[Sid Meier] Civilization VI

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

[Sid Meier] Civilization VI

Post by Smoove_B »

It's not very often that STEAM surprises me with a game announcement:
Originally created by legendary game designer Sid Meier, Civilization is a turn-based strategy game in which you attempt to build an empire to stand the test of time. Become Ruler of the World by establishing and leading a civilization from the Stone Age to the Information Age. Wage war, conduct diplomacy, advance your culture, and go head-to-head with history’s greatest leaders as you attempt to build the greatest civilization the world has ever known.

Civilization VI offers new ways to engage with your world: cities now physically expand across the map, active research in technology and culture unlocks new potential, and competing leaders will pursue their own agendas based on their historical traits as you race for one of five ways to achieve victory in the game.

EXPANSIVE EMPIRES:
See the marvels of your empire spread across the map like never before. Each city spans multiple tiles so you can custom build your cities to take full advantage of the local terrain.

ACTIVE RESEARCH:
Unlock boosts that speed your civilization’s progress through history. To advance more quickly, use your units to actively explore, develop your environment, and discover new cultures.

DYNAMIC DIPLOMACY:
Interactions with other civilizations change over the course of the game, from primitive first interactions where conflict is a fact of life, to late game alliances and negotiations.
COMBINED ARMS:
Expanding on the “one unit per tile” design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful “Corps” units.

ENHANCED MULTIPLAYER:
In addition to traditional multiplayer modes, cooperate and compete with your friends in a wide variety of situations all designed to be easily completed in a single session.

A CIV FOR ALL PLAYERS:
Civilization VI provides veteran players new ways to build and tune their civilization for the greatest chance of success. New tutorial systems introduce new players to the underlying concepts so they can easily get started.
Official announcement trailer, coming October 21st, 2016
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Re: [Sid Meier] Civilization VI

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:It's not very often that STEAM surprises me with a game announcement:
Originally created by legendary game designer Sid Meier, Civilization is a turn-based strategy game in which you attempt to build an empire to stand the test of time. Become Ruler of the World by establishing and leading a civilization from the Stone Age to the Information Age. Wage war, conduct diplomacy, advance your culture, and go head-to-head with history’s greatest leaders as you attempt to build the greatest civilization the world has ever known.

Civilization VI offers new ways to engage with your world: cities now physically expand across the map, active research in technology and culture unlocks new potential, and competing leaders will pursue their own agendas based on their historical traits as you race for one of five ways to achieve victory in the game.

EXPANSIVE EMPIRES:
See the marvels of your empire spread across the map like never before. Each city spans multiple tiles so you can custom build your cities to take full advantage of the local terrain.

ACTIVE RESEARCH:
Unlock boosts that speed your civilization’s progress through history. To advance more quickly, use your units to actively explore, develop your environment, and discover new cultures.

DYNAMIC DIPLOMACY:
Interactions with other civilizations change over the course of the game, from primitive first interactions where conflict is a fact of life, to late game alliances and negotiations.
COMBINED ARMS:
Expanding on the “one unit per tile” design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful “Corps” units.

ENHANCED MULTIPLAYER:
In addition to traditional multiplayer modes, cooperate and compete with your friends in a wide variety of situations all designed to be easily completed in a single session.

A CIV FOR ALL PLAYERS:
Civilization VI provides veteran players new ways to build and tune their civilization for the greatest chance of success. New tutorial systems introduce new players to the underlying concepts so they can easily get started.
Official announcement trailer, coming October 21st, 2016

Maybe it's almost time to rebuy Civ V in a complete form and give it another try.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I'm looking forward to it, although I'm a little concerned about them bringing back the 'stacks of doom'. I'll be interested in how that aspect works out.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I have a friend of a friend that has 8,728 hours played on Civ V. That's the equivalent of 4.2 years of a full time job. For a game that was released 5 2/3 years ago.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote:Maybe it's almost time to rebuy Civ V in a complete form and give it another try.
Complete is on sale for $12.49.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Now all the gaming sites are coming out with their info. Here is Polygon:

City building:
He says that the "number one" problem the team has identified about Civ 5 is that players often settle on certain strategic paths, and they play the same way every time. For example, when I build cities, I'm almost always looking at Monument, Shrine, Granary, Library, Walls, Coliseum. I rarely change this formula, nor others theirs.

This is why Civ 6's cities are different. "It’s as big a change for the economic side of the game as unstacking the armies was with Civ 5," says Beach. "We want to throw different things at the player at different times and make them have to adapt."

