Volkswagen

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

stessier

Re: Volkswagen

Post by stessier »

Jeff V wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
Jeff V wrote: Can we take them on long road trips yet?
I'm not sure whether Jeff V can, but lots of people have no problem with Teslas, at least.
So they can take them on 1000 mile + road trips? Is the time to charge them down to the same as filling a tank with gas?
Yes, they go much more than 1000 mile road trips. No, not as fast as a gas tank, but as fast as stopping for a snack/meal. Again, this is for non-JeffV humans.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Something like 30-40 min stop every 3 hours or so as long as there are superchargers on your route. Not optimal, but worth consideration.

How often do you make 1000 mile road trips? I did a 500 mile one way drive with my gas car this summer... I don't think I'll drive 1000 at any time ever. I've done 800+ 3 times in my life and two of those were with my car on a trailer behind a rental truck.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Don't bring logic into a Jeff V tirade a brewin.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Guys, if we can't drive an electric car around the world (including over water) at 100mph without stopping once RIGHT NOW, it's not worth continuing down the path of developing them.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote:Something like 30-40 min stop every 3 hours or so as long as there are superchargers on your route. Not optimal, but worth consideration.

How often do you make 1000 mile road trips? I did a 500 mile one way drive with my gas car this summer... I don't think I'll drive 1000 at any time ever. I've done 800+ 3 times in my life and two of those were with my car on a trailer behind a rental truck.
1 time in 10 years.

But I don't travel much.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm not sure how this would even be worded on the JeffV List (if I had the energy to still maintain it). Would it be failure to achieve perfection immediately? Or simply "electric bad!"?
Last edited by hepcat on Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You're getting lazy in your middle age.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote:I'm not sure how this would even be worded on the JeffV List (if I had the energy to still maintain it). Would it be failure to achieve perfection immediately? Or simply "electric bad!"?
"Anything you can like I can hate better" ?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Maybe "The Donald" can get VW and Germany to take all of our future Syrian immigrants in exchange for giving them a "bye" on this one. :mrgreen:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

stessier wrote:
Jeff V wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
I'm not sure whether Jeff V can, but lots of people have no problem with Teslas, at least.
So they can take them on 1000 mile + road trips? Is the time to charge them down to the same as filling a tank with gas?
Yes, they go much more than 1000 mile road trips. No, not as fast as a gas tank, but as fast as stopping for a snack/meal. Again, this is for non-JeffV humans.
No, he mentioned replacing all cars, which means all uses. My current car has been on 3 trips more than 1,000 miles away, and a whole bunch greater than 300 miles. Taking an hour break every few hours just won't cut it. And aren't most electric cars still in the <100 mile range? I seem to recall the Chevys aren't even suitable for commuting to work, I'd run out of power before I made it home.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote:
stessier wrote:
Jeff V wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
No, he mentioned replacing all cars, which means all uses. My current car has been on 3 trips more than 1,000 miles away, and a whole bunch greater than 300 miles. Taking an hour break every few hours just won't cut it. And aren't most electric cars still in the <100 mile range? I seem to recall the Chevys aren't even suitable for commuting to work, I'd run out of power before I made it home.
Jeff, he said it was a step in the move. He didn't say that the move was immediate. Do you really think he was advocating going to an entire EV fleet tomorrow? Do you really think there will be no more improvement in EV technology?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote:
The Model S is somewhere around 250 miles. You'd only have to stop once a day to recharge if you drive 500 miles. That's 7+ hours of driving with one stop. If you drive 1,000 miles straight through, that is if you drive 14+ hours straight, well I guess you need combustion if you don't want to stop 3 times.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote:Maybe "The Donald" can get VW and Germany to take all of our future Syrian immigrants in exchange for giving them a "bye" on this one. :mrgreen:
I simply cannot stress how important it is for you to keep your day job.
Covfefe!
Brian

Post by Brian »

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jeff V wrote:
stessier wrote:
Jeff V wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
Stay adorable, Jeff. Image
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat wrote:
em2nought wrote:Maybe "The Donald" can get VW and Germany to take all of our future Syrian immigrants in exchange for giving them a "bye" on this one. :mrgreen:
You follow me like a little puppy, you must enjoy some aspect of it? There's not even the chance for a pat on the head or a belly rub. :mrgreen:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

hepcat wrote:
A thousand times this.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Brian wrote:Image
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

Heads continue to roll.
Volkswagen will dismiss the R&D chiefs of Audi and Porsche and its top manager in the United States where the carmaker has been found manipulating diesel emission rules, a senior source said on Thursday.

Audi R&D boss Ulrich Hackenberg, Porsche's Wolfgang Hatz and VW's U.S. chief executive Michael Horn will be dismissed at a meeting of the supervisory board on Friday, the source said.

Germany's Bild newspaper earlier on Thursday reported the dismissals of Hackenberg and Hatz.

VW, Audi and Porsche all declined comment.
Not really sure how the US CEO was supposed to be in on it - I thought all the design work was done overseas.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's probably no way he didn't know about it. You would have to work very hard to convince people, including myself, that he wasn't at least an accessory after the fact.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It might all come down to how long did they know about it - if the allegation they became generally aware internally about it in December is accurate then people at all levels of leadership were likely in the know and will suffer for not coming forward sooner. I guess it was a calculated risk. Maybe they hoped they wouldn't get caught with a hand in the cookie jar.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

In other VW news...

Volkswagen 'allowed torture' under Brazil military rule
In its final report, published in December 2014, the truth commission described the case of Volkswagen employee Lucio Bellentani.

"I was at work when two people with machine guns came up to me," the communist activist said. "They held my arms behind my back and immediately put me in handcuffs. As soon as we arrived in Volkswagen's security centre, the torture began. I was beaten, punched and slapped." According to lawyer Rosa Cardoso, 12 employees at the Sao Bernardo do Campo site near Sao Paulo were tortured, while others were laid off and placed on blacklists.

When the allegations were published in the truth commission's report last year, Volkswagen said it was "pursuing any indication of possible involvement of the employees at Volkswagen do Brasil in human rights violations during the period of military dictatorship".
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jeff V wrote:I seem to recall the Chevys aren't even suitable for commuting to work, I'd run out of power before I made it home.
I walk past a row of Chevy Volts on my way out of the parking garage in the morning. They get parking right next to the handicapped spots where they are plugged in loading up on free electricity provided by my employer. If the 40 miles they get out of that is not enough to get them home, the gas engine under the hood is happy to finish the job. The problem with the Volt is the same as the problem with the Tesla... I can't afford one (well I could afford a Volt but I am not paying that much for a car that ugly).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My coworker has a Volt. They are certainly not cheap.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

coopasonic wrote:
Jeff V wrote:I seem to recall the Chevys aren't even suitable for commuting to work, I'd run out of power before I made it home.
I walk past a row of Chevy Volts on my way out of the parking garage in the morning. They get parking right next to the handicapped spots where they are plugged in loading up on free electricity provided by my employer. If the 40 miles they get out of that is not enough to get them home, the gas engine under the hood is happy to finish the job. The problem with the Volt is the same as the problem with the Tesla... I can't afford one (well I could afford a Volt but I am not paying that much for a car that ugly).
My employer does not have such a thing. Of the 9 locations where I have responsibility, they provide a bike rack at only one, so I don't really envision this happening, ever.

I think we're still several quantum leaps in technology before electric cars are practical enough for most people. I think gas prices have to be much higher and oil reserves more critical before there is adequate research funding to make this happen. I just don't see it happening in my lifetime (remember, we were promised flying cars by now!)
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote:
My employer does not have such a thing. Of the 9 locations where I have responsibility, they provide a bike rack at only one, so I don't really envision this happening, ever.
Why would you need a bike rack for an electric car? :?
Covfefe!
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Brian wrote:Image
Fundamentally, German cars are engineered to screw their owners...
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jeff V wrote:I just don't see it happening in my lifetime (remember, we were promised flying cars by now!)
We were also promised the end of the world. One of these promises is more likely to come to fruition than the other. Side-note: Cars that fly are a thing, they are just expensive. Terrafugia and Aeromobil both have working prototypes and are happy to take your down payment now.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

