Ashes of the Singularity: RTS from Stardock and Oxide Games

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Island Dog

Ashes of the Singularity: RTS from Stardock and Oxide Games

Post by Island Dog »

Ashes of the Singularity was announced today and is being shown at GDC this week. It's using Oxide Games' Nitrous engine which will allow thousands on units to battle onscreen.

www.ashesofthesingularity.com
Ashes of the Singularity is a new real-time strategy game in which players fight for control of entire worlds. Multiple armies battle it out across vast landscapes as the player tries to take control of the key regions of the map to obtain their valuable resources.

Thanks to Oxide Games’ Nitrous engine, which allows for thousands of units to clash onscreen at once, each acting independently with multiple individually targeted weapons systems and ballistics models, Ashes of the Singularity is able to deliver a game experience that is both deep and approachable.

Players are able to manage their massive armies through a new game concept called the "meta-unit." The meta-unit allows Ashes’ enormous scale to translate into fun gameplay. By grouping units together into a meta-unit, you make them aware of each other and alter their behavior to fight intelligently together and support one another. Because a meta-unit can take care of itself within its means, your attention is freed to direct the overall war effort – a good thing, as Ashes of the Singularity’s maps and unit counts are an order of magnitude larger than in a traditional RTS.
Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Re: Ashes of the Singularity: RTS from Stardock and Oxide Ga

Post by Daehawk »

Just came to post this. Guess Ill have to post their other game. This looks to have a cool story and if its true what they say about not having to focus on each battle but instead of the overall war I think Id like that.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Sounds like how I hoped Planetary Annihilation was going to be like. Stop with the ridiculous micromanagement to the detriment of actually fighting.

It looks like they've keeping the camera such that the smallest units aren't permanently reduced to even smaller icons either.

While resource and base management is a valid part of the game, there's a lot room to branch out. While so many games have tried to copy the success of TA, they've only been trying to copy one aspect, becoming fixated on scale and base building. It's flashy, but I think people are over that as evidenced by SupCom and PA's decline. Time for them to get back to actual fighting gameplay.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Here's a video of Ashes of the Singularity at the AMD booth at GDC.

http://youtu.be/t9UACXikdR0
naednek

Post by naednek »

Island Dog, I don't mean to sound disparaging about your game. You're company as a whole makes great games and have a lot great ideas. What I'm about to say has to say more about the genre than anything else, Ashes of the Singularity just highlights my point...

Now I'm only basing my opinion from the above video, but this opinion is also valid from my play time with many RTS such as PA, Supreme commander, the more recent C&C. These games essentially boil down to hey lets build the most units and we'll see who wins. There's no strategy involved. It's a flash mob of an attack. The games of yore, the original C&C series (including RA) warcraft, starcraft, age of empires, RoN, and others had more elements of strategies at play. Sure there were tank rushes, but these games made you think on what troops to build based on what the other player or AI had in their aresnal.

Now I don't know of AotS has this type of gameplay, but just from the 4 minute AMD advertisement video posted above, it just looked like lets build as many as we can and have at it.

I miss the C&C/Warcraft type of games. Again I have always respected your involvement in our community, I'm just sharing my opinion.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

All fair points. :)

It was just announced and is still a very early pre-alpha, so I know there's lots of questions to be had and still lots of the game to be worked out. The technical aspects as far as showing off Nitrous and talking a bit about the meta-units, and the overall scale of the game was a good place to start at GDC.

I agree about the build the most units tactic, and I'm not a fan of it either. As the game FAQ puts it, it has inspiration from Sins of a Solar Empire and Total Annihilation and game mechanics influence comes from something like CoH. That's kind of the best way I can put it at the moment. I know that's not a lot of detail, but that's something we'll be expanding on in the months ahead.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

A few questions:

1) Is there going to be a substantive single player campaign? I'm not really interested in multi-player RTS games any more.
2) As I get older, I find that I suck at RTS games when there's more than one or two things going on, unless I can pause and look around. Is there going to be a "pause" button?
Black Lives Matter
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

NickAragua wrote:A few questions:
2) As I get older, I find that I suck at RTS games when there's more than one or two things going on, unless I can pause and look around. Is there going to be a "pause" button?
and to expand on that (for those of us with slow to no reflexes anymore) can you pause and give orders?
naednek

Post by naednek »

Tampa_Gamer wrote:
and to expand on that (for those of us with slow to no reflexes anymore) can you pause and give orders?
It shouldn't be called Real Time Strategy if so... (RTS)
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Actually, if you want to get more banal, you can use the proper definition of real-time pausable, or RTP. But such distinctions are useless, and going around obsessively categorizing things is more annoying OCD than helpful. Especially so when you have a group of people who roam the internet doing that in such a way to use those extra categorizations as a put down.

The bulk of the gameplay is real-time, all the action happens in real-time. Pausing really only helps with orders, and it's only usable in single player anyway.

So, if this game has single player, I'm all for letting people issue orders while paused in single player.

It's looking like it will be mainly online, and perhaps free to play? I notice their website has mention of a founders program.

I also notice that Stardock is a big part of this, a company that I've voiced my displeasure of before, so we'll see.
naednek

Post by naednek »

It's not a put down in anyway. A real time strategy is that, making strategic decisions in real time. If you able to pause a game to think about how you want to strategize, then that's a different category. Half the fun of a RTS game is making quick decisions on short amount of time to think.

For me it's black and white, there isn't a grey area. It doesn't bother me that games have that feature, it doesn't bother me they still call it RTS. But it's not a RTS if you can pause. It's simple as that.

Anyways, that's a different discussion. Time to get this thread back on topic. I did find it pretty cool that the game can handle all the moving pieces.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Turtle wrote:It's looking like it will be mainly online, and perhaps free to play? I notice their website has mention of a founders program.

I also notice that Stardock is a big part of this, a company that I've voiced my displeasure of before, so we'll see.
It is definitely not free to play.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Then remove the mention of a Founder's Program, because that's Free to Play terminology most of the time.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

We've been doing Founders programs for a while and it's been pretty successful with Galactic Civilizations and Offworld Trading Company so far. The store pages show clearly what you get and I've never had anyone confuse it with free to play.

1) Is there going to be a substantive single player campaign? I'm not really interested in multi-player RTS games any more.
Yes, we expect most people to play as single player, but we will most definitely have MP and different game modes (Total Obliteration mode, victory point mode, and others.) Although I imagine there will be a pause button, I don't have a definitive answer yet on what it would be capable of.
naednek wrote:Now I don't know of AotS has this type of gameplay, but just from the 4 minute AMD advertisement video posted above, it just looked like lets build as many as we can and have at it.
I brought up those concerns and that's definitely not the direction it's going for. The composition of units and how they're deployed will be a big part of it, and the strategic control of the regions is where the war will be won or lost. :)
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Appreciate the replies. I'll be keeping an eye on this.
Black Lives Matter
raydude

Post by raydude »

Island Dog wrote:All fair points. :)
I agree about the build the most units tactic, and I'm not a fan of it either. As the game FAQ puts it, it has inspiration from Sins of a Solar Empire and Total Annihilation and game mechanics influence comes from something like CoH. That's kind of the best way I can put it at the moment. I know that's not a lot of detail, but that's something we'll be expanding on in the months ahead.
Funny you should mention CoH. CoH has spoiled me with it's strategic map and the ability to order units while in the strategic map. To the point where I don't think I'll play another RTS that doesn't let me have that "big picture" view while allowing me to still give orders in that view.

This ability is HUGE. It's makes the difference between my having all my units committed and engaged and making specific breakthroughs and my co-op friends having units sitting idly on some corner of the map because they still are playing "old school RTS" by scrolling manually around the map and trying to remember where they parked their units.

I've forgotten that Homeworld and Homeworld 2 also had this strategic map ability and it's even more important for those games because the maps are so big and the difference in unit scales so large. The Homeworld games are probably closest to yours in terms of the scale and map size, so I would implore you to think about having the strategic map and ability to order units in it.

