(Boardgame) Star Wars Rebellion by FFG

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

baelthazar

Re: (Boardgame) Star Wars Rebellion by FFG

Post by baelthazar »

Scoop20906 wrote:
baelthazar wrote:FYI, the copies have been loaded onto an Imperial Shuttle and are en route to Alderan (status is now "On the Boat")!
Well, the "On the Boat" status is gone so that is some type of progress. Now it is just unavailable. I guess we are still looking at April.
They recently posted a release date. I think it was March 31 - https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/n ... civil-war/
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Oh! Missed this. Thanks for the heads up!
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

So this is coming out this week? I haven't been this excited for a board game release in awhile.
Black Lives Matter.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I'm still wanting to get it, but there's two COIN games coming out next month that I also want. Since those seem to be selling out immediately now, I'll probably grab those and try and get this later in the year or something.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chaz wrote:I'm still wanting to get it, but there's two COIN games coming out next month that I also want. Since those seem to be selling out immediately now, I'll probably grab those and try and get this later in the year or something.
Is one of them Pendragon?
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Review on Ars.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I have it pre ordered (with quadropolis in the same order). I'm fairly excited for it, but the long play time is something that means it won't hit the table very often. Soon enough though it'll be out.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chrisoc13 wrote:I have it pre ordered (with quadropolis in the same order). I'm fairly excited for it, but the long play time is something that means it won't hit the table very often. Soon enough though it'll be out.
I suspect I will play it IRL once or twice, but given the length as long as a Vassal module is made I will play it many times via that format (which, among other things, makes it much more convenient to play late hours and to break it up over two or three evenings).
Black Lives Matter.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

This is a perfect Christmas present for my sister and her husband. I don't expect to play until then. Even though it's tempting.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Zarathud wrote:This is a perfect Christmas present for my sister and her husband. I don't expect to play until then. Even though it's tempting.
I have a copy pre-ordered. I'll have it at OctoCon.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
stessier

Post by stessier »

Drat. I don't suppose you're holding Octocon in Atlanta this year?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

El Guapo wrote:
Chaz wrote:I'm still wanting to get it, but there's two COIN games coming out next month that I also want. Since those seem to be selling out immediately now, I'll probably grab those and try and get this later in the year or something.
Is one of them Pendragon?
Falling Sky (Gallic War) and the Cuba Libre reprint. Pendragon's much further out.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Reading the review, it sounds like combat can be a cumbersome affair since there is literally four dice rolls for each round of combat and there can be multiple rounds. I need to work on a cheatsheet for this stuff when I finally get to introduce the game to a friend.

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

This is now shipping on Amazon for about $75. I know I would almost never get to play it and I'm still tempted...

Someone post some impressions on how it plays with four players or if you could play as teams with more players and still have it be satisfying for everyone. :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

We saw it at our local game store last night during an open board game night. It's a freakin' beast of a box, that's all I can say. There was no way I was plopping down a hundred bucks though.
Covfefe!
MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

I pre-ordered through Miniature Market, but it has been in the "contents verified" status since about noon. Should I go ahead and assume it is not going to ship for me today?
My boardgames for sale:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=90573
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Knowing my experience with miniature market my guess is they will email you tonight saying it shipped, but the tracking number won't work until maybe tomorrow night when it will actually get picked up.

In a somewhat related note, this is my first pre order in a long time I'm getting from cool stuff Inc and not miniature market. Mostly because miniature market went to FedEx smart post for their free shipping. That literally added a week to most of my orders arriving so I'm on cool stuff again now for a while. But mine is combined with quadropolis do it won't be arriving for 3 more weeks anyways.

Can't wait to hear more of what people think of rebellion. For me it might be a one or twice a year type game but hopefully it's good enough to make it worthwhile.
MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

The status just updated to "shipped", but no tracking yet. Hopefully it really is shipped today, so I should get it saturday (usps 2 day).
My boardgames for sale:

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Coming home with me. I had $20 off at my FLGS so it was easier to swallow.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
RMC

Post by RMC »

I keep wanting to pull the trigger on this. But even at only 70 bucks, it is a 2-4 player game, and I am not sure I will have the right gaming group for that. We almost always have 5+ people at our gaming days, so the 4 player games don't get played as much as I would like.... <Sigh>
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

It's easier for me to wait on this because it's published by Fantasy Flight. I've got time to save up for it because it's not likely to go out of print anytime soon.
MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

Hopefully, mine will deliver tomorrow. No tracking yet, but they did say it shipped yesterday. If it did, then tomorrow should be the day.

I also added the expansion for Abyss and card sleeves for Rebellion.
My boardgames for sale:

Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Archinerd wrote:It's easier for me to wait on this because it's published by Fantasy Flight. I've got time to save up for it because it's not likely to go out of print anytime soon.
This is exactly the tack I'm taking on this. It'll probably wind up on my birthday list for July. Even if I got it right now, the chances of me playing it in the next six months are pretty slim anyway.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's en route! Apparently left a FedEx location in Pennsylvania this morning, and should be here by Monday or Tuesday.
Black Lives Matter.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Reading the rulez. Has anyone figured out how the Imperial Project deck works?

The Imperial action card "research and development" reads:
Resolve in any system that has Imperial loyalty. Choose 1of the following:

Draw 2 project cards. Choose 1 to keep and place the other on the bottom of the deck.

Remove a sabotage marker from this system and draw 1 project card.

Ok, how do you draw project cards? There is no project deck and project cards seem to be part of the action deck.

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Scoop20906 wrote:Reading the rulez. Has anyone figured out how the Imperial Project deck works?

The Imperial action card "research and development" reads:
Resolve in any system that has Imperial loyalty. Choose 1of the following:

Draw 2 project cards. Choose 1 to keep and place the other on the bottom of the deck.

