of the expansion came out.

But what is part 2 going to be? Is it just more like Part 1, or does it expand the ending, or add to Part 1?
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Have to admit I'm a little bummed that they took this route. Effectively, folks who actually completed PoE have to backtrack to an earlier save, go complete this content (and presumably White March Part 2--which won't be out for several months) before re-completing the game. And then if there's another expansion, will the same hold true?

Also bummed to find from reviews that the base game's deep backstories for companions aren't quite carried through with the expansion folks, largely due to the way it's structured.

I'm still excited to play it, but can't help wondering WTF they chose to do it this way rather than pushing forward past the end of the base game. On the bright side, those of you who haven't yet gotten into PoE have an even larger game to look forward to!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

RMC wrote:But what is part 2 going to be? Is it just more like Part 1, or does it expand the ending, or add to Part 1?
Sounds like it adds 4 locations including 2 dungeons to Act 2, and is accessed via a note you receive from your Caed Nua steward.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zaxxon wrote:
RMC wrote:But what is part 2 going to be? Is it just more like Part 1, or does it expand the ending, or add to Part 1?
Sounds like it adds 4 locations including 2 dungeons to Act 2, and is accessed via a note you receive from your Caed Nua steward.
Ugh... Well then I guess I can play up to Act 2, and then stop before Act 3. Well, that is a little crappy.

Did they improve the Castle part of the game at all? Once I upgraded the silly thing, there wasn't a bunch to do, and my 'Allies' sometimes would turn on me and I would have to kill them as well as the bad guys when I participated in an attack.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ugh. You have to load an earlier save? Seriously?

I was still considering it just to go back and play some new content, but there's no way in hell I'm going to load an earlier save to do so. They lost a sale.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Huh, I guess it was good I got distracted from this game then, as I just completed Act I. It seems like, if I am going to play this expansion, I should do it now.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

YellowKing wrote:Ugh. You have to load an earlier save? Seriously?

I was still considering it just to go back and play some new content, but there's no way in hell I'm going to load an earlier save to do so. They lost a sale.
That's been my fight. If I bought something at launch and finished it, I was unlikely to go back when the expansion dropped. It's either get it when everything's released, or only play the base game.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I pulled up a save deep into Act 3 and still got the DLC when I backtracked to my stronghold. There was an additional side quest not mentioned when I was only in Act 2, so perhaps it keys on how far you have progressed. Works for me since my party is full strength.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Loaded my game from just before I jumped into the Abyss.

Long load times and battle-heavy early into the new quests. Might take me a while to recall my deep and effectual stratergies as it's been a while ...
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Same here. The AI packages are cool, but will take a lot of getting used to.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Well I started a new game as an Elf Druid. I am going to play through Act 2, and then maybe stop until the next expansion is released.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

When you get to the White March it evaluates if you are"High Level" and gives you the option of playing High Level for more challenge or Standard. The rewards are the same either way. The Craigholdt side quest did not have this option (it was difficult for a level 12 party).
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Patch 2.01 available for Steam

Glad to see the load times being addressed.

---
This patch fixes many minor issues that came up before and after launch of The White March - Part I. We have also done optimizations to save/loads and area transitions performance. Please provide feedback if you notice a difference.
As always, there are many more fixes than listed.

Major Fixes

Party members will now default to AI: On and Instruction Set: None.
Many optimizations to save/load and area transitions performance. Some users are reporting a 20% decrease in load times.
Blurry text in UI has been fixed.
Problems with the stash not properly containing items that have been looted is now fixed.

Abilities

Dragon Leap should now break engagement properly.
Coordinated Positioning range increased from 2m to 2.5m.
Fixed stacking issue with Weapon Specialization and Weapon Mastery and both can now be applied to the same attack.
Based on player's feedback we made tweaks to improve AI packages for Monks, Druids, and Ciphers.
Instruction sets for Druids, Wizards, and Priests will now use lower level spells at higher frequencies.
Ciphers will not use Whispers of Treason on single enemies.
Many small fixes to spell and ability tooltips and descriptions.

