Independence Day: Resurgence - June 24
The Legend of Tarzan - July 1
Our Kind of Traitor - July 1
The Secret Life of Pets - July 8
Star Trek Beyond - July 22
Jason Bourne - July 29
Suicide Squad - August 5
Sausage Party - August 12

I've not kept pace with the Bourne movies. I don't recall if I saw second one in its entirity, doubt I've seen the third, and know I haven't see Renner's.

Sausage Party is provisional based on reviews. As, I suppose are all of them. But Seth Rogen has a short leash with me.

So what are you looking forward to? Any I should add to the list?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Re: Summer 2016 Movies

Post by stessier »

My list

Captain America: Civil War - May 15 - Seen - liked it
Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising - May 20 (I liked the first one well enough to check out this one)
X-Men: Apocalypse - May 27 (Definitely)
Finding Dory - June 17
Independence Day: Resurgence - June 24 (so weird they don't wait a week to release this one)
Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - July 8 (might change my mind once opinions start rolling in, but has promise)
Bad Moms - July 29 (this could be very, very funny)
Jason Bourne - July 29 (I haven't seen all the others yet, so might wait for the DVD)
Suicide Squad - August 5
Pete's Dragon - August 12 (probably with the kids)
Sausage Party - August 12 (again, might change with reviews)
Spectral - August 12 (don't know much, but doesn't look horrible)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

X-Men: Apocalypse - May 27 - YES
Warcraft - June 10 - MAYBE, but probably not
Suicide Squad - August 5 - MAYBE, depends on reviews

Only going off your list because I am too lazy to look at what else is out there. Most of them, I don't even know what they are.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

X-Men: Apocalypse - May 27 - Theater
Warcraft - June 10 - Wait til Video
Finding Dory - June 17 - Video
Independence Day: Resurgence - June 24 - Video, probably, unless I'm bored or something.
The Legend of Tarzan - July 1 - Not interested
Our Kind of Traitor - July 1 - Video
The Secret Life of Pets - July 8 - Video
Star Trek Beyond - July 22 - Video, probably
Jason Bourne - July 29 - Video, probably
Suicide Squad - August 5 - Theater
Sausage Party - August 12 - Video, maybe

Takes quite a movie to get me to go to the theater anymore.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'll definitely see Star Trek. A few of the rest will make my netflix queue if their reviews are good.

No love for the Ghostbusters reboot, or is that not a summer flick?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken wrote:No love for the Ghostbusters reboot, or is that not a summer flick?
The former.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Nothing on my radar but I'm dismayed to see that Sausage Party drops on my birthday. Not a good omen.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Nothing on my radar but I'm dismayed to see that Sausage Party drops on my birthday. Not a good omen.
It's up to you to turn it into a clam jam.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

I want to go see the Nice Guys this weekend. I rewatched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang last weekend and I'm in the mood for another Shane Black film. And early reviews are great at 94% on RT.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote:Let's see what I'm interested in seeing:

X-Men: Apocalypse - May 27 Video
Warcraft - June 10 No
Finding Dory - June 17 No
Independence Day: Resurgence - June 24 Video
The Legend of Tarzan - July 1 No
Our Kind of Traitor - July 1 ?
The Secret Life of Pets - July 8 No
Star Trek Beyond - July 22 Video
Jason Bourne - July 29 Video
Suicide Squad - August 5 ?
Sausage Party - August 12 I'll say no to be on the safe side

I've not kept pace with the Bourne movies. I don't recall if I saw second one in its entirity, doubt I've seen the third, and know I haven't see Renner's.

The last one (I think?) was filmed in part in Manila when I was last there. It was as enjoyable as the others.

So what are you looking forward to? Any I should add to the list?
I have an 8-pass outing for Hollywood Palms that turns into a pumpkin at the end of the month. Given his fascination with the short videos in the games, we might take the kid to see the Angry Birds movie.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V wrote: Our Kind of Traitor - July 1 ?
A couple find themselves lured into a Russian oligarch's plans to defect are soon positioned between the Russian Mafia and the British Secret Service, neither of whom they can trust
Ewan McGregor, Damian Lewis, Naomie Harris, and Stellan Skarsgård, based on a John le Carré novel.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

A movie that's got me incredibly interested is Affleck's The Accountant. Although technically it's a fall 2016 movie.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Jeff V wrote: Our Kind of Traitor - July 1 ?
A couple find themselves lured into a Russian oligarch's plans to defect are soon positioned between the Russian Mafia and the British Secret Service, neither of whom they can trust
Ewan McGregor, Damian Lewis, Naomie Harris, and Stellan Skarsgård, based on a John le Carré novel.
Thank you! Put me down for "Video" on that one.