A city's surrounding countryside will still be a maximum of 36 hexes, but they will now host buildings and improvements, beyond farms, mines, camps, etc. Beach calls these "districts."
Stacking:
"When we unstacked the armies in Civ 5, all the tactical nuances of having cavalry and archers and melee units separated on separate tiles created little rock-paper-scissors combinations that were very clear for players to understand," says Beach. "That was a beautiful win.

"The problem was we had too much congestion on the map. All those spread-out units took up too much real estate. We wanted to think about clever ways to combine the units, which didn’t lose that tactical mini-game. We found that there were two or three areas we could combine units together and it didn’t hurt the tactical nature of the game.

"The first was that there were a lot of units that were just additional equipment for your units. It might be a battering ram or a siege tower or an anti-aircraft gun or an anti-tank gun. In Civ 5 those were all special units that took up a whole dedicated tile. In Civ 6, we call them support units. They can stack with other military units without you having to worry about managing them on a tile by themselves.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote:I have a friend of a friend that has 8,728 hours played on Civ V. That's the equivalent of 4.2 years of a full time job. For a game that was released 5 2/3 years ago.
Or as I calls him, a noob.

Great news, and just in time for gaming season!
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I like what I see in these news features. The stacking makes sense, a middle ground from the huge stacks to no stacks. City idea sounds interesting. Probably be a day one buy for me. Civ always has been.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Please tell me they hired Soren Johnson away from Mohawk to work on VI? :P

Wishful thinking, I know.
Rip

Post by Rip »

So turn based is back?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Rip wrote:So turn based is back?
Back?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Sepiche wrote:
Back?
Perhaps I am misremembering. I never could get into V and I thought I recalled one of the reason being it was realtime, perhaps not. Must have been something else. Either way I hope whatever I didn't like about V is fixed in VI. I do love a Civ game but V<IV by far in my book.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Rip wrote: but V<IV by far in my book.
Opinions vary but I think for me Civ 3 was the best -- until Civ 4 was ultimately "finished" years after it was released through patches and add ons. From what I understand, that's the same with Civ 5 -- comparing release day Civ 5 to the "fully released Civ 4" was pointless; there was no comparison as (I thought) the general consensus was Civ 4 was so much better (at the time). And I think that's my issue with these Civ games now. They seem to release them and then slowly add in the content the overwhelming majority of players wanted on release day, but years later. I dunno...maybe I'm off today but that's my recollection.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Rip wrote:
Sepiche wrote:
Back?
Perhaps I am misremembering. I never could get into V and I thought I recalled one of the reason being it was realtime, perhaps not. Must have been something else. Either way I hope whatever I didn't like about V is fixed in VI. I do love a Civ game but V<IV by far in my book.
ah Yeah, Civ 5 was turn based... you just made me doubt my sanity for a second. :P

I personally loved 5, especially with the culture changes from the last expansion, but then I was never a fan of the stack of doom, and the AI issues with the one unit per hex approach never bothered me.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Maybe, after I finish Civ 5.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Heh.

You write that in jest, but having put more hours into Civ IV than I will ever admit, I actually did hit a point some time last year I think, where after closing the game, I thought to myself "I think I've had enough of Civ IV" - never thought I would hear myself think that, but there it is.

And I think it happened because for the first time, I felt...impatient, even if just in the back of my mind, I was thinking there was probably something else I would enjoy more than this in my ridiculous backlog, if only for the novelty of something different.

Not that I was not enjoying it, but something in me clicked to say "again?!". I remember hitting that point with HOMM III as well, another game I never thought would get old. But again, just the massive amount of hours I poured into HOMM III...oof.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Heh.

You write that in jest, but having put more hours into Civ IV than I will ever admit, I actually did hit a point some time last year I think, where after closing the game, I thought to myself "I think I've had enough of Civ IV" - never thought I would hear myself think that, but there it is.

And I think it happened because for the first time, I felt...impatient, even if just in the back of my mind, I was thinking there was probably something else I would enjoy more than this in my ridiculous backlog, if only for the novelty of something different.

Not that I was not enjoying it, but something in me clicked to say "again?!". I remember hitting that point with HOMM III as well, another game I never thought would get old. But again, just the massive amount of hours I poured into HOMM III...oof.
I wish I had that kind of focus when it comes to games, but with rare exception I have the gaming attention span of a small goldfish. :P
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Sepiche wrote:I wish I had that kind of focus when it comes to games, but with rare exception I have the gaming attention span of a small goldfish. :P
To be fair, it's also a time issue, currently - not so 20 years ago of course. I REALLY know how to play Civ, no learning curve, I can just sit down and get right into it. Even for great games, I either just don't have the time to learn all new interfaces and rules, or the patience (maybe a combo).

