Pokemon Go

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zarathud

Pokemon Go

Post by Zarathud »

I have kids obsessed about Pokemon, so could not avoid this more than a few days. Even my mom wanted to know how we were doing.

We chose Team Blue--Articuno and evolving.

My sister's apartment is in range of a pokestop, so they can just tag it from the couch. Crazy.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Exodor

Re: Pokemon Go

Post by Exodor »

We walked about two and a half miles today seeking Pokemon. Elise also discovered she can scoop up a number of them as I drive from place to place.

We have a pokestop across the street from us - it's too far to tag from inside but we can get it from the driveway.

I see a lot of walking with my daughter in my future. :horse:
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm in a Pokemon desert so I'm near no Pokestops and I've only caught two or three types of Pokemon. I find the whole concept hilarious though.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I think I've already hit PokeFatigue. There are 3 PokeStops on my work campus and I couldn't be bothered to hit the third one on my way into the office this morning. Contrast that with Friday where I was on campus for about 30 minutes grabbing Pokemon before heading inside. I think part of my fatigue is that 5 days in I am way behind the power curve. We have a Gym on campus as well. It is owned by an opposing team and defended by a CP646 Jolteon, owned by a level 15 trainer. I'm level 8 and my highest is a 363 Golbat evolved from the world's strongest wild Zubat.

I haven't spent any money on the game and I don't plan to. My kids don't have any capable devices and I don't intend on getting them any until they can afford to pay for the data plan (and an apartment).

On the plus side, it does drive exercise. On the downside it is really slowing down the pace on my runs as I use them to hatch eggs and stop to capture the occasional pokemon that gets in my way.

It is very cool, but don't think I have the drive to keep at it without more positive feedback and the mechanisms for that are slim, shockingly like a JRPG grind. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

A bunch of people in the lab I work in got it so I figured I would give it a shot. I've gotten a few pokemon but am still not yet level 5 so I haven't joined a team and can't use the gyms. But I don't think I quite get the concept; you just collect the pokemon, occasionally evolve them into better versions, and then what? Fight at the gyms? What benefits do you get for taking over a gym? And is fighting an active thing or does the best pokemon always win?
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: you just collect the pokemon, occasionally evolve them into better versions, and then what? Fight at the gyms?
That's about it, yeah.

What benefits do you get for taking over a gym?
Having one of your Pokemon defned a gym for a period of time (I've read it's 21 hours) is the only way to earn PokeCoins in-game
And is fighting an active thing or does the best pokemon always win?
No idea - I'm so far behind the curve I'm always taking a ~140CP Pokemon against something with 750CP.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

There is an active component to the fighting, but I haven't figured it out yet. I keep meaning to check youtube for some help.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

FWIW, this is what I read on SA
Every Pokemon has two attacks if you look at their profile. Their first and weaker attack is what's used if you just tap your Pokemon repeatedly in battle and takes no time to execute (so immediately). The second and stronger move will have a variety of blue bar lengths, and they get built up during battle the more you attack. Once a complete bar is charged up, you can tap and hold with your finger on the screen to execute that stronger move. A somewhat weak 2nd move like Aerial Ace might have four short bars, and only do slightly more damage but is charged up faster. Stronger 2nd moves like Body Slam might have two long bars to charge, and really strong moves like Fire Blast or Hyper Beam will have one extremely long bar to charge.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My kids went on a walk around the neighborhood last night at 9:30. My kids. Outside. After dark. Walking around. :shock:
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hentzau wrote:My kids went on a walk around the neighborhood last night at 9:30. My kids. Outside. After dark. Walking around. :shock:
I'm calling DCFS! :wink:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Exodor wrote:FWIW, this is what I read on SA
Every Pokemon has two attacks if you look at their profile. Their first and weaker attack is what's used if you just tap your Pokemon repeatedly in battle and takes no time to execute (so immediately). The second and stronger move will have a variety of blue bar lengths, and they get built up during battle the more you attack. Once a complete bar is charged up, you can tap and hold with your finger on the screen to execute that stronger move. A somewhat weak 2nd move like Aerial Ace might have four short bars, and only do slightly more damage but is charged up faster. Stronger 2nd moves like Body Slam might have two long bars to charge, and really strong moves like Fire Blast or Hyper Beam will have one extremely long bar to charge.
Thanks. I won a battle!

The first pokemon on the gym was a 398. I have a 363 and a couple 200s, figured it was doable. I lost two guys but defeated my first pokemon... the second one was a 1361. :shock:

I need to find a good pokemon to pump... I'm also running out of pokeballs. In the first 5-6 levels all I got from the pokestops was pokeballs, so it was 3-4 each stop, 9 each trip around campus. Now I keep getting heals, revives and berries that I hardly need to use and often only 1 or 2 pokeballs.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote:
hentzau wrote:My kids went on a walk around the neighborhood last night at 9:30. My kids. Outside. After dark. Walking around. :shock:
In Chicago? Deathwish much?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

coopasonic wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:
In Chicago? Deathwish much?
We're in a nice quiet neighborhood. Plus, they are 20, 16 and 13. Fairly capable and street smart.