All movies I marked video are pending if and when Amazon Prime or HBO has it on.
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

There are a bunch of upcoming movies that I'd like to see (Swiss Army Man!), but the cost of a babysitter makes going out super-expensive. We'll probably go for the new Star Trek, but that may be it for the summer.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I'm going to go with Seen:

Everybody Wants Some!!

Linklater's "spiritual" sequel to Dazed and Confused, is just that. A lot of low key fun with the comedy based on characters/situations rather than hitting you over the head with it

Captain America: Civil War

Essentially Avengers 3, but with Spider-Man. They could have completely dropped Spider-Man and it wouldn't make much of a difference plot-wise, but the humor and fun wouldn't have been the same (though Ant-Man was fantastic - have to see that one soon!). Maybe the best Avengers movie yet, though the conflict is a bit murky and could have used a bit more exposition about "the accords", etc.

Finding Dory

Not quite Finding Nemo, but still a lot of fun. One of Pixar's better sequels and the short "Piper" before it is breathtakingly beautiful, and cute to boot!
Last edited by Pyperkub on Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jeff V wrote: I have an 8-pass outing for Hollywood Palms that turns into a pumpkin at the end of the month. Given his fascination with the short videos in the games, we might take the kid to see the Angry Birds movie.
Tried and failed. Despite watching the trailers over and over on his Kindle for months, the kid couldn't have been less interested in the movie, and therefore was not the least bit inclined to sit still. To the relief of the rest of the theater, I removed him about halfway through and waited in the lobby until it was over (wife and her friends were there watching it).

I'll try again when he is 27.
Black Lives Matter
geezer

Post by geezer »

Jeff V wrote:
Jeff V wrote: I have an 8-pass outing for Hollywood Palms that turns into a pumpkin at the end of the month. Given his fascination with the short videos in the games, we might take the kid to see the Angry Birds movie.
Tried and failed. Despite watching the trailers over and over on his Kindle for months, the kid couldn't have been less interested in the movie, and therefore was not the least bit inclined to sit still.
:doh:
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

The three listed below, plus I'll be seeing "The Secret Lives of Pets" and "Finding Dory" with
my daughter and wife.

Jason Bourne - July 29
Suicide Squad - August 5
stessier

Post by stessier »

Recently saw

Secret Life of Pets - :binky: :binky: out of :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: - worth seeing but the theater setting doesn't add anything to the experience. Saw in 2D. Enjoyable, but only a light comedy lacking any true depth that could have pushed it up the rankings.

Central Intelligence - :binky: :binky: out of :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: - worth seeing but the theater setting doesn't add anything to the experience. Saw in 2D. I enjoy Dwayne Johnson and found this fun but it, too, missed a bit in the heart department which, had it been present, would have made this great. To really enjoy this, I would suggest avoiding any information about it and go in blind.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I saw Secret Life of Pets as well. It was cute and funny, and there are certainly worse family films you could take the kids to.

The downside is that I've seen enough of these types of films at this point that the formula is starting to wear a little thin. You cram it with 20 different A-list celebrities to do the voice acting, and use the star power to cover up any deficiencies in the plot or characters.

I enjoyed the film on the level of an amusing lark to take the kids to, but the story was an absolute mess. Too many characters, multiple subplots that don't really go anywhere - it's like they threw everything they could at the wall in the hopes that some of it would stick. Off the top of my head I thought of TEN main characters, which is kind of ridiculous, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.
Last edited by YellowKing on Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

X-Men: Apocalypse - May 27
Warcraft - June 10
Finding Dory - June 17
Jason Bourne - July 29
Suicide Squad - August 5

I've seen X-Men and Tarzan. Both were okay, nothing to write home about. I didn't think Tarzan was as bad as the savagery that RT has given it (36%).

Warcraft and ID:R will wait for video based on the horrible reviews and bad word-of-mouth.