As a final note - I tried playing Supreme Commander after being spoiled by CoH. Yes, one could zoom all the way out to have a strategic map view but it wasn't the same as CoH's or Homeworld's one keypress strategic map view. It still screamed "old school RTS" to me and I dropped it like a hot potato and went back to CoH.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Island Dog wrote:Although I imagine there will be a pause button, I don't have a definitive answer yet on what it would be capable of.
This phrase is actually sig-worthy.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Freyland wrote:
Island Dog wrote:Although I imagine there will be a pause button, I don't have a definitive answer yet on what it would be capable of.
This phrase is actually sig-worthy.
Haha!
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The Founder's Alpha is now out and you should have received your keys already if you are in the Founder's program. :)
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Just a note that Ashes of the Singularity is hitting Early Access next week. :)

http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/471958
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Yay! Early Access available! :)

Enlarge Image
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

If anyone bites, I'm extremely interested to hear how good the 'meta unit' concept plays out. I'm coming to find that finding the perfect balance of eliminating micromanagement without sacrificing strategic choices is my holy grail for strategy games.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Supposed to be beautiful. My GTX 770 only does DX11 so Im left out of the cool DX12 effects.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Brad Wardell

Post by Brad Wardell »

wonderpug wrote:If anyone bites, I'm extremely interested to hear how good the 'meta unit' concept plays out. I'm coming to find that finding the perfect balance of eliminating micromanagement without sacrificing strategic choices is my holy grail for strategy games.
It's definitely not a silver bullet. It's modeled after Kohan. So your units become one units (think of each unit being like a gun or other ability of a globulous bigger unit).
Brad Wardell - Stardock
Sins of a Solar Empire - http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com
Galactic Civilizations - http://www.galciv.com
Star Control - http://www.starcontrol.com
raydude

Post by raydude »

Brad Wardell wrote:
wonderpug wrote:If anyone bites, I'm extremely interested to hear how good the 'meta unit' concept plays out. I'm coming to find that finding the perfect balance of eliminating micromanagement without sacrificing strategic choices is my holy grail for strategy games.
It's definitely not a silver bullet. It's modeled after Kohan. So your units become one units (think of each unit being like a gun or other ability of a globulous bigger unit).
I actually liked the way units in Kohan worked. I liked that the Kohan "squads" acted together, so that if one person in the squad was being attacked the entire squad would respond. I hated the way Starcraft and similar games would let you snipe one unit and all the other units would be like "duhhhhh, look, George just died. Wonder how that happened?"

I actually took advantage of Kohan's AI unit management in multiplayer coop games. If I thought my friends were being too cautious with their units I would fight an enemy unit and then retreat back to my allies units, which would then automatically attack the enemy and give me some much needed backup.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Brad Wardell wrote:It's modeled after Kohan.
OK, you got my interest now.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jeff V wrote:
Brad Wardell wrote:It's modeled after Kohan.
OK, you got my interest now.
Ditto.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The v.64 update is out today. :)

http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/473351/
Update v.64 for Ashes of the Singularity is here! We are making our way out of Alpha and toward Beta, but we're not quite there yet. The Dev Team has been working on refining game play details, bug fixes, and other game improvements like new maps, some improved destruction graphics (who doesn't

The addition of the Power Amplifier allows players to double their regional resource output. More resources means more ships, more ships means bigger battles, bigger battles means massive explosions! Everyone wins!
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Tom's Hardware has an interview with Dan Baker about multi-GPU.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/oxide- ... 30665.html
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Wayward Strategist has an AAR from Brad on an Ashes game. Pretty screenshots, too. :)

http://waywardstrategist.com/2015/12/08 ... ngularity/
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The v.70 update is out and includes Ice Maps, Orbitals, New "Cruiser Factory" building, and more. :)

Orbitals
The new Orbital Command and the Orbital Fabricator buildings now offer you new ways to wage war with your enemies by ordering various types of assaults or assistance from above.

Ice Maps
Winter is coming...and so are the Ice Maps! The team has added four new maps to the game: Shredded, Crater, Triad, and Frosthaven. As a bonus, Scorpio, Cerius, Aven and Frosthaven maps now also have night environments! Check out these screen shots - we think they're pretty...cool.

