Canada 2015-22 and Beyond: New Hope or Phantom Menace?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Canada 2015-19: New Hope or Phantom Menace?

Post by GreenGoo »

I did find it funny when some of the gay guys around here started taking an interest in Canadian politics (they were being self referentially funny). Those gays, so self aware, they are. :wink:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Hope is not lost for our American cousins, at least on the dynastic/great hair front. Apparently JFK's grandson (John Schlossberg) has political aspirations, and he is definitely sporting a Trudeauesque coiffure. They'll have to wait a couple or three decades to see how he turns out, of course.

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

ISIS airstrikes by Canada to end by Feb. 22, training forces to triple
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada will cease all coalition airstrikes against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) by Feb. 22, while it beefs up its military efforts, including the number of special forces deployed on the ground to train Iraqi forces for the next two years. "It is important to understand that while airstrike operations can be very useful to achieve short-term military and territorial gains, they do not on their own achieve long-term stability for local communities," Trudeau said during an announcement in Ottawa on Monday. "Canadians learned this lesson first-hand during a very difficult decade in Afghanistan, where our forces became expert military trainers renowned around the world."

Trudeau said while Canada will pull its six fighter jets from the bombing mission, it will also triple, from 69, the number of Canadian Forces members helping train local ground troops to fight ISIS. It will also increase by 230 the 600 Canadian Armed Forces members now deployed as part of Joint Task Force-Iraq. Canada's new contribution to the global fight against ISIS will also include:
  • Maintaining aircrew and support personnel for one CC-150 Polaris aerial refuelling aircraft and up to two CP-140 Aurora aerial surveillance aircraft.
  • $840 million in humanitarian assistance over three years.
  • $270 million over three years to "build local capacity" in Jordan and Lebanon, where there are a large number of refugees.
  • An increased diplomatic presence in the region.
Trudeau was accompanied by Foreign Affairs Minister Stéphane Dion, National Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan and the Minister of International Development Marie-Claude Bibeau at the news conference. Sajjan is preparing to leave for Brussels, where he will meet with NATO defence ministers Feb. 10-11. Members of Parliament are in their ridings for the week, with the House of Commons adjourned until Feb.16. Trudeau said the government will put the new policy to a debate in Parliament, when the House of Commons resumes next week, and a subsequent vote. He also pledged to review Monday's military commitment in two years. "The military mission will be engaged for at least two years. In two years time, after regular updates throughout that period, we will once again reflect on the continuance of the mission ... and will include further debate in two years time in Parliament."

Interim Conservative Party Leader Rona Ambrose, in a written statement, called Canada's withdrawal from the bombing mission against ISIS a "step backward for Canada." "Today, in his first major foreign policy decision, the prime minister has shown that Canada is not 'back.' In fact, this prime minister is taking a shameful step backward from our proud traditions by pulling our CF-18s and Canada out of a combat role against the greatest terror threat in the world," she said in the statement. Ambrose said increasing the number of special forces in a training capacity and the additional humanitarian assistance "are only designed to distract Canadians from the withdrawal of our CF-18s."

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rip

Post by Rip »

In for a penny, in for a pound.

With falling oil prices eroding Canada’s revenue base, newly elected Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is fully embracing deficits, with his finance minister hinting Monday the country will run a deficit of about C$30 billion ($22 billion) in the fiscal year that starts April 1.

It’s one of the biggest fiscal swings in the country’s history that, in just four months since the Oct. 19 election, has cut loose all the fiscal anchors Trudeau pledged to abide by even as he runs deficits. The government’s bet is that appetite for more infrastructure spending and a post-election political honeymoon will trump criticism over borrowing and unmet campaign promises.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... h-deficits
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That's the plan.

Waiting for the actual budget and details.

There's never a shortage of things to spend money on. I'd like to know what is getting what, and for why.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm not sure that "tourism" is the best word to describe it...

Canada moves to rule out suicide tourism
An assisted suicide bill put before Canada's Parliament excludes foreigners from travelling to the country to die. People with mental illness and psychiatric disorders are also excluded and no advance consent is allowed.

