[Spaceship RPG] Rebel Galaxy

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: [Spaceship RPG] Rebel Galaxy

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote:Think thats the one I will buy next. Cruiser class...costs a bit over 4 million.
Here's a link to a ship list that gives some useful details. Ships.

You can figure out what each ship costs relative to your current ship simply by subtracting your current ship's cost.

The McKinley is a pretty good ship so far, but I have a number of Mk VI techs, with the rest being Mk V, so it's hard to tell if it's the ship or the equipment.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Played with the Polaris this evening for a little while. Solid ship. Sexier than I expected (just how emotionally attached the "feel" of the ship makes me). I moved onto the Blackgate shortly after because I had the money and it was right there so why not. It feels more effective but less focused (the turret placement is all over the place, and the broadsides have 3 distinct locations on each side) and not nearly as sexy as the Polaris.

With 16 turrets its a bit of a mishmash since I only had so many turrets with purpose on my last few ships. I'm slowly upgrading some of the cheaper turret types (like ion and flak) which are there just for show. I'm sure 16 lasers would probably be more effective but I like the idea of combined arms so I've got a few different guns for different jobs.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

SO I joined a guild and noticed I had a rank of 1 after doing so. I was up to rank 9 as a citizen. Did I lose that rank 9 by joining the guild or is it still there and will I be able to make use of it once I get back to a another base like a citizen run base? At the merc guild base my ship choices are now so limited.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Lassr wrote:SO I joined a guild and noticed I had a rank of 1 after doing so. I was up to rank 9 as a citizen. Did I lose that rank 9 by joining the guild or is it still there and will I be able to make use of it once I get back to a another base like a citizen run base? At the merc guild base my ship choices are now so limited.
No, you're still a rank 9 with citizenry.

The only place I recall being able to see my rank with militia and citizenry is when I'm at one of their stations. I believe the screen has your rank across the bottom. Maybe not all the time, maybe only on the commodities or equipment or shipyard screens. I don't recall exactly.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

GreenGoo wrote:
Lassr wrote:SO I joined a guild and noticed I had a rank of 1 after doing so. I was up to rank 9 as a citizen. Did I lose that rank 9 by joining the guild or is it still there and will I be able to make use of it once I get back to a another base like a citizen run base? At the merc guild base my ship choices are now so limited.
No, you're still a rank 9 with citizenry.

The only place I recall being able to see my rank with militia and citizenry is when I'm at one of their stations. I believe the screen has your rank across the bottom. Maybe not all the time, maybe only on the commodities or equipment or shipyard screens. I don't recall exactly.
Yea thanks. I did make it to another outpost it did show by citizenry rank again so that is good.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Well, it finally happened. I burnt out on battletech. After plowing through Mechwarrior 2, MW2: Mercs, MW3, MW4: Vengeance, I got stuck on a combination of MW3 Pirate's Moon, MW4 Black Knight and Mech Commander. How is that relevant to this thread? Well, I picked this up over the steam winter sale, and it's looking pretty radical.

I'm still putzing around in the first system. Looks like I'll be making a life long enemy of the black jack thugs (which is fine, since they don't seem to have any outposts in system anyway). I've decided that the limited-ammo Swarm Launcher turret doesn't really fit with my play style - I tend to plow through all five side missions at a time and I've been running out of ammo for that thing one or two missions in. So, I swapped it out for MK2 pulse turrets, and switched to the long-range, high damage, slow recharge broadside (I forget the name). Suddenly, I'm wiping the floor with everyone. I'm guessing there's going to be some enemy power adjustment somewhere along the line.

Does the mining laser take asteroids apart faster than regular weapons? Right now, I'm skipping mining altogether because it takes half an hour to blast a single asteroid apart and I get a little piece of crap "gold ingot" or whatever, which sells for about a hundred credits.
Black Lives Matter
KDH

Post by KDH »

NickAragua wrote: .... Does the mining laser take asteroids apart faster than regular weapons?
yes .. it's noticeably faster. I skipped mining all together, but mining lasers are still good for battle due to their shield damage. The only draw back being the range compared to .. Viridian? lasers. ... I've been away from the game for a while now so the names have left me likes Rats\Sinking ship.

when you start tractoring-in weapons from destroyed enemy ships you will get some stuff that can't be bought anywhere without making peace with ruffians and ragamuffins .. and who wants to do that? ... you have unlimited storage for these weapons and kit, so don't be too hasty to sell them until you are well beyond that tech level.

pro tip: .. try real hard to trade with any merchant you find in space .. they have a nasty habit of jumping to warp-speed, as if saying "thanks" and stuffing 29,000 dollar bills in your waistband is enough ... they pick what they buy, but they pay top dollar (don't buy from them) .. consider jettisoning low value stuff before transacting
Ain't nobody got time for that
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I just picked this up in the Steam sale, and I have a Steam Controller coming. Is it worth waiting for or go with my existing 360 controller?
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That Steam controller looks like junk...2 touch pads and 1 stick. The 360 works great with it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I grabbed this on PS4 yesterday. Since the game provides basically nothing in terms of instruction, can anyone recommend a good combat tutorial? So far, my combat experience (even against enemies with a "Low" threat level has been):

1. Engage with enemy ships
2. Watch all sorts of stuff fly around me and explode.
3. Frantically try to target stuff. Fail.
4. Hear messages about how my systems are failing.
5. Die.

