Fallout 4

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: Fallout 4

Post by coopasonic »

Coop: Hey, do the kids have school on Veteran's Day?
Wife: Yes. Isn't that a Wednesday this year? You are off work aren't you.
Coop: Yeah. I guess I can see a movie or something.
Wife: Maybe I can take the day off...
Coop: Oh wait, nevermind. Fallout 4 comes out the day before. I'll be busy.
Wife: ...

The remaining question is XB1 or PC. I am leaning towards XB1 for big screen (and sound) experience and trade-in value. It comes with a code for Fallout 3 as well, not that I need it but hey bonus.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Heh, I forgot I have that day off also!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'd be all set to play F4 for days on end, being retired and all :wink: but the weekend after release my niece is having a baby shower in another city and my wife insists I go with her. And since it's also our 36th wedding anniversary too she wants us to stay a few days there and go to fancy dinner and such. I tried to explain to her that since the 36th anniversary gift is Nuka-Cola it really would make more sense to stay home, but she's not buying it.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I got my procedure scheduled for Oct 30th so Ill be all well and playing haha. Didn't hurt they decided to go less invasive woot.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Those invasive woots are definitely hit or miss. It's a good thing they reset every night at midnight.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

jztemple2 wrote:I'd be all set to play F4 for days on end, being retired and all :wink: but the weekend after release my niece is having a baby shower in another city and my wife insists I go with her. And since it's also our 36th wedding anniversary too she wants us to stay a few days there and go to fancy dinner and such. I tried to explain to her that since the 36th anniversary gift is Nuka-Cola it really would make more sense to stay home, but she's not buying it.
You're not far from getting your own private vault :)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

jztemple2 wrote:I'd be all set to play F4 for days on end, being retired and all :wink: but the weekend after release my niece is having a baby shower in another city and my wife insists I go with her. And since it's also our 36th wedding anniversary too she wants us to stay a few days there and go to fancy dinner and such. I tried to explain to her that since the 36th anniversary gift is Nuka-Cola it really would make more sense to stay home, but she's not buying it.
This is easy - just insist on staying home that weekend. Not only will that free up this whole weekend to play Fallout 4, but it will totally free up the weekend you would otherwise have next year for your 37th anniversary.
Black Lives Matter.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

El Guapo wrote:
This is easy - just insist on staying home that weekend. Not only will that free up this whole weekend to play Fallout 4, but it will totally free up the weekend you would otherwise have next year for your 37th anniversary.
And all the weekends in between, too...
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Normann

Post by Normann »

Fallout 3 is $3.39 on Steam right now. For those who did not play it. It is a dated game for sure and you only need a black and white monitor to play it. But for $3 bucks...

I paid $20 for it a month ago. I never got to finish it when I first bought it as a day 1 purchase. But with F4 coming I wanted to finish it. It only took me 14 hours to run through the main campaign. I did no side quests though.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Normann wrote:Fallout 3 is $3.39 on Steam right now. For those who did not play it. It is a dated game for sure and you only need a black and white monitor to play it. But for $3 bucks...

I paid $20 for it a month ago. I never got to finish it when I first bought it as a day 1 purchase. But with F4 coming I wanted to finish it. It only took me 14 hours to run through the main campaign. I did no side quests though.
Does anybody have black & white monitors anymore?
There's a side quest in Fallout 3 with lots of color.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Did anyone ever have black and white monitors? Black and green, black and amber, but black and white?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

My brother's apple IIe had a black and white monitor.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Normann

Post by Normann »

I was just joking of course. I get it thought it is post apocalyptic and all that. Still it is like a black and white game. Looking at the F4 videos it looks a lot more colorful.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Normann wrote:I was just joking of course. I get it thought it is post apocalyptic and all that. Still it is like a black and white game. Looking at the F4 videos it looks a lot more colorful.
There are mods that do make F3 look more interesting. I think I ran with one on my last play. Though, personally, that kind of thing generally becomes "background noise" pretty quickly.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Normann

Post by Normann »

TheMix wrote:
Normann wrote:I was just joking of course. I get it thought it is post apocalyptic and all that. Still it is like a black and white game. Looking at the F4 videos it looks a lot more colorful.
There are mods that do make F3 look more interesting. I think I ran with one on my last play. Though, personally, that kind of thing generally becomes "background noise" pretty quickly.
It does. It is a dated game and I really had no problem enjoying it. Good graphics is a bonus but they never make a game. Good example is Mount and Blade. Fugly game, yet I have 100h on it just on the Steam version alone. I must have at least that if not more on the original version.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I just finished it last week myself. It is still a great exploration game.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

I also found the low-saturation colors of F3 unattractive - that's why one of the side missions was so nice. Normal color saturation. Most of FNV was brownish (desert) and radioactive areas had a kind of oppressive appearance, but it didn't seem like the toned-way-down colors of F3. At least, that's how I remember it.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A lot of that was improved with mods, of course. Fellout is a good start. This should go with it - it lightens the nights a little bit. I swear that the people who make these things have never been outdoors at night. You can see more than three feet, even on an overcast night.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

L is for Luck.

