Go Bernie!

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Defiant

Re: Go Bernie!

Post by Defiant »

Holman wrote: Clinton can't ignore that so many Democrats want aggressive policies around income inequality and etc, and she would be a fool to ignore that.
Some things to keep in mind
1. Among *Democrats*, it's even less close - she's winning 2-1.

2. It's not clear his support is based on his policy stances or that support of his stances will last.

3. Back in 2000, when Bradly was running against the Veep of a popular president, he managed to get 21% of the total vote for the primary despite dropping out halfway through. That suggests to me that there no matter who the frontrunner is, there are going to be those that will support someone else as an alternative.

To be sure, the Democratic party will likely raise the priority of addressing the issue of income inequality. But I'm much more skeptical than I was earlier in the primary season that Sanders was going to produce a long term "revolution".
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Defiant wrote: 3. Back in 2000, when Bradly was running against the Veep of a popular president, he managed to get 21% of the total vote for the primary despite dropping out halfway through. That suggests to me that there no matter who the frontrunner is, there are going to be those that will support someone else as an alternative.
Please don't remind me of 2000, the election we could have had Bradley v. McCain and got stuck with Gore v. Bush.

Worst. Primary. Ever.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Kurth wrote:
Please don't remind me of 2000, the election we could have had Bradley v. McCain and got stuck with Gore v. Bush.

Worst. Primary. Ever.
I'll remind you you said that when there's a worse primary.

Oh, would you look at the time. Hey, you remember that time you said that 2000 was the worst primary ever?
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Defiant wrote:
Kurth wrote:

Worst. Primary. Ever.
I'll remind you you said that when there's a worse primary.

Oh, would you look at the time. Hey, you remember that time you said that 2000 was the worst primary ever?
I hear you on that, but I still find the 2000 primary to be particular awful. The main difference in my mind is that 2000 was the last year, IMHO, that both major political parties had an opportunity to nominate solid candidates. This year is abyssmal, but it's not like any of the choices that were left behind were anything to write home about. It's been a lesser of two (or more) evils from the get go here. It's just that, with Trump, we're ending up with the worst of the lot (and that's saying something given that he won the nomination over Cruz and Santorum and Christy and Carson etc.).
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

FWIW Sanders and Obama (who has congratulated Clinton on "clinching" the nomination) are meeting on Thursday. Starting to sound like Sanders is getting ready to transition to issue advocacy. I'm cautiously optimistic that Sanders isn't going to set the democratic party on fire while tilting at superdelegate windmills, but we'll see.
Black Lives Matter.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Inside the bitter last days of Bernie's revolution
For better and for worse, Sanders made all the big decisions.

There’s no strategist pulling the strings, and no collection of burn-it-all-down aides egging him on. At the heart of the rage against Hillary Clinton and the Democratic Party, the campaign aides closest to him say, is Bernie Sanders.
Convinced as Sanders is that he’s realizing his lifelong dream of being the catalyst for remaking American politics—aides say he takes credit for a Harvard Kennedy School study in April showing young people getting more liberal, and he takes personal offense every time Clinton just dismisses the possibility of picking him as her running mate—his guiding principle under attack has basically boiled down to a feeling that multiple aides sum up as: “Screw me? No, screw you.”
Take the combative statement after the Nevada showdown.
“I don’t know who advised him that this was the right route to take, but we are now actively destroying what Bernie worked so hard to build over the last year just to pick up two fucking delegates in a state he lost,” rapid response director Mike Casca complained to Weaver in an internal campaign email obtained by POLITICO.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Bernie Sanders Says He's Staying in Presidential Race:
ABCNews.com wrote:Sen. Bernie Sanders is not dropping out of the presidential race, he told supporters at a rally Tuesday night, following Hillary Clinton's projected primary wins in New Jersey, New Mexico, and South Dakota.

He said of next week's primary in the District of Columbia, "Next week we continue the fight...We are going to fight hard to win the primary in Washington, D.C."

Sanders also said he is "taking the primary fight to...Philadelphia," a nod to the Democratic National Convention in July.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Here's the thing about Bernie...the longer he holds out in getting on board the Clinton train, the less he gets. Clinton doesn't need him as much he thinks they do. Yes, he has a passionate base, and yeah i heard the boos also during his speech...but give it time, let them hear her speak on those issues they care about. She can and will win them over. He's in a dicey position and really has to be careful to not overplay his hand, which honestly I think he's going to. I think he's going to go for the full monty and come away with 'everyone wins" medal they give to kids sports participants, and a thanks for playing scratch and sniff sticker. He just sounds bitter and angy...I dont see him being too conciliatory and that's gonna cost him.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Newcastle wrote: He just sounds bitter and angy...I dont see him being too conciliatory and that's gonna cost him.
Bernie would be so perfect as the VP for Trump. So many fat heads on both sides of the isle would spin we could film Exorcist III. :mrgreen: Image
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Looks like the Senator from La Mancha is carrying on.

Fun fact: guess who considered the democratic primary over in 2008 once the presumptive nominee hit the majority of combined pledged and superdelegates? Bernie Sanders:
Around the same time, the Sanders campaign issued a statement of its own, emphasizing the same point it’s been stressing for months: super-delegates “do not vote until July 25,” so they may yet decide to give Sanders the nomination, even if he finishes in second place. Therefore, it may look like Clinton has clinched the nomination, but as the senator claimed last night, this is merely “an illusion.”

Whether or not a person buys into Sanders’ pitch appears to depend largely on whether or not that person wants Sanders to prevail, but there’s an important flaw in the senator’s argument: he used to believe the exact opposite of what he’s saying now.

Eight years ago this week, Sanders endorsed then-Sen. Barack Obama’s candidacy after the Illinois Democrat clinched a majority thanks to a combination of pledged delegates and commitments from party super-delegates.

It didn’t matter, Sanders said at the time, that super-delegates wouldn’t literally vote until the convention – because the outcome was obvious and the results were clear. Obama, Sanders said eight years ago, had won fair and square.
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Can we change the thread title to "Go [away], Bernie!" now? :grund:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kurth wrote:Can we change the thread title to "Go [away], Bernie!" now? :grund:
You'd have to ask Kraken (without checking, I assume he started the thread). If he wants Bernie to continue I think you're out of luck unless you start your own thread. Not everyone necessarily shares your opinion on this. :D
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote:
Not everyone necessarily shares your opinion on this. :D
Trump, for one.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
Trump, for one.
Let me know when he swings by, I have a few choice words for him.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote:
Max Peck wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
Trump, for one.
That's what twitter is for; in these parts, you'll have to settle for his local surrogates (you know who they are).

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

GreenGoo wrote:
Max Peck wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
Trump, for one.
You could post on Trump's Facebook page right now!

Heck, spend some time there like I did, reading the thousands of comments by his fans. Then feel like scrubbing your eyes with bleach and wish you had never been born.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Sigh. If he wants to have an opinion on this thread and it's title as Max originally suggested, he can damn well stop by and say so himself. And if he does, stepping into a place I call home, I'll speak to him then.

I'm not seeking him out.

:tjg:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

GreenGoo wrote:Sigh. If he wants to have an opinion on this thread and it's title as Max originally suggested, he can damn well stop by and say so himself. And if he does, stepping into a place I call home, I'll speak to him then.

I'm not seeking him out.

[Trump]GreenGoo is such a loser that he won't even come out of the Bernie thread to attack me. Sad![/Trump]
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It's true!

Also, I secretly don't want America to be great again.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Maybe he stays in case she goes to prison or something which will then have the nomination default to him, I think? (Not sure)
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm trying to wrap my head around what Bernie's plan is leading up to the convention. The DC primary (the final primary) is next Tuesday - I guess he could campaign there, maybe try to pack a stadium for a speech, which might get media attention. Then...what? Door to door housecalls with superdelegates? Putting together superdelegate gift baskets?

Then what happens if (when) zero or close to zero superdelegates flip? Zero superdelegates have flipped to Sanders so far this primary, and there is essentially no reason for them to do so now. He just keeps trying to pitch them for five weeks? Then what - flip some tables at the convention?

What's the end game, beyond fighting words?
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Vorret wrote:Maybe he stays in case she goes to prison or something which will then have the nomination default to him, I think? (Not sure)
He could endorse Clinton and suspend his campaign, and then un-suspend it in the event that she gets indicted or some other black swan event happens (heart attack, etc.).
Black Lives Matter.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

El Guapo wrote:I'm trying to wrap my head around what Bernie's plan is leading up to the convention. The DC primary (the final primary) is next Tuesday - I guess he could campaign there, maybe try to pack a stadium for a speech, which might get media attention. Then...what? Door to door housecalls with superdelegates? Putting together superdelegate gift baskets?

Then what happens if (when) zero or close to zero superdelegates flip? Zero superdelegates have flipped to Sanders so far this primary, and there is essentially no reason for them to do so now. He just keeps trying to pitch them for five weeks? Then what - flip some tables at the convention?

Bernie only has one chance at this and he has a HUGE microphone to get his message out. I agree he should get out as the outcome is already set, but my guess is that he'll bow out after D.C.
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote:Sigh. If he wants to have an opinion on this thread and it's title as Max originally suggested, he can damn well stop by and say so himself. And if he does, stepping into a place I call home, I'll speak to him then.

I'm not seeking him out.

Alternatively, perhaps I was suggesting that the real issue was whether or not people are of the opinion that Sanders needs to go (which, in turn, drives the question of whether or not the title of the thread should be changed), and that Trump is of the opinion that Sanders should stay in the ring until the bell rings in November. Why would I think Trump knows about the thread, or cares about the title?

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

tru1cy wrote:
El Guapo wrote:I'm trying to wrap my head around what Bernie's plan is leading up to the convention. The DC primary (the final primary) is next Tuesday - I guess he could campaign there, maybe try to pack a stadium for a speech, which might get media attention. Then...what? Door to door housecalls with superdelegates? Putting together superdelegate gift baskets?

Bernie only has one chance at this and he has a HUGE microphone to get his message out. I agree he should get out as the outcome is already set, but my guess is that he'll bow out after D.C.
The microphone's only going to get smaller, though. As time passes without superdelegates flipping, the media's going to pay less and less attention to what he's saying. He could probably get media attention to one big superdelegate pitch speech, but after that that's about it. Even the D.C. primary's not ideal, as he's down 10 points there and is likely to get blown out. He campaigns there a week and then loses by double digits that's not going to make him look like a winner, exactly.
Black Lives Matter.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

El Guapo wrote:
tru1cy wrote:

The microphone's only going to get smaller, though. As time passes without superdelegates flipping, the media's going to pay less and less attention to what he's saying. He could probably get media attention to one big superdelegate pitch speech, but after that that's about it. Even the D.C. primary's not ideal, as he's down 10 points there and is likely to get blown out. He campaigns there a week and then loses by double digits that's not going to make him look like a winner, exactly.

D.C. is similar to Baltimore and the Clintons (especially, Bill) are hugely popular and loved. He'll be doing good if he only loses by 10%. I'm sure they'll give him a spot at the convention especially to rally his supporters for Hilary that's if he's willing to do that. You're right that his microphone will only get smaller after DC
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

tru1cy wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
tru1cy wrote:

D.C. is similar to Baltimore and the Clintons (especially, Bill) are hugely popular and loved. He'll be doing good if he only loses by 10%. I'm sure they'll give him a spot at the convention especially to rally his supporters for Hilary that's if he's willing to do that. You're right that his microphone will only get smaller after DC
If he concedes and endorses Hillary then they will give him a spot at the convention to speak. If not, I would assume they would not.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote:

I'm not seeking him out.

Alternatively, perhaps I was suggesting that the real issue was whether or not people are of the opinion that Sanders needs to go (which, in turn, drives the question of whether or not the title of the thread should be changed), and that Trump is of the opinion that Sanders should stay in the ring until the bell rings in November. Why would I think Trump knows about the thread, or cares about the title?
Er, then why would you suggest his opinion matters when discussing the thread title, which was the context at the time? I'm not trying to pick a fight, but who gives a shit what Trump's opinion is as it applies to the thread title?

geezus.

How about that Bernie guy? I hear he's outstayed his welcome. Me? I never really cared about Bernie or his message, although I did and do find Defiant's constant posting of negative Bernie articles somewhat over the top.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I would have thought that this thread would be the place to regularly post negative (or positive as one sees fit) articles about Bernie Sanders as news develops.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

El Guapo wrote:I would have thought that this thread would be the place to regularly post negative (or positive as one sees fit) articles about Bernie Sanders as news develops.
It absolutely is. But defiant doesn't like Bernie and has posted almost exclusively negative articles. The Hillary thread is for articles that are both positive and negative about Hillary, but no one seems to have any issues giving Rip crap for posting only negative articles.

In any case, I was not giving defiant crap, I was just stating that I found the constant barrage of negativity over the top and noteworthy.
Rip

Post by Rip »

GreenGoo wrote:
El Guapo wrote:I would have thought that this thread would be the place to regularly post negative (or positive as one sees fit) articles about Bernie Sanders as news develops.
It absolutely is. But defiant doesn't like Bernie and has posted almost exclusively negative articles. The Hillary thread is for articles that are both positive and negative about Hillary, but no one seems to have any issues giving Rip crap for posting only negative articles.

In any case, I was not giving defiant crap, I was just stating that I found the constant barrage of negativity over the top and noteworthy.
I post only positive articles in the Trump thread to maintain a balance.

:twisted:
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Perhaps I should abstain from posting articles, and should just post unflattering closeups of Sanders.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

GreenGoo wrote:

People aren't giving Rip crap for posting only negative articles about Hillary, they're giving him crap because he posts transparently stupid negative articles about Hillary. Plenty of other people are posting exclusively or almost exclusively negative articles about Hillary (LordMortis comes to mind, as he's definitely not a fan), but they're not terrible, so they don't get the crap that Rip does.

Any candidate's thread is for both positive and negative articles / news about said candidate, but not every individual is or would be posting both positive and negative articles. I'm pretty sure everyone other than Rip is posting only negative articles about Trump in the Trump thread - is that over the top and noteworthy?

I guess it doesn't matter, but it just seems like an odd complaint to me.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Defiant wrote:Perhaps I should abstain from posting articles, and should just post unflattering closeups of Sanders.
No, I think you just need to find a couple positive articles to maintain your quota.
Black Lives Matter.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Will any Bernie supporters be looking to flee the country? Might I suggest https://www.yahoo.com/news/venezuelans- ... 20476.html as a fitting socialist utopia. :mrgreen:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

shrug. Do whatever you gotta do.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

em2nought wrote:Will any Bernie supporters be looking to flee the country? Might I suggest https://www.yahoo.com/news/venezuelans- ... 20476.html as a fitting socialist utopia. :mrgreen:
Lol. Well at least they aren't handing out tickets like in the capitalist utopia of the US of A.

article
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote:
Max Peck wrote:

I'm not seeking him out.

Er, then why would you suggest his opinion matters when discussing the thread title, which was the context at the time? I'm not trying to pick a fight, but who gives a shit what Trump's opinion is as it applies to the thread title?

geezus.

How about that Bernie guy? I hear he's outstayed his welcome. Me? I never really cared about Bernie or his message, although I did and do find Defiant's constant posting of negative Bernie articles somewhat over the top.
I explained what I was thinking when I posted the comment. If that's not good enough for you, tough noogies. Miscommunication, like shit, happens. :)

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

GreenGoo wrote:
em2nought wrote:Will any Bernie supporters be looking to flee the country? Might I suggest https://www.yahoo.com/news/venezuelans- ... 20476.html as a fitting socialist utopia. :mrgreen:
Lol. Well at least they aren't handing out tickets like in the capitalist utopia of the US of A.

article
If it's any consolation they'd let him rummage through my trash all he wanted if I lived there, it's only their precious downtown that concerns them. :doh:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

GreenGoo wrote:
You'd have to ask Kraken (without checking, I assume he started the thread). If he wants Bernie to continue I think you're out of luck unless you start your own thread. Not everyone necessarily shares your opinion on this. :D
IMO Bernie should have folded when he lost CA. A blowout there would have given his superdelegate defection scenario some credibility. It is time to drop the charade that he can still be the nominee, barring Clinton getting hit by a bus (or the FBI).

However, I'm not going to retitle the thread because I don't want to see him "go away." I want to see him continue to pressure Clinton and the party, particularly in drafting their platform. IDK how his endgame works, but I assume that leaving a lasting mark on the Democrats is his objective, and I don't expect them to like it.

I do think it's time for Clinton and Obama to have a come-to-Jesus meeting with Sanders.
tru1cy wrote:
He knows that this is the high point of his political life, and who can blame him for trying to make the most of it? He will never again have as much influence as he has right now. I hope he uses it wisely to leave a legacy he can be proud of.

Like I said, I don't understand his post-CA endgame, but I suspect that we're going to see it this week.