I'm sure it's just a matter of practice, but so far I've been killed within 30 seconds in my first 10 engagements (all "low" threat), and I'm not even sure I made a dent in the enemy ships. Any advice you can point me towards would be helpful.

Otherwise, it feels like a stripped down version of Elite: Dangerous...which might or might not be a good thing. We'll see.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Flee. Flee often.

Only in the beginning, though. You're woefully underpowered at the start, but it only takes a few ship upgrades to start feeling like you're made of more than tissue paper.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

If you're taking on contracts and are having trouble, go for the ones that are "Low" risk or below, those are just about guaranteed to have stuff you can handle. Average is a little risky, and anything above average is asking to have your ship turned into a colander. I'm screwing around in the second system now and I've actually gotten blown up twice. Once because I went for a dead drop and couldn't escape the Korian swarm that showed up and once for no reason that I could discern (I mean, it was combat, and I probably wasn't paying attention to some aspect of my ship). If you're having trouble with a fight, just hit the boosters (drain them to almost empty then release) and you should be able to get away from most fights. It also helps to have a mercenary, they'll absorb some of the firepower directed at you.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

NickAragua wrote:If you're taking on contracts and are having trouble, go for the ones that are "Low" risk or below, those are just about guaranteed to have stuff you can handle.
Those are the ones in which I'm currently getting my ass kicked. :oops:
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Skinypupy wrote:I grabbed this on PS4 yesterday...(words)
So, how is it on the PS4? Yeah, I know, wrong forum, but I likes me some big screen.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Buatha wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:I grabbed this on PS4 yesterday...(words)
So, how is it on the PS4? Yeah, I know, wrong forum, but I likes me some big screen.
Looks and controls great. I read that controller is the best way to play anyways, so PS4 seemed like a no-brainer.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

This was released on PS4??? Wonder if they've hit Xbone yet?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Soon (from 12/29/15)
According to Double Damage Games, the PS4 version of Rebel Galaxy will debut first, and is currently scheduled to arrive next Tuesday (Jan. 5). The Xbox One port of the game will apparently take a little bit longer and is currently scheduled to debut the following Wednesday (Jan. 13).
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Thanks, Isg!
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I live to serve. :D
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Rebel Galaxy works fine with the Steam Controller, but I can't handle the twists and turns, so no playing for me.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just popping in to say I finished it some time during the holidays. I took a break to play some other stuff and then realized I hadn't touched it in awhile. When I fired it up I started collecting missions and running them until I realized I was only artificially extending my game. When I decided to pursue the main story missions I was able to finish in about an hour (since I was already in a Blackwater with Mk V and VI gear).

The game was entertaining enough, but even though I played it often and finished it, I wouldn't say it was great. It felt pretty arcade-y at times, and I'd almost say it was missing something. A meta layer maybe. Something more complicated/intricate to give purpose to all the missions you run. Of course there was the main storyline, and while that gives some continuity, the entire game just felt like one purposeless (outside of collecting money to use for upgrades) mission after another.

I enjoyed it, and it was easy to pick up and play for a quick gaming session, but I don't normally get hooked by that sort of game and it never really made me think (about anything, even my tactics were on autopilot), which is not how I like my gaming, usually.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote:Since discovering the SURPLUS cargo area of my ship and having you guys explain what it is I now check it off and on to see whats in there. Im always picking up stuff without noticing what it is. This go I found some Neutron Beams. They are better than what the store sells in broadsides . So now I have beams for both turrets and broadsides. I like beams in broadsides :)

Enlarge Image
I've got those, and some Mk2 Flak turrets that are better than the ones I have equipped. I never get the Install Component option no matter where I am. Do you have to be at a specific station?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

hentzau wrote:I'm really liking everything I'm reading here, but I have found that I just can't play PC games any longer. I think it's because I spend 10 hours a day working on one. I'm good with console games though, so I think I'll be waiting for the Xbox One version.

Steam Link
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No as I recall any station works. You install them from the normal buy parts screen not the cargo area part. Whats in that area is shown in the buy area and will have a little number by it as to how many you have.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote:No as I recall any station works. You install them from the normal buy parts screen not the cargo area part. Whats in that area is shown in the buy area and will have a little number by it as to how many you have.
Thanks. I'll try it again.

edit: I figured out what's going on. They are flak turrets, not cannons, so I can't put them in secondary. Flak turrets don't seem that useful, at least not in a 3 turret ship.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I agree with GreenGoo. I couldn't get hooked by this game. Mission just chain together and upgrading the ship seems like it would be interesting but all the time traveling from one place to another was missing something. Just not sure what you could stick in there. Maybe some interesting AI competitions with you. Maybe an artificial time line to push you to compete to reach a spot. I just got bored and stopped and just not interested I going back. Too bad I was super excited about this.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Finished up the main story last night, which just as well since I'm just about done with this game. 24 hours ain't too bad.