Also, the trailer for Fallout Shelter 1.2 gives us a sneak peak at another Fallout 4 character.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hope you have a fast net connection because the FO4 disk will not contain the full game. To combat piracy you'll need to stream part of your install.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/97004 ... e-deal.htm

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallou ... 0-6431658/
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:Hope you have a fast net connection because the FO4 disk will not contain the full game. To combat piracy you'll need to stream part of your install.
First, that's inaccurate. You don't stream anything. You download something from Steam.

Second, I expect a clarification to be posted, given the responses. What he actually said, based on those articles, may only be that you can't install with just the disks - you still have to activate through Steam. He specifically said it is the same as Skyrim, which means that all you'd be downloading is the unlocking keys.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I see two quotes from him.......
"[Fallout 4 on PC] comes with a disc and a steam authentication key. if you don't have a DVD drive, you can just use the [Steam] key," he explained. "The game disc has actual install data ... though you will still have to download from Steam. The disc doesn't contain the entire game."
Pete Hines, Bethesda's marketing Vice President, answered the gamers' questions on Twitter. He confirmed that in order to avoid piracy the physical copy of the disk will bear only a partial installation of the game. Gamers who bought a legit copy can simply go to their Steam accounts and complete the installation process.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If I had to make a guess (and I do, since I don't know one way or the other), it would be that the download will be the actual game executable file plus any sort of launch day patch required to fix problems identified since the gold master was released to manufacturing. The size of that download will likely be trivial compared to the full install footprint.

DD*

Post by DD* »

Blackhawk wrote:A lot of that was improved with mods, of course. Fellout is a good start. This should go with it - it lightens the nights a little bit. I swear that the people who make these things have never been outdoors at night. You can see more than three feet, even on an overcast night.
I posted a list of all my go to Fallout 3 mods earlier in this thread. Really makes it a much better looking and more interesting game, IMHO.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Just pre ordered from greenman.com. I used the 22% off. Did game and season pass. Came to $70.
I can cancel the order 48 hours prier to release is nice. Still looking for any deals that might come with new video cards. I meet the min. right now. i7 930 at 2.8 GHz ,16 G ram AMD 7870 Video.
My monitor is a Hanns-G HL273, 27 inch 1920-1080. Would a newer video card give me much more with the same monitor?
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

UsulofDoom wrote:Just pre ordered from greenman.com. I used the 22% off. Did game and season pass. Came to $70.
I can cancel the order 48 hours prier to release is nice. Still looking for any deals that might come with new video cards. I meet the min. right now. i7 930 at 2.8 GHz ,16 G ram AMD 7870 Video.
My monitor is a Hanns-G HL273, 27 inch 1920-1080. Would a newer video card give me much more with the same monitor?
If you currently have an AMD 7870, then I'd guess that a new card would probably give you somewhat better performance, depending on what card you go to. Back in July, I upgraded from an AMD R9 270X to an nVidia GTX 970 and the performance in Witcher3 at 1920x1080 went from 20+fps with somewhat optimized quality settings to 60+fps with quality settings maxed out. That's with an i7-2600k and 16G ram.

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Achievements:
Spoiler:
War Never Changes – Enter The Wasteland
When Freedom Calls – Complete "When Freedom Calls"
Unlikely Valentine – Complete "Unlikely Valentine"
Reunions – Complete "Reunions"
Dangerous Minds – Complete "Dangerous Minds"
Hunter/Hunted – Complete "Hunter/Hunted"
The Molecular Level – Complete "The Molecular Level"
The Nuclear Option – Complete "The Nuclear Option"
Institutionalized – Complete "Institutionalized"
Mankind-Redefined – Complete "Mankind-Redefined"
Powering Up – Complete "Powering Up"
Nuclear Family – Complete "Nuclear Family"
The First Step – Join the Minutemen
Taking Independence – Complete "Taking Independence"
Old Guns – Complete "Old Guns"
Semper Invicta – Join the Brotherhood of Steel
Blind Betrayal – Complete "Blind Betrayal"
Ad Victoriam – Complete "Ad Victoriam"
Tradecraft – Join the Railroad
Underground Undercover – Complete "Underground Undercover"
Rockets’ Red Glare – Complete "Rockets' Red Glare"
Sanctuary – Complete "Sanctuary"
Community Organizer – Ally with 3 Settlements
Benevolent Leader – Reach Maximum Happiness in a Large Settlement
Gun-For-Hire – Complete 10 Side Quests
Mercenary – Complete 50 Misc. Objectives
Scavver – Gather 1000 Resources Used For Crafting
What’s Yours Is Mine – Pick 50 Locks
RobCo’s Worst Nightmare – Hack 50 Terminals
Armed and Dangerous – Create 50 Weapon Mods
Wasteland D.I.Y. – Craft 100 Items
Never Go It Alone – Recruit 5 Separate Companions
Lovable – Reach Maximum Relationship Level with a Companion
Fix-Er-Upper – Build 100 Workshop Items
Future Retro – Play a Holotape Game
…The Harder They Fall – Kill 5 Giant Creatures
Ranger Corps – Discover 100 Locations
Print’s Not Dead – Read 20 Magazines
Prankster’s Return – Placed A Grenade Or Mine While Pickpocketing
Masshole – Kill 300 People
Animal Control – Kill 300 Creatures
Homerun! – Get a Homerun
Touchdown! – Get a Touchdown
They're Not Dolls… – Collect 10 Vault-Tec Bobbleheads
…They're Action Figures – Collect 20 Vault-Tec Bobbleheads
Born Survivor – Reach Level 5
Commonwealth Citizen – Reach Level 10
Unstoppable Wanderer – Reach Level 25
Legend Of The Wastes – Reach Level 50
Prepared for the Future – Decide the Fate of the Commonwealth
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

