Wasteland 2 - Impressions start page 8

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Re: Wasteland 2 - Impressions start page 8

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I'm doing a similar thing with my current playthrough of Fallout 2. I know I will never come back to this game and replay a 3rd time (it's lucky to get a second!), so I have been "cheating" with a walkthrough in many cases, where I would not have the first time. I will also save before a conversation, and pick dialogue options that result in some game changing events, just to see what happens (then reload).

Stuff I "want" to say vs. stuff I know I should say to open up new quests, or turn things to my advantage.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Has anyone been playing this on the PS4 or Xbox? If so, any comments about how it controls or the camera?
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Carpet_pissr wrote:I'm doing a similar thing with my current playthrough of Fallout 2. I know I will never come back to this game and replay a 3rd time (it's lucky to get a second!), so I have been "cheating" with a walkthrough in many cases, where I would not have the first time. I will also save before a conversation, and pick dialogue options that result in some game changing events, just to see what happens (then reload).

Stuff I "want" to say vs. stuff I know I should say to open up new quests, or turn things to my advantage.
I kind of did this. But I did a quick save. Then tried the Hard Ass option. I don't usually have the skills for many of the Hard/Kiss/Smart Ass options. So I wanted to see what it did. The problem is that the "payoff" for the choice didn't happen until much later after I'd zoned and overwritten my auto save. I should have created a manual save. Then I could have back out of the option. I went and looked up the quest after I got forced down a path that I didn't want. Unfortunately it was too late. I should have known better. I just got sloppy.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Grifman wrote:I'll post some character stuff sometime this weekend
I will wait to start until you do that. Because I'm lazy. :D
I'll spend the next 2 weeks reading about the game before firing it up anyway, but I'll be glad to read opinions here.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

TiLT wrote: I had gotten roughly halfway through W2 when I stopped for various reasons. When DC came out I started all over again, and I was completely absorbed at once. Replaying content wasn't a problem at all, because it felt fresh again in many ways. The entire game has been rebalanced and has gotten a new design pass.
They missed a great chance to make this DLC for 10 bucks. :wink:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Carpet_pissr wrote:I'm doing a similar thing with my current playthrough of Fallout 2.
I'm seriously toying with doing a Fallout 2 playthrough as I've only played the first and I've got Fallout: New Vegas waiting for me. Sometimes I can be a bit of a completist.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

GreenGoo wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:I'm doing a similar thing with my current playthrough of Fallout 2.
I'm seriously toying with doing a Fallout 2 playthrough as I've only played the first and I've got Fallout: New Vegas waiting for me. Sometimes I can be a bit of a completist.
You'll want to install Killapp's FO2 Restoration mod. More of a "fix" than a mod though. Fixes a lot of broken stuff. It also does add a LOT of content that was not included in the final release of the game due to time constraints, etc. So it is HUGE. You don't have to do all the side quests, so if you get tired of it (I'm getting there), you can pretty much head to the finish line when you want (after a certain level).

Ridiculous that the guy is updating it constantly (well, until last July at least, still!)

http://www.killap.net/
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Has anyone been playing this on the PS4 or Xbox? If so, any comments about how it controls or the camera?
I've been playing this on the PC with my PS4 controller (it actually supports it natively). It took me a little bit to get used to, but it's not bad. Each trigger pulls up a radial menu for you then to select actions, etc. It looks like they put some thought into the controller controls.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I 've resorted to making paper notes. Early in game I found a very difficult-to-crack safe and want to remember where it was for later - just wondering if its worth all the effort?
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Jag

Post by Jag »

New hotfix coming soon with PC memory leak patch later.

