Games Finished: 2016, now with discussion!

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Isgrimnur

Re: Games Finished: 2016, now with discussion!

Post by Isgrimnur »

Poker Night 2. Got all the fiddly bits and made the $1M mark. Although, I did kill the app at times to avoid losing on bad beats. I just wanted to finish the damn thing. Don't judge me!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rollers of the Realm. Campaign completed. I'll be leaving it installed and may try the Arena modes.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Finished The Witcher 3. Great ride and a fantastic game. I ended just gaining level 35 and approached the skill tree with a balance between light/heavy/Aard/Igni skills and the full set of master-crafted Ursine weapons and armour. In practice, relied mostly on light combat techniques with Quen and Aard ... and a lot of rolling around for tough fights. Have not purchased any DLC and undecided if I will. That was a lot of hours (on one hand) but a lot of enjoyment (on the other).

8 o' 8 tentacles

My ending:
Spoiler:
Ciri gets her Witcher sword and becomes a Witcher. Ended up a lonely bachelor as I chose not to romance Tris and missed a key step or two with Yennefer.
Last edited by Jolor on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Jolor wrote:Finished The Witcher 3. Great ride and a fantastic game. I ended just gaining level 35 and approached the skill tree with a balance between light/heavy/Aard/Igni skills and the full set of master-crafted Ursine weapons and armour. In practice, relied mostly on light combat techniques with Quen and Aard ... and a lot of rolling around for tough fights. Have not purchased any DLC and undecided if I will. That was a lot of hours (on one hand) but a lot of enjoyment (on the other).

My ending:
Spoiler:
Ciri gets her Witcher sword and becomes a Witcher. Ended up a lonely bachelor as I chose not to romance Tris and missed a key step or two with Yennefer.
Can this game be comfortably played with a 360 controller? Also, I never finished Witcher 2. Can I start Witcher 3 and not regret missing it?
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

New Update!

Firewatch - (8/10) I'd been looking forward to this game since I saw a trailer last summer. The art and sound design make this a place you want to explore. The sounds of nature are relaxing (the wind, sound of grass swaying, calls of birds) its all very nice. Using the map and compass to find my way around the map was fun as well. The communication between the two main characters is fun too. I loved the back and forth and it was a great way to move the story forward instead of lots of notes and voice logs that other games have to fall back on. And that the thing, your character is absolutely alone otherwise without the walkie talkie. Both the park feels like a real place with things to discover and talk about with the other ranger. My only disappointment was that I finished it too quickly. Now that is my own fault. I could have spent more time gazing in the distance or hiking around but truly the story made me curious and I wanted to know what would happen next. I feel like the game could have been longer and the story felt like it wrapped up too quickly at the end. I feel like there was an action sequence or two that they could not get working and left out. That is probably for the best in the long run and the ending had an impact. Ultimately, I want more of the game so I'm hoping we see DLC or something else. But I don't think their is any replay-ability here. Once you've experience the story there are no surprises left. Also, only 5 steam achievements? That is another sign of a game rushed to the end. So would I buy this game knowing what I know? YES! Its a great couch gaming experience. Feb. 19, 2016

Jump to Scoop20906 2016 Games List
Last edited by Scoop20906 on Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Scoop20906 wrote:
Jolor wrote:Finished The Witcher 3. Great ride and a fantastic game. I ended just gaining level 35 and approached the skill tree with a balance between light/heavy/Aard/Igni skills and the full set of master-crafted Ursine weapons and armour. In practice, relied mostly on light combat techniques with Quen and Aard ... and a lot of rolling around for tough fights. Have not purchased any DLC and undecided if I will. That was a lot of hours (on one hand) but a lot of enjoyment (on the other).

My ending:
Spoiler:
Can this game be comfortably played with a 360 controller? Also, I never finished Witcher 2. Can I start Witcher 3 and not regret missing it?
I would say 'yes' for both.
-mf
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

I played KB but can know that it should be fine with controller.

W2 and W3 both give you the option to import saved finishes from the previous games but is not a requirement to play. Great game ... enjoy.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

K. Thanks guys. I might take the plunge soon then. I doubt I'll ever finish Witcher 2

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Finished the campaign in Qvadriga. Leaving it installed, but moving on.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

New Update!

Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna) - (3/10) I will take partial blame for the rating because I usually do not like platforms that kill you every five minutes. Not my idea of a fun game design. Now this is a beautiful game that tells a interesting story and that is what kept me pushing through it. However, the gameplay itself sucks. Controlling the characters sometimes feels like they are moving and jumping through mud. They game constantly expects you to die 2 to 5 times before you figure out what it wants you to do in a particular action sequence and even then its still not simple because of how easy it is to over shoot or under shoot a jump or platform. It really felt like the game did not want me to win. Add some annoying bugs like the game switching me to co-op without telling me making me die and go into the menu to change it back. The problem with this is while fighting the game you miss out on a wonderful story. Also the game has these interesting videos about life in the arctic but again this pulls you out of the story to watch them. The trailer seemed to promised an easy story experience and this game is definitely not that. March 5, 2016

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

New Updated!

This game was abandoned.

Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth - (4/10) I was excited to be getting a spiritual successor to Alpha Centaur however after trying to enjoy the game through a few play throughs over the past year and a half I just can't even get enough interest to start game. It is a bitter disappointment but maybe you just grow out of certain types of games and maybe I've grown out of civilization games. The game never hooked me and I didn't feel compelled into pushing farther with. Feb. 29, 2016

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Isgrimnur wrote:Finished the campaign in Qvadriga. Leaving it installed, but moving on.
Is it worth the $19.99? Seems like a steep price.

JetFred

Post by JetFred »

It's been bundled a few times. I'd wait for it to be cheap.
I have but one advocate.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yeah, I picked it up in the Slitherine Humble Bundle for cheap.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

FarCry 3

In other news, holy crap I finished a game!
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Finished Pillars of Eternity - The White March expansion and then refinished the main (original) story.

The expansion itself opened a bit dully but then was quite entertaining as it unfolded, providing much more depth than I originally thought I would get. Going back to finish off the origin quest is still the way to finish the game-proper as expansion filled mid-story and not post-story. You get to see the consequence of your choices in postcard vignettes and it was quite eye opening to see some of those consequences; some of them were conscious gameplay directions but one or two that I recall were what I considered throw-away conversations.

Pausable real-time combat a la Baldur's Gate (Icewind Dale is a better comparable) allowed me to micromanage those battles, though I could have run with pre-set AI instructions.

Very good, party based RPG with solid character interactions, story telling and voice acting.

6 o' 8 tentacles
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Moat_Man wrote:FarCry 3

Congrats!!

Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Scoop20906 wrote:
Moat_Man wrote:FarCry 3

Congrats!!
And there was much rejoicing :)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just finished Mad Max. 60 hours of pure entertainment - I really didn't want it to end. I know the summer sales are coming up soon (!) so definitely slap this one on your wishlist. So damn good.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Smoove_B wrote:Just finished Mad Max. 60 hours of pure entertainment - I really didn't want it to end. I know the summer sales are coming up soon (!) so definitely slap this one on your wishlist. So damn good.
Congrats! The developer really missed a great DLC opportunity for this game. I wonder if it didn't sell that well.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm guessing it did not and that's probably why it was at the ~$20 really quick. There was a developer post on the official STEAM forums yesterday saying another patch/update might be possible when someone asked if anything else was coming, so yeah, I'm thinking it's not going to get any additional stuff. I'd be happy with another Mad Max title that just repeats all this again - new areas, new enemies and new places to explore. I was actually a bit surprised at the story and the game's ending was pretty tough to handle after 50+ hours of spending time with everyone. But it was 100% Mad Max right to the end - which was awesome.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I finished Super Mario Brothers 3D World today. The kids and I have been working on it since Christmas, and it's been a great bonding experience. The game can get a little difficult towards the end so I ended up playing it for them more often than not, but they still surprised me with how much content they got through completely on their own.

Fantastic game that took me right back to playing Mario as a kid. We're going to pick up New Super Mario Brothers Wii U next.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Back to the Future Pt 3: Citizen Brown.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Isgrimnur wrote:Back to the Future Pt 3: Citizen Brown.
I tried to go back and play these after finishing the first epsiode and moving on. Man, Telltale has come a long way because these games were just not very fun. What did you think of it?

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm in it for the story. I have no qualms about hitting all three hints to proceed. But the game type doesn't really get its hooks into me. I haven't finished this one or The Walking Dead.

And today, it was 'gaming' that I could accomplish through a Benadryl haze.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

You didn't like all the Monkey Island, Sam & Max, and Homestar episodes?
I have but one advocate.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Haven't played any of those.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Homestar was the best.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Grand Theft Auto 5. Finished it last night (although at nowhere near 100% completion.) I loved it - it is one of my favorites in the series, right up there with San Andreas. I liked the SA setting a little better, mostly due to the era, but GTA V was such a beautifully polished game, and I loved the characters. GTA has never had characters as fleshed out as Michael, Franklin, and Trump Trevor.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Blackhawk wrote:GTA has never had characters as fleshed out as Michael, Franklin, and Drumpf Trevor.
I never put those two together in my mind before but that would make a really funny mashup if someone could animate Drumpf's face into the game and just showed videos of him doing his thing.

killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Finished Borderlands 2 yesterday (after a 3 year hiatus), just finished the best DLC Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon's Keep. The boss fight at the end of that one was 5x harder than the base game ending.

Excellent game all around.
There is no hug button. Sad!
wi111

Post by wi111 »

2016 Games List

In Progress
Saints Row 4
Drgaon's Dogma Dark ArisenNG+ DLC
Witcher 2 (the other path)
My Summer Vocation Portable (PSP)

Finish
Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist
What an ODD ball walking sim

Framed (Android)
interesting puzzle game with nice art design

Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
Finish the main story, what a surprise good game, the combat are great and the thrill of explorer danger dungeon or like has been miss for me for so long 8-) ,the fear of stumble up on new mini boss monster specially in the dark of night really is great when later on meet those mini boss again can dispatch them with ease really feel a bit sorry for them so i avoid to kill them any more if i can :(
Higher recommend for anyone interesting in a action rpg.

Fire Watch
Great Walking sim i even play ,the feel of the environment even not as big as it may seen by turn off GPS , use the map manually to figure out where i am n where to go make the walking a lot more fun and extend the game length quit a bit for me too .finish it at about 6 hours , from what i see most ppl finish it at about 3~4 hours , i like the story and the way it make up wonder what direction the story heading in the mid game. GOTY for me so far

Emily is away
play it right after fire watch both kinda of emotion games, Emily is an interesting little story/game in a nostalgic form

Witcher 2
The story and presentation are good but the map seen so small compare with W1 , lucky it still had some very well written side quests
no many grey decisions as W1 which is shame IMO. for story W2 really is game of its class but for game play mechanic

SO far 2 RPGs both in different opposite extreme end

Witcher 2 for story n choose , Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen for game play mechanic ie COMBAT
i wonder why no one talk about Dragon's Dogma here it is really a hidden gem IMHO
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There was some discussion about it back during the original console release, but I agree - it was a great action RPG (just don't expect complex story choices.) A little bit Witcher, a little bit Dark Souls, but very, very rewarding.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist
What an ODD ball walking sim
Still free, btw. Also worth multiple playthroughs as I find something a little different each time.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I finished Pony Island last weekend, which was one of the more bizarre games I've ever played. It's a mix of platformer and logic puzzles, told through a somewhat insane lens of chirpy retro game meets satanic possession. I'd highly recommend it, but would also suggest you go into it with as little info as possible. It's quite fantastic, and only takes 2-3 hours to finish.
YellowKing wrote:I finished Super Mario Brothers 3D World today. The kids and I have been working on it since Christmas, and it's been a great bonding experience. The game can get a little difficult towards the end so I ended up playing it for them more often than not, but they still surprised me with how much content they got through completely on their own.

Fantastic game that took me right back to playing Mario as a kid. We're going to pick up New Super Mario Brothers Wii U next.
Little B 7.1 and I worked through Super Mario 3D World last year, and had an absolute blast. That game alone has make my Wii U worth the price. I was amazed to see her skill level increase as we played...she's quite good at it now. New Super Mario U is probably up next for us as well.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

wi111 wrote:i wonder why no one talk about Dragon's Dogma here it is really a hidden gem IMHO
I put about 20 hours into it back on my PS3, and mostly enjoyed it. Picked it up again when it released on PC and played it for about 5 hours, but the pawn system was completely broken at release. You received no XP or items whenever anyone used your pawn, friend's pawns wouldn't show up, etc.

I set it aside until it got fixed, but now don't really remember how to play. I've been considering going back to it, but am not sure I want to replay that first 5 hours again for a third time.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Took a break from "new" games. Played a few games of Civ 5. Working on getting the leader achievements. Also played a game of Endless Space. Forgot how tough that one can be. And dabbling in Diablo III; getting ready for the Season 5 end.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
wi111

Post by wi111 »

Skinypupy wrote:
wi111 wrote:i wonder why no one talk about Dragon's Dogma here it is really a hidden gem IMHO
I put about 20 hours into it back on my PS3, and mostly enjoyed it. Picked it up again when it released on PC and played it for about 5 hours, but the pawn system was completely broken at release. You received no XP or items whenever anyone used your pawn, friend's pawns wouldn't show up, etc.

I set it aside until it got fixed, but now don't really remember how to play. I've been considering going back to it, but am not sure I want to replay that first 5 hours again for a third time.
Pawn get no Xp from hiring is by design , for No item in return it is up to the people hire them.

i only play offline even without the pawn hiring the game still good,
so don't miss it specially you enjoy it
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Another one down. Finished Dead Island: Riptide with a friend.

And added some more in progress.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Finished Lords of Xulima and had a great time playing this challenging but rewarding game. Once you make it past the first few levels, it actually becomes easier as you learn the rules and discover the dangers. From them on, it's honing those lessons and melding your party so that they can collectively and singularly focus on their strengths.
edit = went with a Stun-based party. w/o a cleric, the Paladin took frontline duty and did some healing; w/o a Bard, the Mage read Bard spell scrolls as required.

Barbarian, Paladin, Barbarian, Gaulen (bow),
---------, Mage, Thief, ------------
6 o' 8 tentacles