coopasonic wrote:
Jeff V wrote:I just don't see it happening in my lifetime (remember, we were promised flying cars by now!)
We were also promised the end of the world. One of these promises is more likely to come to fruition than the other. Side-note: Cars that fly are a thing, they are just expensive. Terrafugia and Aeromobil both have working prototypes and are happy to take your down payment now.
But can you go 1000 miles in one?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote:
I think we're still several quantum leaps in technology before electric cars are practical enough for most people.
The only technology that needs to advance significantly is battery storage, and many companies are spending big R&D bucks on that. The impetus comes not just from EVs, but from handheld devices and solar/wind generation as well. That makes it a high-stakes area for a lot of companies in varying industries.

I agree that incremental improvements to lithium-ion batteries aren't going to cut it, but with so many players spending so much on such high-stakes research the odds for a transformational breakthrough in the near future are very good.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I honestly believe the technology will be there within the next 5 years to make electric cars competitive with their gas powered brethren. Now, whether or not the people who make their money off the current mode of transportation will allow it to gain a real foothold is another matter entirely.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote:
coopasonic wrote:

I think we're still several quantum leaps in technology before electric cars are practical enough for most people. I think gas prices have to be much higher and oil reserves more critical before there is adequate research funding to make this happen. I just don't see it happening in my lifetime (remember, we were promised flying cars by now!)
They're just getting a free 40 miles with plug-in stations at work.

Volts run on gas too, you know. That's what "plug-in hybrid" means.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote:I honestly believe the technology will be there within the next 5 years to make electric cars competitive with their gas powered brethren. Now, whether or not the people who make their money off the current mode of transportation will allow it to gain a real foothold is another matter entirely.
I figure states that ban direct sales in-state because of the outdated dealership model are going to end up on the wrong side of a Commerce Clause federal lawsuit before the decade is out.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm curious about the state of hydrogen fueled cars, too. I know they are purported to be long range in comparison to EVs. Although I believe refueling is supposed to be in line with current gas prices...which means no real savings, I guess.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Motley Fool, Sep 19, 2015
Toyota's (NYSE: TM) Mirai is an electric sedan powered by a hydrogen fuel cell, a device that chemically extracts the energy from hydrogen gas to produce electricity.

It's a clean technology -- the only "exhaust" is water vapor -- but producing hydrogen affordably isn't exactly a clean process right now. That has led many green-car enthusiasts to disparage Toyota's effort.

Toyota says that fuel cells are superior to the batteries used in electric cars like Tesla Motors'(NASDAQ: TSLA) Model S. As Toyota sees it, electric-car batteries take too long to recharge -- and that will keep battery-electric cars from ever breaking out into the mass market.

Toyota scientists say that fast recharging isn't realistic. But this past week, Audi showed off an electric SUV with Tesla-beating range that can be fully recharged in less than an hour. It'll be in production in about two years, the company says.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Toyota Mirai
Coming in Late 2015
2016 MIRAI MSRP $57,50019
Fuel Pump Icon COMPLIMENTARY FUEL FOR 3 YEARS
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Bullet point number 1:

1: Our tanks are designed not to leak.

:lol:
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

From what I've read, the Mirai, and hydrogen in general, are a joke. They are EVs with an extraneous conversion tossed in. Electricity is used to create the hydrogen cell, then it's converted back to electricity to power the car. Fundamentally, this process cannot be as efficient as a pure BEV.

Then you have much-reduced power output (read: torque), the need to visit a hydrogen station for fill-ups rather than topping off at home, and you're carrying around a literal bomb in your car.

I'll pass.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Then there's a literal bomb sitting on my back porch cooking up my chicken.

Taste the meat, not the >KABOOM<
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

How often do you drive your grill at high rates of speed? ;)