The wife has decided that she's not interested in seeing Finding Dory, and isn't into spy movies like I am, so FD and Our Kind of Traitor should be Saturday matinees for me while she's at work.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Default »

In for Suicide Squad, the rest only if the gf wants to see one.

Not much ambition this summer.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pyperkub wrote:I'm going to go with Seen:

Everybody Wants Some!!

Linklater's "spiritual" sequel to Dazed and Confused, is just that. A lot of low key fun with the comedy based on characters/situations rather than hitting you over the head with it

Captain America: Civil War

Essentially Avengers 3, but with Spider-Man. They could have completely dropped Spider-Man and it wouldn't make much of a difference plot-wise, but the humor and fun wouldn't have been the same (though Ant-Man was fantastic - have to see that one soon!). Maybe the best Avengers movie yet, though the conflict is a bit murky and could have used a bit more exposition about "the accords", etc.

Finding Dory

Not quite Finding Nemo, but still a lot of fun. One of Pixar's better sequels and the short "Piper" before it is breathtakingly beautiful, and cute to boot!
bump to add Finding Dory

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'm hoping to go see Legend of Tarzan this week before it's out of the theaters. I was concerned by the horrible reviews but I have a friend who is a fellow ERB nut and he loved it, so I'm going to give it a try.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Lobster may be one of the most bizarre, unique, fascinating, frightening, funny and (ultimately) original films I've seen in years. It's like a Kafka novel ghost written by Louis C.K.. I'd advise going in blind if you bow to the whims of the numerous critics putting this on their "best of" lists already.
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur wrote:The Secret Life of Pets - July 8
8-) Because this color is blinding.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

So I made it out last night to see Legend of Tarzan and I was not disappointed in the least. I was a bit taken aback by the role that Sam Jackson's character played, thinking it was atypical of the time, but a quick search when I got home said that it was in fact historically plausible. So, that taken care of, and if you fully buy into the tropes of Tarzan, it was a lot of fun.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Saw Legend of Tarzan yesterday, thanks to your recommendation. It was fun, but as Issie wrote earlier, it wasn't anything to write home about.

I appreciated the attempt to make a serious film instead of a Michael Bay knock off. And there were quite a few little touches I liked (his explanation of why his hands were oddly shaped at one point). But I would've preferred less CGI and more live action. I also found Skarsgård's British accent a little offputting. I fully understand that English isn't even his first language, and the fact that he can even attempt the nuance of an accent in a different language is remarkable, but it still seemed to shift in and out at times.

My favorite part though was when the CGI gorillas surrounded the enemy natives towards the end of the film, and the actors playing the natives had to play off things that weren't really there. There was one tribesman who kept thrusting his spear at an empty space as they obviously didn't add in a gorilla where they told him they would. :lol:
He won. Period.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I saw Mike and Dave need Wedding Dates yesterday. It stars Zac Effron, Adam DeVine, Anna Kendrick and Aubrey Plaza. I saw it described as a raunchy comedy on RottenTomatoes and that's about right. The theater I saw it in was nearly full and it wasn't until we were walking out that I realized it was almost all teenage girls and women. The plot is that Mike and Dave have screwed up family functions their entire lives and now that their little sister is getting married, their parents have insisted they bring "good girls" to the wedding believing they will keep Mike and Dave under control. The wedding is in Hawaii and so the good girls they find are really bad girls looking for a vacation. Comedy and high jinks ensue. RottenTomatoes has it at 33% right now with the users giving it a 66%. I think the users are right - I laughed way more in this one than in Ghostbusters. There is a massage scene that is worth the price of admission alone.

I posted in the individual threads, but to keep it all together, I also saw Ghostbusters and Star Trek Beyond.

Ghostbusters was good - better than I was expecting and worth seeing. It was funnier when it wasn't paying homage to the old cast and I really liked all the characters except for Kristen Wiig. The story was decent and the new tech was entertaining. I'd watch the hinted at sequel.

Star Trek was very, very good. I liked the story (although I thought the native helper was underutilized) and really like the music. I saw this in IMAX 3D and really enjoyed it. I actually thought about watching it again - which is very, very rare for me.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just got done with The Secret Life of Pets. Kevin Hart does a really good job as the rabbit. It was a cute movie, but not top tier. It doesn't quite hit the emotions as some of the better animated films, but it's worth a watch.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I saw Bad Moms last night.

