Fast Food Foofaraw

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Fast Food Foofaraw

Post by Isgrimnur »

Grilled Hot Dogs
The fast food chain is broadening its beef kingdom to include two different kinds of grilled hot dogs permanently hitting the menu at its roughly 7,100 U.S. locations later this month. The launch has Burger King poised to steal a sizable bite of a market dominated by convenience stores, wholesale clubs and retailers like Home Depot.

With the addition of a classic grilled dog and a chili cheese dog, Burger King is also expanding its menu to include one of America's favorite processed meats at a time when the fast food industry has been scrambling to find ways to appeal to more health-conscious customers with additions such as kale salad and sides of fruit.

After testing the franks in five markets last year, Burger King North America President Alex Macedo says there's no doubt an appetite for higher quality dogs at a lower price point.

"It was the biggest market test that we ever did," he says. "We haven’t been as excited about a product announced like this in a long long time." Macedo compares the launch to that of Burger King's most well-known burger, the Whopper.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Tue May 07, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Re: Burger King

Post by GreenGoo »

I'd try the chilli cheese dog. All my favourite chilli dogs have been terrible from terrible places.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dairy Queen puts mustard on theirs as stock. It's horrible. Sonic's chili cheese coney is passable when the desire overwhelms me.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote:Dairy Queen puts mustard on theirs as stock. It's horrible. Sonic's chili cheese coney is passable when the desire overwhelms me.
Dairy Queen is where I learned to love terrible chilli dogs.

That said, I've never had mustard on one.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

"Hey honey, lets head over to Home Depot to get some hotdogs" is something I would never imagine saying.

We have thousands of hotdog stands, Italian beef stands that sell hotdogs, and even large restaurants such as Portillo's for hotdog indulgence. Going to Burger King for one is as likely as going to Home Depot. That said, while I like hotdogs well enough, I don't recall having one in probably 10 years now. While I like Portillo's well enough, I always get a beef/sausage combo when I go there.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

GreenGoo wrote:I'd try the chilli cheese dog. All my favourite chilli dogs have been terrible from terrible places.
Isgrimnur wrote:Dairy Queen puts mustard on theirs as stock. It's horrible. Sonic's chili cheese coney is passable when the desire overwhelms me.
Chili dogs are supposed to come with mustard rather than cheese (and not both)... Now fries. Fries are what you put chili and cheese on or even nachos, not coneys.

We have a Coney on every corner here and most places you can get a high quality chili dog to go for under $2 or for a buck on Tuesdays. I can't see BK Lounge Dogs faring well here unless they magically sooth young children like mac and cheese does.

I tried a Sonic Dog once. They're pretty much Ball Park franks, so yeah. Once was too much. If the casing doesn't snap when I bite into it, then I'll pretty much only to choose to eat it at an outdoor grill drowned condiments.

Oh, and RunningMan
Spoiler:
Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney Coney
Jeff V wrote:"Hey honey, lets head over to Home Depot to get some hotdogs" is something I would never imagine saying.
Yeah, I don't get it either but it's a thing.

OtOH, I do stop for the Costco 1/4 pound polish dog and Pepsi for a bugfiddy because it's 1/4 pound polish dog and Pepsi for a bugfiddy.
naednek

Post by naednek »

ketchup and mustard are a staple on hot dogs...

My wife puts mayonnaise on hers. Nasty. I love mayonnaise, but not on hot dogs.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

naednek wrote:ketchup and mustard are a staple on hot dogs...
Dirty Harry would like a word with you...
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I wonder if they're going to split the dog in half like Five Guys does for their grilled hot dogs, or grill it whole.

I find the Five Guys method to be very, very good.
Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I don't actively dislike hot dogs, but I think of them as child chow. When I first moved out of my parents' house hot dogs were the only meat that I could afford. I used to split one, put cheese inside, and broil it. That was a treat that I outgrew.

I like an Italian sausage sandwich from a street vendor in the North End, though, and that's more or less a hot dog smothered in onions and peppers. The Beerworks sells a fancy footlong dog in July...I'll get that once a year, too.

Plain old ordinary hot dogs? Nope.
tgb

Post by tgb »

LordMortis wrote:
OtOH, I do stop for the Costco 1/4 pound polish dog and Pepsi for a bugfiddy because it's 1/4 pound polish dog and Pepsi for a bugfiddy.
If you're eating at Costco and it's not the pizza you're doing it wrong. As to hot dogs, it would be tough for any chain to beat Five Guys. If course, it's not really a hot dog unless it's served like this

I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's the price that gets me to buy.

And your picture is distorted, your dog, to go, should like like this:

If you're all fancy and sit down to eat it is should look like this

The dogs in the picture you show, may as well be from Home Depot, where the casings don't even snap when you cut into them.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

pr0ner wrote:I wonder if they're going to split the dog in half like Five Guys does for their grilled hot dogs, or grill it whole.