It's also probably why I have been replaying some old favorites the past couple years - the Fallouts, Baldur's Gates, etc.

These days, by the time I make it to my desktop at home, it's late night already, and I start dozing off pretty quickly unless I am playing something like The Walking Dead...so yeah...I'm old. :D
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote:It's not very often that STEAM surprises me with a game announcement:
Caught me off guard when I got home and logged in as well.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Once again the preview shows cut scenes and not game play. <sigh>
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
tgb

Post by tgb »

Fingers crossed.

Like the Star Trek movies, the even numbered ones seem to be the most highly regarded. I remain cautiously optimistic that a) this will be a return to the glory that is Civ, and b)my three-year-old rig can run it.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Art style is quite cartoony, but that is not really a turnoff for me as long as the game play is there. Just...surprised they went that direction.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

tgb wrote: I remain cautiously optimistic that a) this will be a return to the glory that is Civ, and b)my three-year-old rig can run it.
My six-year-old gaming machine is on the brink of obsolescence. Hope Civ 6 won't push it over the edge...but it wouldn't be the first time that Civ has made me buy a new computer.

I was just thinking the other day that they're about due. I finally burned out on Civ 5 half a year ago, and after only 3289 hours.

I never did buy that Civ-in-space game. People didn't seem very enthused about it.
persself

Post by persself »

Did not see this coming at all, either. After reading this article at RPS https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/0 ... i-details/, I am really looking forward to it.

I'm especially intrigued by how research will work in VI, as it will be tied to the geography of your cities' surroundings...so no more blasting thru the tech tree (especially in the early game) in the same order every time.
Girl Gamer Extraordinaire-less/Redskins Fan
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

tgb wrote:Fingers crossed.

Like the Star Trek movies, the even numbered ones seem to be the most highly regarded. I remain cautiously optimistic that a) this will be a return to the glory that is Civ, and b)my three-year-old rig can run it.
Civ 5 is quite glorious in its current state.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: I never did buy that Civ-in-space game. People didn't seem very enthused about it.
A sequel to SMAC would likely have been much better. Not sure why they didn't go that route since they already own the successful property.
Black Lives Matter
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Not liking the mobile-esque graphics, but it's Civ, so I'm in day one.

And maybe another trip down to Firaxicon will be in order since it should be right around the release date...
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I hope and expect that someone will do a graphics conversion very quickly, the same way that Blue Marble improved CIV. Reaction to the art style has been polite at best.

Probably won't be Day One for me, even if my rig can run it; I remember how disappointing Civ 5's initial release was, and it didn't really hit its stride until the second expansion. Plus Oct. 21 is just a week before the xmas season starts and my gaming time between Halloween and New Years is pretty limited. I'll most likely wait until after the first of next year.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

From the RPS article above, I found this very interesting:

"Civilization VI does to the city what Civilization V did to the military.

Beach refers to the new mechanic as “unstacking the cities”. “The unstacking of armies revolutionised the way the military side of the game played out and we’re making a similar change on the economic side of the game. Everything is now placed on the map, blowing the cities apart. All of the upgrades that you build are now spread across the landscape in the area of control of each city.”

One of the very few things I prefer in Civ V over IV is the way battles/military are handled, so this should be excellent. Looking forward to it.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Civ 5 didn't hit it's stride with me until the mods came out. Assuming my rig can play it I'll be waiting for the mod community to reach it's stride.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote:Civ 5 didn't hit it's stride with me until the mods came out. Assuming my rig can play it I'll be waiting for the mod community to reach it's stride.
Which mods do you find compelling and why? I've installed most of the DLC and expansions, but none of the mods.
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Nobody other than me thinks the "unstacking of the cities" is a blatant theft of Endless Legends and the way it does cities?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

baelthazar wrote:Nobody other than me thinks the "unstacking of the cities" is a blatant theft of Endless Legends and the way it does cities?
Nope. I can think of a few games off the top of my head that have used a similar system before Endless Legends used it... Elemental, Fallen Enchantress, Warlock 1 & 2, and I'm sure a few more.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

baelthazar wrote:Nobody other than me thinks the "unstacking of the cities" is a blatant theft of Endless Legends and the way it does cities?
I don't know what that is but my main concern is that, like most other elements of Civ, the scale will be way out of whack and you'll have cities that are larger than many countries. The few screenshots I saw don't look like they are scaling the maps to the order of magnitude they ought to be. But like the rest of the game, I'll not try to make rational sense out of it and take it for what it is. Unlike others here, I'm not change-adverse when it comes to Civ games -- I don't need a new coat of paint on the old versions as they play just fine if ever I want that particular game.
Black Lives Matter
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Kraken wrote:I hope and expect that someone will do a graphics conversion very quickly, the same way that Blue Marble improved CIV. Reaction to the art style has been polite at best.

