Fallout 4

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Fallout 4

Post by Blackhawk »

Retailers have been breaking street date for over a week now. Lots of people have the game.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote:Retailers have been breaking street date for over a week now. Lots of people have the game.
Ahh, beta testers. ;)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

So is the below right? Does this mean we can be playing F4 at 6:01 AM EST in USA CT?
I did activate BF4 by using a proxy server from Asia that had me playing the single player 8 hours before release on EST.
Max Peck wrote:
jztemple2 wrote:
Max Peck wrote:
The app tethers wirelessly to a PC, PS4 or Xbox One running Fallout 4 with the Pip Boy mode enabled.
Enlarge Image
If you're impatient, get cracking on setting up a vpn to NZ. :)
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Maybe? That information is taken from the Bethsoft blog, but I'm seeing chatter over on Q23 stating that the NZ unlock is actually at 0201 rather than 0001. I'm not sure what source he has for the later-than-advertised NZ unlock. Aside from that, yeah, if you can VPN to NZ you should be able start playing well before the NA unlock.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Blackhawk wrote:Retailers have been breaking street date for over a week now. Lots of people have the game.
Well goddamn it, Amazon sure as shit isn't!
I preordered the physical version on Oct. 18, and it hasn't even shipped yet. I'm getting a little worried. The strategy guide shipped on Friday, so at least I'll have that I guess. Maybe I can read along with you guys. :(
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Not yet.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The calendar on teh my PC says 9th where is my fall out OMG Steam lied give me my fall out now or I will boycott u 4ever OMGLOL! :angry-cussingwhite:
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

November 10, 2015, at 12:01 am (local time)
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

They sell games retail now?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Holman wrote:
They sell games retail now?
Whats this retail you speak of?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

So, ah, I just VPN'd to New Zealand and my copy is unlocking now. :horse:
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Reviews for this game are turning out great. 90/100 on OpenCritic with 43 reviews counted so far.

For anyone curious about the differences between PC and PS4/XB1 with this game, the most immediately obvious one is in shadow detail and distance. This immediately stuck out as a sore thumb in the first PS4 screenshots I saw, and was a major factor in my decision to go with PC. It feels like shadows stop drawing just a few meters ahead of you, which makes everything look flat and as if it's floating off the ground. You might think this sounds like a minor niggle, so here's a screenshot showing off the difference between PC and Xbox One. I assume PS4 is at the same level as the latter.

Enlarge Image
(Click the image to see it full size)
Insert witty comment here.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Shadows aren't a huge deal for me (especially if I don't know what I'm missing!); but framerates that drop below (well below?) 30 FPS during action sequences is a major concern. I just got Divinity: Original Sin so I can wait to see how it pans out.
Black Lives Matter
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Shadows aren't a huge deal for me (especially if I don't know what I'm missing!); but framerates that drop below (well below?) 30 FPS during action sequences is a major concern. I just got Divinity: Original Sin so I can wait to see how it pans out.
Digital Foundry has an initial analysis out. The conclusion seems to be that even a budget PC can hold more stable framerates and better graphics than the PS4 and XB1. Between the two consoles, the PS4 struggles in scenes with lots of transparency effects (dropping to roughly 20 fps), while the XB1 struggles more with asset loading, causing stuttering and outright pauses of a second or two during gameplay. Their conclusion was that, at least if you ignore the PC, the PS4 version is a noticeably smoother experience.
Insert witty comment here.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Hamlet3145 wrote:So, ah, I just VPN'd to New Zealand and my copy is unlocking now. :horse:
If you don't share you are gloating! What VPN did you use!
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

TiLT wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Shadows aren't a huge deal for me (especially if I don't know what I'm missing!); but framerates that drop below (well below?) 30 FPS during action sequences is a major concern. I just got Divinity: Original Sin so I can wait to see how it pans out.
Digital Foundry has an initial analysis out. The conclusion seems to be that even a budget PC can hold more stable framerates and better graphics than the PS4 and XB1. Between the two consoles, the PS4 struggles in scenes with lots of transparency effects (dropping to roughly 20 fps), while the XB1 struggles more with asset loading, causing stuttering and outright pauses of a second or two during gameplay. Their conclusion was that, at least if you ignore the PC, the PS4 version is a noticeably smoother experience.
That is disappointing. I don't think my wife would be very happy with me buying a PS4 today after 2 months of complaining about being cash-strapped. I guess I will just have to lower my expectations and it enjoy on the XB1 version anyway.

I don't really care about the shadows, I care a lot more about the game chugging. If it's really bad, I suppose I can set it aside and play Rise of the Tomb Raider.. but they wouldn't ship it if it was really bad, right? :(
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Per Amazon:
Ordered: Oct 23
Shipping soon

Arriving tomorrow by 8pm
8pm!? :P I know they have a warehouse about a dozen miles from my house so I am pretty sure I'll get it tomorrow, but come on guys, get that thing shipped.

edit: My credit card was just charged (yay wallet app) and the status changed to shipping soon.
Last edited by coopasonic on Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

UsulofDoom wrote:
Hamlet3145 wrote:So, ah, I just VPN'd to New Zealand and my copy is unlocking now. :horse:
If you don't share you are gloating! What VPN did you use!
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

It's a paid one that I have a subscription to.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Ha. According to Reddit, this is a list of almost 1000 player names that a certain character will actually call you by if you use one of them.
http://hastebin.com/raw/gemajulugi

And as weird as it is my first name isn't on there, but my fairly obscure last name is... wtf? :P
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote:Per Amazon:
Ordered: Oct 23
Shipping soon

Arriving tomorrow by 8pm
8pm!? :P I know they have a warehouse about a dozen miles from my house so I am pretty sure I'll
That is their default 'business day' estimate. I get my packages between 11 an 1 here, but all say 'by 8PM.'
Jag

Post by Jag »

Sepiche wrote:Ha. According to Reddit, this is a list of almost 1000 player names that a certain character will actually call you by if you use one of them.

