Marvel's Netflix serieses

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Marvel's Netflix serieses

Post by Isgrimnur »

For those of you behind the curve, it was announced in November that Netflix will be bringing us some Marvel comics goodness. This might actually help push some of the movies to the top of Kraken's queue, since he'll be behind the timeline if he watches these first.
Disney will provide Netflix with live action series and a miniseries featuring Marvel characters Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage set in the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell’s Kitchen, New York. Netflix has committed to at least four, 13-episode series over “multiple years,” beginning in 2015, culminating with a miniseries, The Defenders, that “reimagines a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.” The arrangement, which involves some 60 episodes produced by Marvel TV and ABC Studios, grew out of the deal that will give Netflix exclusive rights to Disney films in the premium TV window beginning in 2016.
Marvel has announced the actor to play Daredevil in the new series: Charlie Cox
Marvel is proud to announce that acclaimed actor Charlie Cox has joined "Marvel's Daredevil," an all-new 13-episode series premiering on Netflix in 2015. Best known for his acclaimed work in "Boardwalk Empire" and "Stardust," Cox will play Matt Murdock, the lead role in this all-new Marvel Television series. Blinded as a young boy but imbued with extraordinary senses, Matt Murdock fights against injustice by day as a lawyer, and by night as the super hero Daredevil in modern day Hell's Kitchen, New York City.

Marvel's first original series on Netflix is Executive Produced by series Showrunner Steven S. DeKnight ("Spartacus," "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer," "Angel") and Drew Goddard ("Cabin in the Woods," "Lost," "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer," in addition to writing the first two episodes of "Marvel's Daredevil), along with Marvel TV's Jeph Loeb ("Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.," "Smallville," "Heroes").
It's almost as if people are the problem.
rshetts2

Re: Marvel's Netflix serieses

Post by rshetts2 »

So if Im reading this right these show are all basically mini series? Daredevil gets a 13 episode run and then they move on to another? They end up binding them all into a Defenders mini series event. I wonder if any of the individual series prove to be popular, whether they have any plans to expand that series. Lets say the Daredevil series really takes off, is there hope for a 2nd season or are these all close ended? Just kind of curious as to how they plan on going with this.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I imagine that there's some language buried in the contracts about the possibility of picking them up going forward, but I have yet to hear any details about it. The interesting thing is that they've essentially ordered enough content that would normally be 2.5 seasons worth of shows up front, which most networks would shy away from.
wire

Post by wire »

I'm beginning to think that we may just being hitting the Marvel Universe overload...with several movies, a tv show and now a Netflix mini-series all I'm going to be tied in one way or another two each other it may get a bit old..quick.

I will say I'm really looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy because it's a bit different from the rest of the movies and was looking forward to Ant-Man only because of Edgar Wright. With him quitting due to Marvel interference and re-write of his script (that is what is being reported anyway) I really don't have an interest anymore.
Odin

Post by Odin »

wire wrote:I'm beginning to think that we may just being hitting the Marvel Universe overload...with several movies, a tv show and now a Netflix mini-series all I'm going to be tied in one way or another two each other it may get a bit old..quick.
It's possible that that will be the case, but I'll have to see it happen to believe it. There's so much crap on TV and so little quality programming. If they're able to make these shows entertaining, I think they'll fill a niche - TV shows that are fun to watch. It's also kind of revolutionary to have a single media universe populating across comics, movies, network TV, and now non-network TV (plus some online content as well, and digital special-features on the Blu-ray discs), which is pretty cool and laudable in my book.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Disney will provide Netflix with live action series and a miniseries featuring Marvel characters ... Jessica Jones
David Tennant cast:
The Scottish actor has been cast as Kilgrave, an enigmatic figure from the heroine’s past whose reappearance shakes her world, Marvel announced Monday.
“I’m so honored and excited by the prospect of David inhabiting this multifaceted character,” said writer-producer Melissa Rosenberg in a post on Marvel’s blog. “He can deliver the most heart-wrenching moment to the driest of lines, and all points in between. He’ll make Kilgrave a truly original villain.”

Rosenberg (“Dexter,” “Twilight”) will oversee the series, which is said to focus on Jones as she works as a private investigator in New York following a short-lived run as a superhero.