Our church is a Pokestop, for all of you OctoCon goers.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

When's the fall date?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Downtown Chicago is filled with 2-3 Pokestops each block and everywhere exploded with pink incense. Signal interference means you get bounced around the block -- and LOTS of lag.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Isgrimnur wrote:When's the fall date?
I was just contemplating that yesterday. Right now I'm leaning towards October 7th and 8th, but it may be the 28th-29th. Give me a week or two to lock this down.
Godzilla Blitz

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

I've been playing quite a bit since release.

A few thoughts based on what's been said so far.

Gyms are one part of the game, which you can completely ignore if you like. Instead, you can just focus on building up your collection of Pokemon.

You can claim a bonus from holding gyms once every 21 hours, but if you haven't used your claim in 21 hours, you could do so immediately after taking a gym. So you could take over three of four gyms in a short span of time, then claim your bonus. The bonus isn't a big deal, either. It's only 10 Pokecoins and 500 stardust per gym, which is piddling.

You don't have to have the strongest Pokemon to take a gym of a different color. You attack with any six pokemon you choose, so you can overwhelm a gym that has one or two more powerful Pokemon with sheer numbers. Also, even if you only beat one Pokemon in a gym, the gym loses prestige. If it loses enough prestige, it'll drop down a level and the weakest pokemon drops out. If you're patient, you can wear down a stronger gym if you've got enough potions to keep your Pokemon healthy.

Lastly, gyms around here change hands super fast. If a gym is too tough, come back later. It'll likely have changed hands.

Also, it doesn't take much to get a Pokemon to Cp400+, and that's enough to start messing with most gyms at the moment.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Godzilla Blitz wrote:Also, it doesn't take much to get a Pokemon to Cp400+, and that's enough to start messing with most gyms at the moment.
It's easier to level up and start capturing pokemon cp400+ and then pump THEM up. :D

I am feeling a bit better about the game after finding a place with 7 pokestops I can cruise to refill on pokeballs (I ran out for the first time last night).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

And my daughter set up this outside of our church:

Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

My wife went out to pick up our nephew from school this afternoon and take him home. An hour later I get a call from her saying they stopped at the park across the street from his school and they're still hunting.
hentzau wrote:Image
This was our mutt tonight. Her usual "medium" evening walk turned into a long distance wtf as my wife dragged us back to said park to reload on pokeballs. This is the same woman that makes fun of me for playing computer games. :?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Isgrimnur wrote:Enlarge Image
Brilliant.
RLMullen

Post by RLMullen »

I guess I can thank some Ingress players for creating two portals in the lobby of my office building. There are two pokestops with pictures of artwork in our lobby. I don't even need to get up from my desk to hit both of them. There is also a gym in the courtyard of this complex... It is reachable from three of the buildings. Damn thing has been changing hands constantly for the past two days. There are no kids in the area and no one in the courtyard... Grown people are playing this thing from their offices!!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've seen all sorts of Pokemon Go news stories today. Two different bodies were discovered after people wandered into areas that don't usually get much traffic. One fellow wrapped his car around a tree while playing. I just saw a story from San Diego where two men wandered off of a 100-foot cliff playing it.

I almost want to try it out just to see what the fuss is all about (although I've heard it is hard to play in rural areas.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote:I almost want to try it out just to see what the fuss is all about (although I've heard it is hard to play in rural areas.)
Yeah apparently pokemon spawn when people have the app open. The more people in the area with the app open the more spawns. All by your lonesome you probably wouldn't have much luck.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I was walking in downtown St. Augustine last night and there were multiple areas with groups of 10 - 20 people just standing still playing Pokemon Go. I even saw a tourist/golf cart type thing driving around slowly while the 8 people sitting in it all were all playing Pokemon. The driver saw me and just shook his head. This thing is out of control!

