What are your next major purchases?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

What are your next major purchases?

Post by Isgrimnur »

Feeding off of GG's keyboard post:

What are the next substantial funds outlays going to get you? Say, $100+ and up.

The short list for me is an electric tiller for the wife so she can start working on the flower beds and a new AV receiver so I can actually feed audio from my 4k tv to it, as my old receiver takes RCA inputs, but my tv doesn't have any non-HDMI outputs other than a headphone jack.

And then there's the new oven we need as well, but that requires coordinating with my BIL to chop the cabinets so I don't need an in-wall unit. And, well, he's been kinda sick...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
YellowKing

Re: What are your next major purchases?

Post by YellowKing »

Fun:

Big theme park trip coming up in June - hitting Beech Bend, Holiday World, and Kentucky Kingdom with a bunch of friends.

Not fun:

We've got to get our back door replaced so I'll be shelling out some money for that.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Hopefully, none for a really long time. From the $400 and up category we get:

April/May has seen Dishwasher, blood diagnostics, and a new computer.

Add Octocon and groceries to that and that's over a month's salary before getting into utilities and such.

This is really hard for a guy who doesn't spend money. Ever. On anything. (and is still bouncing back from buying a furnace last October)

I am stoked to get home and set up new machine, though.

Post by Default »

Last night, 65" LG 4k smart tv. New suit is the next purchase. Black, double-breasted. Probably at Men's Wearhouse. Too fucking old to do off the rack.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Funny time to ask. In the next month were getting a new car, fridge and standalone water/ice machine, laptop/ultrabook/whatever, furniture, and garage remodel

And if I have any budget left, a rifle, gaming PC, and a couple of nice shirts.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Possibly a new house. Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

A new baby. She's already racking up bills in the $thosands.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Nothing ever if I can help it...

Oh wait, next month there is eye surgery for Z(6) if you want to call that a purchase.

Our water heater is 7 years old so I assume that goes in the next year or two.

Our fence needs new stain. That will get done if the rain ever stops.

Will the excitement ever stop?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Isgrimnur wrote:Feeding off of GG's keyboard post:

What are the next substantial funds outlays going to get you? Say, $100+ and up.

The short list for me is an electric tiller for the wife so she can start working on the flower beds and a new AV receiver so I can actually feed audio from my 4k tv to it, as my old receiver takes RCA inputs, but my tv doesn't have any non-HDMI outputs other than a headphone jack.

And then there's the new oven we need as well, but that requires coordinating with my BIL to chop the cabinets so I don't need an in-wall unit. And, well, he's been kinda sick...
I borrowed a friends electric Toro tiller and was surprised how well it worked and how much easier it was to operate than gas model.

My next purchase will probably be a flat screen TV to replace my older conventional model. Although I would prefer to replace my PC first I would bet the TV will be first. It is starting to do some weird things and we currently have free HD so I would like to take advantage.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

coopasonic wrote:Nothing ever if I can help it...

Oh wait, next month there is eye surgery for Z(6) if you want to call that a purchase.

Our water heater is 7 years old so I assume that goes in the next year or two.

Our fence needs new stain. That will get done if the rain ever stops.

Will the excitement ever stop?
My water heater is over 20 years old. You should be good there.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote:Our fence needs new stain.

I really have to pee. Too bad you're in Texas.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Funny time to ask. In the next month were getting a new car, fridge and standalone water/ice machine, laptop/ultrabook/whatever, furniture, and garage remodel

:shock:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Major purchases...$100 and up...having problems processing.

I was at PetSmart last week and spent over a $100 on food. What's in the hopper? Driveway repair+sealing and deck power wash+sealing or painting. Need a new front door and two new sliders. I'll likely pick two, pay for them and then the AC will explode. I'd like to add heat to the basement, put up some framing and sheet rock but that's in the "like" and not "need" bucket. Speaking of buckets, I should also finally get around to purchasing a Luggable Loo for LG when he visits my basement.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Trip to New Orleans in 2 weeks
New laptop for my daughter
New monitor
Riding Mower

those are the ones I know off the top of my head
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote:Major purchases...$100 and up...having problems processing.
Some us are poor. :P
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:Funny time to ask. In the next month were getting a new car, fridge and standalone water/ice machine, laptop/ultrabook/whatever, furniture, and garage remodel

The rifle of course is for playing the popular LARP called "Chicago 'Hood."
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote:
LordMortis wrote:

I've read his post three times and my heart starts pounding with financial anxiety and stress every time I read it. Kinda like how you feel a sharp pain when you see some one else get kicked in the nads.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I have no idea what my next $100+ purchase will be (new tires? a drone?), but my next major major purchase will probably be a new car. My car is currently rusting through (I blame Florida) and I'm not sure how much longer it will last. Hopefully at least a year or two more...
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There is nothing specific on the horizon. The last month, on the other hand, have seen me replace a failing TV stand, an air conditioner, and a microwave. That came to more than I typically spend on 'stuff' for a year.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Brian

Post by Brian »

I just dropped $14,000 on a new roof, gutters, siding, and paint.

My next major purchase is a long ways down the road and will likely involve flooring. Lots of flooring.

Also, windows and probably some interior doors.

After that... kitchen cabinets and countertops? Maybe a new deck or patio?
Last edited by Brian on Thu May 19, 2016 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote:
Jeff V wrote:
LordMortis wrote:

I've read his post three times and my heart starts pounding with financial anxiety and stress every time I read it. Kinda like how you feel a sharp pain when you see some one else get kicked in the nads.
I didn't even include the new roof since we only pay 1/4th. But...the new roof this summer. :cry:

And does summer camp and a new kid count? Camp is probably 500 a week and delivery should run a few grand if all goes well.
Oh yeah, and birthday party for 20 or so kids at the gym.

Thank goodness for beer.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Nope!

Nope! Nope! Nope! Nope! Nope!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75aGG27dGUA
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

New: kitchen, bathroom, garage, driveway. In no particular order. This will happen in the next few years once the mortgage is gone. Probably a roof too if I need one.

I'm not one of the 2/3 of people who can't handle a $1000 emergency.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not dumping on anyone but I would consider a major purchase to be over $500. When I had to buy a new fridge a few years ago I was agonizing over price vs cubic foot volume.
There is no hug button. Sad!
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

A new house. After I sell my current condo unit.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I don't keep $1k cash on hand, because I have such a deep debt hole, that it makes little sense to do so. I have available credit to handle said emergency, and then address it through later earning and windfall. I don't consider that a 'bad' thing, honestly.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

killbot737 wrote:New: kitchen, bathroom, garage, driveway. In no particular order. This will happen in the next few years once the mortgage is gone. Probably a roof too if I need one.

I'm not one of the 2/3 of people who can't handle a $1000 emergency.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not dumping on anyone but I would consider a major purchase to be over $500. When I had to buy a new fridge a few years ago I was agonizing over price vs cubic foot volume.
$200 is probably where I start. $100 is a big grocery shop or a bad utility bill. $200 is a planned purchase or paying for unplanned problem. By the time I get $400, I'm in the agonizing over paying for it moment.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

The wedding in July will cost a whole lot more than $100.

So will the two week honeymoon in Italy. :wub:

Every other purchase is being put off until next year.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Purchase: Computer upgrade (motherboard/cpu/ram/psu/gpu), but not until sometime after the GTX 1080 is in the retail pipeline.
Budget: Budgets? We ain't got no budgets. We don't need no budgets. I don't have to show you any stinking budgets!
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Next week I'm out to Palm Springs for a week. The place is a timeshare gift from a client, so my expenses will be booze, food and numerous greens fees.
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

Hookers and Blow! Typical weekend.....