Tennant will be starring opposite Krysten Ritter, who will play the title role based on the comics character created by Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Gaydos. Actor Mike Colter will star as her love interest and fellow superhero Luke Cage.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daredevil hits on Friday.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Isgrimnur wrote:Daredevil hits on Friday.
And since I just recently started Netflix, I'll be watching. Doesn't look bad. Bet I like it more than Gotham.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Contemplations of Thunderbolts series.
According to a new report by That Hashtag Show, Marvel has identified phase 2 of their filmmaking cycle with Netflix and are contemplating developing a Thunderbolts show to debut during it.
The Thunderbolts could be Marvel's answer to the Suicide Squad, a team of anti-heroes who are able to go on a self-contained mature adventure, while simultaneously bolstering the given cinematic universe. While they would be screened on different mediums, their impact could be equally as profound.
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

Btw "series" is already plural.

/grammar nerdery
"Never write anything unless you wanted it copied and handed around. Don't speak to two people unless you are physically strong and fast enough to catch and kill both of them with bare hands." -Tareeq
"His elbow commands the sun! Bow before him!" -Two Sheds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's a joke. :P
Genghis

Post by Genghis »

Isgrimnur wrote:Daredevil hits on Friday.
Watched the series and liked it. Was not a big fan of the Kingpin, but he got better as the series went on.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Shouldn't it be "plurals"? Shouldn't it?
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ok, it's been 4 months since Daredevil. Where's my Jessica Jones? Do we have a release date or season yet?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Late 2015. :coffee:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Which would make one think a specific date would ve forthcoming anytime now.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Jessica Jones hits Netflix on 11/20/15 Huge pressure to meet the bar set by the Daredevil, imo
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Agreed. Also: woohoo! A date!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

tru1cy wrote:Jessica Jones hits Netflix on 11/20/15 Huge pressure to meet the bar set by the Daredevil, imo
That's a wonderful birthday present. Marvel is so thoughtful.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zaxxon wrote:Agreed. Also: woohoo! A date!
So where are you two lovebirds going?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

To the couch, of course! Where Netflix is best consumed!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zaxxon wrote:To the couch, of course! Where Netflix is best consumated!
FTFY
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Looking good so far
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Reemul wrote:Looking good so far
Cannot wait!
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

On music choices alone, I would watch! Thanks for the newest trailers!
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

If they just showed Krysten Ritter standing there I'd watch.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

cheeba wrote:If they just showed Krysten Ritter standing there I'd watch.
Me too. :pop:
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Looks great. The cinematography is dark but colorful at the same time.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I watched the Daredevil stuff without my wife, but she expressed a passing interest in it, so I'm going to advocate we watch it together or send her into it on her own to prep for Jessica Jones.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, we both enjoyed Daredevil, but I'm a bit nervous about Jessica Jones. It's a dark story. No idea who created this shot from the show, but they deserve a raise. It's awesome.

Enlarge Image
Last edited by Smoove_B on Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My wife watches Rick and Morty with me. I don't have concerns in that area.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not dark like Daredevil. Dark like...psychologically damaged. I don't want to say too much for fear of spoiling things, but to say she's an f-ed up character is an understatement. There's good reason for it, but if themes surrounding control (and loss of it) are problematic, this could be a bit much. That's why I'm very curious to see how they go with the story.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote:Not dark like Daredevil. Dark like...psychologically damaged. I don't want to say too much for fear of spoiling things, but to say she's an f-ed up character is an understatement. There's good reason for it, but if themes surrounding control (and loss of it) are problematic, this could be a bit much. That's why I'm very curious to see how they go with the story.
Yup, same here.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Marvel releases free Jessica Jones comic featuring Netflix's Daredevil

Now to figure out the best way to read it. I guess get the Comixology app for the iPad? Or can you read it on the PC? I need some help from the digital comic experts (man, I feel old...).
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It's like 12 pages long. I used the Comixology app, but I imagine it's short enough to be fine however you do it.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Zaxxon wrote:It's like 12 pages long. I used the Comixology app, but I imagine it's short enough to be fine however you do it.
If I have to go through setting up an account and all that, it better be worth it!