I like all type of movies and it doesn't have to be aimed at my demo for me to enjoy it. This, though, is totally a movie for women. There were some funny parts and I enjoyed the main characters' acting (Kristen Bell was particularly fun), but it was really just a sustained fantasy about a world the women want, not one that could ever actually be. The women in the theater were having a blast, though, so it really must be a me problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pete's Dragon opened in 3rd place behind week 2 of Suicide Squad and the opening of Sausage Party. RT has it at 86%, user reviews at 82%.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

X-Men: Apocalypse - May 27
Warcraft - June 10
Finding Dory - June 17
Jason Bourne - July 29
Suicide Squad - August 5

Looks like I've missed out on seeing Finding Dory and Our Kind of Traitor in theaters, so those will be video rentals, as likely will be Bourne.

Star Trek was the best of the tree reboot films, though still not OMG stellar. Suicide Squad was decent, left me with a better experience than BvS.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I took the kids to see Secret Life of Pets last weekend. The commercial looked terrible, but it was pretty good for a kids movie. I was pleasantly surprised.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote:X-Men: Apocalypse - May 27 - YES
Warcraft - June 10 - MAYBE, but probably not
Suicide Squad - August 5 - MAYBE, depends on reviews

Only going off your list because I am too lazy to look at what else is out there. Most of them, I don't even know what they are.
My bar was set pretty low and I still managed to fail. I saw Suicide Squad and that was it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I haven't even really seen anything this summer. Just no interest in what's out there.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Oh Boy, was that great!

Saw the TCM showing of Animal House

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Got free tickets for these, so went to see them opening week:

Warcraft
Independence Day: Resurgence
Suicide Squad

I think that's about 3 times more movies than we saw in theaters last year :)

I still want to see X-Men: Apocalypse, Star Trek: Beyond and Jason Bourne, but those will be rentals.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Weekend results

War Dogs, Kubo and the Two Strings, and Ben Hur, released this weekend, all fail to bump off Suicide Squad and Sausage Party from the top 2 spots in their third and second weeks, respectively.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Took the kids to see PETE'S DRAGON this weekend.

I was fully prepared to hate this movie because the original is one of my all-time childhood favorites. Also, I can't stand Bryce Dallas Howard. She's the equivalent of looping a concrete block around your movie's neck to drag it down. However, the positive critical response allowed me to at least go in with an open mind.

Basically you could call this a "re-imagining" of Pete's Dragon, because it bears almost no resemblance to the original movie other than a boy named Pete and a dragon named Elliott. Everything else was thrown out. The zany comedy gone, the scary villains gone, the musical numbers gone - basically anything that made the original unique and special was ripped out and replaced with generic Disney movie sappiness. Unlike the original's bright palette, this movie is downright dismal - it seems like it was filmed in a perpetual gray/blue filter. I also thought it really plodding, and it seemed much longer than its 90 minutes.

However, as bad as all that sounds, there are some redeeming qualities. First off, they actually improved greatly on Elliott. He is re-imagined as this big, somewhat goofy mix of a dog and a cat, right down to green fur instead of scales. While I was turned off by this in the previews, by the end of the movie I was totally in love with this version. That "pet"-like quality works perfectly to build the relationship between Pete and Elliott, and you wind up growing just as attached to him as Pete was. That's something the original could never really pull off. And they feature a LOT of Elliott in this movie - he is absolutely the star of the film and I was really surprised at how they didn't shy away from the effects budget and put him in every frame they could.

Bryce Dallas Howard is still dull as dishwater, but her brand of blandness actually worked pretty well in this film. It at least didn't detract from it. The kid who plays Pete is also terrific.

The biggest kudos I can give it, though, is that my kids absolutely loved it - and really, that's all that matters. They're the target audience, and Disney hit a home run as far as mine were concerned. My little one (four years old) told me after the movie, "Daddy, the movie made me cry a little bit but that's OK." That really struck me, as I've never seen a movie impact him emotionally in that way. I look back on movies that made an emotional impact on me at a young age like E.T. and what a powerful effect that is, and I realized that years from now this might be one of his "E.T. moments." So bravo for that.

While I'll always love the original, I do realize that the brand of wackiness in that film would never really work today. It was a product of its time. But the core theme of it was important, and it was nice to see Disney be able to extract the "soul" of the movie and apply it to a new generation in a way that speaks to them.