For reals:

Moving to new house in June but we are renting for a year or two and have to sell our townhouse (will spend 2.5-3k on fixing, painting, new carpet, etc.) though so i'll be double dipping on rent and mortgage for a few months at least. Then with a new, bigger place we just bought china cabinet and we are getting a full new living room suite of furniture. I have been promised an office/game room by the wife so I'll need a new desk, two recliners, end tables and maybe the new PS4.5 or PC and TV. Last two will be early fall though. Then a couple more random new pieces of furniture. Summer camp starts soon for the little one as well. Rough estimate is about 13k in next few months. Good news is we should make about 25k on selling townhouse to pay back all this and a little other debt and add to down payment on the next house purchase in a couple years. Being a grown up sucks sometimes.
Last edited by morlac on Thu May 19, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

morlac wrote: Being a grown up sucks sometimes.
Preach on, brother.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Exodor wrote: So will the two week honeymoon in Italy. :wub:
A FB friend is honeymooning there now.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wait, so both LawBeef and JeffV are expecting currently, or did I misread something? If so, congrats to you both!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I just bought new spectacles. They haven't arrived yet, but that's $340 before insurance reimbursement. Will probably end up costing me $200.

Wife just had two root canals and is getting two crowns next week. Insurance should cover most of that, but she has four more to go and those will be mostly out-of-pocket. There is currently $2,800 in the medical account.

We're going to the Berkshires for a long weekend in August. Three nights in a motel, tickets to two plays, plus gas and meals puts that in the $800-900 range.

Wife is threatening to drag me to her family reunion in October. Tentatively we'll take the Acela to DC; we have free Amtrak tickets, so can probably keep that under $1,000.

I'm going to get bids for rewiring our house if Wife ever clears a path through her crap so that one can reach the fuse box. I'm ballparking $4,000 for that but I really have no idea yet. Besides upgrading from fuses to circuit breakers, a bunch of switches and outlets and light fixtures need replacing.

I would like to get a new gaming PC soon-ish but it's a wishlist item, not scheduled or budgeted. We'll see if Civ 6 forces my hand. I would like to spend $1,200 to $1,500 on that since it will have to last me another 6-7 years.

And the real biggie: I'm probably going to replace the Miata within the next year...most likely with another Miata, although that's not set in stone.
Holman

Post by Holman »

We have just spoken to a realtor too.

Some of the many, many factors:

We live in a tiny house. Our boys share a room. We have nowhere to park. My wife's parents are getting elderly and would like to move to be closer to us; this means they'll be selling two houses (one in NYC, one on Long Island), and we'll be in charge of the clean up and preparation-to-move of those as well as our own. It's possible that we'll all share one large house. It's possible that we'll have new house near a place where they'll have an elder apartment. Meanwhile, our house will never sell without major renovations to the kitchen, porch, and outside walls as well as replacement or maintenance of the roof, heater, indoor paint in nearly every room.

All of this probably needs to go down within the next 12 months. We are overwhelmed.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote:I would like to get a new gaming PC soon-ish but it's a wishlist item, not scheduled or budgeted. We'll see if Civ 6 forces my hand. I would like to spend $1,200 to $1,500 on that since it will have to last me another 6-7 years.
I am hopeful that $900 will last me that long but then OO told me I will need a new video card in a few weeks, and I haven't gotten my machine home.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote:Meanwhile, our house will never sell without major renovations to the kitchen, porch, and outside walls as well as replacement or maintenance of the roof, heater, indoor paint in nearly every room.
We've been putting some money into our house after a decade of neglect because we envision moving in the next 7-8 years. Roof and paint job (with repair carpentry) are done, electrical system is next. After that repairs/upgrades start getting economically questionable. At a minimum we need to have the floors refinished and interior painted. Kitchen and bathroom makeovers would be ideal, but I don't want to spend big bucks if we're only going to be here a few more years and won't recoup the expense. Most likely we'll just save our money and expect to sell somewhat below market. Unless the market collapses again it should still fetch a decent price due to its desirable location.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Probably a new PC die around $1000 or less. Maybe way less a my wife doesn't see any need for a new computer and I might start up another project this summer that would cost at least a couple of hundred when all is done.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Exodor wrote:The wedding in July will cost a whole lot more than $100.

So will the two week honeymoon in Italy. :wub:

Every other purchase is being put off until next year.
Congratulations! That's awesome!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Wait, so both LawBeef and JeffV are expecting currently, or did I misread something? If so, congrats to you both!
I'm in month or so. Jeff is a bit further out I think.

But yeah , thanks! Been too busy for it to sink in and it's suddenly real. Also on the exact same day as the due date: a huge go-live at work and kiddo #1's birthday. Wtf? Guess it's a good thing that due dates are not exact.

MYT