Last year, the Canadian Supreme Court struck down a law banning doctors from helping someone die last year. This bill, which is backed by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, must now be studied by committee and then voted on by both House and Senate. It seeks to protect "the conscience rights of medical practitioners", said Canadian Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould. She did not mention why foreigners would be excluded from the new legislation.

Cases brought on by the families of two deceased British Columbia women spurred last year's decision by the court to strike down the law. The court said outlawing assisted suicide deprives people of dignity and autonomy. Prior to that, counselling, aiding or abetting suicide was illegal in Canada. The Liberal government had four months to come up with a new law, a time period that was extended.

tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Cheap tourism at that. You only need a one way ticket!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

tjg_marantz wrote:Cheap tourism at that. You only need a one way ticket!

Turn off your Tapatalk signature. Latest updates flipped them all back on.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Pondering it.

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote:I'm not sure that "tourism" is the best word to describe it...

Canada moves to rule out suicide tourism
An assisted suicide bill put before Canada's Parliament excludes foreigners from travelling to the country to die. People with mental illness and psychiatric disorders are also excluded and no advance consent is allowed.

Last year, the Canadian Supreme Court struck down a law banning doctors from helping someone die last year. This bill, which is backed by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, must now be studied by committee and then voted on by both House and Senate. It seeks to protect "the conscience rights of medical practitioners", said Canadian Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould. She did not mention why foreigners would be excluded from the new legislation.

Cases brought on by the families of two deceased British Columbia women spurred last year's decision by the court to strike down the law. The court said outlawing assisted suicide deprives people of dignity and autonomy. Prior to that, counselling, aiding or abetting suicide was illegal in Canada. The Liberal government had four months to come up with a new law, a time period that was extended.
It's appropriate usage as the term is being used in the same way it's used for other purpose-built visits to countries.

And there's no reason they can't take in the wonderful sights and experiences of Canada while they're here anyway. Well, until they aren't here (or anywhere) any longer.

Honestly I don't have an opinion on this one. If allowing our own to die with dignity, I'm not sure why we'd deny that right to others, besides the cost of course.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The Canadian government observes 420 Day. :)
Federal legislation to legalize marijuana will be ready in a year, Canada's health minister told the UN at a special session of the General Assembly in New York today. "We will introduce legislation in spring 2017 that ensures we keep marijuana out of the hands of children and profits out of the hands of criminals," Jane Philpott said in her prepared speech to delegates. "We will work with law enforcement partners to encourage appropriate and proportionate criminal justice measures. We know it is impossible to arrest our way out of this problem," she said.

Delegates are reviewing the progress and implementation of the UN's 2009 action plan on drugs to assess ongoing challenges in combating the world's drug problems. Three days of meetings will conclude Thursday. Bill Blair, the parliamentary secretary to the justice minister who serves as Canada's point man on the legalization legislation, is with Philpott in New York. "It's a great deal of work. It's important to do it right. And so, we're looking at regulations with respect to production, distribution, the retail and consumption of marijuana and we want to make sure that it's based on the best advice from experts." Blair told reporters on his way to the meetings on Tuesday. The health minister said the government's proposed marijuana policy challenges the status quo, but will enhance the safety of youth.

The federal Liberal Party's election pledge on pot would breach three global treaties on illicit drug use signed by previous Canadian governments. Canada's plans are contentious for some other UN members. Philpott said that she is aware states will take different approaches on the matter, but is hopeful they can find common ground to create a comprehensive, collaborative and compassionate drug policy.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote:The Canadian government observes 420 Day. :)
We know it is impossible to arrest our way out of this problem," she said.
Er...which problem is that? Any problem you are "solving" by making it legal, were problems you "created" by making it illegal.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote:
Max Peck wrote:The Canadian government observes 420 Day. :)
We know it is impossible to arrest our way out of this problem," she said.
Er...which problem is that? Any problem you are "solving" by making it legal, were problems you "created" by making it illegal.
Oh noes, one phrase from a political speech that is presented out of context appears to be semantically null! :o

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Lol.

It's not out of context, and the context is available right above it. Anyone seeing my comment would have had the opportunity to read the entirety of your quote, first. I highlighted the sentence, I didn't portray it in a different light.

It smacks of "I apologize that you are such a sensitive ass and took umbrage at what I said" mental gymnastics. "It" being the quote, not your comments.

In all seriousness though, what problem is she referring to in that sentence? Addiction? Crime? general drunkeness stonedness? What's your opinion on it?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote:Lol.

It's not out of context, and the context is available right above it. Anyone seeing my comment would have had the opportunity to read the entirety of your quote, first. I highlighted the sentence, I didn't portray it in a different light.

It smacks of "I apologize that you are such a sensitive ass and took umbrage at what I said" mental gymnastics. "It" being the quote, not your comments.

In all seriousness though, what problem is she referring to in that sentence? Addiction? Crime? general drunkeness stonedness? What's your opinion on it?
The article itself only quotes 3 sentences, and I'm too lazy to look up her full speech, but the UN general assembly special session that she addressed was convened to address "the progress and implementation of the UN's 2009 action plan on drugs to assess ongoing challenges in combating the world's drug problems." That is a much wider scope than just marijuana. Unless one takes the position that the only drug problem in the world is that recreational drugs of various kinds are illegal (as opposed to things like addiction, drug-related crime, etc), then it seems reasonable to say that there are better ways to deal with these other issues than simply arresting users.

I did think it was noteworthy that the government has committed itself to a timeframe for legalization, and that it was just a little awesome that they announced it on 4/20. Given that, I'm not too worried about the flavour of sugar-coating applied to the announcement. :)

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Shrug. I'm on board with the legalization as well, and the states that have already done so seem to be doing well, which should reduce any fear generated by the change. The 4/20 date is more self aware than I would expect out of the government, and yes, it's all kinds of awesome.

The "arrest our way out of the problem" just rubbed me the wrong way. Perhaps I just don't understand what she means. But that's beside the point.

I'm not excited by the change, as I don't smoke and I don't have anyone close to me that does (to my knowledge) and it's not a thing I care much about. I think it should be legal, and this change is more of a "finally" to me than a cause for celebration.

It's a good change, long in coming but finally here. Excellent.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I don't use mj because it's illegal, not because I see it as being "wrong" per se (any more than alcohol or tobacco, anyway). When they get to the point where I can buy it without my money going to a criminal enterprise, I'll probably try it out just to see what all the fuss was about. :)

My impression of the "we can't arrest our way out" comment is that the government does feel that there are drug-related problems in need of solutions, and that they believe that prison isn't the best solution for some of them. Note that it was the Minister of Health addressing the UN, not the Minister of Justice. An example of that sort of approach might be providing safe injection sites, even though heroin itself is illegal.

Meanwhile, in other news that nobody cares about, Mike Duffy (our erstwhile poster boy for petty Senate shenanigans) is absolved of all charges. I'm a little surprised by that outcome -- I wonder if it will increase grassroot support for Senate reform/abolition rather than assure folks that everything is kosher after all.
A judge in an Ottawa court has cleared Senator Mike Duffy of all 31 criminal charges and delivered a scathing indictment of the political operations of the office of former prime minister Stephen Harper. Justice Charles Vaillancourt said the Prime Minister's Office under Harper treated Senators as "pawns" and described Duffy as just another "piece on the chess board." "The political, covert, relentless unfolding of events is mind-boggling and shocking," he said. "The precision and planning of the exercise would make any military commander proud. But in the context of a democratic society, the plotting that's revealed in the emails can only be described as unacceptable."

Vaillancourt portrayed Duffy as an unwilling partner in a scheme to accept a $90,000 cheque from Harper's former chief of staff Nigel Wright to cover questionable expenses, even though they were likely legitimate, "Could Hollywood match their creativity?" he asked. Vaillancourt called the senator a "credible witness" and said the Crown failed to prove the case on any of the 31 charges of fraud, bribery and breach of trust. While some of Duffy's transactions might be deemed "unorthodox," they were not criminal, he ruled.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I saw that this morning omw to work. I thought about posting it, then thought only Max will care, then thought he already knows, so then I just forgot about it.

I skimmed the article, and the judge dumped all over the PMO, but he also had a few things to say about the prosecutors, and while it was clear that the PMO had been up to shenanigans, I still don't know if the Judge thought Duffy was innocent, or just "technically" innocent because the prosecutors sucked.

In any case, he's back at it and there doesn't seem to be any consequences for anyone, so...great. Or maybe Harper and gang are out of office in part because of this. Shrug.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Oh noes, political thuggery, Great White North style!
Canadian Prime Minster Justin Trudeau has been accused of "manhandling" a Conservative MP as the House of Commons debated an assisted-dying bill. Video shows Mr Trudeau walking into a crowd and taking Opposition Whip Gord Brown by his arm in an apparent attempt to steer him to his seat. New Democratic Party MP Ruth-Ellen Brosseau said she was "elbowed in the chest" in the ensuing scuffle. Mr Trudeau later apologised to Ms Brosseau of Quebec "unreservedly".

Liberal Party leader Mr Trudeau also had a heated verbal exchange with New Democratic Party leader Tom Mulcair. "What kind of man elbows a woman? It's pathetic! You're pathetic!" Mr Mulcair shouted at Mr Trudeau in the incident caught on video. The CBC reported that Mr Trudeau lost his temper and shouted an expletive. The incident is considered a rare misstep for the young prime minister who is popular at home and abroad. "I have never seen a display of bully behaviour by a Canadian politician let alone a prime minister as I witnessed just now in the chamber," said David Sweet, a Conservative MP from Ontario.

The row appears to have begun when Mr Trudeau sought to put an end to Mr Brown's speech in the House after accusing him of deliberately speaking slowly. Elizabeth May, a Green Party MP from British Columbia, said opposition MPs were engaging in "mischief" to delay the vote. Several lawmakers were concerned about the breakdown in civility in the House of Commons. "We don't want to become a House of Commons from some country you watch on CNN," Ms May said.

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Didn't know he did this bit and haven't seen it yet. Thanks for bringing it up.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I love how Trudeau is more popular than ever and the NPD is going down the deep end. This was nothing, a little bump and the NPD is trying to make this some kind of epic violence towards women thing. Fucking pathetic seriously I almost voted for those fuckwit. Phew disaster avoided.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I just enjoy the fact that this, along with such tripe as the hubbub over Sophie Grégoire-Trudeau saying that she needed help in order to try to stay on top of all the new demands on her time, is what passes for a Canadian political scandal for now. This was even getting coverage at the BBC and elsewhere ("Is the Trudeau honeymoon over?"). If that's all Trudeau has to worry about, things are going pretty well. :)

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote:I just enjoy the fact that this, along with such tripe as the hubbub over Sophie Grégoire-Trudeau saying that she needed help in order to try to stay on top of all the new demands on her time, is what passes for a Canadian political scandal for now. This was even getting coverage at the BBC and elsewhere ("Is the Trudeau honeymoon over?"). If that's all Trudeau has to worry about, things are going pretty well. :)
Ditto.

I'm not happy about spending our way through this downturn (mostly because I think he's using it as a green light to spend way more than is appropriate) but we're doing pretty good if accidentally nudging someone's boob (while manhandling another politician :D although I don't approve of that either) is the best the opposition has got. And the wife asking for more assistants. I'm not sure how I feel about granting the request, but I do know that I don't find the request itself in any way inappropriate.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote:
Max Peck wrote:I just enjoy the fact that this, along with such tripe as the hubbub over Sophie Grégoire-Trudeau saying that she needed help in order to try to stay on top of all the new demands on her time, is what passes for a Canadian political scandal for now. This was even getting coverage at the BBC and elsewhere ("Is the Trudeau honeymoon over?"). If that's all Trudeau has to worry about, things are going pretty well. :)
Ditto.

I'm not happy about spending our way through this downturn (mostly because I think he's using it as a green light to spend way more than is appropriate) but we're doing pretty good if accidentally nudging someone's boob (while manhandling another politician :D although I don't approve of that either) is the best the opposition has got. And the wife asking for more assistants. I'm not sure how I feel about granting the request, but I do know that I don't find the request itself in any way inappropriate.
I've heard it described as Trudeau "manhandling" the Conservative to force him to sit down (I had visions of Trudeau having a flashback to his prior job as a highschool teacher), but the actual video looks more like Trudeau was trying to help him get past that gaggle of NDP(?) MPs that appear to be preventing him from going to his seat.

I'm just disappointed in the lame-stream media for not making any reference (that I've seen) to Trudeau earning 2 minutes in the penalty box for elbowing. That would have made the rest of the coverage all worthwhile.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

O Canada, don't ever change.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kraken wrote:O Canada, don't ever change.
Sorry man, but...
Canadian MPs have voted to change the lyrics of the English language version of the country's national anthem to make it more gender neutral. The move would change the words "in all thy sons command" to "in all of us command" in the anthem, O Canada. It was tabled by MP Mauril Belanger, of the governing Liberal Party, who is suffering from an incurable disease. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has focused on gender inclusivity since his election last October. After the vote, MPs stood and applauded Mr Belanger, who sat in the House in his wheelchair. The change now goes to the Senate, which is expected to pass it. However, it is unclear if that will happen before the Senate rises for summer and the bill's supporters fear Mr Belanger may not live to see the change become law. He was diagnosed last November with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. The fight to change the words of O Canada has stirred a passionate national debate. A similar plan was rejected in 2010 by the Conservatives, who held the majority in parliament.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

<insert "death panels" joke here>

Canada's parliament passes assisted suicide bill
Canada's parliament has passed a contentious bill to allow medically-assisted death for terminally ill people. The law was put forward after the Supreme Court struck down a ban on doctors helping the incurably sick to die. The move makes Canada one of the few countries where doctors can legally help sick people die. But critics say the new legislation is too restrictive. They argue it will prevent people with degenerative conditions, such as multiple sclerosis, from seeking assisted suicide. Government officials say the new law is a first step and can be expanded in the future.

The legislation had already passed by the House of Commons and Friday's Senate vote means it now only needs the formality of royal assent from the governor-general to become law. Some senators were in favour of a much broader law but after weeks of political wrangling they gave in to pressure by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Liberal government, which had narrowed the scope of the bill. In a statement, Canada's Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould and Health Minister Jane Philpott said the bill struck "the right balance between personal autonomy for those seeking access to medically assisted dying and protecting the vulnerable".

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Canadian Parliament attempts to incite American coup:
Canada's Parliament broke into chants of "four more years" as President Barack Obama wrapped up the first address there by a U.S. leader since 1995. Four years for Obama amounts to wishful thinking. He's nearing the end of his second term in office and speaks fondly of life after the presidency. His term ends in mid-January 2017. The U.S. Constitution bars him from running for a third term. Canada's lawmakers also greeted Obama, who is popular in Canada, with a rousing standing ovation after he arrived in the House of Commons. The reception prompted Obama to joke that the "extraordinary welcome" tempted him to just "shut up and leave." He spoke for nearly an hour.

Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Max Peck wrote:Canadian Parliament attempts to incite American coup:
Canada's Parliament broke into chants of "four more years" as President Barack Obama wrapped up the first address there by a U.S. leader since 1995. Four years for Obama amounts to wishful thinking. He's nearing the end of his second term in office and speaks fondly of life after the presidency. His term ends in mid-January 2017. The U.S. Constitution bars him from running for a third term. Canada's lawmakers also greeted Obama, who is popular in Canada, with a rousing standing ovation after he arrived in the House of Commons. The reception prompted Obama to joke that the "extraordinary welcome" tempted him to just "shut up and leave." He spoke for nearly an hour.
Awesome. I'm on board!
Isgrimnur wrote:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Get back to work, ya bum! And would it hurt you to put on a shirt?

Enlarge Image
A Canadian family on holiday stumbled upon a shirtless Prime Minister Justin Trudeau while hiking in Quebec's Gatineau Park. The Godby family spotted Mr Trudeau last week as the prime minister and his family emerged from a cave. After some hesitation, the Godbys struck up conversation with the Trudeaus and a selfie was taken. "It was just like, 'Wow, that's crazy! We just met the PM,'" Jim Godby of Peterborough told the Toronto Star. The Trudeaus had been exploring the Lusk Cave, a marble cavern with a waist-high stream running through it. The famous cave is in the centre of the vast national park, which is about 50km northwest of Ottawa. "When you step out your front door, you never know what adventures await," Mr Godby later wrote in a Facebook post about the encounter.

Vorret

Post by Vorret »

It's so weird that you can just ... stumble on the prime minister. I mean we're not the biggest country in the world but we're still somewhat important on the international stage.
Isgrimnur wrote:
Rip

Post by Rip »

Vorret wrote:It's so weird that you can just ... stumble on the prime minister. I mean we're not the biggest country in the world but we're still somewhat important on the international stage.
No you're not.

:horse:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rip wrote:
Vorret wrote:It's so weird that you can just ... stumble on the prime minister. I mean we're not the biggest country in the world but we're still somewhat important on the international stage.
No you're not.

:horse:
'Merica! Huah! :P

Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Eh, 2nd largest country, 10th biggest economy, not doing too bad for a country with 1/10th of the US population!
Isgrimnur wrote:
Rip

Post by Rip »

Vorret wrote:Eh, 2nd largest country, 10th biggest economy, not doing too bad for a country with 1/10th of the US population!
Enlarge Image
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rip wrote:
Vorret wrote:Eh, 2nd largest country, 10th biggest economy, not doing too bad for a country with 1/10th of the US population!
Enlarge Image
Don't worry your little head, Trumpellina. You'll always be the prettiest belle at the ball. ;)

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

While he's not big on actual bombing, Trudeau is perfectly willing to photobomb a wedding. And does the guy even own a shirt?

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Terror threat suspect killed by police
CBC News has confirmed that Aaron Driver, a suspect being sought in connection with a terror threat, has been killed in a confrontation with police in Strathroy, Ont. A family member confirmed the death of the 24-year-old. CBC News has learned that Driver's family was told by the RCMP that police shot Driver after he detonated an explosive device that injured himself and another person. The family was also told Driver had another device that he was going to detonate, which is why police shot him.

A senior police official told Canadian Press Wednesday the suspect allegedly planned to use a bomb to carry out a suicide bombing mission in a public area but was killed in a police operation. The RCMP were conducting an operation in a residential southwestern Ontario neighbourhood of Strathroy on Wednesday evening after it said credible information of a potential terrorist act was received earlier in the day. "A suspect was identified and the proper course of action has been taken to ensure that there is no danger to the public's safety," according to an RCMP statement. "As this is still an unfolding matter and that the investigation is still underway, we are not able to provide further comment at this time," the RCMP said.

Driver, a known ISIS supporter, agreed to the conditions of a peace bond in a Winnipeg court earlier this year after being arrested in June 2015. By agreeing to the peace bond, Driver was "consenting or acknowledging that there are reasonable grounds to fear that he may participate, contribute — directly or indirectly — in the activity of a terrorist group." Driver's former lawyer, Leonard Tailleur, told CBC News he was surprised by the news. "It's shocking. Absolutely shocking, actually. It's very shocking news," Tailleur, who handled Driver's peace bond process, said. "He was generally looked to be low risk as long as there's certain things that had been dealt with." Driver was most likely under regular police surveillance, Tailleur said. "If he was doing his thing it was kind of ridiculous because I'm certain he was going to be under scrutiny, beyond his peace bond as well," Tailleur said. "Police would always monitor his whereabouts, what he was accessing, etcetera. They'd make him a priority." Among the conditions of the peace bond was living at a specified address in Strathroy and notifying a specified RCMP sergeant of any changes in address.

Driver caught the attention of CSIS, Canada's spy agency, in October 2014 when he was tweeting support for the militant group ISIS under the alias Harun Abdurahman. He also said the Parliament Hill attack in October of that year by Michael Zehaf-Bibeau was justified. Tailleur said there was never any indication that he was directly affiliated with the Middle East-based militant group. "There was never any expressed indication that he belonged to them in any fashion or was acting as a catalyst for them or anything. His activities consisted of posting [online] with some of these individuals," he said. Ralph Goodale, minister of public safety and emergency preparedness, said in a statement Wednesday evening he had made Prime Minister Justin Trudeau aware of the situation and repeated that public safety is "protected." Taking all relevant information into account, the national terrorism threat level for Canada remains at "medium" where it has stood since the fall of 2014, Goodale added. The RCMP said there would be no immediate further comment. The Mounties planned to hold a news conference on Thursday to provide details.