Items

Stormcaller's 1st requirement lowered to 250 shock damage. 2nd requirement lowered to 5 druids defeated.
Greenstone Staff 1st requirement lowered to 125 damage vs. beetles. 2nd requirement lowered to 5 blights defeated.
St. Ydwen's 1st requirement lowered to 200 damage vs. spirits. 2nd requirement lowered to 10 vessels defeated.
Item mod Draining will be restored properly after a save/load.
Added the White Forge crafting icon.

Quests

A Lovely Drop quest is not failed if Haeferic dies after the party obtains the antidote ingredients.
Haeferic now reacts properly after imprisoning Ailef.
Lurgold is properly removed from the Fishery after the fight with Grynde during the day.
The dexterity check in the conversation with Sweynur will only show up if the player has a blade.

Miscellaneous Notes

Added missing ambient audio to Durgan's Battery dungeon.
Updated many creatures' bestiary entries with correct abilities.
Ogre Battery Cannoneers now use Rogue abilities instead of Ranger abilities.
Added Concelhaut's Draining Missiles to Ironclapsed Grimoire.
Druid-Wolf Suldrun now scales for high level content mode.
Fixed issue with Fog of War behaving incorrectly in some scenes (Aufra's house) if a player used
an older save game.
Several improvements and tweaks to area background art, including Cragholdt.
Solo Achievement is disabled correctly if Zahua or The Devil of Caroc is added to the party.
Fixed Kana's conversation when he is in the White March areas.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Some White March/2.01 Impressions:

- think Icewind Dale instead of BG ... which is fine for me as I liked them both ... not just in setting,
but also in feel.
- two new characters to join the party, which I am doing. After all, I must have ALL the content ;)
- I haven't figured out soul-sorged weapons yet (dagnabit)
- 'tis indeed somewhat quicker for load times
- quicksave is now ~ 3 seconds instead of ~6
- a few quirky bugs, still, but none yet that are stoppers; mostly just irksome
e.g.
- checking on a stronghold mission already in progress should have a recall button but sometimes
displays 'assign'. rest assured that clicking 'assign' will cancel the mission.

It's bone (random Ice Cream Star reference).
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I started a new game to see where the White March letter would kick in. It was right after I exited from from the catacombs in Defiant Bay. Not sure if it was tied to that specifically or a generic level requirement. I also received Craigholdt at the same time.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

That's some pretty good dedication .. "just" to find that out :clap:
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Ah, ok. Soulbound weapons will level based on their own, particular criteria. Generally, it looks like getting the weapons 'bound' as early as possible let you max their power.
Spoiler:
One needs a journey to break a curse an allow you to unequip the weapon; others seem to just need a 'do x to get to the next level.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jolor wrote:Ah, ok. Soulbound weapons will level based on their own, particular criteria. Generally, it looks like getting the weapons 'bound' as early as possible let you max their power.
Spoiler:
One needs a journey to break a curse an allow you to unequip the weapon; others seem to just need a 'do x to get to the next level.
Soulbound weapons are nice, but after you finish Durgan's Battery...
Spoiler:
They can't be enchanted and I only had one weapon that could be upgraded at the forge.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Tao

Post by Tao »

50% off on Steam right now. Somehow doubt it will go much lower than 60% even during a deep holiday sale, torn between waiting or grabbing it now the an extra 5 or so bucks.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Buy it. You won't regret it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jag

Post by Jag »

I may actually have to replay the entire game with the expansions. So weird how they are just shoved into the mid-game.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jag wrote:I may actually have to replay the entire game with the expansions. So weird how they are just shoved into the mid-game.
Yes, I agree. That turned me off to them initially, so I let the game rest. When this hits, maybe I'll be ready to start fresh.