Cruiser Factory
Is your early game stuck on "cruise" control? Not anymore! Cruiser units now have their own dedicated factory required for construction. This allows for more variety and interest in early-game decisions as you start to construct your base and raise your army.

Full change and more details about Orbitals is here: http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/473218/

Enlarge Image
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Brad has an Ashes of the Singualrity pre-mortem at Gamasutra. :)

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/BradWard ... mortem.php
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Beta 1 for Ashes of the Singularity arrives today! Includes the Substrate Faction and other new features. :)
Meet the Other Side: The Substrate!

You've had plenty of practice with the Post-Human Coalition, but now it's time to experience the conflict with the AI faction: The Substrate! With new buildings and units, it's time to revisit the battlefield from the other side.

Not only is the Substrate joining the fray, but there are lots of other new additions to the Beta:

NEW Dreadnought Progression System
With the new leveling system for your Dreadnoughts, you will be able to cause more devastation to your opponents by learning new abilities as your units gain experience from battle. You will be able to choose from abilities that upgrade your weapons, army bonuses, a one-time unit repair, and more. With so many choices, your opponent won't know what hit them by the time you come knocking at their door.

NEW Orbital Abilities
Up until now, we have only had a few orbitals to choose from. This newest release will let you rain terror upon your enemies with the following NEW Orbital Abilities:
  • Amplify: Target amplified power generator gets a permanent 33% boost.
  • Orbital Strike: After a 10 second count down, target area receives 5000 damage over 5 seconds.
  • Carving Turret: Places a heavy plasma beam cannon in target location that does 500 damage to a single target over 3 seconds with a 5 second cool down.
  • EMP: Units within target area (600m) lose all shields.
  • Overcharge: Target power generator boosts region production by 200% for 10 seconds.
  • Regenerate: Target units have their shields fully restored over a period of 5 seconds.
  • Sensor Drone: Summons a sensor drone to a target location and floats around until it's destroyed.
  • Boost: Target power generator receives a permanent 20% boost in output, stacks at half rate each time (20%, 10%, 5%, etc.)
  • Drone Swarm: Place a swarm of drones in the target area (must be an uncovered FOW)
  • Kill: Target unit receives 5000 points of damage over 5 seconds.
  • Call Avatar: "Searcher" re-purposed to be a spawned unit that can build and attack strongly.
  • Detonate: Teleports a bomb to target area that deals 4000 damage in 3 seconds to target area when it explodes.
NEW Maps
We strive to provide carefully crafted battlefields for you to enjoy with others. We have added two more in this Beta - Frozen Wastes (4 player ice map)and Proving Grounds (1v1 desert map), with more to come as we move toward our official release!

NEW Ranked Multiplayer
Want to know where you rank among thousands of Ashes players? Try out our newly refined multiplayer match-making system and go toe-to-toe with friends or other random challengers!
More info and full changelog here: http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/474564/

Enlarge Image
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I heard about this game yesterday from a co-worker , looks amazing, I used to play a boatload of RTS back in the days, but stopped after burning myself badly on Starcraft (and even more on Brood war).

Guess I can give this one a try when I'm done (for the 2nd time) with Skyrim.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I booted it up and my performance was terrible! I hope this is an optimization issue but it could be the age of my rig. I guess I will try again later and see what happens.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

baelthazar wrote:I booted it up and my performance was terrible! I hope this is an optimization issue but it could be the age of my rig. I guess I will try again later and see what happens.
I had the exact same problem. There was a patch today, maybe that fixed it.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Nope, still unplayable. Island Dog what's going on?
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Brand spanking new Nvidia drivers fixed my problem.
Black Lives Matter
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

baelthazar wrote:I booted it up and my performance was terrible! I hope this is an optimization issue but it could be the age of my rig. I guess I will try again later and see what happens.
What are your hardware specs?

An update went out today also. Changelog: http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/475125

Always check to make sure you have the latest video drivers.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Lorini wrote:Brand spanking new Nvidia drivers fixed my problem.
Good to hear. :)