Games Finished: 2016, now with discussion!

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

coopasonic

Re: Games Finished: 2016, now with discussion!

Post by coopasonic »

In the past month I have finished everything I had on deck:

Dying Light
Homefront: The Revolution
The Walking Dead: Season Two - or as I like to call it, "Meaningful Glances Coop is Largely Unable to Understand, Season Two."
Game of Thrones - A Telltale Games Series
Remember Me
Broken Age

Steam sale is still weeks away and I have nothing to play! I'm browsing my "Not Interested" category on steam to see if there is anything I want to give another shot.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

New Update!

Borderlands 2 - (8/10) - Finally finished this game. Better than the original and a super tight, super fun shooter with great writing and stories. I have to say Handsome Jack is one of the number one adversaries I've faced in games and this helps make this game memorable. My only problem with the game is the number of side quests that really stand to pad the games length and don't add to the overall story that much. Trying to complete all these side quests is what caused to me pick and drop the game several times over the years. However, I was happy to complete it and feel I got my money's worth. A great series and some day I will move on to the Pre-Sequel someday. June 9, 2016

Jump to Scoop20906 2016 Games List
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You need to get Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep DLC, at least. Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage would be a close second.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

New Update!

Dragon Age Inquisition - (8/10) - The Dragon Age series is one of my favorite gaming experiences. From the first one fighting as the Hero of Ferelden against the 5th Blight, to surviving the mage rebellion of Kirkwall as Hawke, to finally leading an mighty Inquisition to defeat one of the first darkspawn, Dragon Age has one of the best story telling in gaming today. Of course, each of the games has had shortcoming and quirks but The 3rd in the series was easily the most ambitious and over designed. My chief complaints were the resource gathering which is great in concept but tedious in practice and the horrible "consolely" controls that nerfed keyboard and mouse controls. But beyond that AWESOME GAME. So many lands to visit. So many creatures and Dragons to fight. The story is fairly tight as well. I felt a purpose to my actions as I closed rifts and settled disputes throughout Thedas. However, at the end I have to say the ending was less satisfying as the ending for Mass Effect 3 which gave your party a more intimate time with you. But in the end, this is a great game and I'm excited for the next installment. Just crossing my fingers that they develop it with PC first controls. June 10, 2016

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Isgrimnur wrote:You need to get Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep DLC, at least. Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage would be a close second.
I've heard great things about the Tiny Tina DLC. Maybe someday I will try it out.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Finished up the Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection by completing Uncharted 3 tonight.

Great series and I'm really happy I finally got to play them after having skipped out on the PS generation that hosted them originally. While playing them back-to-back showcased how similarly formulaic they are, they were still a fun romp and I never once lost interest.

My favorite of the three was definitely Uncharted 2. It improved upon the first title with more polish and some new tricks, and it never grew stale in terms of gameplay or environments. Uncharted 3, while adding more robust melee combat and some slight tweaks here and there, just didn't feel like as much of a jump. I also didn't find the storyline nearly as engaging.

I'm greatly looking forward to Uncharted 4, but I'll wait for a price drop. After three games played almost to exclusion of everything else, I need a little break from the series anyway.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I've stalled a bit. Just can't get motivated. And a couple of the games I'm playing seem to have bogged down. I need to find something quick and easy. :)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

YellowKing wrote:Finished up the Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection by completing Uncharted 3 tonight.

Great series and I'm really happy I finally got to play them after having skipped out on the PS generation that hosted them originally. While playing them back-to-back showcased how similarly formulaic they are, they were still a fun romp and I never once lost interest.

My favorite of the three was definitely Uncharted 2. It improved upon the first title with more polish and some new tricks, and it never grew stale in terms of gameplay or environments. Uncharted 3, while adding more robust melee combat and some slight tweaks here and there, just didn't feel like as much of a jump. I also didn't find the storyline nearly as engaging.

I'm greatly looking forward to Uncharted 4, but I'll wait for a price drop. After three games played almost to exclusion of everything else, I need a little break from the series anyway.
Agree with your assessment. The beginning the Uncharted 2 was such a jump from anything else I have ever played. It hooked me in enough to care where the story went. 3 was very fun but didn't wow me as much. Waiting for 4 to price drop as well but it looks awesome.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Thought that I'd take another stab at FarCry 2. But, alas, not to be. At least not, apparently, until I get another video card. I'm having the same issue that I was having with Fallout 4; the video driver stops working and I have to reboot the computer. Unfortunately, unlike Fallout 4, I don't see a trigger. So no avoiding it. :(

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Restarted a game that I last played almost 4 years ago. Apparently I was about 90% done. I managed to figure out how to play well enough to finish it from there. Did not (thankfully) have to begin again. That would have sucked.

Black Lives Matter

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

What was the game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Dungeon Siege 3. I was in the city at the end. And level 34... out of an apparent cap of 35. Luckily I apparently didn't have to be very good with my skills to still get by. There were a few fights that I had to re-do a couple of times, but I actually picked up on the dodge mechanic pretty quickly. It would have really sucked to have to start all over.

Black Lives Matter

Jolor

Post by Jolor »

L.A. Noire

Wonderful story and atmosphere. Horrid, horrid, horrid controls. At least the game realized it (unlike Mafia) and let you strike out after three failed attempts and let you skip the "action" sequences without penalty. The questioning of suspects was, at times, obtuse.
A Love/Hate relationship with this game yields a 4 o' 8 tentacles.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

The Stanley Parable
Ahahahahaahahahhahahahahhahahaha!

7 o' 8 tentacles
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

The Talos Principle
Took the white door after completing the three worlds. I did do all the stars on worlds A and B and probably half on C. Unlocked the access to the messengers but never an actual messenger. I just ran out of brain cells. Will come back to this, restore a previous save and continue at some point. Just not now.

8 o' 8 tentacles
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I didn't take the white door. I need to check youtube to see what happened.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Ugh. Still can't find anything to really grab my attention.

I have made a lot of progress on my Eador campaign.

And I'm playing through Divinity: Original Sin with my best friend. I'd probably be able to get behind that, but I'm limiting myself to only playing when he can.

:(

Black Lives Matter

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Rimworld?

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I played some DF early on. It was okay. But it didn't really grab me. I might play those types of games for a little while, but I never finish them. Which would make any of them a terrible choice for this thread. :D

Black Lives Matter

Jolor

Post by Jolor »

What about a freebie like Path of Exile? Waste some time on a hack/slash until the gaming universe unveils your next purpose.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

According to your Steam profile you own Portal 2, but have not played it.
If that's true, you should play Portal 2 immediately.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

That's actually not a bad idea. It's even installed. I think at some level I was holding out to play with my wife. But she never really got into the first one.

I'd been hoping to finish up some that I'd already started. But that isn't working out to well. A new one that doesn't take over my life might be nice. I beat the first Portal in 3 hours the second time around. So I'm assuming that this one won't be that much of a commitment.

Black Lives Matter

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Portal 2 is longer than the first, though not a huge time commitment. I'm going from memory but I'd guess somewhere around 15 hrs for the single player portion.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I'm thinking it was a bit shorter than that, but more importantly, it is a whole new slice of cake in the general Half-Life universe, unlike the first one which was just a very clever puzzle game.
I have but one advocate.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

What ever happened to robots/AI's/synthetic organisms not having emotions? I'm getting the strong impression that she doesn't like me very much.

:D

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

And done. That was an interesting ride. Definitely some unexpected surprises (as opposed to those "expected 'surprises'"). Good fun. Steam put me at 7 hours.

Black Lives Matter

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Beat the main storyline of FAR CRY: PRIMAL last night. I still plan on 100%-ing it though.

I know it got a bit of a mixed reception, but I absolutely loved it. Just refreshing to play one of these open world "shooters" that didn't actually use guns. The amount of upgrades and crafting was a lot of fun as well.

I will admit the game was more fun early on when you're weak and have to carefully conserve your resources. I'm at the point now where I have every upgrade and I essentially just run past enemies vs even bothering to engage them.

One of these days I may try it in Survival Mode which is supposedly a lot of fun, but I'll need a little break after this. I've probably sunk a good 60 hours-plus into it.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Finished Day of the Tentacle (remastered). 7/8 testicles ONLY if you are open to overt silliness in your games. Otherwise, 5/8.

I tried replaying this game using my original CD about a year ago or so (more?), via Dosbox maybe, but just could not get past the first third. Too silly, and not really THAT funny the 3rd time around.

So I kind of surprised myself by buying it (again) remastered when it was on sale. It's a very short game (5 hrs maybe?), so very doable for me these days. I remembered SOME of the puzzles, but not all, and some were of the "WTF are you serious?!" variety that older adventure games are infamous for (but really only a couple or three like that).

Dialogue holds up well, and some funny lines (even laugh out loud moments) delivered with exceptional skill considering the time this game was made.

If you played DOTT before and liked it, I highly recommend picking up the remaster...it is BEAUTIFUL. They also smoothed out some of the jerky animations that until I heard the director cut dialogue, I always assumed was due to my slow ass computer (when I originally played it).