Fixed companions not spawning correctly at HQ after dismissing them
Fixed disappearing perks on companions after dismissing them
Fixed inability to open doors in Ranger Citadel and Ag Center Central Compex after using Examine while playing with a controller
Fixed Meson Cannon not properly firing on the player
Fixed voice-over lines not playing in some conditions after returning to a location
Fixed a bug which could cause Precision Strikes with melee attacks to not apply correctly in certain conditions
Fixed a bug with Rangers sometimes running in place when conversation or cutscene stopped them
Fixed a bug which could sometimes prevent selecting certain skills in the Skills screen while playing with a controller
Fixed a bug which could sometimes cause the Skills Radial menu to only show Lockpicking as a valid option while playing with a controller
Improvements to voice-over 2D/3D sound positioning in conversations and barks
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Great news! I had put off continued play because of the companion issue, now I can start back!

EDIT: Ok, doesn't look like it is coming out this Friday so most likely sometime next week. Guess I'll take look at Rebel Galaxy this weekend.
Last edited by Grifman on Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Jag wrote:New hotfix coming soon with PC memory leak patch later.
It's the other way around. Patch coming soon, with PC memory leak hotfix later.
Insert witty comment here.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Improvements to voice-over 2D/3D sound positioning in conversations and barks
Gee , I thought it was a fualty speaker connection. :wink:
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Grifman wrote:I'll post some character stuff sometime this weekend but it will be based upon the DC - there are some significant differences to take into account in character building.
If you're still willing to write some I'm still willing to read some.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

One of the best finds are the set of Amigo outfits I have for my custom characters. My band of Mariachi players of death roaming the wasteland!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
You'll want to install Killapp's FO2 Restoration mod. More of a "fix" than a mod though. Fixes a lot of broken stuff. It also does add a LOT of content that was not included in the final release of the game due to time constraints, etc. So it is HUGE. You don't have to do all the side quests, so if you get tired of it (I'm getting there), you can pretty much head to the finish line when you want (after a certain level).

Ridiculous that the guy is updating it constantly (well, until last July at least, still!)

http://www.killap.net/
Giving it a shot tonight. Not 100% committed to playing it through, but I've downloaded and installed the patches you recommended.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

GreenGoo wrote:
Grifman wrote:I'll post some character stuff sometime this weekend but it will be based upon the DC - there are some significant differences to take into account in character building.
Sorry, my bad, let me see what I can come up with.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

$iljanus wrote:One of the best finds are the set of Amigo outfits I have for my custom characters. My band of Mariachi players of death roaming the wasteland!
I saw that achievement. I have not, however, found the outfits. My "leader", on the other hand, is running around in a gorilla costume. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Grifman wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
Sorry, my bad, let me see what I can come up with.
Not at all. If you feel like writing, great. If you don't, no worries.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

GreenGoo wrote: Giving it a shot tonight. Not 100% committed to playing it through, but I've downloaded and installed the patches you recommended.
Cool. Let me know if you want tips. There's probably more than a few Fallout threads around here if you want to post there instead.

One tip to reduce potential frustration: most sites recommend starting with low strength, but IMO you want to start with at least 5 and maybe 6 just to increase carry weight limits which can be old school frustrating.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
GreenGoo wrote: Giving it a shot tonight. Not 100% committed to playing it through, but I've downloaded and installed the patches you recommended.
Cool. Let me know if you want tips. There's probably more than a few Fallout threads around here if you want to post there instead.

One tip to reduce potential frustration: most sites recommend starting with low strength, but IMO you want to start with at least 5 and maybe 6 just to increase carry weight limits which can be old school frustrating.
I died in the Trial maze. The end.

Lol.

Yeah, gonna move it to a Fallout 2 specific thread after this.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

At the risk of insulting Tilt, :P , the DC defaults to a DX11 launch. If you cannot launch the game and have a below-DX11 card, you can for DX9 via the steam properties. Or DX10, I suppose.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Patch is out on Steam now:
Highlights

Fixed companions not spawning correctly at HQ after dismissing them.
Fixed disappearing Perks on companions after dismissing them.
Fixed inability to open doors in Ranger Citadel and Ag Center Central Complex after using Examine while playing with a controller.
Added Steam Controller support! Select Steam Controller from the Options menu to use it (Steam version only).
Export option has been re-added to Character Creation. Look for it on the final step for that specific character you want to export (Select Quirk).
Perk and Quirk balance updates and improvements.