All Nintendo needs to do know is put in some subliminal message in the game and the whole world will be under their control.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

It reminded me of that ST:TNG episode where everyone got obsessed to with that game except for Wesley Crusher.
Black Lives Matter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Was out walking this morning (630 AM) and saw a young kid (15-18ish) staring at his phone thought it could be pokemon. Kid didn't look like a local plus he was close to vacation homes. So i asked him if he was playing pokemon go? He said yes. I tried to coax a bit more details from him, asked to look at his phone. But he clearly wanted to disengage from teh conversation with me. He showed me the phone, I asked another question; he said its free and I could download it myself. I told him not gonna do it, privacy stuff plus i dont have the time for it. But I kind of laughed in my head, since the dude clearly didn't want to talk to me. Anyway, surly teen spotted playing pokemon go near the beach. The jokes on him since where I live the mobile connections are cruddy.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:It reminded me of that ST:TNG episode where everyone got obsessed to with that game except for Wesley Crusher.
...and Ashley Judd.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

How could I have forgotten Ashley Judd???!!!
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

If you live north of Atlanta the Marietta Square has about 40+ Pokestops in a 1 mile radius and 3 gyms. It was out of control yestrerday, Half of them were shooting pink out.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Speaking of Pokemon Go and shooting...
Two teens looking for Pokemon were mistaken as thieves looking for a house to rob and ended up getting shot at on Saturday. A man was sleeping in his Palm Coast area home about 1:30 a.m. when a loud noise woke him up. The 37-year-old looked outside and spotted a white car parked in the road outside his Primrose Lane house, said Flagler County Sheriff's Office Jim Troiano. He grabbed his handgun and went outside to investigate. As he came up to the car, he overheard one of the two teens say "did you get anything?" Troiano said. That's when the man stepped in front of the vehicle, thinking they had possibly broken into his home, raised his gun and ordered them not to move, officials said. The vehicle sped towards him and he moved out of its path. He then fired rounds at the vehicle because he said it "was attempting to strike him," Troiano said. Deputies searched the area but couldn't find the vehicle.

The next morning, a mother of one of the teens called authorities to report what had happened. She said her 19-year-old son and his 16-year-old friend were playing Pokemon Go on their smartphones when they were confronted by a man who came out of a home and started shooting at them, authorities said. The mother told deputies the teens did not tell her about the incident until they saw the car had a flat tire and bullet holes in the rear tire, hubcap and fender. Officials talked with the teens who said they were sitting in the car hunting two Pokemon—a Marowak and Tauros. One said "Did you catch him?" and the other responded "Yeah, did you?" That's when the teens said they heard gunfire and sped away, Troiano said. When they got home they checked to see if they were injured or if there was any damage to the vehicle. They didn't see anything and decided not to report it because they thought "it was someone trying to scare them," Troiano said. Officials are continuing to investigate the incident.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

I love that some jerkoff goes out of his way to shoot at something without knowing what's going on and the story is about pokemon go.

This story is about some asshole who shouldn't be allowed to own a gun.

Now available in Canada on iPhone, Android shortly.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Driver admits on Baltimore PD officer's bodycam that he rammed a BPD cruiser (fortunately, empty at the time) at 3AM because he's playing the stupid game WHILE DRIVING.

https://twitter.com/BaltimorePolice/sta ... 7921326080
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I started playing this about a week ago. it's somewhat interesting I think, but I am also not going crazy running around. I am "lucky" though. My job is right next to a pokestop. I am level 10 right now and 90% of that has been farming the spot and the random pokemon that show up. If it wasn't for that I might have lost interest already.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

New York
New York will bar registered sex offenders on parole from playing Pokemon Go over concerns that the wildly popular virtual reality game could help sexual predators lure young victims, state officials said on Monday.

Governor Andrew Cuomo has directed the New York Department of Corrections and Community Supervision to restrict the state's 3,000 sex offenders on parole from using Pokemon Go and similar games, Cuomo's office said in a statement.

To enforce the rule, the state is requesting Pokemon Go developer Niantic, Inc to cross-reference a list of sex offenders provided by the state with its list of players.

New York is also asking the company to remove locations, identified in the game as places where players can win special points, near offenders' homes. Paroled sex offenders will be instructed by their supervisors that playing Pokemon Go or similar games is in violation of their parole, state officials said.
A feature of the game that allows users to lure characters or players for a fee to specific locations, appears to have the potential to be abused by predators, Cuomo said.

The game has been blamed for illegal border crossing from Canada to the United States, prompted a U.S. senator to question the game's maker over privacy concerns, and led to a series of robberies and injures.

The game may also pose special risks to children as it encourages players to explore physical locations to win points.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It's ok. The game is dead as long as they keep the hunting aspect of it broken and killing off any third party attempts to help players with that. In the first week it was possible to use strategery to assist in looking for pokemon. They broke the feature apparently to save server resources. In the latest patch the removed any vestige of that capability and broke the third party apps that were filling the gap. New third party options have popped up by they will likely be targeted as well. The best strategy now is... uhhh... wander around a lot and hope for the best. That is neither fun nor interesting.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

NJ man is suing -- "Get off my lawn!"
In the lawsuit, Marder says that within the first week of the game's release, "strangers began lingering outside of his home with their phones in hand." At least five gamers also knocked on Marder's door asking for permission to catch Pokemon in the homeowner's backyard.

Marder says in the suit that these Pokemon were placed at his West Orange home by the game's developers without his permission.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Be careful of roaming charges while travelling. :wink:
-mf