Crusader Kings II

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Crusader Kings II

Post by jztemple2 »

Oh my, they want more of my money! New expansion Conclave:
Conclave , the latest major expansion for Crusader Kings II, will give your vassals some bite to go along with your bark, as the council that governs your realm will now demand some say in how you rule. Powerful dukes, regardless of competence, will require a seat at the table, and those left on the outside will be more likely to plot against you.

Keep your council happy, and the mighty vassals will resist the pull of faction and civil war. Dismiss their interests, though, and you may find yourself trying to hold together a council at war with itself.

Balance councilor skill and power to keep your dynasty safe and strong. Ignore powerful underlings at your peril, or simply buy their loyalty with favors. Conclave makes the royal council a force unto itself.

Main features:
  • Councils can now vote on changes to realm laws – or you can try to limit their power and influence
  • Revised education system for royal children, with new traits and events designed for childhood
  • New diplomatic system that prioritizes marital alliances and non-aggression pacts, as well as the possibility of coalitions
  • Improved military combat model with a greater emphasis on morale, as well as new rules for mercenary companies
Crusader Kings II appreciates the subtlety of court intrigue. Conclave will give you new avenues to test that skill.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

This one looks really interesting. I have been a huge fan of the expansion that update mechanics, less of a fan of the map expansion or time expansions (e.g. adding India or going back to the Viking time period).
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Hmm,

I wonder if you are a duke/major landholder if you can play as a participant in the council with the AI as king/emperor etc.

Also if you multiple titles like King of England and Wales for instance, does that mean there are two different councils you have to work with?

Edit: Link to trailer
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

More information on the Conclave update: Conclave Dev Diary #2 Power to the Council

In part:
Greetings!

I know last year featured a lot of dev diaries with very little information about new features of the game. The reason for this was the lack of an announcement of the expansion and we had decided not to talk about the expansion before the announcement. All that has changed now and last week @Doomdark gave you an overview of the features we’ve added and the aim of the expansion.

This week we’re going to go a bit deeper into the new council mechanics.
The article is quite interesting, I'm definitely excited about the changes.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Crusader Kings II: Free content patch 2.5 preview!

There's no text to quote, all the info is in a big image file. It's some interesting stuff though...
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Maybe I should use my Steam giftcard and get myself all the other half of the expansions I don't know. This game is a massive, massive, timesink.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Sad to say that even after collecting all the expansions (except the most recent) and all the little DLC when they are on massive sale I have only ever watched a couple of Let's play tutorial YouTube videos and played the first in game tutorial. This is has to be the most money I've spent on a game that is essentially un-played. It sure looks fun though...
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

The marriage, blood line, claim to a title thing always eluded me. I tried and tried and watched a couple of videos but every arranged marriage I set up didn't work as intended.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

jztemple2 wrote:Crusader Kings II: Free content patch 2.5 preview!

There's no text to quote, all the info is in a big image file. It's some interesting stuff though...
I appreciate:

"Death sounds differ depending on age, gender and violency of reason of death." , cause yeah - that was always a little startling.
"Continue Button"

Intrigued by:
New marriage -> non aggression pact mechanic
Infamy system

I don't need more trouble with Vassals, but that's probably because I'm not entirely great with Vassals.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

More info on the upcoming DLC: Conclave Dev Diary #3 Homeschooling
Greetings!

Today we’re going into the details of some features from the expansion. Just like last week the team has cooperated in writing this diary. First out @WitchKing and @markuso will give you the details on how we changed the life of children.

In Conclave, we have made a major rework in how young characters develop in terms of upbringing and education. Basically, non-adult characters now go through two phases, younger childhood (0-11) and adolescence (12-15), and for players who own Conclave, new childhood and adolescence events have replaced the old trait related events. Although these effects will primarily be felt when playing as a young ruler, other characters near children and adolescents will also occasionally be presented with various events affecting trait outcomes for the young ones, taking a part in their story and affecting how they develop.

From the age of six, all children will have an Educator. Just as before, you have the option of appointing a guardian to act as Educator for your child, but otherwise the Educator may be a parent, liege or regent. You can also choose a Childhood Focus to guide the direction of the child’s development (see below). Note that the Educator’s traits will now very rarely affect the child’s development - this is a major change to how it worked before. Also, a young character’s attributes now grow randomly with some genetic influence from the parents - but is no longer affected by the Guardian’s or Educator’s stats. The reasoning behind these changes is that a child’s everyday interactions are primarily with nannies and tutors, while the guardianship is more of an honorary function used for diplomacy...
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

In honor of the latest DLC release, the base game is on sale for 75% off, and most of the DLC is discounted, except of course for the newest one which is the one you probably want anyway :D
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

jztemple2 wrote:In honor of the latest DLC release, the base game is on sale for 75% off, and most of the DLC is discounted, except of course for the newest one which is the one you probably want anyway :D
The sale let me catch up on the last 3 expansions that I hadn't purchased yet.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Kelric wrote:
jztemple2 wrote:In honor of the latest DLC release, the base game is on sale for 75% off, and most of the DLC is discounted, except of course for the newest one which is the one you probably want anyway :D
The sale let me catch up on the last 3 expansions that I hadn't purchased yet.
This is the way I do it. Whenever there's a major Steam sale, I check Crusader Kings 2 and buy the old DLC that is now heavily discounted. I only buy the newest DLC if it's really, really good, and this time it looks like it might be. Luckily I'm busy with other games for the time being.
Insert witty comment here.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

The newest DLC upped the ante a bit. The conclave mechanics now make it impossible to just constantly select the best men for the council seats - instead you need to offer council seats to all of your highest ranking vassals (such as Dukes, if you are playing a king) to avoid them getting angry for not having a seat at the table. It really stings to get that lvl 9 Stewardship major duke sitting at the council when you have an unlanded and unimportant guy just chilling with lvl 15 stewardship. The council can also make life a bit difficult for you, given that they get a vote on any major changes you make to realm policy.

That being said, the DLC removed one of the most annoying parts of the game IMHO - the "Crown Authority" tabs. I hated these - you always wanted to increase Crown authority but when you did you pissed off all your vassals and ended up with "Lower Crown Authority" factions popping up. The real draw to the council is that - while the council is content - council members are unable to join factions. That means tossing a high-level troublemaker onto the council removes them from annoying faction politics, but allows him a vote on major issues (in some cases the council decides who can be imprisoned, banished, or executed, and often the council prohibits the crown from revoking titles). I have yet to see a council that vetoed my desire to go to war, but it looks like it can happen.

The new childhood stuff is pretty nice, they incorporated the Way of Life focus mechanic into raising children. That being said, you tend to get a lot of pop ups for "choose a focus for the child." I do not know if you have to re-choose yearly, or if this is a bug. I would like it if they basically asked you once and then allowed you to change the decision once a year, perhaps (but keep the old choice without needing a new pop-up). I have a feeling this is going to get tweaked in a patch, as it is barely balanced on the edge of being useful and annoying.

The game seems a bit harder, although it could be that I was trying to play kingdoms that are a bit challenging (I like to try and survive as the Kingdom of Jerusalem). I need some more play time, but so far the changes seem welcome.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks for posting! That DLC really sounds like it's something I might get before it goes on sale :D
tgb

Post by tgb »

I keep thinking about getting a couple of the latest expansions and re-installing, but it's been so long since I last played it would mean re-learning it from scratch and I'm not sure I want to devote the time to that, given all the newer, shinier stuff coming out.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

baelthazar wrote:That being said, the DLC removed one of the most annoying parts of the game IMHO - the "Crown Authority" tabs. I hated these - you always wanted to increase Crown authority but when you did you pissed off all your vassals and ended up with "Lower Crown Authority" factions popping up. The real draw to the council is that - while the council is content - council members are unable to join factions. That means tossing a high-level troublemaker onto the council removes them from annoying faction politics........
I might buy it today just for that. The I always hated the Lower Crown Authority factions. While somewhat accurate (The king is a tyrant! Down with the king!) I felt like they were continuously overpowered and too numerous (The king forgot my birthday again this year! Down with the king!).
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Do be wary - some people are complaining about the new coalition mechanics. I have not experienced it yet, but I imagine it will be patched up (or out).

I did completely misunderstand the favor mechanic. I asked for support from members of my council on allowing the crown to revoke titles. This ended up giving three council members favors which they used to bring up votes forcing me to get council approval to award titles (not a good thing) and to banish people (not a problem).
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

baelthazar wrote:Do be wary - some people are complaining about the new coalition mechanics. I have not experienced it yet, but I imagine it will be patched up (or out).
What exactly are they complaining about?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kelric wrote:
baelthazar wrote:That being said, the DLC removed one of the most annoying parts of the game IMHO - the "Crown Authority" tabs. I hated these - you always wanted to increase Crown authority but when you did you pissed off all your vassals and ended up with "Lower Crown Authority" factions popping up. The real draw to the council is that - while the council is content - council members are unable to join factions. That means tossing a high-level troublemaker onto the council removes them from annoying faction politics........
I might buy it today just for that. The I always hated the Lower Crown Authority factions. While somewhat accurate (The king is a tyrant! Down with the king!) I felt like they were continuously overpowered and too numerous (The king forgot my birthday again this year! Down with the king!).
I'm pretty sure most actual kings thought so too.
Black Lives Matter.
baelthazar

Crusader Kings II

Post by baelthazar »

TiLT wrote:
baelthazar wrote:Do be wary - some people are complaining about the new coalition mechanics. I have not experienced it yet, but I imagine it will be patched up (or out).
What exactly are they complaining about?
Something about coalitions forming between completed ahistorical allies - so you get things like the Fatimid Caliph in a coalition with the King of England over the player seizing a county in Ireland. They have added a gauge for infamy, so the coalition mechanic seems to be related to that. They used to call it Bad Boy rating, at it was largely hidden. If you play EUIV, the coalition thing sounds the same as that.

All that being said, I haven't seen a blip on my infamy rating. The people complaining must be constantly pressing weak claims and fabricating claims.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

baelthazar wrote:The people complaining must be constantly pressing weak claims and fabricating claims.
Are you saying you aren't? What kind of king are you anyway? :P
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

TiLT wrote:
baelthazar wrote:The people complaining must be constantly pressing weak claims and fabricating claims.
Are you saying you aren't? What kind of king are you anyway? :P
The new DLC does curtail claim fabrication, at least in my experience. Since you can't just stick a level 17 guy into the council spot for chancellor, you often get stuck with a lvl 10 or 11 guy - who only has a 4% chance per tick (is it a year or a month, I don't remember) to make a claim. I've had a guy sitting in Ancona for several years with no result. I think this is more realistic.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I have not yet purchased the Conclave DLC, but I do have most of the rest. I even accidentally discovered a new drinking game last night.
  • 1) Start a game as Mercia or one of the other large factions on the British Isles in 769 AD.
    2) Have the Viking Age DLC
    3) Play on the fastest speed setting
    4) Have a sip of your beverage of choice every time a Viking raid occurs
    5) Wind up with four beers down in less than an hour
    6) ????
    7) The Muslims control Spain and France, the pagans control most of central Europe, and eastern Europe is divided up amongst a bunch of Khans.
Lee

Post by Lee »

I am trying to learn the game so I am playing an Earl in Ireland (Desmond in the SW corner, but it's not called that in my game for some reason). I think he's probably a horrible choice because the character sucks, and can't really do anything. Anyway, is this a bug: I betrothed my son and heir to a girl who then came of age. I got message that it was time for them to marry, I said yes, marry, and then a couple of days later the father of the bride said he no longer wanted the marriage to happen. Except she's already in my court and married. Am I not understanding something, or is this a bug?
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Lee wrote:I am trying to learn the game so I am playing an Earl in Ireland (Desmond in the SW corner, but it's not called that in my game for some reason). I think he's probably a horrible choice because the character sucks, and can't really do anything. Anyway, is this a bug: I betrothed my son and heir to a girl who then came of age. I got message that it was time for them to marry, I said yes, marry, and then a couple of days later the father of the bride said he no longer wanted the marriage to happen. Except she's already in my court and married. Am I not understanding something, or is this a bug?
It's CK2. Someone needs to get murdered.

(Seriously, I don't know whether that's a bug or what.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Holman wrote:
Lee wrote:I am trying to learn the game so I am playing an Earl in Ireland (Desmond in the SW corner, but it's not called that in my game for some reason). I think he's probably a horrible choice because the character sucks, and can't really do anything. Anyway, is this a bug: I betrothed my son and heir to a girl who then came of age. I got message that it was time for them to marry, I said yes, marry, and then a couple of days later the father of the bride said he no longer wanted the marriage to happen. Except she's already in my court and married. Am I not understanding something, or is this a bug?

Thanks, I figure it is a bug, but it really doesn't matter anyway. Just want to make sure I am not misunderstanding something.

I can't kill anyone! I am trying to fabricate claims to one of the Duke of Muni's counties, unsuccessfully so far, so I wanted to kill him instead since his heir is weaker, but no one will join me. I can press a claim in Italy since the father of my son's wife died, but they are much bigger than I am. I think this character/county is just too weak and in a bad spot, but I am learning as I go.
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I've played a full game of Ireland, and it's tough going at first since, as you point out, your leader sucks. This is normal though, and the idea is to start thinking about your heirs and what they will be like. Just getting the first few provinces outside of your own might take you several generations, so don't get too impatient. You haven't got many tools to work with yet, so do whatever you can to get ahead (though maybe stay away from the murdering business at this point. You're not likely to get many allies for a while). Try to marry politically if you can, obtaining claims to other areas of Ireland that you can reasonably expect to take.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Ahh ok, thanks TiLT. I wasn't thinking long term enough it appears. I probably shouldn't be wasting time trying to fabricate claims then either, since these are wars I could never win. Is there something I should be doing to get the rest of Ireland to to like my character in order to increase the chances of a wedding down the line?
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

It's been a while since I played, but fabricating claims is actually a pretty viable tactic at your stage. Do it against someone with only one province, someone who is at least as weak as you. It's even better if they've just been at war (or even better than that: they are at war right now). It can pay off to be aggressive at this early stage, but don't overreach.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

To add to Tilt's comment above, be careful when declaring war on someone who is already at war. If they lose their war and you and the other aggressor happen to be attacking them over the same thing, then your war is cancelled and all the effort and gold spent was for naught. However, if THEY are the aggressor then it is an excellent time to attack.... :horse:
Lee wrote:
Holman wrote:

Thanks, I figure it is a bug, but it really doesn't matter anyway. Just want to make sure I am not misunderstanding something.
Definitely a bug. Happens all the time. I've never seen the new bride/groom actually leave, so I think their parent is just reacting to them no longer being listed as single and sending a default message out, even though they married the person they were supposed to.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

FWIW when I did a game starting at the county level (in Norway) I found mercenaries to be pretty critical. I could never raise enough of an army to conquer anyone just from my one piddly province, but mercenaries made it viable. Though I started against the scandinavian pagans rather than christian counties.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The Stellaris release got me back into EU IV, and now this thread is making me want to play CK2.

With EU IV I'm up to date on major DLC, but for CK2 I'm way behind. I hope June's Steam Sale gives me some love.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Holman wrote:The Stellaris release got me back into EU IV, and now this thread is making me want to play CK2.

With EU IV I'm up to date on major DLC, but for CK2 I'm way behind. I hope June's Steam Sale gives me some love.
I'm going to be looking for the EUIV DLC myself. I really need to be able to give naval units missions and to assign provinces over to allies in peace deals. I'm sure there are a few other thing I don't even know I need yet.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Rip wrote:
Holman wrote:The Stellaris release got me back into EU IV, and now this thread is making me want to play CK2.

I'm going to be looking for the EUIV DLC myself. I really need to be able to give naval units missions and to assign provinces over to allies in peace deals. I'm sure there are a few other thing I don't even know I need yet.
If you want to go really hard-core, look into the MEIOU&T mod. (It has a forum of its own at Paradox.)

Set-up is non-trivial, but the pay-off is way more events, more choices, and tweaks to systems that make the world seem more plausibly historical even after a couple of centuries of play.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Those usurpers always be usurpin'...
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Holman

Post by Holman »

Usurpers gonna 'surp.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

The Emperor in those screenshots (top left portrait) later went mad. He passed the Pants Act and appointed his favorite horse Glitterhoof as Chancellor. It's been a weird game.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Somehow I have seen Glitterhoof become emperor in screenshots. I can't remember how and I think it is an exploit or Easter egg "bug."