Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase Three (and Ant-Man)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase Three (and Ant-Man)

Post by Isgrimnur »

Uproxx
Directors Joe and Anthony Russo are currently on a “victory lap,” you might say (after the incredible run of Captain America: Civil War reviews), through New York City this week. Early on Wednesday, I met them at a Midtown hotel to talk about the new film. During this discussion, Joe dropped a nifty piece of information about their next films, Avengers: Infinity War – Part 1 in 2018 and Avengers: Infinity War – Part 2 in 2019… namely, they won’t be called that much longer.
“The movies are two very different movies,” answered Joe.

I then asked if it’s misleading having them labeled as “Part 1” and “Part 2”

“It is misleading,” said Anthony.

Joe added, “The intention is we will change it, we just haven’t come up with the titles yet. But, yes, we will change it. And, yes, that is a scoop: we will retitle them.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Black Panther casting
Marvel boss Kevin Feige dropped by The Empire Film Podcast recently and explained why he chose to introduce Black Panther in Civil War, and he also discussed the character's upcoming solo film and its cast.

"That will be amongst the best ensembles we've ever had," Feige said of the Black Panther cast, "and 90% of the cast is either African or African-American."

The cast is off to a great start. Aside from Boseman, the past few days have revealed that Michael B. Jordan (Fantastic Four) and Lupita Nyong'o (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) are joining the cast.
Black Panther will slash into theaters on February 16, 2018, and will start shooting in early 2017. It is being directed and co-written by Creed and Fruitvale Station filmmaker, Ryan Coogler.
Podcast at the link. Civil War spoilers, of course.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm very happy that they're doing this. I'm a huge fan of Black Panther. Not only do you get a cool action hero in the mix, but you get a fantastic African realm full of super science and tribal lore. I predict Wakanda will be the real star of the movie.

Of course, Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law ruined all superheroes who self identify by race in their name...for me, at least.
Black Vulcan was Aquaman's idea. So I said, maybe we should just call you White Fish!
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The director of Thor: Ragnarok has been answering fan questions on Twitter.

"Can you please tease one line of dialogue from Thor: Ragnarok?" "How would you describe Hela in Thor: Ragnarok?" "Which of the nine realms makes the best jambalaya?"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Title news
Following one year after Joe and Anthony Russo's The Avengers: Infinity War, Marvel Studios' upcoming The Avengers 4 is different from every other upcoming project in the franchise in one specific way: it's the only one without a title. While the project was originally called The Avengers: Infinity War Part 2, that name was taken away last year when it was revealed that it wasn't really an accurate description of the blockbuster. We've since been left with the mystery of what the film will be called, but there's a very simple explanation as to why it hasn't been revealed yet. According to Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige, it's because the name itself is a spoiler for what comes before it.
Isgrimnur

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase Three (and Ant-Man)

Post by Isgrimnur »

Updated (OP updated as well.)

May 5 2017
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (Daehawk's thread)

July 7 2017 *Sony
Spider-Man: Homecoming (Grifman's thread)

November 3 2017
Thor: Ragnarok (AWS260's thread)

February 16 2018
Black Panther

May 4 2018
Avengers: Infinity War (Daehawk's thread beat out Blackjack's now-out-of-date thread)

July 6 2018
Ant-Man And The Wasp

March 8 2019
Captain Marvel (Hamlet's thread)

May 3 2019
Untitled Avengers: Infinity War Sequel
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

December 2048

Paste Pot Pete: The Stickening
Covfefe!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Isgrimnur wrote:
According to Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige, it's because the name itself is a spoiler for what comes before it.
That's not surprising, but it has to be Infinity Gauntlet, doesn't it? If we know that the next movie is Infinity Gauntlet, then we know that the Avengers don't fully defeat Thanos in Infinity War, and that he likely completes the gauntlet at the end of the movie.

Pure speculation:
Spoiler:
Thanos gets the gauntlet and kills/captures the main Avengers team. The only two movies to come out between the Avengers movies are Ant-Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel. It wouldn't be a big surprise if Ant-Man is somehow either not with the team when they confront Thanos, or avoids capture.
I would like to see a Dark Avengers storyline, but I feel like the time to do that was after Civil War.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Re: the Infinity War/Gauntlet movies, I keep wondering if they will do what they did in the comics:
Spoiler:
Have Thanos kill 50% of the sentient beings in the universe. Nebula ends up being the one who sneaks the gauntlet back and resets things. I really need to re-read that mini-series.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would kill to see Adam Warlock make an appearance. And Pip.
Covfefe!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

hepcat wrote:I would kill to see Adam Warlock make an appearance. And Pip.
There's speculation that Adam Warlock could make an appearance in Guardians. I think it's unlikely, but if they are going to introduce him before Avengers then it's either Guardians or Ragnarok.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

msteelers wrote:
There's speculation that Adam Warlock could make an appearance in Guardians. I think it's unlikely, but if they are going to introduce him before Avengers then it's either Guardians or Ragnarok.
Well if you can trust Gunn, that's not gonna happen. When asked recently if Adam Warlock was in Guardians 2 he said
He’s not. He’s not in Infinity War. But he will be a part of the future Marvel cosmic universe and a pretty important part of that.