Known Issues

Some users may notice a memory leak while playing for longer periods of time. This is a known Unity engine bug and will be addressed in a hotfix in the near future.
Steam Controller support may not function correctly on some Windows 8, Mac or Linux systems. We are currently investigating this.

General

Fixed companions not spawning correctly at HQ after dismissing them.
Fixed disappearing Perks on companions after dismissing them.
Fixed inability to open doors in Ranger Citadel and Ag Center Central Complex after using Examine while playing with a controller.
Fixed a bug which could cause Precision Strikes with melee attacks to not apply correctly in certain conditions.
Fixed a bug with Rangers sometimes running in place when conversation or cutscene stopped them.
Fixed a bug where Ranger running animation could stutter when playing with a controller at low framerates.
Fixed a bug which could cause killed enemies to respawn if the player manually saved over and loaded the AutoSave slot.
Fixed a bug where saving the game was greyed out after fixing the robot arm in the Ag Center Central Basement.
Fixed a bug where resetting keybindings to defaults and then customizing them immediately after could result in corrupt keybindings after restarting the game.
User Interface
Export option has been re-added to Character Creation. Look for it on the final step for that specific character you want to export (Select Quirk).
Fixed a bug where male portrait snapshots weren't taking height of the character into account properly. Snapshots should now correctly show the character's face.
Fixed a bug where custom portraits would sometimes temporarily disappear from the portrait gallery.
Fixed a bug/exploit where Attribute points could be gained or lost permanently with certain status effects.
Fixed a bug which could sometimes prevent selecting certain skills in the Skills screen while playing with a controller.
Fixed a bug which could sometimes cause the Skills Radial menu to only show Lockpicking as a valid option while playing with a controller.
Fixed companion members showing conversation cursor while in the squad.

Audio

Fixed voice-over lines not playing in some conditions after returning to a location.
Conversation voice-over dialog now plays as 2D audio.
Bark voice-overs now play as 50/50 2D and 3D so they can be better heard at a distance.
Fixed Sniper Rifle reload sound on certain weapons.

Gameplay

Added Steam Controller support! Select Steam Controller from the Options menu to use it (Steam version only).
Fixed Meson Cannon not properly firing on the player.
Fixed Attack of Opportunity melee Perks from interfering with Ambush functionality.
Added some more Shovels to vendors throughout the game, just in case the player lost theirs.
Added missing Open tooltips to the Highpool Underground doors. Players were missing that the doors could now be opened simply by left-clicking on them.
Turned off Investigate Sounds property from the Rodia vendor guards near the gate. This was causing them to run around awkwardly if the player fired weapons nearby.
Lucky CON bonus on characters is now saved properly.
Fixed a bug where a cutscene sometimes wouldn't end in Temple of Titan the second time you visited Dr. Kyle.
Veteran characters are exported correctly on game end.
Veteran characters no longer get exported with missing clothes. They were being dealt a certain damage type in the endgame which also just happened to vaporize clothing.