Settled things with a Radovich, which is surprisingly nimble and combat effective for a freighter. I wound up with a mix of Mk5 and Mk6 turrets and equipment - neutron beams for broadsides, heatseeker rockets for secondaries, 3x particle laser turrets, 2x pulse turrets (no idea why) and 2x shield burster missile turrets. Set the missile and pulse turrets to "targeted only" so that they help pop the shields. Quite an effective loadout. By the end, I was taking on dreadnoughts and the like with little risk (although they still took some time to put down).

I skipped mining entirely and focused on doing side missions whenever the threat on the main mission went above "average". It also helped when I realized that I didn't really need to kill every enemy on some of those blockade runner type missions where you have to get cargo to outposts or from dead drops. As long as my shields and afterburner last long enough, I could just zip past all those angry individuals, grab/drop off the cargo and be out and getting paid.

Then, once, I made enough money for the relevant weapon upgrades, it was time to do some ass kicking. I even tracked down a pirate lord. Slippery little bastard kept getting away, too.

Kind of a shame I didn't get to try out the destroyer and the dreadnought, but there's just no way that I'm going to grind 16/32 mil for those.
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ok, got this a while ago but just getting around to playing it now. There's a lot to like in this game but the interface could be improved, which is my biggest complaint. But right now, my question is this - how can I center the system map on whatever I am interested in focusing on. I right and left click but there are parts of the map I can't see because the map isn't centered. How can I move around the system map? Anyone?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont even remember. I was hugely into this then a few months ago I just stopped. I did that to a few games. Want to get back to it someday soon.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote:I dont even remember.
I can't even remember if you can do that.

In any event, I used a gamepad. Gameplay was pretty much designed for it, and while people still had issues with the ui while using a gamepad, it felt natural and intuitive (I..think. I can barely remember any aspects of the game. Not exactly a top 10 gaming experience).

Sorry I can't help Grif.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

No problem, figured it, WASD, about the only I didn't try :doh:
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just started playing this. It's almost just like Privateer in a certain sense... You start with a crap ship with no jump drive so you can't leave the system. However, the places you can go without the jump drive is seriously huge already, or at least it feels so. I'm just making credits via missions to upgrade the ship. I haven't quite figured out trading yet so I'm primarily doing bounty/merc missions.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Seems longer ago than 6 or 7 months when i played this. I dont even have it installed . I do love it though.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

I picked this up on the latest Steam sale too. Enjoying it too, well, at least until I picked up my first swarm mission, and promptly got obliterated. :lol:

Looking forward to being able to afford some bigger, badder ships
-something witty-
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Kasey Chang wrote:Just started playing this. It's almost just like Privateer in a certain sense... You start with a crap ship with no jump drive so you can't leave the system. However, the places you can go without the jump drive is seriously huge already, or at least it feels so. I'm just making credits via missions to upgrade the ship. I haven't quite figured out trading yet so I'm primarily doing bounty/merc missions.
For the first half (at least) of the game, having a mercenary escort is very helpful and cost effective. but swarm missions will still be a pain. BTW, the merc cost is to hire them until they die. Its not just for one mission. You can find them in bar IIRC.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Also different type guns help. I like broadside beams. As for turrets I cant recall...didn't use them a lot I dont think.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

Daehawk wrote:Also different type guns help. I like broadside beams. As for turrets I cant recall...didn't use them a lot I dont think.
Do broadside beams not show up until after the first system (or whatever it's called)? I upgraded everything to MK2 pretty early, but I keep looking for upgrades and not finding anything.
-something witty-
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think I got mine in the first system as I recall. I think they were a loot item or something. Least I dont recall buying them until I got better ones a few systems aways.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

infinitelurker wrote:
Daehawk wrote:Also different type guns help. I like broadside beams. As for turrets I cant recall...didn't use them a lot I dont think.
Do broadside beams not show up until after the first system (or whatever it's called)? I upgraded everything to MK2 pretty early, but I keep looking for upgrades and not finding anything.
I believe the broadside beams are only lootable in the first system and they (along with other weapon options) open up later on in other systems. I spent an inordinate amount of time in the first system, and wish I hadn't once I stepped out of it and realized it was all wasted time and everything was easier to get later on. Basically, the entire game is all Mk1 to Mk 5 and you just move through and buy the next step in the next system. As soon as you're about 80% upgraded, there's not much reason to hang around in the current system and you should move on.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Hired my first merc, and upgraded about half of my items to MK2. I just upgraded to the 2nd ship (with 3 turrets) and I got flak, pulse, AND laser, and I got the tachyon cannon for the broadsides. The particle lasers kill the fighters easily from long range, and any closer they get nailed by the flak. Corvettes got nailed by pulse and laser. Slightly larger ships need some blasting from my broadsides, and tachyon seems to be a good compromise so far. No beams yet. I can pocket 30-50 K credits by doing 3-4 missions from the computer pretty easily, as well as go after bounties, distress beacons, and pay for tips in the bar. So far it's pretty cool.

Once I got an extra component I'll try give it a couple more missions.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds