6 dead in Kalamazoo random shootings

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

6 dead in Kalamazoo random shootings

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Good morning, America.
KALAMAZOO, Mich. -- A gunman who authorities believe chose victims at random shot people in the parking lots of a western Michigan apartment complex, car dealership and restaurant, killing at least six and seriously injuring two others -- including a 14-year-old girl -- during a rampage and subsequent manhunt that spanned nearly seven hours.

Forty-five-year-old Jason Dalton of Kalamazoo County was arrested early Sunday in downtown Kalamazoo following a massive manhunt after the shootings began early Saturday evening, said Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety Chief Jeff Hadley. Hadley said Dalton, who is being held at the county jail, has no known criminal history.

Kalamazoo County Undersheriff Paul Matyas described a terrifying rampage that began about 6 p.m. outside the Meadows Apartment complex in Richland Township, on the eastern edge of Kalamazoo County, where a woman was shot multiple times and seriously wounded. She was scheduled for surgery Sunday morning.

A little more than four hours later and 15 miles away, a father and son were fatally shot while looking at cars at the dealership. Fifteen minutes after that, five people -- including the teenage girl who police originally said had been killed, based on a pronouncement by medical officials -- were gunned down in the parking lot of a Cracker Barrel restaurant along Interstate 94, Matyas said. Police said Sunday morning the injured teen remained in serious condition.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
msduncan

Re: 6 dead in Kalamazoo random shootings

Post by msduncan »

I think this might qualify as a Spree killer.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

They are reporting that he was an Uber driver and was driving fares around Kzoo in between shooting people.

Just horrible.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Z-Corn wrote:They are reporting that he was an Uber driver and was driving fares around Kzoo in between shooting people.
Ugh, how fucked up.

At the Cracker Barrel, all the victims were in their cars. Two victims at a car dealership. And I think the victim at the apartment complex was waiting in her car in the parking log. Not that that necessarily makes a pattern but with the Uber thing, he may have had some weird car motive going on. What a piece of shit.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I just found out that the suspect was a good friend on one of my nieces and her husband. They guy was a family man and a boyscout leader. His family and my nieces camped together during the summer and the guys son and my nieces son are friends. I didnt know the guy myself but this is a weird perspective to have, in one of these situations. In complete respect for those families who have lost and suffered by this mans hand I have to say I am thankful that he chose to go after random targets instead of familiar ones.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Holman

Post by Holman »

rshetts2 wrote:I just found out that the suspect was a good friend on one of my nieces and her husband. They guy was a family man and a boyscout leader. His family and my nieces camped together during the summer and the guys son and my nieces son are friends. I didnt know the guy myself but this is a weird perspective to have, in one of these situations. In complete respect for those families who have lost and suffered by this mans hand I have to say I am thankful that he chose to go after random targets instead of familiar ones.
I just wouldn't know how to react to that news. I'm glad to hear that your people weren't in the line of fire. Did your niece ever have any indication that he was a murderer in the making?

I know sometimes people just lose their minds, but the typical murderer has been moving towards the crime for some time.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Z-Corn wrote:Just horrible.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This seems like the very definition of Random Randomness.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Wait... so he would actually take the people to their location and drop them off safely before finding someone else random and shooting them? Or was he shooting the Uber passengers?
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Holman wrote:
rshetts2 wrote:I just found out that the suspect was a good friend on one of my nieces and her husband. They guy was a family man and a boyscout leader. His family and my nieces camped together during the summer and the guys son and my nieces son are friends. I didnt know the guy myself but this is a weird perspective to have, in one of these situations. In complete respect for those families who have lost and suffered by this mans hand I have to say I am thankful that he chose to go after random targets instead of familiar ones.
I just wouldn't know how to react to that news. I'm glad to hear that your people weren't in the line of fire. Did your niece ever have any indication that he was a murderer in the making?

I know sometimes people just lose their minds, but the typical murderer has been moving towards the crime for some time.
By what my niece says he was a normal everyday family man. There was nothing overt that would have led her to believe that he was in anyway capable of these shootings. It seems like he just flipped. The man clearly needed help but there wasn't much in the way of signs that he did. My niece is complete torn up about this. She trusted him. She allowed her son to be alone in the woods with him and his son. I think she is going to have trust issues for the rest of her life over this.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

msduncan wrote:Wait... so he would actually take the people to their location and drop them off safely before finding someone else random and shooting them?
That's what they are saying. He dropped a party of at a hotel and then went next door to the Cracker Barrel and shot two cars full of women.

There is a report that he was driving erratically, speeding and sideswiping cars with an Uber customer in the car.

http://woodtv.com/2016/02/21/kzoo-count ... on-dalton/
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

He dropped off his last Uber fare 20 minutes before police arrested him, well after all the shootings. One of the passengers asked him if he was the shooter and he responded that he was not.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Wow, glad they're all safe. Still going to affect them but all things considered, they're fortunate.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Might have been the phone call.
An Uber passenger said he called police to report that Dalton was driving erratically more than an hour before the shootings began.

Matt Mellen told Kalamazoo television station WWMT that he hailed a ride around 4:30 p.m. Saturday. He said Dalton introduced himself as "Me-Me" and had a dog in the back seat.

Mellen sat in front. About a mile into the trip, Dalton got a phone call, and when he hung up, he began driving recklessly, blowing through stop signs and sideswiping cars, Mellen said.

"We were driving through medians, driving through the lawn, speeding along, and when we came to a stop, I jumped out of the car and ran away," Mellen said. He said he called police and that when he got to his friend's house, his fiancée posted a warning to friends on Facebook.
Since Dalton's arrest, several people have come forward to say that he picked them up for Uber in the hours after the first attack.

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I sure hope they can get into his cellphone.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

GreenGoo wrote:I sure hope they can get into his cellphone.
I'm sure Apple will be happy to help.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

We need a sarcastic winky.

Just saying.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Shooter told police he was possessed by Uber app:
"Dalton then explains how when he opens up the Uber taxi app a symbol appeared and he recognized that symbol as the Eastern Star symbol. Dalton acknowledged that he recognized the Uber symbol as being that of the Eastern Star and a devil head popped up on his screen and when he pressed the button on the app, that is when all the problems started."
"Dalton said that as soon as the police officer stopped him tonight, the symbol went from black to red and he felt like he was no longer being guided," Moorian wrote. "Dalton said that was the reason he didn't shoot the officer because the app went from black to red ... Dalton said that if he would've never ever mentioned the Uber symbol resembling the Eastern star, he never would've had any problems."
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Someone's prepping an insanity plea.
Covfefe!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

It's Uber's fault! Give me $10 Million for making me kill those people. :evil:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NBC News
Jason Dalton halted jury selection in his trial with surprise guilty pleas to six counts of murder, two counts of attempted murder and eight counts of felony use of a firearm, according to prosecutors. He faces life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Dalton's attorney, who had previously said he wouldn't pursue an insanity defense for his client, said Dalton was pleading guilty against his advice, to shield his family and victims' families from the emotional toll of a trial, NBC affiliate WOOD reported. Jury selection began last week and was due to end Monday.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

The double insanity plea. So crazy he knows he's crazy so he wants to play sane, and later his crazy gets attention and he's moved a mental hospital instead of lingering as someone's new June Bug.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.