I find the Five Guys method to be very, very good.
A local country club does a hot dog split down the middle, grilled and served on a toasted bun. Damn it is good. So I now do that at home every now and then.
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

The Costco dogs are all beef good quality dogs and for a buc-fiddy a decent deal. They are the same dogs they sell in the store uncooked and are great for grill outs. Way better than 99% of the dogs you can get in a supermarket.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Tao

Post by Tao »

tgb wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
If you're eating at Costco and it's not the pizza you're doing it wrong. As to hot dogs, it would be tough for any chain to beat Five Guys. If course, it's not really a hot dog unless it's served like this

+1 Dirty water dogs for the win!
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

tgb wrote: If you're eating at Costco and it's not the pizza you're doing it wrong. As to hot dogs, it would be tough for any chain to beat Five Guys. If course, it's not really a hot dog unless it's served like this
I like their pizza but sometimes I just feel like a hot dog. Plus, we usually shop at Costco pretty late in the day, on a weekday, so the pizza may have been sitting under the heat lamp for a while, gets pretty dry.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I can remember when BK used to have hot dogs back in the late 70s/early 80s. I don't think I ever got one, but my brother often would.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I like Hardees chili dogs with onions.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

We really need a YK review
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Got coupons in the mail, so the couponed price for 2 grilled BK Lounge hot dogs is $5.

Yeah, no.

For $6.95 I can get two real chili dogs, chili cheese fries, and Coke just about anywhere around here. A coney made with Koegel or Dearborn Sausage is still under two bucks pretty much everywhere and a buck on special.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Burger King
Dairy Queen

Why won't these two kingdoms unite through marriage? Imagine the power of the sovereign nation that would arise from that union.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote:Burger King
Dairy Queen

Why won't these two kingdoms unite through marriage? Imagine the power of the sovereign nation that would arise from that union.
It's kept apart by the dangerous McDonald insurgency.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The McDonald empire's Master of Whisperers is second to none when it comes to acts of subterfuge.

Look at him. He just stole that plate of burgers. Do you think anyone knows? Of course not!
He won. Period.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Dairy Queen

It's kept apart by the dangerous McDonald insurgency.
Hmm. I had always assumed they were brother and sister, each pressing their claim to the Throne. That's why the White Castle sits empty.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Dairy Queen

Well, you can blame Canada, I guess. Timmies is allied with Coldstone Creamery, and BK owns Timmies. For awhile, they had restauraunts that were both a Timmies and Coldstone, something that was also done in the U.S locations such as in NY. They've stopped doing that, but some popular locations still operate as such. So by virtue of association, I don't think DQ would be allowed as they would be considered a direct competitor. But actually, saying that, I could see something like that being more popular at a BK than it would at a Timmies.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I remember the Burger King and the Dairy Queen did join forces back in the mid nineties and fought a brutal war with the Burger Chef. Many lives were lost to the great Burger War of 1996. But when the dust settled, the Chef's empire was decimated.

Deposed emperor Burger Chef and his crown prince/sidekick Jeff wave bye to their kingdom.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Deposed emperor Burger Chef and his crown prince/sidekick Jeff wave bye to their kingdom.
Not an emperor. Definitely not an emperor.
Spoiler:
Word Origin and History for burgher
n.
1560s, "freeman of a burgh," from Middle Dutch burgher or German Bürger, from Middle High German burger, from Old High German burgari "inhabitant of a fortress," from burg "fortress, citadel" (see borough). Burgh, as a native variant of borough, persists in Scottish English (cf. Edinburgh).
Black Lives Matter
Grundbegriff

Post by Grundbegriff »

Where is your dog now?
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

"Open Wide America, you never can forget. You get more to like at Burger Chef."

The picture takes on new meaning if you add their slogan from the late 70's.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That may be the least catchiest catch phrase I've ever read for a restaurant. They should have just used "We got food".
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I loved me some Burger Chef and Jeff and was disappointed as they all turned in to Hardee's around here (and then later Tim Horton's). They were first to have happy meal type meals for the kids, where my burger and fries came containerized in a cheap plastic race car. That was the best ever. It would be years and years later before McDonald's would have the Star Trek the Motion Picture Happy Meal... Though Burger King would have Star Wars Glasses and posters and that won irrespective of no kid's meal.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

When my family moved to the 'burbs in the early 70s the only two burger joints within striking distance were Burger King and Burger Chef. I liked the Chef better while my sister preferred the King, so burger night was always an exercise in family politics. If we bickered too hard my parents would get KFC to punish us. After a couple of years the Chef closed and a McD's soon took its place.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

7-Eleven started up a new hot dog promotion since BK is now encroaching on their turf (they also stressed in another tweet that, unlike BK, they don't charge extra for chili & cheese):

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There's something about buying food off a half enclosed, heated rack that's been sitting next to a display full of condoms that has never really appealed to me.

p.s. Just for the sake of clarity, I'm talking about 7-11. I don't actually have that set up in my home.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, honestly, I'd never get food like that from a convenience store. I have an aweful memory of going into a convenience store and smelling the strong stench of rotten food. I'm amazed the place didn't get shut down, lasting for as long as it did. It's only been a year or two since they did eventually close.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Enough

Post by Enough »

Our two Home Depots rent space out front to a local hot dog vendor who specializes in wild game brauts. You dang well bet I go to Home Depot for dogs!
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Enough wrote:Our two Home Depots rent space out front to a local hot dog vendor who specializes in wild game brauts. You dang well bet I go to Home Depot for dogs!
Meh, we have a European sausage shop that specializes in them (and other sausages). They do butchery for people who don't want to slice and dice their own critters, and I guess sometimes they get to keep some carcass as payment.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote:
Meh, we have a European sausage shop that specializes in them
Nice euphemism for a Chippendales show.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image

Not bad, not great. But worse than the bacon cheeseburger off the value menu, which was half the price of the chili dog.
tgb

Post by tgb »

This thread inspired me to get a hot dog at the local Five Guys instead of my usual burger. It was good, but a little odd in that the two halves of the bun were separate.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.