Probably won't be Day One for me, even if my rig can run it; I remember how disappointing Civ 5's initial release was, and it didn't really hit its stride until the second expansion. Plus Oct. 21 is just a week before the xmas season starts and my gaming time between Halloween and New Years is pretty limited. I'll most likely wait until after the first of next year.
If I recall, CIV V cut a lot of features from CIV IV. The articles so far seem to be implying that CIV 6 will contain everything CIV V did as far as major game play features. Will be interesting to see if that's the case.

Based on the screenshots it looks like borders still expand oddly. I'd really like something different. I hate that if I settle two cities too far apart, my country doesn't include what's between them. And there's no other way then waiting for my culture to increase to get that territory.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote:
dbt1949 wrote:Civ 5 didn't hit it's stride with me until the mods came out. Assuming my rig can play it I'll be waiting for the mod community to reach it's stride.
Which mods do you find compelling and why? I've installed most of the DLC and expansions, but none of the mods.
I play with:

Strange Religions - Just because who doesn't want Octopus Overlords? (OK, they call it "Cult of Cthulhu" but you can rename it);
Beyond the future - Extends the tech tree;
City limits - Makes it easier to see zones of control;
Civilization selection bonus tooltips - Shows each civ's bonuses in the setup screen;
InfoAddict - restores all of the reports that got stripped out of CIV. This is a must-have for me;
Perfect World - generate more realistic maps based on plate tectonics.

Note that using *any* mod prevents your game scores from being recorded. They really should have implemented a separate scoreboard for modded games.
Fitzy wrote: If I recall, CIV V cut a lot of features from CIV IV. The articles so far seem to be implying that CIV 6 will contain everything CIV V did as far as major game play features. Will be interesting to see if that's the case.
One of my favorite CIV features was building huts that grew over time into villages and then towns, improving trade and making your cities sprawl while giving you a strong incentive to defend surrounding hexes. It sounds like "unstacking cities" brings that back in spirit, and then some.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Kraken wrote:
Jeff V wrote:
I play with:

Strange Religions - Just because who doesn't want Octopus Overlords? (OK, they call it "Cult of Cthulhu" but you can rename it);
Beyond the future - Extends the tech tree;
City limits - Makes it easier to see zones of control;
Civilization selection bonus tooltips - Shows each civ's bonuses in the setup screen;
InfoAddict - restores all of the reports that got stripped out of CIV. This is a must-have for me;
Perfect World - generate more realistic maps based on plate tectonics.

Note that using *any* mod prevents your game scores from being recorded. They really should have implemented a separate scoreboard for modded games.
Fitzy wrote: If I recall, CIV V cut a lot of features from CIV IV. The articles so far seem to be implying that CIV 6 will contain everything CIV V did as far as major game play features. Will be interesting to see if that's the case.
One of my favorite CIV features was building huts that grew over time into villages and then towns, improving trade and making your cities sprawl while giving you a strong incentive to defend surrounding hexes. It sounds like "unstacking cities" brings that back in spirit, and then some.
It would be nice if certain structures helped expand and focus cultural growth directionally. Think Sea-Tac Airport.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

For Civ5 I use a ton of different civilizations from time to time plus a ton of different maps.
The Pirate civilization is a lot of fun with the Flying Dutchman.
Estuaries and Ptolemy's being a couple of my favorites.
Barbarian unlimited exp
Fortress borders
Horseback scouts
Mercenary army expanded
Remove GDR, Xcom, and Atomic bombs
World Congress disabled
And about a dozen different type of Middle Earth mods and some Game of Thrones mods
And the Ingame Editor from time to time
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Lee

Post by Lee »

Quill18 going over some pre-release gameplay video. Oddly enough, they let him play for 60 turns, but he couldn't record it, so he just goes over some footage they gave him and talks about what he learned.

Looks interesting. Lots of little changes. I like the graphics a lot more seeing them in action as well.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I'm closing in on 1000 hours played in Civ V so yeah I'm excited! :P
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.