Amazingly, the intro is one of the best done in that style that I have ever seen, very much Chuck Jonesy, and done by an unpaid intern with practically no direction (I'd love to know who that person is and what they are doing today)! It really is awesome if you appreciate animation at all, (Looney Tunes, etc). I remember watching it the first time on my old (486?) computer, and thinking "we have arrived. They finally made computer graphics on par with cartoons"

Great, old game that I am thrilled to have played again, for the last time.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Carpet_pissr wrote: 7/8 testicles ONLY if you are open to overt silliness in your games. Otherwise, 5/8.
Oh? Did the scale change while I wasn't looking?

I might have to pass if that is the case...

8-)

Black Lives Matter

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I considered it an equivalent unit of measure. If I've borked the scale, I apologize.

Also just making sure you were paying attention
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

:lol:

Edit: 5000 posts! Woo hoo!

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

TheMix wrote::lol:

Edit: 5000 posts! Woo hoo!
Congrats!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Finally got around to playing Remember Me. I remember being intrigued by the trailers.

Unfortunately, I was very disappointed in the actual product. The story was interesting. And most of the fights were okay, though very repetitive. But the game play was horrid. And the camera was infuriating. Which complicated the already frustrating movement. The boss fights were way too long; and one mistake generally meant replaying them.

Could have been much, much better.

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just finished Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter with the kids in coop. It has been years since I've played it, and I have to say that I was a little disappointed. Oh, the shooting was still great Serious Sam fare, but after the Borderlands series, the cooperative play was a bit of a let down.

First off, all of the story elements were removed. There were no cutscenes, and no quips from Sam. You just go dumped into the level and fight to the exit, then click 'Continue' to be dumped into the next level. There was no persistence. You'd find secrets, get weapons early and stock up on ammo, then next time you played it would all be gone. You'd just start out with the default weapons and ammo.

I think the worst thing, though, was the death mechanic. You die and all you do is click 'fire' to respawn with full health. There was absolutely no reason to not die, not even a delay in getting back to the fight. It took all the strategy and oomph out of the combat. It was impossible to fail, and dying was just a quick way to heal.

I love Serious Sam, and we'll still play The Second Encounter and SS2, but I do wish that the coop was actually a bit deeper.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Dragon Age: Inquisition
Male Human Rogue, Archer :wub: Josephine

I wasn't sure about playing another 'long haul' game so shortly after dedicating so much time to The Witcher 3 - and it was hard to not make comparisons. So a very good game in its own right was compared to one of the best games that I've had the pleasure to play. In a direct comparison, TW3 was superior in every way.
On its own, however, I did come to enjoy DA:I. The party-based combat was the greatest differentiator as much of the rest of the gameplay was similar (open world, crafting, gathering materials, romance, horse-riding to name a few). Oh - and that whole putting points in the Inquisition thing. I was a little ticked that I couldn't tumble without spending a skill point.

7 o' 8 tentacles
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i completed Expand over the course of a few nights. nice soundtrack.

then i finished Regency Solitaire (from the makers of Fairway Solitaire) on Hard.

most games i'm playing now have no endings, so they'll never be mentioned here...
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

New Update!

Grand Theft Auto V - (10/10) - A true masterpiece of our time. A world game engine so real that companies who are programming AI to drive cars use this game to test on. I don't have much more to say other than I played the heck out of this game and got my money's worth and more. This game is a rare gem. August 31, 2016

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

New Update!

Oxenfree - (6/10) - I have a LOVE with a little hate relationship with this game. So the love part is that IS a really great game and you can see how much attention, care, and creativity the development team put into this. The writing, voice acting, art, music, and sounds design are all top notch. A special nod goes to the radio noise when scanning the channels. However, the little hate goes with the game engine itself. I found navigating the island to be tedious. The exploration became a chore for some reason and I'd lose interest and stop playing. And when I came back to it, I had a very difficult time remembering what I was supposed to be doing next. I also had a problem with the game freezing up often causing me to reboot which really killed the momentum. I know the developer wanted to take you out of cut scenes where you passively watch the dialogue but they weren't able to give you something better to do while you watched the dialogue. I don't know what they could have done different. This just didn't work for me. But overall its a great experience and I would have enjoyed the story more if I hadn't had the problem with the engine crashes and moving around the island. Still, overall a fun time and you should buy it. September 23, 2016

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bioshock 1 completed. Every little sister rescued.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Awwww... What a nice guy! I'd actually taken some Adam from the first one or two I met (though I don't think I killed them). Then I read up on it. I did manage to get them to like me, but didn't get credit for being a complete softy.

Black Lives Matter