Balance

Increased the effects of Manic Depressive to +2/-2 to Attributes, to make it a bit more compelling to select.
Reduced the effects of Disparnumerophobia to +1/-1 to Attributes.
Increased the Applied Force line of Perks slightly.
Increased time range for Animal Husbandry effects to take place.
Increased Tactical Positioning damage bonus slightly.
Increased the Whack-a-Mole bonus to Chance to Hit slightly.
Increased the Bomberman bonus to Area of Effect range slightly.
Increased the Long Arm bonus to Throw Distance range slightly.
Increased the Loose Change drop chance slightly.
Increased the bonus granted by Intimidating, Affable and Know-it-All, to make them more compelling to select.
Reduced the Improvised Explosives salvage chance slightly.
Removed Friendly Fire chance from Master Hunter entirely.
Fixed Bandit line of Perks to no longer affect Submachine Guns.
Increased the Bandit line of Perks bonus attack chance.
Opportunist now shows the correct bonus damage. The text was previously incorrect.
Increased the effective range of Opportunist bonus damage slightly.
Increased Big Game Hunter and Roboticist bonus damage.
Updated the Alarm Disarming line of Perks, Ghost and Quick Reflexes. Ghost is now placed at a lower skill requirement and Quick Reflexes now grants permanent bonus Evasion. This should make them more compelling to take.
Removed Conductive flag from Goat Hide Armor, since it's not made out of metal.
Improved some old unique weapons so that they are more worthwhile to use.
Removed an erroneous 1.2x Field Medic skill multiplier on Mysophobic. The flat bonus healing effects still remain as described.

Localization

Added Turkish localization. Thank you to Cem Filiz and the Crewals localization team for their kind efforts.
Localization updates to in-game text. Thank you to our player community for these improvements.
Misc. typo and localization fixes.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So... I put off getting this till it was patched, and then till the Director's Cut came out, and then till it was on sale. And now, it's on sale :D. So, any reason to NOT buy it? Still unpatched bugs or flaws, or problems introduced by the newest version?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

It's great! Buy it!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'm just finishing up the Director's Cut. I'm essentially in the last section (I assume). Everything has been really smooth. I'm not sure if I encountered any major bugs. Certainly nothing show-stopping. I'd say go for it!

Black Lives Matter

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Definitely grab it. I've been able to play it through the whole way without seeing a single bug.

Quick pro tips:
Luck is a dump stat.
Charisma is a dump stat unless you're planning to have your character do Leadership.
Most of the quirks kind of suck ass.
Never double up on skills (this includes weapons), except:
Have at least two guys with 'surgeon' so that in case one of them buys a piece of the farm and is bleeding out, you don't have to reload.
You can have up to three NPCs, so don't feel like you have to cover *every* skill with your starting four.
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Just finished it. The last battle was definitely a PITA.

The tip about Charisma and Leadership is important. That one hamstrung me a bit.

Black Lives Matter

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks for the replies, I think I will be getting this as soon as I am back home.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Hehehe, I've hit upon my strategy for dealing with the suicidal monks escorting raiders in Titan Canyon. The monks will set off the nuke in range of the first enemy that they can reach, regardless of how many enemies that is. So I use Chisel who has a ton of HP in to initiate combat and everyone else hangs back well away from Chisel. So Chisel gets nuked but that only costs him about half his HP. The other benefit is that the monk also doesn't consider those that he is "protecting" when detonating his nuke so last turn he also took out 3 raiders at the same. Great strategy!

It's just going to be a long afternoon for Chisel though.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Grifman wrote:Hehehe, I've hit upon my strategy for dealing with the suicidal monks escorting raiders in Titan Canyon. The monks will set off the nuke in range of the first enemy that they can reach, regardless of how many enemies that is. So I use Chisel who has a ton of HP in to initiate combat and everyone else hangs back well away from Chisel. So Chisel gets nuked but that only costs him about half his HP. The other benefit is that the monk also doesn't consider those that he is "protecting" when detonating his nuke so last turn he also took out 3 raiders at the same. Great strategy!

You're fighting those guys? I was just walking straight past them while they pretended as if they were there for sightseeing. It was hilariously awkward.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I usually wound up walking past them because I kept the escort monk, but if you're going to work with the DBM guys then you need to ditch the escort monk at some point, which is when the raiders start trying to shoot you. Also, if you go in the monastery, the monks don't like that. Of course, by the time I got there, my guys were all decked out with the highest available guns, so I could, for the most part, just hose down the suicide monks at the start of a fight.

BTW, there are a few scenes between third parties in the canyon where you can (and probably should) interrupt before things get violent.
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

TiLT wrote:
Grifman wrote:Hehehe, I've hit upon my strategy for dealing with the suicidal monks escorting raiders in Titan Canyon. The monks will set off the nuke in range of the first enemy that they can reach, regardless of how many enemies that is. So I use Chisel who has a ton of HP in to initiate combat and everyone else hangs back well away from Chisel. So Chisel gets nuked but that only costs him about half his HP. The other benefit is that the monk also doesn't consider those that he is "protecting" when detonating his nuke so last turn he also took out 3 raiders at the same. Great strategy!

You're fighting those guys? I was just walking straight past them while they pretended as if they were there for sightseeing. It was hilariously awkward.
I fight them because I want their stuff and XP, and because they are EVIL raiders! :)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm just about ready to start actually creating characters. I just need to read the 22 pages in this thread and review the helpful character stat mechanics guide on steam again and I'm good to go.

Probably be ready in a couple of weeks. :wink:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

GreenGoo wrote:I'm just about ready to start actually creating characters. I just need to read the 22 pages in this thread and review the helpful character stat mechanics guide on steam again and I'm good to go.

Probably be ready in a couple of weeks. :wink:
So I see I made this exact same statement almost exactly a year ago. Well, I got a little farther this time. I've read up on character design, except everything I read was for the normal release, not the director's cut. So I've got just a little more homework to do.

On the plus side, I loaded it up and looked around the character design screen.

Does anyone know where I can find site for character portraits and/or any new models that might have been created? Either official or player made mods.

edit: Holy crap, I wish I was a walking dead fan. Someone made some excellent portraits of all the characters in that show.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

And my team is built!

I am now playing the game.

Finally.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

GreenGoo wrote:And my team is built!

Finally.
Woot! Now don't kick yourself over things your team can't do. There'll always be something, but that's okay.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

TiLT wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:And my team is built!

Finally.
Woot! Now don't kick yourself over things your team can't do. There'll always be something, but that's okay.
My second run through the game, I built my team so it could. :D

That being said, yeah, just enjoy the ride. It's ok if you don't get an 'optimal' solution for some of the game's situations, as there is no optimal solution for a lot of them.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Haven't had any play time today. Left the Citadel, got into 1 random encounter to see what the combat is like and then arrived at the Radio Tower. Initial impressions are very strong.

Hopefully I get some play time tonight.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just wrapping up Highpool. The "correct" mayor has been elected and now I'm just about to rollout into the wasteland again. Should I wreck up the wrecking crew once and for all or travel to the Ag Center, even though they've told me not to bother at this point. I still need their tower so I have go there eventually.

My impressions have remained extremely positive. I realize I'm playing the director's cut, and that means it's a cleaner, better version than the release version, but that doesn't mean it's not awesome. My only other kickstart backed rpg that I played was Shadowrun, and while that was decent enough, it felt more like a tech demo than a full blown modern rpg. Wasteland seems much cleaner. The perks and quirks, the ability to right click on an object and select which skill used by which person are all great additions to the game.

These days I'm more in love with the nostalgia I feel for RPGs than the RPGs themselves. Like many here I grew up on Wizardry and Bard's Tale and Wasteland and I still feel extremely strongly about those experiences, even though today, many decades later, I'm just not much of a RPG'er any more.

I will say that if Wasteland 2 existed back when I first encountered Wasteland, I might not have graduated High School, let alone College.

The post apocalyptic, sci fi setting is right up my alley, and the mechanics of the game are easy and straightforward, with character builds being deep and complex and combat being tactical with enough options to keep it interesting.

Intellectually I think the game is amazing. Unfortunately, like I said, I'm just not much of an RPG'er any more, so I only really like it instead of love it.

As far as kickstarter is concerned, it's a huge, huge win. YUGE.

edit: For the record I have never kickstarted anything. I bought an extra copy of Wasteland 2 from a co-worker for 10 bucks and someone gave me shadowrun during a Christmas exchange (which I played, finished, and enjoyed).