The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

Post by El Guapo »

Daehawk wrote:Nah it told me I was too far from her and was going to fail. Came back and it was ok again but she was still stuck. After 5 reloads she finally used the door correctly.
Black Lives Matter.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I hadn't realized that we had a release date for the Blood and Wine expansion: 31 May 2016.
Teaser trailer
Dev diary
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think I get all DLC free...not sure.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote:I think I get all DLC free...not sure.
The game itself included 16 free DLC. If you have the expansion pass, it covers both Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still loving the game. For some reason Geralt seems weaker each game. In the first I kicked all ass. In pt 2 I had a bit more trouble because of crowds. And in pt 3 I can only take on 2 or 3 bigger things...or one if its a fiend or something. 10 wolves can be iffy but doable.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

After reading and reading online Im still confused with what I can get away with with Yen and Triss.

I want the game to end with Triss. Ive done her quest line and did the lighthouse scene of love with her. Now Im in Skellige and with Yen. I have a chance with her but I dont want to ruin the Triss stuff and ending. Is one time with Yen ok now that ive finished the Triss line already or does it boff it all up?

From what I understand I told Triss I love her and as long as I dont tell Yen then its all ok.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Too late.We christened the unicorn. But I didn't tell her I love her.

Kinda sad. Geralt and Yen were meant to be. They still seem to be. Her looks are my dream. but i also love redheads and Triss has been my love interest in both of the other games. Im going Triss...but its hurting me to do so...except for Yen's annoying attitude towards me.

Maybe another play through one day will go another way. this is such a HUGE game though and so well detailed Im not sure when Ill ever replay it. Maybe Ill watch a ending video...after Im well done fo course lol.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Daehawk wrote:After reading and reading online Im still confused with what I can get away with with Yen and Triss.

I want the game to end with Triss. Ive done her quest line and did the lighthouse scene of love with her. Now Im in Skellige and with Yen. I have a chance with her but I dont want to ruin the Triss stuff and ending. Is one time with Yen ok now that ive finished the Triss line already or does it boff it all up?

From what I understand I told Triss I love her and as long as I dont tell Yen then its all ok.
This is correct. The only no-no (that causes you to wind up with no one) is to tell both Triss and Yen that you love them. You can bone Triss in the lighthouse and still wind up with Yen if you don't tell Triss that you love her (you say "let's try again" or something instead). If you tell Triss that you love her and bone Yen on the unicorn you are still fine (wind up with Triss) as long as you don't do Yen's side quest and tell her at the end that you love her.

If you tell Triss that you love her, bone Yen on the unicorn, and ignore Yen's side quest I *think* you wind up with Triss, though I'm not 100% sure on that.

And yeah, I went with Triss as well. I know the lore is that Geralt and Yen are meant to be together, but Triss is just a much more likeable character. This is going from just Witcher 3, since I didn't play either of the first two games or read the books or anything.
Black Lives Matter.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:wub: ... Image ... GOG is featuring a sale of 33% off the Game AND the Expansion-Pass (together) = $49.99

that's, like, the expansion pass FREE ... iddn't it?

as well as 10% off the DLCs individually
Ain't nobody got time for that
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Can I still do Yen's side quest and just not say I love you? I hate missing quests :)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Daehawk wrote:Can I still do Yen's side quest and just not say I love you? I hate missing quests :)
Yes - that's what I did. At the end of the quest (after the 'boss fight' for the quest) you and Yen sits down and she asks you how you feel about her now. At that point you either say (essentially) "I love you", or "I don't want to be with you." Obviously it's a little awkward saying the latter (but then I just skipped the resulting dialogue).
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As someone that just purchased the game, I guess it would be foolish to not also get the DLC season pass at this point, right? Go big or go home as the kids say these days?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Smoove_B wrote:As someone that just purchased the game, I guess it would be foolish to not also get the DLC season pass at this point, right? Go big or go home as the kids say these days?
Absolutely.

Disclosure: Abetting other people's hobby expenditures is one of my hobbies.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive found this game huge and highly detailed. Everyone is voiced, the quests are detailed, the world is amazing. Its so great. Lot of work into it. I still hope they revisit the world and Geralt one day.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So yeah, two hours of game time today...and it's like I never stopped playing the second game a month ago -- totally and absolutely engrossed. I feel like I'll be playing this for months. :D
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:As someone that just purchased the game, I guess it would be foolish to not also get the DLC season pass at this point, right? Go big or go home as the kids say these days?
Absolutely.

Disclosure: Abetting other people's hobby expenditures is one of my hobbies.
It's almost as satisfying as buying stuff yourself.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Aren't there some new board games you need? I heard there was going to be a Gwent Kickstarter.... :wink:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote:Aren't there some new board games you need? I heard there was going to be a Gwent Kickstarter.... :wink:
Yes, I'm waiting for July to buy my fifth iteration of Legendary, why do you ask?

Gwent is a good game for a mini-game within a game, but I'm not sure it would make a particularly interesting physical game. I would buy it if there was a "Geralt's Conquests" faction, however. :twisted:

Also:
https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/commen ... 00_ppi_40/
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The short answer is yes. I would add that, a few hours into the first expansion pack, it's another who storyline and quests similar to the first game, but it's not connected to the main storyline (at least not yet). So it's not like it resolves outstanding issues or ties things up or the like (unlike Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age expansion that resolved main plot related questions and character developments). I guess unless you're a big Shani from Witcher 1 fan.

Have they announced who Geralt is going to bone in the second expansion?
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, once I read up on everything and realized both expansions (from the season pass) were likely 40+ hours of additional content, it was a done deal.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Almost enough to make me go back to it...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I know I'm totally nerd-fanboying right now, but I honestly can't remember enjoying playing a video game character as much as I enjoy being Geralt.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Amen.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Played for 2 hours without a problem, then out of no where, random black screen crashes. I was an ATI man for over a decade without a problem. My recent foray into NVidia has been nothing but trouble. I either need to get a new computer or call in a favor for a power supply swap out, but this is absurd.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Playing Skyrim, and even with mods, the console-ness of it is driving me nuts. Even using the popular UI mod, the controls, horrible journal, etc are frustrating me (and still finding bugs with the unofficial patch). Is the Witcher 3 better in this department? Does it feel like a PC game? I have been reading reviews and can't really tell. The combat sounds incredibly frustrating reading the reviews. I tried the first Witcher and really did not like the combat, but I hear its better in the last 2 games, not that I can tell from watching YouTube videos of it.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As a person playing with an Xbox360 controller on casual difficulty, I might not be the best person to answer the question but it doesn't feel as console-y to me as Skyrim did (does?). It doesn't feel as console-y to me as Fallout 4 did (the UI in particular). However, it also feels 100% awesome to play with a console controller, so take that for whatever it's worth. I also know people have a love/hate relationship with the combat. I like it, but old-man brain just can't grok it all the time - particularly early on when Geralt doesn't have all the skills unlocked. But mid to late game? I enjoy it tremendously (on easy mode) because he's awesome to watch. But in terms of playing the game? I'm playing it for the story and the characters, not the combat so switching out to training-wheels mode doesn't bother me at all. YMMV.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Went back to playing it on the PS4. I play in spurts, unfortunately. Metal Gear Solid: Phantom Pain came out of the blue for me and stole me away for almost a solid six or seven months though.

It only took me about a half before I remembered that as far as narratives go in RPGs, very few games beat the Witcher series. :wub:
He won. Period.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Thanks Smoove_B, that's what I wanted to know. I don't mind a controller, I just don't want an interface which seems like it was designed with little thought and screams that it was made to be seen on a TV. I really want a well designed interface with a world similar to Skyrim (not sure that's the Witcher either though). Still at 50% off, it's tempting.
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've spent almost 8 hours in White Orchard, just wandering around talking to people and visiting various points of interest. This game is ridiculous.
BooTx

Post by BooTx »

I played the original with a mouse and keyboard but the combat is nothing like 3. It's all about rhythm and knowing which style to enable for each opponent. I personally felt that the combat was the weakest link in that game.

The combat in Witcher 2 I actually disliked even more, to the point where I was never able to really get into it. I tried with both the keyboard and mouse and the 360 controller, but neither one really felt right. I'll give it another go some day I'm sure. I'd hate to miss out on the rest of the game.

I went with the 360 controller for Witcher 3 and I thought the controls were fantastic. The combat system may not be as smooth as Batman: Arkham, but I feel it's easily the best in the series.

Everything about the third one really feels like CD Projekt RED hit their stride. When people ask me if they should play the first two before getting the third, I actually advise against it. Play the masterpiece, and if the world really intrigues you then play the others. You're more apt to forgive the wrinkles of its predecessors if you know about the goodness hiding underneath.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Ok, bought it. I don't know why, I am enjoying Skyrim and keep telling myself I am going to learn EUIV or CKII this week...

Thanks...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think the worst controls I ever encountered in an RPG was the first Gothic. It killed my tries the firs t2 times. Somehow on my third go at the game it clicked after 10 or 15 minutes. I then loved the controls.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blood and Wine - "New Region" trailer. I could totally be ready for this when it releases next week...if I don't sleep. :D
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Coming up on 14 hours and this game has its claws in me. The game world - the landscapes, towns, villages, wilderness set pieces are just fantastic. It just feels so right and as a gamer that likes to explore more than anything else, it's delivering in spades. I also finally think I understand why I like the Witcher games so much - it has to do with the story and how it is framed. Geralt always has his own thing going on but the game world is doing its own thing. For example, right now the after effects of war can be felt throughout the country side and for the most part, no one really cares about Geralt and what he's up to. Unlike so many other RPGs where you become the reason for the story, Geralt feels like he's moving around in a world that exists completely without him. Sometimes stories overlap and there are common interests, but Geralt isn't out to "save the world" or "fix some giant problem" that threatens the world. He's doing his own thing and just happens to interact with a world that has its own story as well. I'm not sure if I'm explaining that correctly, but I think it has a huge impact on the tone of the game and how I feel about visiting the world.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Finished a part of the main story with Keira and the Bloody Baron last night and I'm just absolutely astounded with this game. I don't remember the last time I was this completely enthralled with an RPG, but with 24 hours in I feel like I've barely scratched the content that keeps popping up in my quest log. I said it earlier, but this game is ridiculous.

A launch trailer for Blood and Wine was released a few days ago. I am not kidding when I say it feels like I'll be playing this all summer.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was about 80 hours into the game when I took a break last winter to play some other stuff I was looking forward to. I'm just now starting it back up and I don't believe I'm even halfway through the game yet. I can see myself easily sinking 200 hours into this game with all the expansions.

One thing I always recommend is turning off the feature on the map that shows you points of interest with a giant question mark. I much prefer discovering those things on my own.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote:I was about 80 hours into the game when I took a break last winter to play some other stuff I was looking forward to. I'm just now starting it back up and I don't believe I'm even halfway through the game yet. I can see myself easily sinking 200 hours into this game with all the expansions.
I finished in 76 hours back before there were expansions/DLC. You can only dilly dally for so long,, unless you are DA Lewis.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I should check the game log, but I'm pretty sure I completed the whole thing in fewer than 80 hours. But then, while the Witcher side quests are especially good for RPGs, I'm just not a fan of side quests in general, as I'm perpetually impatient to get on with the main story. I think outside of the main quests I just did the character side quests and the side quests that impact the fate of the northern realms (and probably one or two random other side quests).
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The side quests are so good though. Weird curses or stories that end up going completely sideways after you start investigating things. I just had one where my gut was telling me something bad was going to happen if I moved a pile of bones, and sure enough, it ended poorly for someone else because I did. But it seemed like such a good idea at the time. Regardless, if you're the kind of person that is overwhelmed with choices, I can see this game being paralyzing because there is always something to do over the next hill.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Apparently this game is 3.5 times the size of Skyrim. I didn't believe it but after 30+ hours of roaming around Velen, I took a trip through what was a giant blank NE corner of the map and discovered it was just unexplored, not empty by any means. There is literally adventure around every corner. I finally decided to detour into Novigrad to find Triss and was astounded at the city. This game is ridiculous!