And as weird as it is my first name isn't on there, but my fairly obscure last name is... wtf? :P
Jag is there. Yay me!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Jag wrote:
Sepiche wrote:Ha. According to Reddit, this is a list of almost 1000 player names that a certain character will actually call you by if you use one of them.

Jag is there. Yay me!
And these too:

Tit
Tittie
Titties
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Played about an hour so far, runs great so, most things at ultra except shadows. fixed 60 fps without any drops so far.

Just got to my first town after leaving the vault.

Yay a hot key for the map as well.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Moliere wrote:
Jag wrote:

Jag is there. Yay me!
And these too:

Tit
Tittie
Titties
My favorite: Erectus.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Reemul wrote:Played about an hour so far, runs great so, most things at ultra except shadows. fixed 60 fps without any drops so far.

For reference, what is your cpu/ram/video card?

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Max Peck wrote:
Reemul wrote:Played about an hour so far, runs great so, most things at ultra except shadows. fixed 60 fps without any drops so far.

i7@2.5 gig, 16 gig ram and a GF970m 3 gig mem, windows 10
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Reemul wrote:
Max Peck wrote:

i7@2.5 gig, 16 gig ram and a GF970m 3 gig mem, windows 10
Sweet. I've got an i7-2600K, 16G, GTX 970, so I should be good to go -- in about 11 hours (Cuz I'm too lazy to set up a vpn... Sloth. Sloth never pays).

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

One should really read the previous three to see why that's funny.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Reemul wrote:i7@2.5 gig, 16 gig ram and a GF970m 3 gig mem, windows 10
Thanks for the info. How long did it take to go from pre-load to actually playable? Was there more to download when it unlocked? Was it like a 30 minute unpacking process? I'm actually toying with the idea of staying up until midnight to play but if it's going to actually take another hour for me to start playing, I'll probably just skip it.

Also, if it in any way crashes or locks up my PC like Black Ops 3, I'm retiring from being a computer gamer.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Smoove_B wrote:
Reemul wrote:i7@2.5 gig, 16 gig ram and a GF970m 3 gig mem, windows 10
Thanks for the info. How long did it take to go from pre-load to actually playable? Was there more to download when it unlocked? Was it like a 30 minute unpacking process? I'm actually toying with the idea of staying up until midnight to play but if it's going to actually take another hour for me to start playing, I'll probably just skip it.

Also, if it in any way crashes or locks up my PC like Black Ops 3, I'm retiring from being a computer gamer.
At the start I couldn't get it to update, in the end setting server selection in steam for downloads to match the vpn worked, took about 20 minutes in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's not too bad. I was just assuming I'd need to log out of STEAM at 11:59pm and then log back in at 12:01 am. When the game won't unlock or update that's usually the case, but I can live with 20 minutes. I think the last time I did this was for the Half Life 2 launch...up at 6am or something to unpack the game and play through the intro. It was magic. :D
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I played for a about an hour and it's definitely Fallout. More an evolution than a revolution from 3. My system is a Haswell i5 with 16gb RAM and a GTX 970 and everything runs smoothly on ultra. I'm a little overwhelmed with all the modding/building options, but that's a good thing and I'll look forward to taking my time learning all the nuances.

Edit: 1000th post! (That only took a decade or so).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hamlet3145 wrote:Edit: 1000th post! (That only took a decade or so).
Congrats.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

There's a review of the pipboy in the collectible edition. It's basically a wrist-mounted smartphone case running the companion app. :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those who might be interested, Nvidia has posted a Fallout 4 Graphics, Performance & Tweaking Guide. It's way too long and complex for my sixty-two year old brain to comprehend, except for the basic "expensive video card good, cheap video card bad". I have a GTX 780 3GB card, along with an Intel i7-4770K processor, 16GB RAM and Win7 64bit, running a 1920x1200 monitor, so I think I should be OK, but then my eyes are going so who can tell? :doh:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Just a heads up. I used vyprvpn to login from Ausi. and its working. It's free for 1st 500 meg. You can disconnect once playing.

Since DN3D mirrors worked!

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

'Fallout 4' Is Too Stupid To Be Game Of The Year
It's impossible to kill your pet dog in "Fallout 4." Oddly, that's a problem.

Hear us out.

The latest game in the popular post-apocalyptic series launches Tuesday, and critics are predictably hailing it as a triumph. Tech Insider's Ben Gilbert says, "It's easily one of the best games released this year, if not in the last several years or more."

The praise isn't surprising -- much of the "Fallout" series has been rapturously received since the first game's debut in 1997 -- but it is disappointing. "Fallout 4" isn't a bad game, but there's no reason to hail it as the best this year -- in fact, there's plenty of reason not to.

And a lot of that has to do with your pet dog's invincibility.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Nothing substantial at all in that article, just a clickbait headline and a couple paragraphs that don't add up to anything.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm just seeing there's no FOV adjustment? What in the actual hell is going on here?? Why is having a FOV adjustment not a mandatory inclusion at this point?