CB radio, the internet and DX11 are all just fads and will soon fade. I'll stick with my DX9 card and candles to light my way, thankee. :pray:
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/10 ... 4-preload/

Fallout 4 will be pre-loadable before Nov 10th.
Bethesda PR chap Pete Hines confirmed preloading with a tweet, writing that “We will offer preloading for Fallout 4 on PC, Xbox One, and PS4. Exact day/time TBA. All should be available a few days before launch day.”
Also a blurb about the thoughts that it wont have much to download for disc users.
If you’re planning on buying Fallout 4 on disc, don’t think this doesn’t affect you: even disc copies of the game will require some measure of download from Steam. Wastelands need a lot of textures.
EDIT: FO4 also uses GameWorks. Maybe this is why the specs show it requires a more powerful AMD video card than the listed Nvidia one?

http://wccftech.com/fallout-4-nvidia-gameworks/
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Interesting article about GameWorks, hadn't really been following that. Thanks. Also found this there: 10 things you didn't know about Fallout 4.

Is it November 10th yet? :D
-mf
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

MonkeyFinger wrote:Interesting article about GameWorks, hadn't really been following that. Thanks. Also found this there: 10 things you didn't know about Fallout 4.

Is it November 10th yet? :D
Wow. The hate in the comments in that threat is mindblowing.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Also a blurb about the thoughts that it wont have much to download for disc users.
If you’re planning on buying Fallout 4 on disc, don’t think this doesn’t affect you: even disc copies of the game will require some measure of download from Steam. Wastelands need a lot of textures.
Not necessarily. There is no source for that. It still hasn't been announced what or how much needs to be downloaded. The author is probably still riding the reaction to the original announcement.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Anyone remember if or how distance traveled was recorded on F3 ? Was it steps or miles? I might have to match my F4 play time to my Virofit.

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Daehawk wrote:Hope you have a fast net connection because the FO4 disk will not contain the full game. To combat piracy you'll need to stream part of your install.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/97004 ... e-deal.htm

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallou ... 0-6431658/
Disks for PC games? What are those? That's so 20th century, really!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Perk list now available, now looks to be about 95% complete:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_4_perks

For a gunner like me (not a fan of melee), the key SPECIAL stats look to be perception (of course), agility, intelligence, and surprisingly luck (some good perks there, tended to ignore that in the past). Looks like starting at 3 or 4 in several categories will be a good start, with bumping a few that you want to go higher in.

Dropbox spreadsheet here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ng15rvj5o9voq ... .xlsx?dl=0

Start planning your character(s) now! Tentatively planned my character up to level 50 so far.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I haven't really been following this game, but does anyone know if SPECIAL stats have any kind of effect in this game apart from serving as prerequisites for perks? I haven't seen any mention of derived stats in Fallout 4 yet. I assume the stats will be checked in dialogue in some cases, but apart from that?

Edit: Nevermind. The wiki that was linked to above contains the answer. Yes, there are derived stats based on your SPECIAL stats.
Jolor wrote:CB radio, the internet and DX11 are all just fads and will soon fade. I'll stick with my DX9 card and candles to light my way, thankee. :pray:
Well, at least DX11 is a short-lived fad now that DX12 is arriving and turning out to be a revolution for graphics. :P
Insert witty comment here.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The question I am going to face, having finished Inquisition fairly recently - am I ready to dive into another long RPG so soon? Should I play an RPG palate cleanser like Halo 4 instead? Or maybe finally dig into something like an action RPG like Shadows of Mordor?
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

El Guapo wrote:The question I am going to face, having finished Inquisition fairly recently - am I ready to dive into another long RPG so soon? Should I play an RPG palate cleanser like Halo 4 instead? Or maybe finally dig into something like an action RPG like Shadows of Mordor?
Ooh it's never a bad idea to play the goodness that's Shadows of Mordor. Palate cleaning action, good story, it has it all.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?