In a follow up, the speculation is that he will be a key character in GOTG 3

Heres the article: http://www.slashfilm.com/adam-warlock-g ... he-galaxy/
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I hope they keep him close to Jim Starlin's work. Although I doubt they'll introduce the High Evolutionary.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

God, I loved Jim Starlin's original Captain Marvel run. I based my first Champions character on Captain Marvel. Called him Blue Bolt. Ah, memories...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yup, no one did cosmic better than Starlin. Even Kirby couldn't match him, in my opinion.
Covfefe!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

rshetts2 wrote:
msteelers wrote:
Well if you can trust Gunn, that's not gonna happen. When asked recently if Adam Warlock was in Guardians 2 he said
He’s not. He’s not in Infinity War. But he will be a part of the future Marvel cosmic universe and a pretty important part of that.

In a follow up, the speculation is that he will be a key character in GOTG 3

Heres the article: http://www.slashfilm.com/adam-warlock-g ... he-galaxy/
Fair enough. I've largely avoided the media blitz leading up to this next movie.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: February 16 2017
Black Panther
Dang, I missed it!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:ninja:
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I didn't see an Avengers: Infinity War thread, so apologies if this is double-posted.

The first official trailer dropped this morning.

I can't wait!
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

That trailer is seriously epic, I have to drive at least an hour to be able to see a movie in english but this one will be worth it.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Just watched it twice. Holy crap!!!!!!!

Can. Not. WAIT!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

I hate waiting.

:pop: :pop: :pop:
Black Lives Matter
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Nice trailer.

Looks like hulk will get thrown to Earth and land at Dr. Strange's house. Thanos will attack both New York and Wakanda. Bruce Banner will somehow get from NY to Africa (perhaps in the hulk buster armor?--there is no Tony in the Wakanda scenes). Thor will get rescued by the Guardians. And both Spidey and the Vision are in some serious trouble. :horse:
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:43 pm Bruce Banner will somehow get from NY to Africa (perhaps in the hulk buster armor?--there is no Tony in the Wakanda scenes).
I imagine from one of the portals in Strange's sanctum.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I just checked the release date.

It is WAYYYYY too early to be getting excited about this. It's still 2.5 months until Black Panther.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Get this man a shield . . .

Love it!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I haven't caught up on all the super hero movies (still have to see Wonder Woman and GG2). The trailer made it look like Captain America was coming back. Did he ever leave?
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

McNutt wrote:I haven't caught up on all the super hero movies (still have to see Wonder Woman and GG2). The trailer made it look like Captain America was coming back. Did he ever leave?
Did you see Captain America: Civil War?
Spoiler:
Cap gives up his shield at the end and goes into hiding.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I did, but I don't remember that scene. It seems that 50% of the movies I'm seeing nowadays are superhero movies, so they are all starting to run together.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

McNutt wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:14 pm I did, but I don't remember that scene. It seems that 50% of the movies I'm seeing nowadays are superhero movies, so they are all starting to run together.
Spoiler:
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

It's widely believed that several main characters will die during Avengers: Infinity War and the untitled Avenger 4. Kevin Feige has also said that the MCU will be totally different after Avengers 4, and it will be a distinctly different feel.

So let's start a little Deadpool. Who lives, and who dies?

Safe
  • Guardians of the Galaxy: There's no way any of the major characters here are in danger. Nebula is the only character I think could die confronting Thanos. She's never going to be a full member of the team, but dying to protect her sister would be a satisfying arc for her.
  • Doctor Strange: Cumberbatch is too big of a celebrity and is likely going to have a major role in the MCU moving forward.
  • Spider-Man: There's already a Spider-Man sequel planned for after Avengers 4, so this is as safe as it gets.
  • Ant-Man and The Wasp: Their movie comes out between Infinity War and Avengers 4, so they are at the very least making it through the first movie.
  • Hulk: Mark Ruffalo might be done as Bruce Banner after the Avengers movies, but I seriously doubt they kill off the big green guy.
  • Black Panther: He'll be safe and likely be one of the leaders of the MCU post-Avengers 4.
Moderate Danger
  • Thor: A lot of people think he dies, but I'm not so sure. His story is still ongoing at the end of Ragnarok, and I don't see it ending with him dying in these movies.
  • Winter Soldier: There's plenty of storylines that could see Winter Soldier sacrifice himself, but I think he makes it. I'm pretty sure we'll see him take up the mantle of Captain America at some point.
  • The Falcon: Another candidate for Cap's shield, but I'm just not feeling it.
  • Loki: He has failed Thanos before. I get the impression most people who fail Thanos end up dead.
  • Nick Fury: He hasn't been around much in the newer movies, so it would be easy for the writers to take him out.
  • Scarlet Witch: There isn't any compelling story reason to kill her, but there isn't any compelling reason to keep her around either.
High Danger
  • Iron Man: Downey's contract is coming to an end and it's likely he's ready to move on from the character. Also, his death would resonate the most with the audience.
  • Captain America: Evans' contract is running out, and only the death of Steve Rogers would rival the death of Tony Stark for fans. Plus, it feels like Feige has planned for the eventual death of Steve Rogers from the very beginning, with Winter Soldier or the Falcon taking over.
  • Black Widow or Hawkeye: I expect one, but not both, to die in this movie.
  • Vision: It doesn't look good for him in the trailer, and it's not hard to think that a robot with an Infinity Stone in his forehead is going to be a top target for Thanos.
  • War Machine: He feels like a hero that most people don't care about. If you are looking for characters to pad the death count without having a major impact on the MCU, War Machine would be at the top of the list.
Ultimately, I think Iron Man and War Machine go down in a blaze of glory together. Vision gets turned evil and is killed by the Scarlet Witch. Loki tries to trick Thanos, but meets his match and is killed. And Black Widow gets rid of the red in her ledger by sacrificing herself for someone.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I think War Machine is safe. We've already seen a faux death scene of his in Civil War so I doubt they play that card again. Same with Nick Fury.

I think Iron Man is a real possibility. Downey seems like the most likely of the big names to want to step away from the role. I'm not sure about Evans as I don't see him in other roles much and am too lazy to look him up on IMDB to see if he actually is doing a lot outside of Captain America.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Iron Man made a lot of sense to me at first until I realized they've already set him up to be involved with the new Spider-Man. Granted, it's not a major role but it seems like setting up that connection only to have it end would be a waste of time. I absolutely think Captain America is going to die and I believe his death will set Iron Man (and possibly others) on a new character arc.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:11 am Iron Man made a lot of sense to me at first until I realized they've already set him up to be involved with the new Spider-Man. Granted, it's not a major role but it seems like setting up that connection only to have it end would be a waste of time. I absolutely think Captain America is going to die and I believe his death will set Iron Man (and possibly others) on a new character arc.
I feel like Iron Man's guidance of Spider-Man will continue in Avengers: Infinity War and reach a logical conclusion there. By the end of Avengers 4, Spider-Man is going to be the full on super hero that we all know from the comics. How could he not after going up against Thanos? Side note: it's going to be weird to see Peter Parker return to high school after facing off against the greatest threat in the galaxy.

I agree though that if Iron Man doesn't die, it will be Captain America. I see Steve Rogers surviving, but taking a step back from the front lines and letting somebody else take over the role of Captain America. It could just as easily go the other way though.
DD*

Post by DD* »

But can we talk about how horrible Thanos looks in the trailer? Hopefully this is still early CGI and they will fix this before release (especially as they know what he *should* look like). Of course, they could just be setting up the scene where Thanos KO's the Hulk with the Stone Cold Stunner....

That's a cool Infinity stone. Let me call my buddy who is an expert on rare universe artifacts and have him check it out.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Disney bought 21st Century Fox for $50 billion.

That means that characters like The Fantastic Four and the X-Men are now available for the MCU.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The X-Men franchise is ready for a reboot. Logan was a great way to end those movies. But Deadpool is just getting started. Luckily, Deadpool is the type of character where they can bring him into the MCU and he can make the 4th wall breaking jokes needed to make it work.
stessier

Post by stessier »

It's going to be awesome to have Marvel get the X-men back.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

stessier wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:53 am It's going to be awesome to have Marvel get the X-men back.
I'm actually nervous about that. I'm not a huge fan of the X-Men comics, and the old movies were so hit or miss.

Still, having Professor X, Wolverine, and other characters make a surprise appearance in other MCU movies is very exciting. It's just a standalone X-Men movie that I'm not thrilled about.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

If the deal includes the FF, that's the one that I would love to see get a good treatment. And if I had my way, it would be set in the late 60's/early 70's.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I just want a Galactus that doesn't look like a watery tornado.