Remove a sabotage marker from this system and draw 1 project card.

Ok, how do you draw project cards? There is no project deck and project cards seem to be part of the action deck.
Ok, ignore this. It is clearly written in the set up rulez which I somehow missed.

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I'll be trying this out on Saturday. I'll post on what I think and how things went.

MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

My oldest boy and I have played 3 games of Star Wars Rebellion. And we want more!

Man, we love this game. So far, I have won two games, he won one. Imperial have won twice (once by me and once by him) and the Rebels won once (by me).

The game is tense, as both sides. It is quite thematic. We are able to get a game played in right around 3 hours.

This last game we played, my youngest son and I were the Rebels, Christian was the Empire. Really came right down to the wire. Palpatine turned Leia to the darkside and she just caused havoc diplomatically. The Rebels took out a Death Star over Yavin. The Rebel Base was on Dantooine, and Christian was right next to it on Dathomir, with a Super Star Destroyer and some TIE fighters and 3 or 4 AT-ST, several Stormtroopers, and am AT-AT. I decided to strike first...the final battle took place over Dathomir where I had 3 Calamari Cruisers, 2 Corellian Corvettes, and several X-wing and Y-Wings. We brought down the Super Star Destroyer, gaining tge last reputation we needed to bring the Galaxy to rise up and revolt against the Empire. Poor Jan Dodonna was captured, tortured by an Interrogation Droid, then finally frozen in carbonite. Luke & Han attempted a rescue...but was not able to pull it off. Just a great game.

Christian very well could have won, but he was quite focused on Endor, thinking the Rebel Base was located there. Thankfully, he focused too much, neglecting the other side if the map where the actual base was.

Like I said...awesome game. And Christian is wanting to play again! He said the next time we play, and he is the Empire, it will be The Empire Strikes Back.
My boardgames for sale:

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

MythicalMino wrote: Palpatine turned Leia to the darkside and she just caused havoc diplomatically.
Yep, they are definitely going to be getting my money at some point.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Awesome write up. I'm imagining how Palpatine turned Leia and she got a cool black outfit and could throw force lightning. Yep that helped with negotiations.

baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Hey MM, how long did your games take, approximately?

Also, should I sell of Forbidden Stars and get this?
MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

The last two games have taken right around three hours.

As for Forbidden Stars....I like Rebellion better. The theme, I like better. Forbidden Stars, though I liked it, seemed to be long to simply be long. Rebellion may be long, but the game has been so engrossing to us. And the "Star Wars Moments" are great.

If it was one or the other....all the way Rebellion, in my opinion. This is one of those games I am so glad I got (ranking up there with Blood Rage, Fallen, and War of the Ring).
My boardgames for sale:

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Anyone try it with four people yet? Would it work with say, two teams of three?
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Lordnine wrote:Anyone try it with four people yet? Would it work with say, two teams of three?
I'll hopefully be trying it with 4 people on Thursday, impressions to follow.

After reading the rules, it's not really suited for more than 4 unless you're just houseruling your own way of making decisions together. There's a flipside to the player mat to use for a team of 2, and the game sorta gives ground unit responsibilities to one player and space unit responsibilities to the other.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Anyone else's Death Star's kind of warped/mangled? The bottom of my Death Stars were definitely more oval than round. I forced the top on, but it isn't very secure...
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I think the fun of multiple people to a side is the discussion of strategy but also being careful not to give things away to the other side. It doesn't look like the four player rules are particularly interesting but coming to a group decision on how to handle the war might be fun with the right people.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It sounds a lot like War of the Ring, where it's really a 2 player game but they shoehorned in 4 player rules mostly to try to appeal to a larger audience.
Black Lives Matter.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Setting up our first run through the game, really looking forward to it.

I doubt we'll ever play it with more than two, but the 3-4 player rules basically revolve around the "leaders". A big chunk of the game is essentially worker placement. Leaders are assigned to complete missions, oppose missions the other player attempts and to "activate" regions on the map so units can move there and fight. You start the game with 4 leaders and recruit 1 per turn for the first handful of turns. Those leaders are highlighted in orange or blue and players on the same team control one color each and are each responsible for drawing and carrying out certain cards. The rules mention each player has the final say in how "their" leaders are used. Essentially just team discussions but in the end one player can say "screw it, I'm sending Admiral Ackbar here".

Also note that the rules specify in a 3 player game, one player is the Rebels, the other 2 play the Empire.
MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

Rebellion has been a huge hit for my boys and I. We played another game last night (my two boys as Rebels vs my wife and I as Empire). We won...but it was close. The only real mistake they made was where they moved their base to. It was a gamble what they did, and was very risky, and in the end, that risk didn't pay off for them.

They were first at Toydaria, which is slot right in the middle of the game board. I never really suspected there, but did started making threatening comments about the death star paying the Toydarian a visit. They moved the base from there after that. They had 2 choices (after the game, they told us). Tatooine or Alderaan. Christian wanted Tatooine, but Jacob at the last second chose Alderaan. A few comments slipped from them, leading me to Alderaan. Too bad for them, as there were two massive fleets sitting in two adjacent systems. Easy battle takes place and the Empire wins.
If they would have taken Tatooine as the new base, they most likely would have won, because I was 2 turns away from Tatooine, so I probably would not have gotten there in time, if I would have even thought they were there to begin with.

Movibg the Rebel Base "behind enemy lines" can work sometimes...but it didn't this time.

This game, we started at 5:30 and it was over at 8:10. The game is already set up for another one tonight. As soon as it was over, Christian asked to play it again...last night! So yeah...this one is a keeper (both the game and the boy! LOL)
My boardgames for sale:

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I kind of wonder if there should be some type of bonus for the location of the Rebel base. Like planets in the region get bonus dice or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk