(Boardgame) Star Wars Rebellion by FFG

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Scoop20906

Re: (Boardgame) Star Wars Rebellion by FFG

Post by Scoop20906 »

Zarathud wrote:Next time, I need to oppose Rebel missions less and focus on finding their base!
And this is one of the things I love about playing this game. There are several paths to victory and not one that works every game. Say you spread out your star fleet to find the base but when you find it you don't have a fleet capable of defeating the Rebels entrenched base. Also you need to play the propaganda war too to stop the Rebels from gaining objective cards. And protect your death stars. Destroying one can give the Rebels TWO objective points. Ouch!
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scoop20906 wrote:
Still I was wrong about so many rulez that I think I need to concede the game to you.
Woot! Retroactive technical victory! Glory to the Empire!

Seriously, don't worry about it - that's going to happen the first time or two through a game, plus I'm pretty sure we screwed up rules in my favor too (for one, it was too easy for me to turn Luke to the dark side the way we did it).

We'll have to do it again sometime.
Black Lives Matter.
MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

What a great game!

Star Wars Rebellion against Christian. He was Rebels, I was Empire....the final battle happened over Nal Hutta. I almost destroyed all of his fighters...only one survived...he plays Death Star Plans, along with One in a Million. End result? Death Star goes BOOM....game over as that pushes the support over the time marker.

If I could have destroyed that last fighter, I had Super Laser Online ready to go...but, the Rebels take the win.
My boardgames for sale:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=90573
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Great ending! Who was piloting the X-wing? Luke or Wedge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

I guess it would have been luke. Wedge wasn't there. Also....it was a Y-Wing.
My boardgames for sale:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=90573
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

MythicalMino wrote:
If I could have destroyed that last fighter,
Been there!
Black Lives Matter.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

MythicalMino wrote:What a great game!

Star Wars Rebellion against Christian. He was Rebels, I was Empire....the final battle happened over Nal Hutta. I almost destroyed all of his fighters...only one survived...he plays Death Star Plans, along with One in a Million. End result? Death Star goes BOOM....game over as that pushes the support over the time marker.

If I could have destroyed that last fighter, I had Super Laser Online ready to go...but, the Rebels take the win.
We basically had the same game ending today, albeit with a few more fighters surviving to make the trench run. Whew!

So far, we've had 3 wins to the Rebels, 1 to the Empire.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I have found it is very hard to win as the Empire so far.

RMC

Post by RMC »

You all suck. I bought this game for no other reason than reading your opinions. <sigh>

Now I have to get some people over to play it...
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Oh! I forgot that I got to play this with my BIL last weekend! I think we did everything correct, although there were some nuanced that we may have missed (we initially missed that two characters can be assigned to a mission and that all people in the system, not just those assigned, will oppose and defend). Combat seemed a little difficult to grasp, particularly when damage was dealt and when cards can be played (also, destroyed units still roll their die, right).

That all being said, this may be my favorite boardgame of all time. The theme just pushes what is already an interesting and elegant wargame over the top. Sure, it could be a fantasy map with orks, or a Buck Rogers map, or a map of 19th century Earth - but because you are deploying AT-STs and AT-ATs, something just feels so much MORE about it.

I played as the Rebels and I will say that I did not do well. I could never quite get the units enough to make any sort of strike, even with a Jedi Luke and both Han and Chewie out there. One problem is I completed missed the production icons on the Rebel base, so I was missing a few X-Wings/Y-Wings and troopers (but I doubt that the 4 units each would have turned the tide). The one thing I tried to do was to tie down his forces with missions - putting a pretty key sabotage or intel gathering mission in a system with his units, so that he would have to choose to oppose and stop me, but tie down his units or allow my mission to succeed. In the end I lost, and I really had only done a few objectives, so I clearly need some practice with the game. Still... so amazing. Can't wait to play it again.

We clocked in at 5 hours including the time it took to teach it. I would say the next game will be significantly shorter.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Just picked this up along with Runewars the other day. Hopefully be able to get a game in soon.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Sepiche wrote:Just picked this up along with Runewars the other day. Hopefully be able to get a game in soon.
I love Runewars. Did you get the expansion for Runewars as well? I had hoped that they would add some new factions to the game, but it doesn't seem like that will happen.

Oh, and I like Rebellion as well, only played it once and it is sitting on my shelf.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I just grabbed a copy of this from the crazy MM sale. There are so many minis in there.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Scoop20906

(Boardgame) Star Wars Rebellion by FFG

Post by Scoop20906 »

I had another great session on Friday. We has five people for the game. Three on the Rebel side and two on the Empire side.

First off the draw of planets was adantagous to the rebels where all imperial worlds were concentrated in the south and western parts of the galaxy and two of the rebel systems were in the northwest of the map at least two turns from any imperial fleets. This allowed the rebels to concentrate on diplomacy missions to build a block of rebel systems surrounding the hidden rebel base on Tatooine.

Also a key battle took place at the beginning of the game on Mon Calmari. It started the game as a rebel planet and the rebel chose to garrison it with six rebel troopers and two snow speeders even through the empire had a sizable ground force one system away. The Empire moved in to invade and prevent the the rebels from gaining a Mon Cal Cruiser however the rebels were able to draw a tie with all ground forces on both sides destroyed. This allowed the planet to stay in rebel hands even though the Empire had space superority.

Also, the empire spent many turns attempting to capture Princess Leia however several times Rebel heros came to her rescue including R2D2 giving up his life to delay Darth Vader while Leia was able to escape capture.

The Empire did strike a crucial blow against the rebels by capturing Mon Mothma and turning her to Dark Side. A dark side Mon Mothma was effective against the rebels diplomatic attempts to sway more systems to their side.

But by that time, the rebels has built up a small but effective strike force and as the Empire moved it's Death Star towards the rebel systems the rebels were prepared to strike.

First, Han Solo lead a pre-strike to destroy three health of units (tie fighters) protecting the Death Star. Then Luke Skywalker lead a daring raid with two X-Wings and six Y-Wings to attack the Death Star using the stolen plans. After one round of space combat, Luke piloted a Y-Wing down the trench and used his "One in a Million Shot" to destroy the Death Star.

This blow to the Empire's reputation was too much and two turns later the Galaxy rebeled against the Empire.

Loads of fun and I think this game is much better for groups where peoeple can discuss strategy.